Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

CommieGIR posted:

Thanks, Oil Industry who financially backed a bunch of eco-groups to protest and oppose nuclear power.

stackofflapjacks posted:

Do you have any sources for the second part of your post? I have a couple of environmental activist friends who are vehemently anti-nuclear and I would love to share that with them

In 1970, Robert O Anderson, founder of Atlantic Richfield, gave 200k to help fund the fledgling Friends of the Earth, an environmental group that is known for its early and consistent opposition to nuclear power. (They also oppose Keystone XL and oil subsidies, among other things)

His philanthropy was pretty broad and included other, broader environmental projects like the Aspen Institute, the John Muir Society and the International Institute for Environment and Development.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

stackofflapjacks posted:

Do you have any sources for the second part of your post? I have a couple of environmental activist friends who are vehemently anti-nuclear and I would love to share that with them

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kensil...sh=7fe356cd7453

Its also worth noting that, especially in Germany's case, there's a lot of clear cut corruption where Russian Natural Gas interests helped push anti-nuclear and accelerated Germany shuttering their nuclear plants.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54462311

Greenpeace, who fudged a lot of the Chernobyl death numbers and cancer numbers, actually sells natural gas in Germany, their "goal" is to use green gas but in reality they are reselling 98% Fossil fuel gas.

Let's be honest: the Oil and Gas industry directly benefits from anti-nuclear stuff, so its not suprising they may be encouraging it.

Stravag posted:

So j&j shot conclusion- 16 hours of the worst cold/flu symptoms ive ever had, feeling better than before i got the shot now though. And the injection spot is still a little sore but no biggie. I fully support swat doctors with caduceuses on their backs sweep and clearing antivax hotspots with injection dart guns.

Edit: i was also 100% fine with the idea before we had a pandemic so v0v

I just got my J&J, so excited!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Germany shuttering the entire nuclear industry as a knee-jerk to Fukushima was possibly as stupid as Brexit.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Well known tectonic hotspot germany

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Well known teutonic hotspot germany

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

Well known as understood as things are germany.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Germany shuttering the entire nuclear industry as a knee-jerk to Fukushima was possibly as stupid as Brexit.
It wasn't just stupidity. Russia bankrolled a massive influence campaign and subverted major political figures to push that shutdown through in order to make Germany ever more reliant on Russian natural gas. AFAIK there's been no impactful accounting or even introspection about that?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cugel the Clever posted:

It wasn't just stupidity. Russia bankrolled a massive influence campaign and subverted major political figures to push that shutdown through in order to make Germany ever more reliant on Russian natural gas. AFAIK there's been no impactful accounting or even introspection about that?

Basically, and their renewables program is basically stalled, they've admitted they are going to miss their emissions goals, meanwhile France next door is sitting pretty. At this point, Germany is also probably going to miss their goals for getting off lignite and don't even have an end date for Natural Gas yet.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Cugel the Clever posted:

Thats actually dumber. Wow.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Oh thank god. I read that and was like, how is that not dumber

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh thank god. I read that and was like, how is that not dumber
Ah, yeah, I misread the initial post.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

USCPSC is the only organ of the U.S. government that cares about child death.

lightpole posted:

Lawns are already pretty gross. My dream house has a white roof and native plants.

Green roof :getin:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Platystemon posted:

USCPSC is the only organ of the U.S. government that cares about child death.

Green roof :getin:

Solar roof. :regd09:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

The solar roofing doesn't really do enough to justify the cost over regular panels and Tesla is garbage. I just assumed anyone who should have a white roof will also have panels.

I haven't looked at green roofs, I just remember growing up, a house around the corner from us had one and the goats or sheep or whatever would be on top eating the grass.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Green roofs create a lot of new problems in roof construction and maintenance and they’re not for everyone.

