Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Decided to pull the loom completely off and reinspect the wiring and found this:

I live in an apartment with no underground parking with outlets or anything so I actually just went to a gas station and kinda hid around the corner to solder replacement wires.

Thankfully nobody making minimum wage gives a poo poo enough to come harass me about using their outlet to solder something and it worked fine. I have since replaced the original sensor and if the code doesn't come back in a week or so I'm going to return the delphi replacement.

Hopefully this saga is over.

This is what fixed the MAF issue on my 2007 GTI permanently. I was kicking myself for not peeling back the split loom further sooner.
Oh well at least I have a couple of extra MAF sensors laying around incase something else ever happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm selling my 2011 audi a4 avant premium with only 54k miles to carvana

blue book 9600, vw dealer offered 8200 (lol), carvana is offering 11300

it's just too much car for me as I rarely drive, expensive gas, expensive insurance, and if something goes wrong expensive to repair

I'm going to be leasing a Jetta S or SE. Even though I don't drive much I feel like an extra $47/month for the SE is probably worth it just for having heated seats in the winter (it gets extremely cold in the winter where I live).

If VW still made wagons I'd do that instead, but apparently they do not. The only wagons in the US that aren't luxury brands now are Subarus afaik

edit: the monthly lease prices they are offering are 270 for the S, and 317 for the SE, is that pretty good? I've been going back in forth between a few dealerships to see the lowest price I can get.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 5, 2021

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

There's the Audi A4 and A6 Allroad, the RS6, the Volvo V60 and V90, the Mercedes E450 All Terrain and the E63S AMG and the Subaru Outback which is basically the same size as a crossover.

It sucks because if you go back even three years there were twice as many options - things are getting really thin on the ground out here.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I was shocked at how loving expensive volvos are as I didn't normally think of it as a luxury brand

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
that seems like an unsound financial decision

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

actionjackson posted:

I was shocked at how loving expensive volvos are as I didn't normally think of it as a luxury brand

They moved up-market in the last 5-10 years I think

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

that seems like an unsound financial decision

what is?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

actionjackson posted:

Wait until you need to fix them! :cheers:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

rope kid posted:

Wait until you need to fix them! :cheers:

has that always been an issue with volvo wagons?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pretty sure older turbo volvos didn't even use an intercooler. Maybe that was more common though amongst other brands I dunno but that seems insane to me.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

VelociBacon posted:

Pretty sure older turbo volvos didn't even use an intercooler. Maybe that was more common though amongst other brands I dunno but that seems insane to me.

How old are we talking? My dad owned a 1990 740 with a turbo and an intercooler. It even had INTERCOOLER lettering on the badge under 740 TURBO so you knew your station wagon was boxy and FAST I guess.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Modern Volvo and 80s/90s Volvo have effectively nothing in common except the brand name. Ford let them wither and die in the late 90s/00s, and now under Geely they are a whole new company on new platforms with new drivetrains. They look amazing but have disastrous reliability.

The XC60 T8 Recharge is possibly the most complicated car for sale. It is a turbocharged, supercharged, plug-in hybrid. What could go wrong?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

maybe this is normal with leasing, but they have a jetta SE with no extra features beyond what is standard, and then one with a few extras like the cold weather package. But the total extra you pay over 36 months (about 1100) is more than the difference in the two MSRPs (about 600).

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

actionjackson posted:

But the total extra you pay over 36 months (about 1100) is more than the difference in the two MSRPs (about 600).

That seems like an odd / arbitrary metric that doesn't take into account residual value and/or buyout.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yeah I suppose you are right

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

flightless greeb posted:

They moved up-market in the last 5-10 years I think

Even the old 240's from the 80's were sold as luxury vehicles. (E: actually I think the term used at the time was “semi-luxury”, or something to that effect).

