Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

dorium posted:

I've used this DIY formula in the past to great results

https://londonjazzcollector.wordpress.com/for-audiophiles/home-brew-cleaner-for-vacuum-rcms/

I use this now

https://highend-electronics.com/products/chisto-easy-concentrate

You can make a gallon of it by dumping the concentrate in a gallon of distilled water

https://www.ttvjaudio.com/TTVJAudio-Vinyl-Zyme-Record-Cleaner-2-oz-Concentra-p/aat0001000.htm

used this one in the past, only stopped when i noticed weird globules growing in the bottles i kept it in. Decided it wasnt worth the risk even if other people said it was fine.

I've been using this one which is cheap and effective:

https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RDRXLP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrJzDzumx8AIVcRh9Ch0I5gxNEAQYAyABEgIIHfD_BwE

I think Mobile Fidelity makes one that costs about 25 bucks as well. I've never tried it. That said, it is surprisingly difficult to find an empty plastic jug unless you want to pay like 17 bucks shipping in addition to the jug's cost which is usually 15 bucks minimum. I lucked out because I managed to get a jug for ten bucks from a photography supply store and a pump top for it for like two bucks and change from a beauty supply store. You can probably just use the jug that the water comes in but I preferred not to do that and it looks like the amount of fluid I have will last for a really long time considering how much of it I've used thus far and how many records it's cleaned. It could even take a few years to get to the bottom of the jug. So those costs together sound like a lot until you realize how far it's going to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I bought some science squeeze bottles for science fluids (but I also think for condiments like ketchup)

I kinda prefer this style though

whenever id turn over the tall bottle to squirt some cleaning solution out it would make a giant puddle that would be tough to move around without it going over the edge. the curved one lets you judiciously apply as much or as little as you want.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

I bought some science squeeze bottles for science fluids (but I also think for condiments like ketchup)

I kinda prefer this style though

whenever id turn over the tall bottle to squirt some cleaning solution out it would make a giant puddle that would be tough to move around without it going over the edge. the curved one lets you judiciously apply as much or as little as you want.

I use the pump top to fill up a little squirt bottle instead of just pumping that poo poo out onto the record from the big jug.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Gents, I picked up a pro-ject carbon evo recently. It comes with a sumiko rainier installed. From my previous set up (the entry level AT table which has been in storage for about 5 years because of space issues) I have this cartridge, which is apparently discontinued: Audio-Technica AT440MLa Dual Moving Magnet Cartridge

Which cartridge is “better”? I don’t remember what I paid for the MLa like 7 years ago, but I recall it was pretty expensive. It looks like the sumiko retails for ~150 on its own (so cheaper). But I also realize cost doesn’t necessarily mean “better,” particularly in a sound setup with multiple components.

I have a vintage Yamaha receiver and a pair of HDP6 speakers if that is helpful information.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

I remember someone in this thread about 8 years ago posted a pic of their copy of The Garden by Zero 7 and I looked them up out of boredom and they became one of my favorite bands. Cheers.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

dantheman650 posted:

It's a brand new turntable I just got last week.

It doesn't make any sense to me because I've always heard many audiophiles prefer vinyl but I can't believe any audiophile would tolerate this level of popping. It's totally distracting. I don't mind a little bit of low background noise, but sharp pops take me completely out of the music.

What record are you listening to and what pressing? A lot of times you can look up different pressings beforehand and see if it’s got good reviews.

But if you want quiet, get CDs. Crackle, hiss, and pops is what people like about listening to records.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

CPL593H posted:

For a variety of reasons this is the absolute worst time to start collecting records.

