Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I get the impression the Reapers want zero casualties though, at least in terms of their main forms

Like they could win a war easily but even losing one Reaper is a big deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

I always took the important message of this dlc as being David’s brother is a loving monster.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The verbiage “his autistic mind” was a terribly worded line even back then though, yeesh.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

A line delivered by said monstrous lovely brother, who is inserted as a character who clearly does not actually understand or want to understand the autism his brother lives with.

Just about the only part of that article I agree with is that there should have been an option to just dome the fucker right off the bat once shep realized what was up.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 5, 2021

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
You do get to hit him and yell at him and then let him die alone in the sequel.

Nobody actually leaves David there right?

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
You may not be able to kill him but I'm pretty sure even picking the evil option to leave David with him so his experiment continues has an interrupt to pistol whip him and shame him for what he's done?

It most definitely was not a "story about a sympathetic abuser that's mostly interested in the abuser’s feelings and experience"

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Yeah I'm not even arguing that there aren't options that end with fuckstick there getting his (which the article in question seems to be) I just think there should have been one for just offing the guy. That's it that's my one point of agreement with the writer.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Seemlar posted:

You may not be able to kill him but I'm pretty sure even picking the evil option to leave David with him so his experiment continues has an interrupt to pistol whip him and shame him for what he's done?

It most definitely was not a "story about a sympathetic abuser that's mostly interested in the abuser’s feelings and experience"

Even the Paragon option lets you pistol whip and righteously shame him for being an utter irredeemable monster. And then you can be continue to rub in his face what a monster he is in ME3.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I never actually played Overlord, but weirdly it's one of the OT things specifically referenced in Andromeda. The whole "anti-AI terrorist group" storyline centers on a woman whose son was injured by the Overlord experiments

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
It was prob my favorite dlc in the series, very spooky vibes

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I mostly remember it for having boring gameplay.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Oh and being one of the only bits of ME2 to reference Shepard being a cyborg

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Horizon Burning posted:

lmfao

"I love the Mass Effect games. I’ll buy and play the Legendary Edition. The series means a lot to me and the horrors of Overlord haven’t completely overridden that, just as the lack of queer romance options, other poor handling of disabled characters, or issues framing women didn’t override my love for the series. "

this is terrible and an atrocity and depiction equals endorsement and I'm going to pay you for it TWICE OVER

Yeah if you're gonna be that upset over it take a principled stand and don't buy the game again? This guy was literally shaking and crying they were so upset playing Overlord and yet they're gonna shovel that money towards the Legendary edition.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah if you're gonna be that upset over it take a principled stand and don't buy the game again? This guy was literally shaking and crying they were so upset playing Overlord and yet they're gonna shovel that money towards the Legendary edition.

unless the cause is "harrass women" gamers are incapable of meaningful action

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Horizon Burning posted:

lmfao

"I love the Mass Effect games. I’ll buy and play the Legendary Edition. The series means a lot to me and the horrors of Overlord haven’t completely overridden that, just as the lack of queer romance options, other poor handling of disabled characters, or issues framing women didn’t override my love for the series. "

this is terrible and an atrocity and depiction equals endorsement and I'm going to pay you for it TWICE OVER

it's possibly a bad thing that i burst out laughing at that

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Psycho Landlord posted:

A line delivered by said monstrous lovely brother, who is inserted as a character who clearly does not actually understand or want to understand the autism his brother lives with.

Just about the only part of that article I agree with is that there should have been an option to just dome the fucker right off the bat once shep realized what was up.

I don't understand how you play that DLC and come away with the impression that Gavin is in any way sympathetic. He's a monster through and through.
Though I thought if you don't pull an interrupt Shepard domes him on the spot, though maybe I'm thinking of Maelon.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The best part is in ME3 where you can simply forget to tell him that you rescued his brother and he'll wander off screen and shoot himself in the head.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Seemlar posted:

The Renegade option is you punch him and tell him he's loving trash who deserves to die, but the research is too valuable to avoid war with the geth. The pistol whip is in the Paragon option lol

This is ME2 Renegade too, where you're the "It's cool that your family died, this universe is better off without your weak bloodline" to your own squadmates guy. That cartoon rear end in a top hat isn't even on board.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I always thought ME2 Renegade was the most reasonable Renegade to be fair, compared to ME1's Space Racist and ME3's Giant War Criminal. More borderline sociopath than actual sociopath.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
To be fair the renegade background option is literally a war criminal so they kind of give you that framing right out of the gate

Not like we don't have a bunch of venerated war criminals considered heroes in the modern day so its not exactly unrealistic either

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Whorelord posted:

I always thought ME2 Renegade was the most reasonable Renegade to be fair, compared to ME1's Space Racist and ME3's Giant War Criminal. More borderline sociopath than actual sociopath.

Story mission Renegade Shepard is fine. But because they need to fill out nearly every conversation with Renegade options to let you fill the bar up, a lot of side missions and squad dialogue has you be such an unbelievable rear end in a top hat you wonder why someone doesn't 'accidentally' put a bullet in Shepard during a training exercise.