And the turbos had intercoolers from at least the 1984 240 Turbo.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 6, 2021

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

actionjackson posted:

has that always been an issue with volvo wagons?
IDK, but my brother in law was a Volvo mechanic for years and passed on a late 2000s wagon to my dad, who shouldn't have accepted it. The parts and labor seemed yikes-y to me, a person who owns a 17 year-old VW, a 36 year-old VW, and a 54 year-old Fiat.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

actionjackson posted:

I'm selling my 2011 audi a4 avant premium with only 54k miles to carvana

blue book 9600, vw dealer offered 8200 (lol), carvana is offering 11300

it's just too much car for me as I rarely drive, expensive gas, expensive insurance, and if something goes wrong expensive to repair

I'm going to be leasing a Jetta S or SE. Even though I don't drive much I feel like an extra $47/month for the SE is probably worth it just for having heated seats in the winter (it gets extremely cold in the winter where I live).

If VW still made wagons I'd do that instead, but apparently they do not. The only wagons in the US that aren't luxury brands now are Subarus afaik

edit: the monthly lease prices they are offering are 270 for the S, and 317 for the SE, is that pretty good? I've been going back in forth between a few dealerships to see the lowest price I can get.

Subaru doesn't sell any wagons in the USA either, anymore. :(

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

MrLogan posted:

Subaru doesn't sell any wagons in the USA either, anymore. :(

yeah I guess the outback etc. are a bit too tall in the back to be considered wagons

my favorite ever wagon is probably what I believe to be the first audi wagon, the 1995 rs2 avant

movax
Aug 30, 2008

The RS 6 Avant is the wagon I lust after... sometimes I'll go and configure one on the website and stare at it longingly, wishing I had made different career choices.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

selling a car that you presumably own free and clear to sign up for a lease payment on a mediocre car because you are driving less

i don't understand how any of this makes a lick of sense

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

selling a car that you presumably own free and clear to sign up for a lease payment on a mediocre car because you are driving less

i don't understand how any of this makes a lick of sense

I used to walk to work, so I never drove that much (I still need a vehicle for errands, and transporting my dog), but it's mainly because

a) if I was ever going to sell it, now would be the best time
b) if I hold onto it, I run the risk of having major, expensive repair issues in the future (I know that with my particular model, serious engine issues, as well as those related to excess oil consumption are common, and my vehicle is no longer under warranty)
c) there are certain safety features not on my current vehicle that I think are absolutely worth having (backup camera, blind spot monitoring)
d) a sizable cash infusion would be preferable now given what I think is still a lot of economic uncertainty

Also I liked driving it, and it has good reviews from car and driver so that's plenty for me

If this was a brand where I wasn't concerned about long-term reliability I wouldn't bother.

edit: I just checked car complaints, and it says the worst model year was 2011, and the most complaints was for an A4. hey that's what I have!

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Audi/A4/

quote:

we rate the 2011 model year as worse because of other possible factors such as higher repair cost or more problems at lower mileage.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 6, 2021

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

movax posted:

The RS 6 Avant is the wagon I lust after... sometimes I'll go and configure one on the website and stare at it longingly, wishing I had made different career choices.

just waiting for that Omaze contest to come through and deliver my RS6 wagon so I can live in it

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

actionjackson posted:

I used to walk to work, so I never drove that much, but it's mainly because

a) if I was ever going to sell it, now would be the best time
b) if I hold onto it, I run the risk of having major, expensive repair issues in the future (I know that with my particular model, serious engine issues are common)
c) there are certain safety features not on my current vehicle that I think are absolutely worth having (backup camera, blind spot monitoring)
d) a sizable cash infusion would be preferable now given what I think is still a lot of economic uncertainty

Also it's not a mediocre car imo, it's more than enough for my needs and has been well received by car and driver, which is the source I usually use for ratings.

fundamentally this is your decision but i don't understand how you are arriving at the answer you are arriving at.
I agree with point A in that it's doubtful that you're going to ever get more money for your car.
I agree with point B in that yes, with any 9 year old car there is potentially the chance of catastrophic failure and it's an Audi so you can somewhere between double and quintuple that chance.
I agree with point D in that ehh sure there is some economic uncertainty.

However, I don't see how the answer to this is to sign up to pay a stream of payments over three years (assuming zero down on the leases...) that's precisely equal to you would receive for the A4. At the end of those three years, you won't have a car. In light of your expectations in D this seems especially counterintuitive to me.

What's the downpayment and mileage allowance on those leases?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I understand what you are saying - thanks for the explanation.