That's a bit hyperbolic, don't you think? There are certain issues associated with the vinyl boom but it's otherwise fantastic - everything new is pressed on vinyl these days. Tons of reissues are being put out. I mean I guess if all you want out of the hobby is crate digging for dusty $2 copies of mid-career Lou Reed albums then yeah that ship has mostly sailed

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Download code:

Leon Vynehall - Rare, Forever
https://ninjatune.net/vinyldownloads/
50D07B6E

Y2KayBug posted:

Got this record its 200% electronica by Esprit

Nice. I got a similar one recently

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Barry posted:

That's a bit hyperbolic, don't you think? There are certain issues associated with the vinyl boom but it's otherwise fantastic - everything new is pressed on vinyl these days. Tons of reissues are being put out. I mean I guess if all you want out of the hobby is crate digging for dusty $2 copies of mid-career Lou Reed albums then yeah that ship has mostly sailed

It’s worse this year than it was last year, and the year before that, and the year before that. Prices are going up, not down. Quality control is getting worse, not better. I disagree that everything is being released on lp now with the pressing capacity issues created by pressing millions of records for Walmart and Target that nobody wants, and all those re-issues of major label albums there are a million of already in circulation, and cash-grab stuff like soundtracks and video game music. I’ve seen new releases substantially delayed or cassette/digital only because of this.

If you want to be able to order lots of new records on Amazon and have them shipped to your house, sure, it’s a great time to be alive. I’d rather dig through crates.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

On the subject of cleaning, a few months ago I bought a Kaiu stylus cleaner and that thing works wonders at getting dust and static off the needle. Not sure if it still works but there was a promo code "fortherecord" at the time that also saved me an extra 10% on it.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

BigFactory posted:

It’s worse this year than it was last year, and the year before that, and the year before that. Prices are going up, not down. Quality control is getting worse, not better. I disagree that everything is being released on lp now with the pressing capacity issues created by pressing millions of records for Walmart and Target that nobody wants, and all those re-issues of major label albums there are a million of already in circulation, and cash-grab stuff like soundtracks and video game music. I’ve seen new releases substantially delayed or cassette/digital only because of this.

If you want to be able to order lots of new records on Amazon and have them shipped to your house, sure, it’s a great time to be alive. I’d rather dig through crates.

But it's really easy to ignore the negatives - just don't buy the things that are expensive or Funko pop level collectibles or slowed down AIR bootlegs or expensive alchemist recordings or MONDO FOMO poo poo or whatever you don't like.

Maybe I'm lucky but I don't really feel like I run into quality issues and it's generally pretty easy to go on discogs and do a bit of research ahead of time. Sure, taking that extra step sucks but at least it's an option.

I might very well listen to pedestrian garbage but just about anything new that comes out that I like is released on LP and all the dumb poo poo I'm nostalgic about is getting repressed, so that's cool too. I feel like even the tiniest of tiny labels are getting things pressed on LP without super significant delay or maybe I'm not actually paying attention (probably the latter). I guess I'm also just incredibly patient in general, so if something I want is not available or somehow delayed I'll just make a mental note of it and check back later.

I will agree that if crate digging for used records is your jam then yeah, everyone and their sister doing exactly that has probably harshed that vibe quite a bit.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

dantheman650 posted:

I have a brand new Uturn Orbit Plus with a Ortofon OM5E cartridge. It must be clean because I've only played about 6 records on it, and all of them were new and shrinkwrapped.

I got this kit from a few pages ago:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X7SBCRZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1&pldnSite=1

I started with just the nylon brush, but that didn't even come close to removing all the dust, so I used the velvet brush with the wet spray. I guess that helped a little but not enough.

What is a full liquid wash and how do you do it?

You won’t love to hear this, but in my experience some needles are better or worse at dealing with pops and clicks. Reading the first review for the ortofon on Amazon, it mentions hearing every pop and click, which makes me think it’s something about the design of it.

Was there a reason you went with the Ortofon? Is it still returnable? There are some cheaper Audio Technica needles that are potentially quieter. Otherwise you can’t go wrong with a lot of other brands that range from $50-$500. I think you’ll find the sound more pleasant.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Barry posted:

But it's really easy to ignore the negatives - just don't buy the things that are expensive or Funko pop level collectibles or slowed down AIR bootlegs or expensive alchemist recordings or MONDO FOMO poo poo or whatever you don't like.

Maybe I'm lucky but I don't really feel like I run into quality issues and it's generally pretty easy to go on discogs and do a bit of research ahead of time. Sure, taking that extra step sucks but at least it's an option.

