Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Djarum posted:

81 as well. For me it was He-Man, then Voltron and Transformers. I got heavily into Ghostbusters the second it hit as I was already a huge fan of the movie. That lasted into early TMNT and the Toy Biz DC and later Marvel figures. I didn’t get into GI Joe until very late like 1988/89 when it was starting to go downhill.

There was some random stuff in there like Teddy Ruxpin (which is super underrated, especially how deep and dark that cartoon got), Captain Power and MASK.

Oh yeah I forgot Voltron. Dressed up as him for Halloween in kindergarten, no one in my class knew wtf. Also Thundercats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I know one Christmas in the 80s I received both the combining Lion Voltron and Vehicle Voltron. I couldn’t tell you where they all are now. :smith:

I was massive on Ghostbusters and Transformers, but had way more of the former. I had a few GI Joes because I liked the detailing and accessories they came with. I also had some He-Man, but I prefered the more tech-based characters like Extendar. And yes, Crash Test Dummies! I forgot completely about those, but I definitely liked them.

Later on I got really into the Playmates Star Trek figures for a while. They were all really good, with such a variety of characters. I really appreciate that if I ever want to scratch that itch again, I can pick them up today for like $5 a pop.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 5, 2021

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Shiftypenguin posted:

I was going to post almost EXACTLY this except replace Crash Dummies with Aliens/Predators.

Then again, I'm pretty sure this applies to many boys born in '84.

Christ I cannot believe that I of all loving people forgot the Kenner Aliens/Predator stuff. I even still have all of mine.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Fuzz posted:

Oh yeah I forgot Voltron. Dressed up as him for Halloween in kindergarten, no one in my class knew wtf. Also Thundercats.

Dude I had Voltron sheets growing up and when I went to college I got a new set for my bed. I have tried looking for at least some of the pillowcases again and they seem more rare than a Target Exclusive or AEW figure.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

83 here.

I loved those DC toys with the fabric cape that snapped onto the neck. I used to pretend to blind the heroes by putting it over their faces.

It was the Toy Biz line - god I remember the ring too! IIRC it was a magnet that stuck to Superman.

I bought a sealed Batman and Joker about 5 years ago - I should find that Superman toy.

The entire line loving ruled.

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

Hot Toys Iron Man Mark 47 from Homecoming and Spider-Man Upgraded Suit from Far From Home came in today.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Born in the mid-70s, so I went towards Mego Superheroes (particularly anything BATMAN), then Star Wars, He-Man, G.I. Joe, Transformers, then WWF, with a smattering of MASK, SuperPowers, Thundercats, and Real Ghostbusters thrown in.

Gotta admit with He-Man, I preferred the story told in the early packed-in comics, instead of the way the cartoon went.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Vintersorg posted:

83 here.

I loved those DC toys with the fabric cape that snapped onto the neck. I used to pretend to blind the heroes by putting it over their faces.

It was the Toy Biz line - god I remember the ring too! IIRC it was a magnet that stuck to Superman.

I bought a sealed Batman and Joker about 5 years ago - I should find that Superman toy.

Most of the figures were Super Powers figures but yeah that like ruled. I had the Riddler and Mr. Freeze along with the movie Batman and Joker.

Toy Biz lost the license and ended up with the Marvel stuff which they effectively ended up owning at a certain point.

The entire Marvel Super Heroes and the first X-Men waves are right up there with me too. I had most of both lines. For a comic book obsessed kid it was a great time. You had all the great figures coming out, the trading cards were incredible and you had the last real boom in the industry all at the same time.

I keep meaning to try and get a complete set of the Marvel Super Heroes line and the First two Marvel Universe card sets along with that Jim Lee X-Men series. That was basically 1990-92 for me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Davros1 posted:

Gotta admit with He-Man, I preferred the story told in the early packed-in comics, instead of the way the cartoon went.

I remember the pack-in comics being much darker than the cartoon.

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

Noticable lack of power ranger representation.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Vintersorg posted:

83 here.

Jesus this brings me back. The Penguin's umbrella was so janky. Batman's retractable grappling hook.

Reminds me of a series of DC superhero figures that I think were gas station promos? I swear someone else itt referenced them not too long ago. Did I have a red tornado from that line? I'm an 83 baby and if there was a cartoon with a toy line I had a part of it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dale-Taco posted:

I kinda sorta watched the show as a kid and my friends had the toys and we’d play with them, but I was never into them and didn’t have any of my own.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I had a decent sized group of the big and small Power Rangers toys. I know I had a Dragon Thunderzord. I did how the full Ninja Megazord group and the Falconzord.

