Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Phy posted:

and the tailrotor doesn't need to be engaged here because no real torque is transmitted to the helicopter like during powered flight.

n.b.: the tail rotor is geared directly to the main rotor so as long as the main is turning, the tail is too. you're correct that there is far less torque to deal with, but you still need the tail rotor for yaw control. even in autorotation you can use the pedals, which adjust the pitch of the tail rotor, to point the nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

n.b.: the tail rotor is geared directly to the main rotor so as long as the main is turning, the tail is too. you're correct that there is far less torque to deal with, but you still need the tail rotor for yaw control. even in autorotation you can use the pedals, which adjust the pitch of the tail rotor, to point the nose.

Ah, my bad. Somehow I got it in my head that the "freewheel" mechanism was for the main rotor only and downstream of the drive for the tail, so that you could have engine stop/freewheeling main/dead tail.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
As others have mentioned, a helicopter is fully controllable with an engine out, except for the fact that you are going down whether you like it or not. The big difference for me is that a helicopter can autorotate straight down if needed, and all forward momentum can be bled before touchdown. A plane has to be doing x speed to be flying, and you have to hope that you have a landing site large enough to lose that speed before you start hitting things.

There is a reaction time window to execute an autorotation, outside of which you are hosed, but training should take care of this.

This is a helicopter landing with no engine power:

https://youtu.be/tPP7RQX3xiM

As is this one (EDM outta nowhere warning after the intro):

https://youtu.be/0DqYXlfXOqA

As is this one:

https://youtu.be/-f2UQ6tIJEY

You have options:

https://youtu.be/7wFBUAZi5XU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Don't forget helicopters have a lot more (irrevocably fatal) failure modes than fixed-wing aircraft. A gearbox failure in your Cessna basically leaves you in the same position as an engine failure, but in a helicopter it puts you in the same position as a brick 4,000 feet up, only with slightly more awareness of what's going to happen to you. Ditto blade failures - as long as it doesn't come through the cockpit when it goes you can glide safely, but autorotation isn't going to work.

There's also of all the "Yeah you're loving dead" failures afflicting components planes don't even have, like tail rotors and their driveshafts, swash plates or whatever other linkages they have to the rotors, and of course individual choppers have their own extremely fun things, from the early one I can't remember the name of where fatigue failures could rip the entire engine, rotors still attached, out of the frame, to the Chinook, the only aircraft that can have a mid-air collision with itself (certain maneuvers can flex the rotors sufficiently that they touch, with fun consequences).

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

My dad was a small aircraft and heli pilot, and had this quote hung up on his wall. This applies well to motorcycling

He also did a lot of mechanical work on small craft, probably one of those fields were being an insufferable perfectionist was a bonus. And part of why I hate wrenching so much to this day!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I read a little thing once written by a Luftwaffe pilot :godwin: talking about the similarities between flying and motorcycling, after noticing that all pilots (or at least all fighter pilots) also ride motorcycles. Banking into turns instead of away from them was the most obvious, but there's also the direct mapping of the stick/handlebars to a control position vs the indefinite nature of the steering wheel's angle, the necessity of compensating for crosswinds to track a straight line, the way the vehicle pushes back on the controls and allows you to feel how it's flying/riding by the torque it's giving you, the immediacy of connection to the wind and weather. There's definitely a relationship there.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 4, 2021

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Thanks for the extremely informative posts, I learned lots.

Twisto's argument about helicopters having a greater variety of instantly-fatal possible malfunctions is the one that makes me prefer planes.

Sagebrush posted:

I read a little thing once written by a Luftwaffe pilot :godwin: talking about the similarities between flying and motorcycling, after noticing that all pilots (or at least all fighter pilots) also ride motorcycles. Banking into turns instead of away from them was the most obvious, but there's also the direct mapping of the stick/handlebars to a control position vs the indefinite nature of the steering wheel's angle, the necessity of compensating for crosswinds to track a straight line, the way the vehicle pushes back on the controls and allows you to feel how it's flying/riding by the torque it's giving you, the immediacy of connection to the wind and weather. There's definitely a relationship there.