But they’re so cool if you can pull it off.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The Arizona Fraudit is going to run into some problems.

https://twitter.com/Garrett_Archer/status/1390112757530251266

They have the space until May 14th, then the convention center kicks them out. Since the Arizona SecState is now on-the-ground watching this chucklefuckly poo poo, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a combined state/federal law action to halt everything based on how lovely it's being run.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

The Arizona Fraudit is going to run into some problems.

https://twitter.com/Garrett_Archer/status/1390112757530251266

They have the space until May 14th, then the convention center kicks them out. Since the Arizona SecState is now on-the-ground watching this chucklefuckly poo poo, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a combined state/federal law action to halt everything based on how lovely it's being run.

They are, right now, trying to prove that the ballots were printed in Asia to discredit them. Its laughably bad.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Platystemon posted:

Green roofs create a lot of new problems in roof construction and maintenance and they’re not for everyone.

But they’re so cool if you can pull it off.

I want one so I can let it get wild and overgrown, and then tell the city to gently caress off, its not my lawn their silly laws don't apply

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

I want one so I can let it get wild and overgrown, and then tell the city to gently caress off, its not my lawn their silly laws don't apply

It’s far more likely to simply die.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

They are, right now, trying to prove that the ballots were printed in Asia to discredit them. Its laughably bad.

By looking for bamboo fibers in the paper. Really, really laughably bad.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
China invented paper.

I think they know a thing or two about how to make it.

But these chucklefucks wouldn’t know a bamboo fiber if it slid into their nailbeds.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

By looking for bamboo fibers in the paper. Really, really laughably bad.

Don't worry, Cyber Ninja Inc is on top of it!....

....I work in Cybersecurity and this is the stupidest name for a company they could possibly think of.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I was looking for powershell info on a very niche thing and the only video was a guy who opened “WHATS UP MY CYBER NINJAS” and I refused to watch on principle even though it probably cost me half an hour of figuring it out myself. Worth every minute.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I was looking for powershell info on a very niche thing and the only video was a guy who opened “WHATS UP MY CYBER NINJAS” and I refused to watch on principle even though it probably cost me half an hour of figuring it out myself. Worth every minute.
I'm convinced this is some sort of command First Sergeants in cyber command issue to their Companies just before reveille.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Bell_ posted:

I'm convinced this is some sort of command First Sergeants in cyber command issue to their Companies just before reveille.

I think its more like "GOOD MORNING VIETNAM"

but by someone without any irony

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Much like the people prominently featured on the site, Liveleak is dead.

https://techstartups.com/2021/05/05/liveleak-shuts-15-years-online/

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

Much like the people prominently featured on the site, Liveleak is dead.

https://techstartups.com/2021/05/05/liveleak-shuts-15-years-online/

drat. Does anyone else miss the unfiltered internet of yore?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I miss plenty of the old internet but liveleak was not one of them

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Ahhhh, so this is that fever like side effects of the J&J...

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1390114275621056512?s=21

“I see too many homeless people on my way to my private jet”

gently caress you and I hope you get engine failure mid flight you assholes.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

boop the snoot posted:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1390114275621056512?s=21

“I see too many homeless people on my way to my private jet”

gently caress you and I hope you get engine failure mid flight you assholes.

That's a terrible thing to wish on these people.

Engine failure is relatively survivable in a modern airplane. "I hope you fly into the side of a mountain" would be more beneficial for society, as well as more likely given the way a lot of these assholes fly.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

That's a terrible thing to wish on these people.

Engine failure is relatively survivable in a modern airplane. "I hope you fly into the side of a mountain" would be more beneficial for society, as well as more likely given the way a lot of these assholes fly.

Fucks up the mountain though. Ocean’s better.

But holy poo poo the level of disconnection from the common folk on display in that interview is insane.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

FrozenVent posted:

Fucks up the mountain though. Ocean’s better.

But holy poo poo the level of disconnection from the common folk on display in that interview is insane.