I had a really cool Spider-Man from the 90s cartoon. He eventually died because the rubber band that held his legs to his torso broke.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Shiroc posted:

I had a decent sized group of the big and small Power Rangers toys. I know I had a Dragon Thunderzord. I did how the full Ninja Megazord group and the Falconzord.

I had a really cool Spider-Man from the 90s cartoon. He eventually died because the rubber band that held his legs to his torso broke.

Oh poo poo, I had a ton of Spidey toys from the90s cartoon too. I sold them all after I lost my job last December, since I’d replaced a lot of them with Marvel Legends anyway.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I had all the MMPR figures that had the head swap button and (I think?) the goofy robot. I even found an extra black Ranger on the beach once, so I used to pretend that dude had a twin.

I also had an oversized plush of the red Ranger that had a hard vinyl head, and my little sister used to take that thing and swing it at me like a loving club whenever I pissed her off. That thing hurt.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think you could put Mr.Freeze in the freezer so he turned a different colour so my mom would always find him on the weekends getting cold, lol.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
The best old Batman figure was Bob the Goon, he was the butt of all jokes with my brothers and I when we played with him.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Dale-Taco posted:

I watched the original "Power Rangers" show back in 1977, GoRanger, on a Japanese channel here in San Francisco. It had english subtitles that were done in Honlulu. I had some of the vehicles, some soft vinyl figures, and a couple die cast rangers as well. In the 90s I saw that PR started and watched a few episodes, but really wasn't into it, but I did like that more American kids could get into Sentai now.

The current PR show running in Japan is the 45th anniversary series and it's a goddamned hoot. Zenkaiger owns. Its the first Super Sentai I'm actively following since the 1980s (I think FlashMan was the last show I watched)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUwbOG0Jv6o

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I watched the original "Power Rangers" show back in 1977, GoRanger, on a Japanese channel here in San Francisco. It had english subtitles that were done in Honlulu. I had some of the vehicles, some soft vinyl figures, and a couple die cast rangers as well. In the 90s I saw that PR started and watched a few episodes, but really wasn't into it, but I did like that more American kids could get into Sentai now.

The current PR show running in Japan is the 45th anniversary series and it's a goddamned hoot. Zenkaiger owns. Its the first Super Sentai I'm actively following since the 1980s (I think FlashMan was the last show I watched)

My son watched this over my shoulder and ask where can he get these toys. They really know their audience.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Dale-Taco posted:

My son watched this over my shoulder and ask where can he get these toys. They really know their audience.

I've ordered a few things from the series from Amazon Japan for my co-worker's 7 year old son; I've been feeding them the fansubbed episodes as they are released and little Gus goes APESHIT over it. I think places like AmiAmi sells them as well and can ship to the States.

The show is up to episode 9 now. It's really a lot of fun and definitely for the younger set.

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I've ordered a few things from the series from Amazon Japan for my co-worker's 7 year old son; I've been feeding them the fansubbed episodes as they are released and little Gus goes APESHIT over it. I think places like AmiAmi sells them as well and can ship to the States.

The show is up to episode 9 now. It's really a lot of fun and definitely for the younger set.

Link to the subs?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Pm'd

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

As someone who's watched all but 3 seasons of Power Rangers and dozen's of Sentai, I just can't get with those designs. Most modern Sentai costumes/ Mecha do nothing for me.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

JT Smiley posted:

As someone who's watched all but 3 seasons of Power Rangers and dozen's of Sentai, I just can't get with those designs. Most modern Sentai costumes/ Mecha do nothing for me.

They are based on a TON of old Sentai series- you notice the red robot has a form that is much like the original PR Megazord. The main guy has a suit that is a mix of Red ranger from GoRanger and the leader from JACKQ. This series is basically a huge anniversary celebration show and is one of the best I've seen in a long time. Also this is the first PR series where many of the characters are robots (there is a specific reason for it).

edit: Also in the series old Rangers and their zords are showing up in episodes

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Louisgod posted:

The best old Batman figure was Bob the Goon, he was the butt of all jokes with my brothers and I when we played with him.

My friend is dying to find one for a decent price. He’s the type of person to get drunk, grab you, and say “You’re...my number one guy.”