Imo it's the difference between merely operating, and actually understanding. It's impossible to get beyond a certain (very low and basic) level in riding without understanding how the bike works, because that's what gives you context to judge feedback against and ultimately have some sort of gauge of whether you're doing a good job.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Slavvy posted:

Thanks for the extremely informative posts, I learned lots.

Twisto's argument about helicopters having a greater variety of instantly-fatal possible malfunctions is the one that makes me prefer planes.

Imo it's the difference between merely operating, and actually understanding. It's impossible to get beyond a certain (very low and basic) level in riding without understanding how the bike works, because that's what gives you context to judge feedback against and ultimately have some sort of gauge of whether you're doing a good job.

Try gliding.

No need to worry about an engine out when you don't have one to start with. :thunk:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gliding is like having someone on a motorbike tow you and your bicycle to a really tall hill so you can whee down without having to pedal up beforehand.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Gliding is like having someone on a motorbike tow you and your bicycle to a really tall hill so you can whee down without having to pedal up beforehand.

That sounds pretty rad tbh

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Slavvy posted:

What are thermals in this analogy?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

What are thermals in this analogy?

Huffed farts emanating from a roadside cafe.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Slavvy posted:

Huffed farts emanating from a roadside cafe.

:discourse:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Talking of pilots as bikers, TE Lawrence was of course both, and was doing the "racing a fighter" thing 50 years before Tom Cruise got rid of his first body Thetan:

quote:

The Road
The extravagance in which my surplus emotion expressed itself lay on the road. So long as roads were tarred blue and straight; not hedged; and empty and dry, so long I was rich.

Nightly I’d run up from the hangar, upon the last stroke of work, spurring my tired feet to be nimble. The very movement refreshed them, after the day-long restraint of service. In five minutes my bed would be down, ready for the night: in four more I was in breeches and puttees, pulling on my gauntlets as I walked over to my bike, which lived in a garage-hut, opposite. Its tyres never wanted air, its engine had a habit of starting at second kick: a good habit, for only by frantic plunges upon the starting pedal could my puny weight force the engine over the seven atmospheres of its compression.

Boanerges’ first glad roar at being alive again nightly jarred the huts of Cadet College into life. ‘There he goes, the noisy bugger,’ someone would say enviously in every flight. It is part of an airman’s profession to be knowing with engines: and a thoroughbred engine is our undying satisfaction. The camp wore the virtue of my Brough like a flower in its cap. Tonight Tug and Dusty came to the step of our hut to see me off. ‘Running down to Smoke, perhaps?’ jeered Dusty; hitting at my regular game of London and back for tea on fine Wednesday afternoons.

Boa is a top-gear machine, as sweet in that as most single-cylinders in middle. I chug lordlily past the guard-room and through the speed limit at no more than sixteen. Round the bend, past the farm, and the way straightens. Now for it. The engine’s final development is fifty-two horse-power. A miracle that all this docile strength waits behind one tiny lever for the pleasure of my hand.

Another bend: and I have the honour of one of England’ straightest and fastest roads. The burble of my exhaust unwound like a long cord behind me. Soon my speed snapped it, and I heard only the cry of the wind which my battering head split and fended aside. The cry rose with my speed to a shriek: while the air’s coldness streamed like two jets of iced water into my dissolving eyes. I screwed them to slits, and focused my sight two hundred yards ahead of me on the empty mosaic of the tar’s gravelled undulations.

Like arrows the tiny flies pricked my cheeks: and sometimes a heavier body, some house-fly or beetle, would crash into face or lips like a spent bullet. A glance at the speedometer: seventy-eight. Boanerges is warming up. I pull the throttle right open, on the top of the slope, and we swoop flying across the dip, and up-down up-down the switchback beyond: the weighty machine launching itself like a projectile with a whirr of wheels into the air at the take-off of each rise, to land lurchingly with such a snatch of the driving chain as jerks my spine like a rictus.