Yeah it reminded me of recently when I had to check with a CPA about an issue and nearly every bit of advice he had was to plan around the risk of a homeless encampment moving next door. Our question had absolutely nothing to do with that and we didn't bring it up, but gotta make every part of your ten year tax plan around if tents appear in your yard and the government isn't going to do anything about it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sorry, if tents pop up in my yard I'm taking out some cookies and asking for help with some nagging problems around the house, not freaking the gently caress out and running away

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

RFC2324 posted:

Sorry, if tents pop up in my yard I'm taking out some cookies and asking for help with some nagging problems around the house, not freaking the gently caress out and running away

I lived in a house that had been illegally converted to a duplex, my landlord was a sweet old hippie who lived on the other side of the wall, and one day I came home to find a dude in a tent living on her side of the lawn. She had made friends with a homeless guy and invited him to live there, he was chill and we talked about Conan comics a lot and he gave me a lovely lockback pocket knife he found in a dumpster.

It turned out he smoked crack, but that wasn't why he left. It ended in drama and he was the one who moved out - he and my landlord got into a relationship but she was bipolar and they'd get into big arguments and at one point she shoved him and he moved back out to the yard then took off. He told me he was leaving because he was worried somebody was going to call the cops because of the fighting and he was worried that no matter how chill he was, if the cops rolled up to a fight between an older white lady and an (also older) black guy then it was going to go poorly for him.

This was in Austin, same city that is just about to pass a public camping ban. No discussion of what people are going to do or where they're supposed to go. It's just going to end up with a bunch of people in jail for being poor. poo poo makes me really loving mad.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Notahippie posted:

I lived in a house that had been illegally converted to a duplex, my landlord was a sweet old hippie who lived on the other side of the wall, and one day I came home to find a dude in a tent living on her side of the lawn. She had made friends with a homeless guy and invited him to live there, he was chill and we talked about Conan comics a lot and he gave me a lovely lockback pocket knife he found in a dumpster.

It turned out he smoked crack, but that wasn't why he left. It ended in drama and he was the one who moved out - he and my landlord got into a relationship but she was bipolar and they'd get into big arguments and at one point she shoved him and he moved back out to the yard then took off. He told me he was leaving because he was worried somebody was going to call the cops because of the fighting and he was worried that no matter how chill he was, if the cops rolled up to a fight between an older white lady and an (also older) black guy then it was going to go poorly for him.

This was in Austin, same city that is just about to pass a public camping ban. No discussion of what people are going to do or where they're supposed to go. It's just going to end up with a bunch of people in jail for being poor. poo poo makes me really loving mad.

So the camping ban has passed. Enforcement is in question though. Austin police are fairly understaffed, if they have to respond to a protest or something that actually requires police presence, they won't be able to clear out the "camps" that have sprung up.

The whole situation leading up to the repeal of the camping ban, and its reinstatement, is one failed policy decision followed by another. If, at any point, the government actually did what they said they would do Austin would not be in the situation it is in now.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Austin is hostage to the state. Austin tries to do something, state GOP fucks with the rules, Austin winds up with its' tail between its' legs.

Or at least, this is how my cousin in Austin describes it.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Good overall breakdown here: https://youtu.be/5az_EKGYOeE

And on other stuff

1) Sounds like someone got absolutely and completely broken during boot camp

https://twitter.com/LethalityJane/status/1390340611924840451?s=19

2) Remember these idiots? Well, the NY AG did and she was want them to literally pay.

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1390340892872032262?s=19

quote:

"Getting angry black call backs… the black robo call was a great jw idea," Burkman says in one.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 6, 2021

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Just got that first Pfizer jab, cell reception hasn't improved yet.

What's been the usual side effects for people so far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

not caring here posted:

Just got that first Pfizer jab, cell reception hasn't improved yet.

What's been the usual side effects for people so far?

First hit of the 2-dose mRNA vaccines tends to be minor. Mine (Moderna) was about double the arm soreness of a typical year's flu shot and nothing else. Brother felt a lot of nothing on his Pfizer.

The second dose is the full-blown immune response - I got a 100 fever with soreness, my brother got a 103 fever and general ick. Goes away quick, 24 hours for the both of us. There are reports of people with zero side effects at all, but it seems to be the exception. These vaccines are very, *very* good at triggering the immune response, then you feel better once things get calmer and there's no underlying infection to kill!