Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Also, while its a ways in the future, ask the thread if there is anything you should check out before going after the final boss.

It is time, I think. The Lordvessel has been satiated, and the door at Firelink Altar is open. Is there anything I should check out before I walk through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Take a real good look around Darkroot Basin. And then after that, you'll know when, there'll be something to find back in the first few rooms of Duke's Archives.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I'm just going to say the spoiler because it's absolute horseshit design that almost no one solves on their own since it involves multiple completely loving random triggers to make things spawn that didn't spawn previously. After the Hydra dies and the Hydra area is reloaded, in the back corner of the area where the Hydra was, there's a golem. Kill the golem. Talk to the woman (if she's not there or near where the Hydra was then save/quit to spawn her), then go to Seath's fortress and kill the golem in the entrance. It will drop her amulet, which you can then return to her in the area where the golem originally was to create a portal to the DLC.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

it’s fun because I’ve put 320 hours into DkS1 and I couldn’t tell you how to access the DLC without looking it up. :v:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

K8.0 posted:

I'm just going to say the spoiler because it's absolute horseshit design that almost no one solves on their own since it involves multiple completely loving random triggers to make things spawn that didn't spawn previously. After the Hydra dies and the Hydra area is reloaded, in the back corner of the area where the Hydra was, there's a golem. Kill the golem. Talk to the woman (if she's not there or near where the Hydra was then save/quit to spawn her), then go to Seath's fortress and kill the golem in the entrance. It will drop her amulet, which you can then return to her in the area where the golem originally was to create a portal to the DLC.
I don't think it was ever really intended to be solved on your own. The release notes for the DLC explained exactly how to do it.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Thanks, I made it. I think I'll pick it up tomorrow, but I took a quick peek beyond the sanctuary and it looks like a nice area. Like a sunny version of Darkroot Garden, I guess.

edit: In thinking of things I should check out before I roll credits (or try to roll credits), is that giant painting in Anor Londo anything at all? I recall seeing a message about a contraption behind it that wasn't working. I guess I can pop back there real quick since I think the bonfire can be warped to.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 5, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011

Glare Seethe posted:

Thanks, I made it. I think I'll pick it up tomorrow, but I took a quick peek beyond the sanctuary and it looks like a nice area. Like a sunny version of Darkroot Garden, I guess.

edit: In thinking of things I should check out before I roll credits (or try to roll credits), is that giant painting in Anor Londo anything at all? I recall seeing a message about a contraption behind it that wasn't working. I guess I can pop back there real quick since I think the bonfire can be warped to.

You need to revisit the Asylum. You do that by jumping from the elevator from Firelink to the Parish, making a jump that I somehow always gently caress up over to the ruined building Frampt is in and heading up and interacting with the giant bird nest.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Looks like there’s a new beta up for the next Tom Francis game through Steam’s new playtesting feature.

https://twitter.com/BreachWizards/status/1389980441747197955

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Orv posted:

You need to revisit the Asylum. You do that by jumping from the elevator from Firelink to the Parish, making a jump that I somehow always gently caress up over to the ruined building Frampt is in and heading up and interacting with the giant bird nest.

Ah, I wondered what that area was the elevator kept passing by on the way down but didn't think of jumping off. I'll do this after the DLC, thanks.

edit: vv I wish I hadn't seen that!

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 5, 2021

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
It’s funny to me that you can jump into a painting world Mario 64 style in Dark Souls.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Glare Seethe posted:

Ah, I wondered what that area was the elevator kept passing by on the way down but didn't think of jumping off. I'll do this after the DLC, thanks.

edit: vv I wish I hadn't seen that!

Doing the very obviously sign posted final sequence will start NG+ so make sure you do that and anything else first.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/humble/status/1389992055468855296

quote:

We’ve heard everyone loud and clear and apologize for the way these changes were rolled out. We are now taking a moment to pause, collect constructive feedback and be more transparent about the path forward.

Today, we’ll be turning sliders back on for all customers on our bundle pages while we take more time to review feedback and consider sliders and the importance of customization for purchases on bundle pages in the long term.

In the coming weeks, we’ll roll out the updated design which will include sliders that work exactly as they did previously. Once the new design is live, we will continue to iterate on it, incorporating feedback from the community into its ongoing evolution.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Now if only they could put bundles on their bundle store.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Anonymous Robot posted:

It’s funny to me that you can jump into a painting world Mario 64 style in Dark Souls.

I really want to see what Glare Seethe has to say about that area, it's probably my absolute favorite in the first game, if nothing else for its intriguing final encounter.

Oooooh plus the (area + enemy spoilers: wicked homage to phalanx in the courtyard is one of my favorite Demon's Souls callbacks in any of the games.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 5, 2021

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Anno posted:

Looks like there’s a new beta up for the next Tom Francis game through Steam’s new playtesting feature.

Heck yeah! I'm not gonna participate in the playtest, but I'm very excited for the final release!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

- The save file progression across games: Mass Effect made this famous as the idea of taking a single character across an entire trilogy of story and content

This isn't something that unusual. Baldur's Gate did it around the same time as Shenmue.
Epic published a dungeon crawler RPG series called Ancients in the early 90s which allowed you to import your party from 1 to 2.
The Might and Magic series also allowed this in the late 80s.
As I recall Sierra's Quest for Glory series went even further and allowed the character to be brought over all the way from the first game in 1989 through 2-4 and finally into QFG5 in 1998, including allowing you to bring over skills/classes from the older games that you could otherwise not get access to in some of the later games.

There were probably others I haven't tried. It's still a neat feature, though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So, sorry, quick question.

Recent posts have sparked my interest in Disco Elysium. Luckily, there is also a new version of the game that just came out apparently.