Once we so fled across the evening light, with the yellow sun on my left, when a huge shadow roared just overhead. A Bristol Fighter, from Whitewash Villas, our neighbour aerodrome, was banking sharply round. I checked speed an instant to wave: and the slip-stream of my impetus snapped my arm and elbow astern, like a raised flail. The pilot pointed down the road towards Lincoln. I sat hard in the saddle, folded back my ears and went away after him, like a dog after a hare. Quickly we drew abreast, as the impulse of his dive to my level exhausted itself.

The next mile of road was rough. I braced my feet into the rests, thrust with my arms, and clenched my knees on the tank till its rubber grips goggled under my thighs. Over the first pot-hole Boanerges screamed in surprise, its mud-guard bottoming with a yawp upon the tyre. Through the plunges of the next ten seconds I clung on, wedging my gloved hand in the throttle lever so that no bump should close it and spoil our speed. Then the bicycle wrenched sideways into three long ruts: it swayed dizzily, wagging its tail for thirty awful yards. Out came the clutch, the engine raced freely: Boa checked and straightened his head with a shake, as a Brough should.

The bad ground was passed and on the new road our flight became birdlike. My head was blown out with air so that my ears had failed and we seemed to whirl soundlessly between the sun-gilt stubble fields. I dared, on a rise, to slow imperceptibly and glance sideways into the sky. There the Bif was, two hundred yards and more back. Play with the fellow? Why not? I slowed to ninety: signalled with my hand for him to overtake. Slowed ten more: sat up. Over he rattled. His passenger, a helmeted and goggled grin, hung out of the cock-pit to pass me the ‘Up yer’ Raf randy greeting.

They were hoping I was a flash in the pan, giving them best. Open went my throttle again. Boa crept level, fifty feet below: held them: sailed ahead into the clean and lonely country. An approaching car pulled nearly into its ditch at the sight of our race. The Bif was zooming among the trees and telegraph poles, with my scurrying spot only eighty yards ahead. I gained though, gained steadily: was perhaps five miles an hour the faster. Down went my left hand to give the engine two extra dollops of oil, for fear that something was running hot: but an overhead Jap twin, super-tuned like this one, would carry on to the moon and back, unfaltering.

We drew near the settlement. A long mile before the first houses I closed down and coasted to the cross-roads by the hospital. Bif caught up, banked, climbed and turned for home, waving to me as long as he was in sight. Fourteen miles from camp, we are, here: and fifteen minutes since I left Tug and Dusty at the hut door.

I let in the clutch again, and eased Boanerges down the hill along the tram-lines through the dirty streets and up-hill to the aloof cathedral, where it stood in frigid perfection above the cowering close. No message of mercy in Lincoln. Our God is a jealous God: and man’s very best offering will fall disdainfully short of worthiness, in the sight of Saint Hugh and his angels.

Remigius, earthy old Remigius, looks with more charity on and Boanerges. I stabled the steel magnificence of strength and speed at his west door and went in: to find the organist practising something slow and rhythmical, like a multiplication table in notes on the organ. The fretted, unsatisfying and unsatisfied lace-work of choir screen and spandrels drank in the main sound. Its surplus spilled thoughtfully into my ears.

By then my belly had forgotten its lunch, my eyes smarted and streamed. Out again, to sluice my head under the White Hart’s yard-pump. A cup of real chocolate and a muffin at the teashop: and Boa and I took the Newark road for the last hour of daylight. He ambles at forty-five and when roaring his utmost, surpasses the hundred. A skittish motor-bike with a touch of blood in it is better than all the riding animals on earth, because of its logical extension of our faculties, and the hint, the provocation, to excess conferred by its honeyed untiring smoothness. Because Boa loves me, he gives me five more miles of speed than a stranger would get from him.

At Nottingham I added sausages from my wholesaler to the bacon which I’d bought at Lincoln: bacon so nicely sliced that each rasher meant a penny. The solid pannier-bags behind the saddle took all this and at my next stop a (farm) took also a felt-hammocked box of fifteen eggs. Home by Sleaford, our squalid, purse-proud, local village. Its butcher had six penn’orth of dripping ready for me. For months have I been making my evening round a marketing, twice a week, riding a hundred miles for the joy of it and picking up the best food cheapest, over half the country side.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Beautiful. Incredible that he had Opinions about bike handing, and also a good window into how a steep enough shitbike:horsepower gradient means you don't need corners to have fun.