There is no down payment. I got them to extend the sign and drive thing from last month. No first month payment, all maintenance paid for, etc. Minimum mileage allowance of 7500 (I won't get close to that). So tax/title/license which I had them roll into the total monthly payment.

So yes I'm paying about the exact same over 35 months that I'm getting for my current car. However, I completely bypass the risk of major vehicle issues that could cost thousands of dollars to repair. I don't really want to be in that situation of course, because in addition to the loss of money spent on repairs, the valuation of the car will certainly go down as well. So now I've had to spend more money, and presumably will be able to get less for it if I want to sell in the future. Or I can't sell it and it becomes a money pit.

I did also read this, which gave some math on the whole thing. I'm pretty sure I have minimum "drive-off" since there's no down payment and no first month payment.

https://www.reddit.com/r/askcarsales/wiki/buy_vs_lease

quote:

Here is an easy rule of thumb: for every $10K of MSRP you should not pay more than $150 a month with $0 down and minimal drive-off, or you can simply multiply the MSRP by 0.015.Let’s take two cars as an example: Jetta has MSRP of $20,344, and it will lease for $265 a month with minimum drive-off.

So doing the math on the Jetta SE in question, it's MSRP is 24,575 (dealer price is 22,825). Even using the dealer price, 1.5% of that is 342, so I'm below that number.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

OP wants new car, go for it imo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

smooth jazz posted:

OP wants new car, go for it imo

sure, it just smacks of shopping on payment and weird post-facto justifications which are inevitably bad ideas

i guess i'm also kind of in disbelief at the idea that someone wants to buy the current Jetta

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

sure, it just smacks of shopping on payment and weird post-facto justifications which are inevitably bad ideas

i guess i'm also kind of in disbelief at the idea that someone wants to buy the current Jetta

You know I thought a lot more about it, and decided to not do this for now. Part of it was also that vroom offered me 12.5k (who knows if they'd actually give me that much, some of those car questions are definitely subjective), but I think you made some good points also. It's a huge financial decision and my reasoning is somewhat unsound. I will keep my current vehicle for now.

Would you guys recommend trying to get some kind of third party warranty for my vehicle or not?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 6, 2021

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

actionjackson posted:

You know I thought a lot more about it, and decided to not do this for now. Part of it was also that vroom offered me 12.5k (who knows if they'd actually give me that much, some of those car questions are definitely subjective), but I think you made some good points also. It's a huge financial decision and my reasoning is somewhat unsound. I will keep my current vehicle for now and hope it doesn't explode.

Your car currently has low miles for it's age and you barely drive your car so the chances that you will need a major repair are lower. Any actuarial rates for repairs you are looking at are for cars with an average of 2 to 3 times as many miles on them.

Just keep up with the maintenance.

If you spend less than the value of the car in repairs over the next three years (likely) you have come out ahead.

If you just *want* a new car though. Well, who are we to say no.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yes, get the one that Ice-T endorses. It’s the bestest.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

You seem really scared about a warranty and future problems for a car you rarely drive. Most cars do not spontaneously combust when sitting.

Most 3rd party warranties are bad.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yeah, you guys are 100% right. I think part of it is I have anxiety issues, and part of it is stuff like this

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Audi/A4/2011/engine/excessive_oil_usage.shtml

I see that and I say "oh I'm only 10k miles below 64k! and average cost $6000!!!"

and part of it is definitely my father, he's leased at least eight different Audis, and he currently has a VW Arteon (prior to that he had a Golf R), so he puts a lot of excess pressure on me to get something new when I don't need it. He's definitely part of the reason I have this vehicle! But he admittedly has a spending problem wrt cars

I'm sure he could give me a list of all the Audis he had, but in the late 90s he had a red A4, a red-orange A4 (I think 3.2T?), a blue S4 avant, etc.

he even did this Audi winter driving course in Austria in the 90s, where you get to drive ones that have chains on the tires and go up into the mountains.