Will it be on the Steam Summer Sale next month or should I just buy it now?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it was on sale all last week. i imagine it will be on sale again during the summer sale

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Awesome! posted:

it was on sale all last week. i imagine it will be on sale again during the summer sale

Figures I'd get the itch to buy it right after the sale ends. Oh well , what's one month.

Thanks.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Recent posts have sparked my interest in Disco Elysium. Luckily, there is also a new version of the game that just came out apparently.

Wow what a moralist attitude.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Bofast posted:

Bard's Tale series, Wizardry series, a few of the Goldbox SSI D&D games, etc...

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Is there a way to circumvent Steam's insanely useless "What's New" algorithm that seems to pick patches to tell you about at completely random and just, loving, have it give me all the deets about the games I want. I don't care that I haven't had the game installed in 5 years maybe I want to because there is a new cool patch, geniuses

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Glare Seethe posted:

It is time, I think. The Lordvessel has been satiated, and the door at Firelink Altar is open. Is there anything I should check out before I walk through?

Looks like most of the stuff has been mentioned:

-Painting
-Incredibly circuitous way to access the dlc
-Possibly even more unlikely way to return to the asylum (be patient)

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned: Anor Londo, gigantic lady. Everybody in the game is a hollowed undead or becoming one. Except for her. Bit odd, isn’t it?

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Anno posted:

Hell yeah, been waiting on this one.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

:toot:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Joe Man posted:

Bard's Tale series, Wizardry series, a few of the Goldbox SSI D&D games, etc...

Yeah I forget if it was BT or Wiz but by the third game they really expected you to have a kitted out party from the previous games.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I don't know if this has been posted before or not but holy crap, I want this.

Last Man Sitting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCRa01pJiq4

https://store.steampowered.com/app/774291/Last_Man_Sitting/

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
That sure is some trailer music.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Tonfa posted:

Is there a way to circumvent Steam's insanely useless "What's New" algorithm that seems to pick patches to tell you about at completely random and just, loving, have it give me all the deets about the games I want. I don't care that I haven't had the game installed in 5 years maybe I want to because there is a new cool patch, geniuses

That's probably not going to happen even if you keep telling the algorithm you want more of a certain game and less of others. But a closer thing to what you want is found under Store > News, it allows for way more customization.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

NikkolasKing posted:

ELCTROCHEMISTRY: Why wait? you want it NOW. Think of the sweet sweet endorphins release while playing it. Do you really want to wait for a month? What are you thinking, blue-balling yourself? How about that: buy it now, play it now, and buy it AGAIN in a month. By the way, that whisky bottle isn't quite empty, is it?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Resident Evil 8 demo on Steam is cool, it feels like RE7 but bigger and more gorgeous and set in Castlevania. It's well optimized and looks great even when you lower the settings. I forgot how well Capcom does the mix of a walking sim and FPS, I can't wait for the full release.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Fruits of the sea posted:

Looks like most of the stuff has been mentioned:

-Painting
-Incredibly circuitous way to access the dlc
-Possibly even more unlikely way to return to the asylum (be patient)

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned: Anor Londo, gigantic lady. Everybody in the game is a hollowed undead or becoming one. Except for her. Bit odd, isn’t it?

Thanks, then I've got my to-do list. Unfortunately it looks like I have to take an enforced break because this morning my building was damaged from the adjacent building's demolition work and they want the tenants to evacuate for like two weeks while the repairs are happening. So I'll be stuck in a hotel for two weeks. I don't normally wish I had a laptop but drat I wish I had a laptop.

oh well

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ionlands/status/1389969664323821576

Cloudpunk expansion releases on May 25th. The developers have vastly improved the base game since release, so I am really looking forward to this.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Bofast posted:

This isn't something that unusual. Baldur's Gate did it around the same time as Shenmue.
Epic published a dungeon crawler RPG series called Ancients in the early 90s which allowed you to import your party from 1 to 2.
The Might and Magic series also allowed this in the late 80s.
As I recall Sierra's Quest for Glory series went even further and allowed the character to be brought over all the way from the first game in 1989 through 2-4 and finally into QFG5 in 1998, including allowing you to bring over skills/classes from the older games that you could otherwise not get access to in some of the later games.

What games did it recently? I can't think of any.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I can't believe I'm both cautiously optimistic on both Biomutant and Necromunda: Hired Gun after the last two gameplay trailers dropped. Both are really looking great with a off beat and weird AA type of game that we don't see that often.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

BexGu posted:

I can't believe I'm both cautiously optimistic on both Biomutant and Necromunda: Hired Gun after the last two gameplay trailers dropped. Both are really looking great with a off beat and weird AA type of game that we don't see that often.

I hadn't heard of Biomutant before yesterday but I gotta say I love the description of this game.

quote:

BIOMUTANT is an open-world, post-apocalyptic Kung-fu fable RPG, with a unique martial arts styled combat system allowing you to mix melee, shooting, and mutant ability action
:stare:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

BIOMUTANT is: FPS; hobby-grade coop campaign; genre-blended, multi-mode competitive e-sports; meta-growth, choice + epic Biomutant Heroes!

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

explosivo posted:

I hadn't heard of Biomutant before yesterday but I gotta say I love the description of this game.

Same, hadn't heard of it until that gameplay/character creation videos a few days ago and it looks kinda fun? We'll see if I'm willing to pay AAA price for it end of the month though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

BIOMUTANT is: FPS; hobby-grade coop campaign; genre-blended, multi-mode competitive e-sports; meta-growth, choice + epic Biomutant Heroes!

No matter how much Biomutant's reach almost certainly exceeds its grasp nobody deserves that comparison. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Looks like Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition just dropped on Steam. If you happen to have an RT capable card, this might be worth installing to check it out.

It’s available to all Exodus owners, and installs as a separate game (it has a separate entry in the library); it also has its own set of achievements.