That must've been a loving slow plane though.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Beautiful. Incredible that he had Opinions about bike handing, and also a good window into how a steep enough shitbike:horsepower gradient means you don't need corners to have fun.

That must've been a loving slow plane though.

It's a WWI-era biplane, top speed 123 when new but this was written ten years after the war so it was likely knackered.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

The book was written in 1929.
This guy was doing those speeds in the 1920s. Impressive.
Look at those loving brakes. They are the size of a cheap moped's.

Planes can appear very slow or even stationary, seen from the ground, if they have a high enough headwind. It's air speed that keeps them in the air. With a 30mph headwind and a permissible (and attainable) air speed of 120mph, the ground speed of the plane would have been 90mph and it would have been a close race indeed.

Also, i love the writing. Taking an autobahn trip in Germany feels very similar. The wind roar, the arm that practically gets ripped off if you dare to remove it from the handle bars, the undulations in the road...

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 09:32 on May 5, 2021

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Talking of pilots as bikers, TE Lawrence was of course both, and was doing the "racing a fighter" thing 50 years before Tom Cruise got rid of his first body Thetan:

Why did he buy sausages in Nottingham when he was just in Lincolnshire buying bacon.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Because shopping trips inexplicably take much longer on motorcycles, than they do by car.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

LimaBiker posted:

The book was written in 1929.
This guy was doing those speeds in the 1920s. Impressive.
Look at those loving brakes. They are the size of a cheap moped's.

Planes can appear very slow or even stationary, seen from the ground, if they have a high enough headwind. It's air speed that keeps them in the air. With a 30mph headwind and a permissible (and attainable) air speed of 120mph, the ground speed of the plane would have been 90mph and it would have been a close race indeed.

Aahh that makes sense, should've remembered it's the speed of the wing that counts.

The superior was a loving weapon for the time yeah, pretty much just a pizza sliced aero engine, makes a contemporary Harley look like a pygmy.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

quote:

Like arrows the tiny flies pricked my cheeks: and sometimes a heavier body, some house-fly or beetle, would crash into face or lips like a spent bullet.

This happened to me exactly once, my first year riding, and never since. (e/ I mean I was wearing a helmet obviously so not quite the same, but still)

I know it's a terrible sign for the environment but also I'm kinda glad that I don't have to pick dead bugs out of my bike/jacket/face anymore.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 11:21 on May 5, 2021

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

That essay is what every bike review tries and fails to replicate.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ought ten posted:

That essay is what every bike review tries and fails to replicate.

That's when they're not trying to be HST, a vice they share with every single "journalist" who learned to read after 1972.

Having said that the end of Hell's Angels *definitely* has a TE Lawrence vibe to it, as does Song Of The Sausage Creature:

quote:

Song of the Sausage Creature
by Hunter S. Thompson
There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous.

Everybody has fast motorcycles these days. Some people go 150 miles an hour on two-lane blacktop roads, but not often. There are too many oncoming trucks and too many radar cops and too many stupid animals in the way. You have to be a little crazy to ride these super-torque high-speed crotch rockets anywhere except a racetrack - and even there, they will scare the whimpering poo poo out of you... There is, after all, not a pig's eye worth of difference between going head-on into a Peterbilt or sideways into the bleachers. On some days you get what you want, and on others, you get what you need.

When Cycle World called me to ask if I would road-test the new Harley Road King, I got uppity and said I'd rather have a Ducati superbike. It seemed like a chic decision at the time, and my friends on the superbike circuit got very excited. "Hot drat," they said. "We will take it to the track and blow the bastards away."

"Balls," I said. "Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers."

The Cafe Racer is a different breed, and we have our own situations. Pure speed in sixth gear on a 5000-foot straightaway is one thing, but pure speed in third gear on a gravel-strewn downhill ess-turn is quite another.

But we like it. A thoroughbred Cafe Racer will ride all night through a fog storm in freeway traffic to put himself into what somebody told him was the ugliest and tightest decreasing-radius turn since Genghis Khan invented the corkscrew.