Anyway is there anything you would suggest I be on the look out for? Like early warning signs that a serious issue will occur? Right now I just go to my local mechanic who is literally right across the street once a year and he does an oil change and checks over everything.

thanks

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ok first of all sites like that are not rigorous at all. Even if you take them at face value, there were five major repairs of 35,000 A4s sold in the US that year. That is a 0.00014% incident rate. everyone who posts on there is dumb as poo poo, which you can tell because of statements like "I bought an Audi for the reliability"

make sure that your mechanic is using the factory specified oil rather than some random juice, it's probably slightly more expensive but worth it for your peace of mind. look at the maintenance schedule and make sure you area having the scheduled maintenance done on time. if your local guy isn't a specifically Euro car guy you might want to shop around for someone who is.

my recommendation would be to take say, half the $300 per month you were planning on spending on a car payment and start saving it. you can use that money to pay for a repair that is required or eventually to help you purchase a new car.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

ok first of all sites like that are not rigorous at all. Even if you take them at face value, there were five major repairs of 35,000 A4s sold in the US that year. That is a 0.00014% incident rate. everyone who posts on there is dumb as poo poo, which you can tell because of statements like "I bought an Audi for the reliability"

make sure that your mechanic is using the factory specified oil rather than some random juice, it's probably slightly more expensive but worth it for your peace of mind. look at the maintenance schedule and make sure you area having the scheduled maintenance done on time. if your local guy isn't a specifically Euro car guy you might want to shop around for someone who is.

my recommendation would be to take say, half the $300 per month you were planning on spending on a car payment and start saving it. you can use that money to pay for a repair that is required or eventually to help you purchase a new car.

The mechanics just work on everything, and they've been around forever. Always have given me amazing service and great prices. I'm definitely not going back to the dealer because gently caress that, but I found this place who I will contact

https://germanautoworks.com/

I did look up the maintenance schedule, though a lot of that I had done already because I drove so little. For example I definitely had the 55k miles service done a few years ago.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

statements like "I bought an Audi for the reliability"

:stare:

I know where you're coming from, OP. My parents always had new cars, and ran from Rabbits and Chevettes in the '70s / early '80s through Mercedes and BMW in the '00s. Dad never went 2 years without a new car.

I took that mindset with me, and I ran with it for over 20 years. Until I got smart enough to realize what "depreciating asset" meant. Now? My newest car is my wife's 2015 Acura RDX with under 40k miles on it. My dailies are a 2005 Escalade that I bought in '15 and a 2008 Passat 3.6 with 89k miles that I got for $1200 because the previous owner was dumb and let the sunroof drains plug until the interior flooded.

My case may be the extreme the other way, but recognizing that there is not much time between a "new" car and a "new" car being used can really change your mindset.

Actually, I'm sick of cars as they are. I want a balls-fast electric that can drive itself. Current cars all look like poo poo to me. :(

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

actionjackson posted:

The mechanics just work on everything, and they've been around forever. Always have given me amazing service and great prices. I'm definitely not going back to the dealer because gently caress that, but I found this place who I will contact

https://germanautoworks.com/

I did look up the maintenance schedule, though a lot of that I had done already because I drove so little. For example I definitely had the 55k miles service done a few years ago.

you are probably in good shape, then. You can also check the Audi forums to see what people do as preventative maintenance.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

meatpimp posted:

Dad never went 2 years without a new car.

This is funny to me. My grandpa was two years new car guy, my dad is a four years new car guy, and I'm roughly a six years new car guy. I presume my children will be eight years new car guys assuming that cars still exist.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you are probably in good shape, then. You can also check the Audi forums to see what people do as preventative maintenance.

I did make an appointment with the german auto works place to just do a basic inspection, I'm going to get the service records from my dealership. I had Audi Care Plus (I think that's the name) with the vehicle, and I believe they did 35/45/55/65 or something similar before it ran out, then I stopped using the dealer.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

My goal is to be an eight year car guy. Hi Dad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This is funny to me. My grandpa was two years new car guy, my dad is a four years new car guy, and I'm roughly a six years new car guy. I presume my children will be eight years new car guys assuming that cars still exist.

My dad buys a new vehicle every 3-4 years but I think this behavior is mostly due to the fact that boomers close to retirement/semi-retired can easily afford it and people my age (mid 30s) can't. It's the same people who put themselves through university without debt by mowing lawns, it's a thing that is generation-exclusive imo.