And the only real good Power Ranger toys were the zords and the morphers. The Rangers themselves kind of sucked.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

They are based on a TON of old Sentai series- you notice the red robot has a form that is much like the original PR Megazord. The main guy has a suit that is a mix of Red ranger from GoRanger and the leader from JACKQ. This series is basically a huge anniversary celebration show and is one of the best I've seen in a long time. Also this is the first PR series where many of the characters are robots (there is a specific reason for it).

edit: Also in the series old Rangers and their zords are showing up in episodes

Well yeah, the show's not exactly subtle about it's inspirations. I mean the sixth ranger is literally just a repainted Gokaiger with some random bits added to the costume like one of those "Original Character, do not steal" deals you see on Deviant Art.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

JT Smiley posted:

Well yeah, the show's not exactly subtle about it's inspirations. I mean the sixth ranger is literally just a repainted Gokaiger with some random bits added to the costume like one of those "Original Character, do not steal" deals you see on Deviant Art.

There is literally a distinct reason why he's like that in this show (he went to the Gokaiger dimension and liked their costumes so they stole them).

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Xenomrph posted:

Christ I cannot believe that I of all loving people forgot the Kenner Aliens/Predator stuff. I even still have all of mine.

I still have all of mine too! My son plays with many of them now.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Shiftypenguin posted:

I still have all of mine too! My son plays with many of them now.

The NECA remakes of the Kenner stuff are fantastic, and the lore in the recent Alien RPG makes a ton of references to the Kenner Aliens stuff, it’s loving great.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I def hosed up not getting those joes a little while back. GameStop won’t ship mine, and they’re all gone from every time Walmart I’ve been too.

Bah.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I was born on 89, but local TV stations broadcasted GI Joe and Transformers until the mid 90s so I grew up with both, and for some reason, GI Joe were easily available in my city (according to my parents I had so many, that I lost them and didn't notice). I still have a few of those 90s Joes.

I only learned about He-Man in the late 90s, when I finally got cable and saw old episodes on Cartoon Network, but by then I moved from American cartoons to anime and DBZ was much more my thing (I wish I had kept the DBZ action figures I got back then).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Walmart just cancelled both preorders I made earlier today for their exclusive Vintage Collection and Black Series stuff.

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised by this point but it’s still so aggravating. Kinda debating just getting out of mass retail lines altogether and just putting that same money toward stuff like Hot Toys or the handful of POTF Kenner Star Wars figures I need instead.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Djarum posted:

Dude I had Voltron sheets growing up and when I went to college I got a new set for my bed. I have tried looking for at least some of the pillowcases again and they seem more rare than a Target Exclusive or AEW figure.

When I was probably 4 or so I got an MMPR bed set, the comforter from that set remained in use to varying extents till a good chunk through High School, but then Power Rangers was one of those franchises I never stopped being a fan of(probably helps that around the time I would have otherwise grown out of it is when I started finding out about Super Sentai and other Tokusatsu series on the internet and a whole new world was opened up to me)

Davros1 posted:

Born in the mid-70s, so I went towards Mego Superheroes (particularly anything BATMAN), then Star Wars, He-Man, G.I. Joe, Transformers, then WWF, with a smattering of MASK, SuperPowers, Thundercats, and Real Ghostbusters thrown in.

The_Doctor posted:

I remember the pack-in comics being much darker than the cartoon.

Dark Horse put out a very nice(and surprisingly cheap) collection of all the minicomics a few years ago

Dale-Taco posted:

Best piece of Power Rangers merchandise that wasn't a toy of the robots(or the larger figures of the monsters they did) was this ridiculous hunk of plastic that you hung on your front door and it had a button you could press and it would play the theme song, for obvious reasons that one didn't hang around very long

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Agreed about Zenkaiger being good

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Child of the 80s. I was a military brat we didn't even have the ton of options on base for toys, I remember many times just scouring the JCPENNY chirstmas catalogues for what I wanted.

What I started to realize now is that my parents rarely ever bought us the villains from any toy lines except for TMNT where it was less obvious who was even bad or good since they were all a little weird or gross. We had some He-Man toys but no Skeletor. I wonder if my parents being so religious had anything to do with it, them not wanting to give us toys of evil looking characters. I really started noticing this when I began collecting toys as an adult searching for the toys I always wanted but never got and most of them were the bad guys.

When we did move back to the states I remember my aunt taking me to KB toys and buying me a couple of the 90s Xmen figures and that was my main jam for a long time.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Zenkaiger is frigging crazy and Zenkaiser is instantly one of my top-10 superhero costumes of all time. I really hope they convert it into Power Rangers so I don’t have to pay import fees for the action figures, but I’m not holding my breath.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Walmart just cancelled both preorders I made earlier today for their exclusive Vintage Collection and Black Series stuff.