Cafe Racing is mainly a matter of taste. It is an atavistic mentality, a peculiar mix of low style, high speed, pure dumbness, and overweening commitment to the Cafe Life and all its dangerous pleasures... I am a Cafe Racer myself, on some days - and it is one of my finest addictions.

I am not without scars on my brain and my body, but I can live with them. I still feel a shudder in my spine every time I see a picture of a Vincent Black Shadow, or when I walk into a public restroom and hear crippled men whispering about the terrifying Kawasaki Triple... I have visions of compound femur-fractures and large black men in white hospital suits holding me down on a gurney while a nurse called "Bess" sews the flaps of my scalp together with a stitching drill.

Ho, ho. Thank God for these flashbacks. The brain is such a wonderful instrument (until God sinks his teeth into it). Some people hear Tiny Tim singing when they go under, and some others hear the song of the Sausage Creature.

When the Ducati turned up in my driveway, nobody knew what to do with it. I was in New York, covering a polo tournament, and people had threatened my life. My lawyer said I should give myself up and enroll in the Federal Witness Protection Program. Other people said it had something to do with the polo crowd.

The motorcycle business was the last straw. It had to be the work of my enemies, or people who wanted to hurt me. It was the vilest kind of bait, and they knew I would go for it.

Of course. You want to cripple the bastard? Send him a 130-mph cafe-racer. And include some license plates, he'll think it's a streetbike. He's queer for anything fast.

Which is true. I have been a connoisseur of fast motorcycles all my life. I bought a brand-new 650 BSA Lightning when it was billed as "the fastest motorcycle ever tested by Hot Rod magazine." I have ridden a 500-pound Vincent through traffic on the Ventura Freeway with burning oil on my legs and run the Kawa 750 Triple through Beverly Hills at night with a head full of acid... I have ridden with Sonny Barger and smoked weed in biker bars with Jack Nicholson, Grace Slick, Ron Zigler and my infamous old friend, Ken Kesey, a legendary Cafe Racer.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba....

So when I got back from New York and found a fiery red rocket-style bike in my garage, I realized I was back in the road-testing business.

The brand-new Ducati 900 Campione del Mundo Desmodue Supersport double-barreled magnum Cafe Racer filled me with feelings of lust every time I looked at it. Others felt the same way. My garage quickly became a magnet for drooling superbike groupies. They quarreled and bitched at each other about who would be the first to help me evaluate my new toy... And I did, of course, need a certain spectrum of opinions, besides my own, to properly judge this motorcycle. The Woody Creek Perverse Environmental Testing Facility is a long way from Daytona or even top-fuel challenge-sprints on the Pacific Coast Highway, where teams of big-bore Kawasakis and Yamahas are said to race head-on against each other in death-defying games of "chicken" at 100 miles an hour....

No. Not everybody who buys a high-dollar torque-brute yearns to go out in a ball of fire on a public street in L.A. Some of us are decent people who want to stay out of the emergency room, but still blast through neo-gridlock traffic in residential districts whenever we feel like it... For that we need Fine Machinery.

Which we had - no doubt about that. The Ducati people in New Jersey had opted, for some reasons of their own, to send me the 900ss-sp for testing - rather than their 916 crazy-fast, state-of-the-art superbike track-racer. It was far too fast, they said - and prohibitively expensive - to farm out for testing to a gang of half-mad Colorado cowboys who think they're world-class Cafe Racers.

The Ducati 900 is a finely engineered machine. My neighbors called it beautiful and admired its racing lines. The nasty little bugger looked like it was going 90 miles an hour when it was standing still in my garage.

Taking it on the road, though, was a genuinely terrifying experience. I had no sense of speed until I was going 90 and coming up fast on a bunch of pickup trucks going into a wet curve along the river. I went for both brakes, but only the front one worked, and I almost went end over end. I was out of control staring at the tailpipe of a U.S. Mail truck, still stabbing frantically at my rear brake pedal, which I just couldn't find... I am too tall for these new-age roadracers; they are not built for any rider taller than five-nine, and the rearset brake pedal was not where I thought it would be. Mid-size Italian pimps who like to race from one cafe to another on the boulevards of Rome in a flat-line prone position might like this, but I do not.