I might very well listen to pedestrian garbage but just about anything new that comes out that I like is released on LP and all the dumb poo poo I'm nostalgic about is getting repressed, so that's cool too. I feel like even the tiniest of tiny labels are getting things pressed on LP without super significant delay or maybe I'm not actually paying attention (probably the latter). I guess I'm also just incredibly patient in general, so if something I want is not available or somehow delayed I'll just make a mental note of it and check back later.

I will agree that if crate digging for used records is your jam then yeah, everyone and their sister doing exactly that has probably harshed that vibe quite a bit.

You don’t care that records cost twice as much as what they did 10 years ago? A new single LP is sometimes $40.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I'm not sure where you're buying your records or what records they are (pricing is all over the place) but I don't find that to be true. COL is like 20% higher now than it was 10 years ago but most single LPs I buy these days are still sub-$20.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Barry posted:

I'm not sure where you're buying your records or what records they are (pricing is all over the place) but I don't find that to be true. COL is like 20% higher now than it was 10 years ago but most single LPs I buy these days are still sub-$20.

New and not on sale? Not at the record stores near me.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m usually 25-35.

The only new I’ve gotten for sub 20 was an EP.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rolo posted:

I’m usually 25-35.

The only new I’ve gotten for sub 20 was an EP.

Yeah $27-30 is typical for what I see for new albums. And every once in a while you see a major label release that’s like $37.99 for a single lp.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Y'all are making me happy that I'm on old rear end man 100% content to be looking for 30-50 year old albums, and with a local store where I can find a decent assortment of them for $5-15 in good shape, as well as some nice cheap oddities.

Because gently caress paying $50 for FOMO bullshit limited releases, especially when it's picachu at half speed or whatever.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://reckless.com/ is where I do most of my local shopping. They certainly have no shortage of expensive single LPs but I looked at my last two receipts - Flying Burrito Brothers - Gilded Palace of Sin ($17.99), Angel Olsen - Strange Cacti ($12.99, EP), Japandroids - Post Nothing ($12.99), Big Black - Lungs ($12.99, EP) Fugazi - Instrument ($14.99), Jenny Lewis - On The Line ($21.99), Killing Joke - Pandemonium ($41.99, 2LP, expensive but way cheaper than an OG)

e: I believe Post Nothing and Strange Cacti were used, maybe even Lungs

Barry fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 5, 2021

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Someone mentioned starting to do it not so long ago, and I decided to have a little go as well - picking up < Ł3 Classical recordings from Discogs as they haven't yet been "discovered" and the prices pushed up.

First was a 5LP box set (for Ł15) and then I've been getting more from the same label (Deutsche Grammophon). I usually get 3-4 at a time from the same seller so shipping usually stays at the same price and I don't pay extra.

It does help if you like Classical music.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Dead Goon posted:

Someone mentioned starting to do it not so long ago, and I decided to have a little go as well - picking up < Ł3 Classical recordings from Discogs as they haven't yet been "discovered" and the prices pushed up.

First was a 5LP box set (for Ł15) and then I've been getting more from the same label (Deutsche Grammophon). I usually get 3-4 at a time from the same seller so shipping usually stays at the same price and I don't pay extra.

It does help if you like Classical music.

That may have been me. I've been doing exactly this as well, and am rediscovering classical.

The classical thread is slow but pretty good: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3375303

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Barry posted:

https://reckless.com/ is where I do most of my local shopping. They certainly have no shortage of expensive single LPs but I looked at my last two receipts - Flying Burrito Brothers - Gilded Palace of Sin ($17.99), Angel Olsen - Strange Cacti ($12.99, EP), Japandroids - Post Nothing ($12.99), Big Black - Lungs ($12.99, EP) Fugazi - Instrument ($14.99), Jenny Lewis - On The Line ($21.99), Killing Joke - Pandemonium ($41.99, 2LP, expensive but way cheaper than an OG)

e: I believe Post Nothing and Strange Cacti were used, maybe even Lungs

I’m not saying at all that you can’t find things on sale, or cheaper EPs, but the average price for new (not dead stock) lps is still around $30.