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised by this point but it’s still so aggravating. Kinda debating just getting out of mass retail lines altogether and just putting that same money toward stuff like Hot Toys or the handful of POTF Kenner Star Wars figures I need instead.

Personally, my joy of collecting did go up a lot when I stopped actively following anything that went into stores. I just check the shelves when I'm there and if I see anything I like, I can get it. That most collector toys have also abandoned the back of the package checklist for other characters is also a boon to this approach.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Born 1977 started with Star Wars but for some reason didn't really get many ROTJ figures. By then I was already into He-Man and GI Joe. Loved Transformers but Joes were my favorite. When it came down to it, though, the most nostalgia was for the Star Wars toys so I spent the early 90s buying all the Kenner stuff I didn't have which was a good move given the price increases. I suppose my first memories are of playing with the various ESB toys but I guess having the movies be such a strong, ongoing draw for me kept the Star Wars spirit alive. The last toys I bought were TMNT when they first came out with the soft heads. I thought they were cool but I didn't really play much with them before Nintendo took over.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I posted a bit earlier about getting into He-Man and She-Ra as a kid. I recall that before I even got into He-Man, I was into Voltron, but my parents couldn't afford one of the giant transforming toys (or weren't willing to buy it for a four-year-old who would probably just destroy or lose it immediately) and the best I got was a little 6-inch 5poa non-transforming Voltron... which I actually still have in pretty good shape. It wasn't until after I graduated high school I finally got a reissued Voltron that Trendmasters put out in the late 90s, and I honestly rank that as one of the best days of my life.

Really though the alpha and the omega of my toy collecting is Star Wars... the first two action figures I ever owned were "Luke and Wookie," a Bespin Luke and Chewie which my dad also scored at a yard sale. (He was great at finding me cool poo poo that other kids didn't want anymore.) Both of those figures were lost and/or broken, re-purchased, lost and/or broken again, over several years.

I had a fairly modest Star Wars collection as a kid, and my constant hunting for more Star Wars toys in the decade after they were discontinued is probably how I ended up where I am today. I remember buying and trading with other kids in my neighborhood, scouring antique stores, flea markets and yard sales, trying to scrape together any Star Wars thing I could find. I remember getting a Snowspeeder, sans most of its removable parts, at a yard sale in the mid-90s, and that was an amazing find. My holy grail when I was a kid was the Millennium Falcon... Some lovely local secondhand store had one 15 feet up on a shelf at the back of their store, but refused to part with it for less than like $150 or something crazy like that, some price which as a child in the 90s was truly an unreasonable price, to such a degree I didn't even consider saving up for it. That thing taunted me any time I went in there, though. Made me mad. I didn't get a Millennium Falcon until Kenner reissued it in '95. Again, that was a good day.

When Kenner finally started putting out new/reissued Star Wars stuff after the bitter drought of 1985-1995, I went crazy with those things; I had a decent summer job and just about every paycheck went to more Star Wars toys for a couple of years. I had to slow it down eventually because I was running out of space for the things, and I sort of have to remind myself sometimes to this day that, honestly, I have enough Star Wars stuff for two lifetimes. It's sort of a relief that it's all moving to 6-inch scale... because I don't want to collect 6-inch scale. I can safely ignore most of the cool Star Wars toys out now.

Of course, I did recently pay $400 for the NEW Millennium Falcon... The exception that proves the rule.

And to be honest I also collected basically any toy that looked cool throughout the 80s, 90's and early 2000s... got way into TMNT, Jurassic Park and Aliens later on. I even bought a lot of GI Joes in the later RAH years, despite having zero interest in the show or comics, just because they were cool sci-fi looking toys, cheap, and available everywhere at a time when not a lot of other cool toys were out. There would be dozens of those guys at every drug store.

I got heavily into early McFarlane toys, and I have loving bins and bins full of huge crazy-looking monsters from those days. When I was going through my stuff for my recent move, I could not believe the sheer volume of Spawn poo poo that I own. I don't even remember buying most of it, it's like I went into some consumer zombie blackout trance for like 3 years. I don't know what I'm going to do with that stuff.

MOTU 200x was the thing that kind of snapped me out of the mindless consumer trance of my early adulthood. First because those toys were so goddamn cool I was ready to sell off all of my other possessions and collect only that for the rest of my life, and then when the line got canceled my disillusionment was so deep and bitter that I basically stopped collecting toys for like... 15 years.

But there's some cool poo poo coming out now!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Oh my gosh, the yellow kitty ranger :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The_Doctor posted:

Oh my gosh, the yellow kitty ranger :3:

That’s really obviously a Predator, just look at those dreadlocks.