I was hunched over the tank like a person diving into a pool that got emptied yesterday. Whacko! Bashed on the concrete bottom, flesh ripped off, a Sausage Creature with no teeth, hosed-up for the rest of its life.

We all love Torque, and some of us have taken it straight over the high side from time to time - and there is always Pain in that... But there is also Fun, the deadly element, and Fun is what you get when you screw this monster on. BOOM! Instant take-off, no screeching or squawking around like a fool with your teeth clamping down on our tongue and your mind completely empty of everything but fear.

No. This bugger digs right in and shoots you straight down the pipe, for good or ill.

On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....

And that's when it got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

I never got to sixth gear, and I didn't get deep into fifth. This is a shameful admission for a full-bore Cafe Racer, but let me tell you something, old sport: This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat.

When aimed in the right direction at high speed, though, it has unnatural capabilities. This I unwittingly discovered as I made my approach to a sharp turn across some railroad tracks, saw that I was going way too fast and that my only chance was to veer right and screw it on totally, in a desperate attempt to leapfrog the curve by going airborne.

It was a bold and reckless move, but it was necessary. And it worked: I felt like Evel Knievel as I soared across the tracks with the rain in my eyes and my jaws clamped together in fear. I tried to spit down on the tracks as I passed them, but my mouth was too dry... I landed hard on the edge of the road and lost my grip for a moment as the Ducati began fishtailing crazily into oncoming traffic. For two or three seconds I came face to face with the Sausage Creature....

But somehow the brute straightened out. I passed a schoolbus on the right and got the bike under control long enough to gear down and pull off into an abandoned gravel driveway where I stopped and turned off the engine. My hands had seized up like claws and the rest of my body was numb. I felt nauseous and I cried for my mama, but nobody heard, then I went into a trance for 30 or 40 seconds until I was finally able to light a cigarette and calm down enough to ride home. I was too hysterical to shift gears, so I went the whole way in first at 40 miles an hour.

Whoops! What am I saying? Tall stories, ho, ho... We are motorcycle people; we walk tall and we laugh at whatever's funny. We poo poo on the chests of the Weird....

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

The emergence of the superbike has heightened this equation drastically. Motorcycle technology has made such a great leap forward. Take the Ducati. You want optimum cruising speed on this bugger? Try 90mph in fifth at 5500 rpm - and just then, you see a bull moose in the middle of the road. WHACKO. Meet the Sausage Creature.

Or maybe not: The Ducati 900 is so finely engineered and balanced and torqued that you *can* do 90 mph in fifth through a 35-mph zone and get away with it. The bike is not just fast - it is *extremely* quick and responsive, and it *will* do amazing things... It is like riding a Vincent Black Shadow, which would outrun an F-86 jet fighter on the take-off runway, but at the end, the F-86 would go airborne and the Vincent would not, and there was no point in trying to turn it. WHAMO! The Sausage Creature strikes again.

There is a fundamental difference, however, between the old Vincents and the new breed of superbikes. If you rode the Black Shadow at top speed for any length of time, you would almost certainly die. That is why there are not many life members of the Vincent Black Shadow Society. The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet in Dallas that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time.

It was impossible. But so was my terrifying sideways leap across the railroad tracks on the 900sp. The bike did it easily with the grace of a fleeing tomcat. The landing was so easy I remember thinking, goddamnit, if I had screwed it on a little more I could have gone a lot farther.

Maybe this is the new Cafe Racer macho. My bike is so much faster than yours that I dare you to ride it, you lame little turd. Do you have the balls to ride this BOTTOMLESS PIT OF TORQUE?

That is the attitude of the new-age superbike freak, and I am one of them. On some days they are about the most fun you can have with your clothes on. The Vincent just killed you a lot faster than a superbike will. A fool couldn't ride the Vincent Black Shadow more than once, but a fool can ride a Ducati 900 many times, and it will always be a bloodcurdling kind of fun. That is the Curse of Speed which has plagued me all my life. I am a slave to it. On my tombstone they will carve, "IT NEVER GOT FAST ENOUGH FOR ME."