But just my personal take, ordering a bunch of records online just isn’t that much fun for me or much of a hobby, its just shopping. The fun is finding things in weird places like thrift stores and flea markets and garage sales. I’m going to meet a lunatic from Craigslist next weekend who is going to bring 50-100 albums to a public library for me to look at and he probably wants a million dollars for a dumb Buffalo Springfield album or something. But maybe there’s something good there! I won’t know until I go!

stealie72 posted:

Because gently caress paying $50 for FOMO bullshit limited releases, especially when it's picachu at half speed or whatever.

Ive seen more of the big pop releases being gouged like that.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
The two worst offenders for expensive standard releases are Lana Del Rey and The Weeknd. Anything they do is usually $35+ when I see it in a store. Most other new releases are usually $25-28 near me.

I was in Walmart picking up random things and looked at their records and a lot of it is just stupid 90s stuff or some random color variant. I did almost buy the 4xLP of the White Album for $50 but decided I’d rather have the $50.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

BigFactory posted:

But just my personal take, ordering a bunch of records online just isn’t that much fun for me or much of a hobby, its just shopping. The fun is finding things in weird places like thrift stores and flea markets and garage sales. I’m going to meet a lunatic from Craigslist next weekend who is going to bring 50-100 albums to a public library for me to look at and he probably wants a million dollars for a dumb Buffalo Springfield album or something. But maybe there’s something good there! I won’t know until I go!

You're right, the vast pool of previously un-spelunked thrift stores and flea markets and whatnot are long since picked over and that's not coming back until vinyl croaks again and is rediscovered in 40 more years. I do basically all my shopping at local record stores (many of which still have completely reasonably priced used records and stacks of them to comb through) besides the occasional internet order because everything here has been picked over since like 2013 so I guess I don't really miss that aspect of the hobby because it's been gone for so long.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Prices going up and quality going down is a legitimate complaint. Warner/Rhino use to sell analog reissues for under 20 bucks and they sounded amazing. Now any run of the mill big label release is double the price and they're nowhere near the quality of those. Rhino use to be one of the best reissue labels out there. The secondary market has just gone nuts and those prices have tripled because of people with more money than sense. It's not as fun as it use to be.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
It’s weird how there were “white whale” records 10 years ago that you never planned on ever seeing in person that suddenly have gotten repressed. It’s not the same as finding a vintage copy, but it’s cool.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

VladimirLeninpest posted:

It’s weird how there were “white whale” records 10 years ago that you never planned on ever seeing in person that suddenly have gotten repressed. It’s not the same as finding a vintage copy, but it’s cool.

See, I think that makes it way less cool. I don’t need to own every record but it’s cool that there’s really rare stuff out there that you might find in a garage or something some day.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

A lot of the time the old copies are still better than the reissues. I was also pretty hyped to find a first pressing of Alan Vega -s/t in a record store last year right before everything closed down. That's something I never thought I'd see in the wild. It was a good send off to me going into an actual shop. I looked on discogs and it's actually cheaper than the reissue for some reason. The latter is a limited edition. But still, who the hell is going to pay more for a reissue than a first pressing? The thing I've been dying to find for a few years is the no wave compilation No New York.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

BigFactory posted:

You might be surprised to discover movie and video game soundtracks have been on vinyl for several decades. This is the second time, recently, in this thread that movie and game soundtracks have become a boogeyman for ruining the hobby. "Everyone in line wants big mac but I want a mcchicken! Why do I have to wait too?! I don't want a big mac! Mcchickens are better!"

I'd be curious what releases were planned for vinyl but canned after the producer realized there are just too many Minecraft records in existence, or they went "hey an even dumber idea would be a cassette-only release." Sounds to me like people aren't planning their poo poo far enough in advance. Isn't there like one lacquer place remaining worldwide? Given the "new" vinyl boom is more like 5-years-old at this point, it shouldn't surprise anyone that the pressing plants are backed up, especially when they all rely on maybe just one lacquer supplier.