Samara doesn't need to take your poo poo.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Having read through that Vice article I will definitely play through Overlord again with an eye for how it handles the subject of autism and David. In my memory (and I've completed the DLC multiple times) I feel like the story is judging Gavin as unequivocally a monster for everything he has done - it is mostly from his perspective of the project rather than David's, but every shot we do get reinforced that Gavin is a piece of poo poo. It is unfortunate there is no option for immediate 'judgement' for Gavin but he certainly can get his just desserts in 3.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Samara outright tells you she might need to dust you when all is said and done.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
And for a complete 180 in mood here ---

Make your own wallpaper?

https://www.ea.com/games/mass-effect/mass-effect-legendary-edition/my-shepard-art-creator

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Aphrodite posted:

Story mission Renegade Shepard is fine. But because they need to fill out nearly every conversation with Renegade options to let you fill the bar up, a lot of side missions and squad dialogue has you be such an unbelievable rear end in a top hat you wonder why someone doesn't 'accidentally' put a bullet in Shepard during a training exercise.

Samara doesn't need to take your poo poo.

Yeah tbf when I did renegade I only really used the dialogue options against dickheads (like everyone on Noveria) and for the one liners like when you threaten to sell a guy's balls to a krogan, fun stuff like that.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

still on the fence whether or not to give them my money again given their track record but i def. messed around with this and got some decent looking wallpapers so kudos to them for putting this up (low effort, low hanging fruit i know but :bioware:).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Let us choose the same person multiple times, cowards.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Aphrodite posted:

Let us choose the same person multiple times, cowards.

Give it a few hours, someone on Reddit will have an All-Garrus wallpaper for us to use

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

thrilla in vanilla posted:

I always took the important message of this dlc as being David’s brother is a loving monster.

yeah like i agree with the authors overall point but i think they are sorta full of poo poo and this whole paragraph

quote:

I ended up replaying the final fight over and over again, just so I could try to find a different ending for that conversation with Dr. Gavin Archer. I was trembling and crying and determined to find the set of dialogue choices which let me shoot the guy—or even arrest him. But that choice simply doesn’t exist. Overlord gave me no option to punish Gavin. There was no choice in which I could begin to find justice (or even retribution) for David. I couldn’t find a way to make Shepard see Gavin Archer’s actions as wholly unsympathetic.

made me roll my loving, like as someone with physical and mental disabilities(idk what the pc word is) i get everyone has their breaking point and society is loving poo poo towards disabled folks of all types. but i get loving annoyed at times with this poo poo. you never hear these folks "crying" over how its loving hard to get a job in a wheelchair or how alot of places are completely inaccessible and you have to go online to see if places are handicap friendly before you visit. like again i get it. but this guy is just mad that you can't just shoot the tosser in the head.

DourCricket posted:

Having read through that Vice article I will definitely play through Overlord again with an eye for how it handles the subject of autism and David. In my memory (and I've completed the DLC multiple times) I feel like the story is judging Gavin as unequivocally a monster for everything he has done - it is mostly from his perspective of the project rather than David's, but every shot we do get reinforced that Gavin is a piece of poo poo. It is unfortunate there is no option for immediate 'judgement' for Gavin but he certainly can get his just desserts in 3.

yeah this. i think it could have been handled way better but i think its handled better than the author says it is.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 5, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Performance details -

https://www.ea.com/games/mass-effect/mass-effect-legendary-edition/performance-details

PC can go up to 240fps!! - Hot drat.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pattonesque posted:

I get the impression the Reapers want zero casualties though, at least in terms of their main forms

Like they could win a war easily but even losing one Reaper is a big deal

Yeah this is true, since the implication in ME2 at least is that building another Reaper essentially requires harvesting huge amounts of organic material, which of course they can only do once every 50,000 years, and that's just the lovely human Reaper that you blow up using regular-rear end guns, not the really big ones.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Did anyone post this?

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1390005818867679232?s=19

Per EA's site download will be available until May 31st or whenever the 'download threshold will be reached' whatever that means

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah this is true, since the implication in ME2 at least is that building another Reaper essentially requires harvesting huge amounts of organic material, which of course they can only do once every 50,000 years, and that's just the lovely human Reaper that you blow up using regular-rear end guns, not the really big ones.

yeah and even with a few hundred million years or a billion years that's not THAT many Reapers. And if I'm an immortal machine god I would be very put off if I, like, died

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
It's a fair assumption that slow boating it from dark space put the Reapers at a disadvantage because they could not fill up on Mass Effects or human-goo or whatever they use for energy. Which would give added meaning to Shepards twarting them in the previous two games and why they would fixate on her.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think the general idea was that until this cycle, the Reapers enjoyed the benefit of catching the galaxy completely unprepared through their Citadel backdoor and didn't need huge numbers to overwhelm all civilization. But then this was kind of contradicted in ME3 with the Protheans fighting a centuries-long battle against the Reapers.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Randomly remembered that shepards terrifying vision of the future in the prothean beacon is a bunch of pizza cheese melting on a motherboard, oh for the days when bioware had no money.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I think the general idea was that until this cycle, the Reapers enjoyed the benefit of catching the galaxy completely unprepared through their Citadel backdoor and didn't need huge numbers to overwhelm all civilization. But then this was kind of contradicted in ME3 with the Protheans fighting a centuries-long battle against the Reapers.

The Protheans were unusual in that they had a more-or-less united (through subjugation) galaxy and could resist more effectively. But they lost the war the minute they lost the Citadel. which was the first minute IIRC

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 5, 2021

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

I'd assume that Reapers while being hard to kill are also expensive to replace so it would make sense that they would want to limit casualties as much as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Randomly remembered that shepards terrifying vision of the future in the prothean beacon is a bunch of pizza cheese melting on a motherboard, oh for the days when bioware had no money.

That is the real future of the Synthesis ending and the Proteans were rightly afraid.