It's worth noting the 900SS has about the same power as a mid-range commuter bike nowadays, albeit with considerably ruder road manners.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

HST posted:

Do you have the balls to ride this BOTTOMLESS PIT OF TORQUE?

Should be the tell me what to buy thread title.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's also of all the "Yeah you're loving dead" failures afflicting components planes don't even have, like tail rotors and their driveshafts, swash plates or whatever other linkages they have to the rotors, and of course individual choppers have their own extremely fun things, from the early one I can't remember the name of where fatigue failures could rip the entire engine, rotors still attached, out of the frame, to the Chinook, the only aircraft that can have a mid-air collision with itself (certain maneuvers can flex the rotors sufficiently that they touch, with fun consequences).
Helicopter (n.): Four thousand parts rotating rapidly around an oil leak waiting for metal fatigue to set in.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Having said that the end of Hell's Angels *definitely* has a TE Lawrence vibe to it, as does Song Of The Sausage Creature:

Some very strong opinions here. Was HST the original Slavvposter(tm)?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ought ten posted:

Some very strong opinions here. Was HST the original Slavvposter(tm)?

Maybe in length of posts

:boom:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Eyyy don't compare me to a coked up cosplayer who could barely cope with a warmed over desmodue, at least my posts help people sometimes.

Also the idea that the rear brake does anything on those bikes.

Also the idea of anyone in as late a time as the 80's/90's still thinking a black shadow is fast.

Also the simultaneous 'this bike is way too fast aaa' and 'it's never fast enough for me raar' is like every goddamn punishing wounder uncle with a falcodore telling me how he'd totally get a bike but he'd DIE cause he likes SPEED too much and it just makes me cringe. Have some fucken humility.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Don't forget helicopters have a lot more (irrevocably fatal) failure modes than fixed-wing aircraft. A gearbox failure in your Cessna basically leaves you in the same position as an engine failure, but in a helicopter it puts you in the same position as a brick 4,000 feet up, only with slightly more awareness of what's going to happen to you. Ditto blade failures - as long as it doesn't come through the cockpit when it goes you can glide safely, but autorotation isn't going to work.

Yeah, there’s no denying there are a lot of links in the chain, but those sorts of catastrophic failure modes are very rare. The most recent thing along those lines I can think of is the Super Puma main gearbox issue which resulted in the instant destruction of the MGB and loss of the main rotor a few years ago. It wasn’t that long ago that a PA-28 (I think?) just lost a wing with a student pilot and an examiner on board, IIRC - so it’s not unheard of in fixed wing land. The only other spontaneous failure of a heli specific component that I recall in the last 5-7 years (not that I have an encyclopaedic knowledge of such things) is a scissors failure on a heli being designed in NZ, which resulted in what I’m sure was a harrowing journey into a bay with no reliable cyclic control, but nobody died AFAIK.

I believe the Mi-24 Hind was able to sever its own tail boom if enough aft cyclic was applied, as discovered by an East German crew engaging in some cross-border showboating with an American crew in a Cobra or similar. I guess there is mast bumping to contend with on teetering rotor head aircraft like Robinsons and many Bells which can result in the rotor departing the aircraft, but this doesn’t happen if you avoid negative G conditions.

Anyway, like I said there’s certainly plenty going on and plenty of parts which could fail. But I would think engine failure is by far the most common failure mode on both fixed and rotary wing aircraft, and fir the aforementioned reasons I’d take rotary over fixed in that scenario any day, assuming a competent pilot of course!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

telling me how he'd totally get a bike but he'd DIE cause he likes SPEED too much

this is a type of person i didn't know existed until i got a motorcycle. there are way more of them than i would have expected.

i assume they're actually just too scared to ride a bike at all, so they have to get all blustery and talk bullshit to hide it.

actually i remember someone doing the same thing to me about planes, except it was "i'm pretty sure i'd get bored cause i need a challenge, and the only hard part is landing it"

Here4DaGangBang posted:

It wasn’t that long ago that a PA-28 (I think?) just lost a wing with a student pilot and an examiner on board, IIRC - so it’s not unheard of in fixed wing land.

That was due to main spar corrosion that should have been detected at the annual inspections, iirc. Specifically checking the spars for corrosion was not a required item, though a thorough mechanic would have; last I heard the FAA was in the process of making it a requirement for PA-28s and similar models.

e: no, never mind, I found the report and they say that the cracks were based on fatigue, not corrosion, and they would have been undetectable to the maintainers without fancy electromagnetic testing equipment. It was a flight training aircraft that had a relatively hard life and the dice just came up. Welp.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 5, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Eyyy don't compare me to a coked up cosplayer who could barely cope with a warmed over desmodue, at least my posts help people sometimes.

Also the idea that the rear brake does anything on those bikes.

Also the idea of anyone in as late a time as the 80's/90's still thinking a black shadow is fast.

Also the simultaneous 'this bike is way too fast aaa' and 'it's never fast enough for me raar' is like every goddamn punishing wounder uncle with a falcodore telling me how he'd totally get a bike but he'd DIE cause he likes SPEED too much and it just makes me cringe. Have some fucken humility.

Song of the sausage creature is in fact not good. I’ve been saying this for years.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I mean, he mentions the 916 which means it's at least 87, at which point the 900ss was already quite slow by the standards of the time. The gsxr750 and 1100, gpz900r, fzr750 and 1000, Vfr750 and vf1000 were all popular, available bikes at the time and all of them would absolutely stomp an SS.

Literally just a neophyte nearly crashing a middleweight twin then bragging about how fast and heroic he is.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

I mean, he mentions the 916 which means it's at least 87, at which point the 900ss was already quite slow by the standards of the time. The gsxr750 and 1100, gpz900r, fzr750 and 1000, Vfr750 and vf1000 were all popular, available bikes at the time and all of them would absolutely stomp an SS.

Literally just a neophyte nearly crashing a middleweight twin then bragging about how fast and heroic he is.

I think it was '95.

Comparatively, my Scrambler:

I never knew it was such a BOTTOMLESS PIT OF TORQUE

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

916 came out much later than that (first homologation specials came out in 93, it first raced in the 94 season). The particular model he tested (the 900SS/SP) only came out in 95, and although it was quite a bit hotter than the base 900SS, it was still pretty tame for the time and like I say roughly the same power and weight as a modern mid-range commuter.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I don't know poo poo about the bike he's talking about but he sounds like a pretentious bellend anyway from the way he keeps calling himself a café racer, like that's a thing for a person to be, and be proud of

Do modern street rossi motovloggers talk like this too?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
the only moto vlogger I got subscribed on youtube is that hank hill sounding guy that farts around on cfr250s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zmiCxhguJI

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Renaissance Robot posted:

I don't know poo poo about the bike he's talking about but he sounds like a pretentious bellend anyway from the way he keeps calling himself a café racer, like that's a thing for a person to be, and be proud of

No. They are more boring and even more useless than HST for all his hyperbole.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

Bear in mind the damage hipsters have done to the term "cafe racer". To an American of his vintage it still had an aura of danger - the cafe racer scene, while never as big as it was in the UK, was an important part of the US bike culture right up until the early 70s.

It's the kind of distinction that falls extremely flat to modern ears, but the original MCs were formed around (legal and illegal) racing teams set up by returning US servicemen who weren't ready to settle down and feed the baby boom just yet (Hells Angels itself is a name that came from the USAAF, itself taken from a name WWI pilots gave themselves). Drag racers took off all the components that didn't make the bike faster in a straight line, kicked out the forks and stretched the bars to get the CoG as low as possible, and invented the chopper. Road racers upgraded their suspension, put on clipons and rearsets for better clearance and aerodynamics, and stretched the tanks, and invented the cafe racer. It's probably not a coincidence that HST put so much emphasis into this given his experience with the chopper-riding Hell's Angels.

(You're still free to hate it of course, but it's important to know why you hate things)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Why don't modern bikes with fuel injection like apply the break light when engine braking? Seems trivial to implement. In gear, clutch engaged, throttle below a threshold, light up the brake light.

There are after market kits that do that via accelerometers but it feels like it should be standard.