I can't disagree that there are lots of things that don't need repressed (who is buying Saturday Night Fever new??), but it doesn't help that Goodwill and other shops have been getting cleaned out by resellers for years at this point. I've had my current setup for a little over 4 years and have been to dozens of record stores across the US. I have yet to find a place that doesn't just grab the highest/avg sold Discogs price and slap it on a sticker. There's a copy of Classics by Ratatat nearby that is scratched to poo poo but still has a $32 price tag on it. I'm pretty sure I can order it directly from XL new for cheaper than that.

Anyway, I wanted to say the increasing prices suck for everyone, not just you, and it is lame/weird to pick a genre thst has existed since the 80s (earlier, for movie soundtracks) as a scapegoat for your frustration.

Back to my white hot stamper of 1988's Big

J.G.Crossley 877-vinyl-now

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 5, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Bloodplay it again posted:

You might be surprised to discover movie and video game soundtracks have been on vinyl for several decades. This is the second time, recently, in this thread that movie and game soundtracks have become a boogeyman for ruining the hobby. "Everyone in line wants big mac but I want a mcchicken! Why do I have to wait too?! I don't want a big mac! Mcchickens are better!"

I'd be curious what releases were planned for vinyl but canned after the producer realized there are just too many Minecraft records in existence, or they went "hey an even dumber idea would be a cassette-only release." Sounds to me like people aren't planning their poo poo far enough in advance. Isn't there like one lacquer place remaining worldwide? Given the "new" vinyl boom is more like 5-years-old at this point, it shouldn't surprise anyone that the pressing plants are backed up, especially when they all rely on maybe just one lacquer supplier.

I can't disagree that there are lots of things that don't need repressed (who is buying Saturday Night Fever new??), but it doesn't help that Goodwill and other shops have been getting cleaned out by resellers for years at this point. I've had my current setup for a little over 4 years and have been to dozens of record stores across the US. I have yet to find a place that doesn't just grab the highest/avg sold Discogs price and slap it on a sticker. There's a copy of Classics by Ratatat nearby that is scratched to poo poo but still has a $32 price tag on it. I'm pretty sure I can order it directly from XL new for cheaper than that.

Anyway, I wanted to say the increasing prices suck for everyone, not just you, and it is lame/weird to pick a genre thst has existed since the 80s (earlier, for movie soundtracks) as a scapegoat for your frustration.

Hey, not my fault if the stuff you like sucks.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Of course there have always been movie soundtrack albums. They just didn't use to cost 40-50 bucks a pop.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Of course there have always been movie soundtrack albums. They just didn't use to cost 40-50 bucks a pop.

Or had 6 different gimmick variant covers and limited edition colors and all that other nonsense.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
My hobby is I collect hobbies. Of all the poo poo I have a cyclical interest in, none of them have been spared COVID tax. Turns out people locked indoors and with a bunch of disposal income are going to start throwing it at poo poo that makes their life a little more tolerable that day. I know vinyl was on the cusp of this on-ramp for a while, but COVID took everything to another level.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Or had 6 different gimmick variant covers and limited edition colors and all that other nonsense.

A lot of people don't realize that there things actually have music on them. I was in a store recently and I heard some dipshit say "I don't even have a record player, I just want to collect them.".

Get the gently caress off my lawn.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

CPL593H posted:

A lot of people don't realize that there things actually have music on them. I was in a store recently and I heard some dipshit say "I don't even have a record player, I just want to collect them.".

Get the gently caress off my lawn.

You're gonna love NFTs.

Edit : Nothing loving Tangible! - I can't be the first to make that up right?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

midge posted:

You're gonna love NFTs.

Edit : Nothing loving Tangible! - I can't be the first to make that up right?

People are very stupid.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
On a vintage receiver what is the difference between “L+R” and “Stereo” modes? My Yamaha cr-1020 freaks out when in stereo but seems totally fine in l+r.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

CPL593H posted:

They don't now, either, unless you're buying them from Mondo. The last time I went to B&N, they had a giant section of soundtracks ranging from $15-25 with like an extra thousand they could order on top of them. The only ones that were more expensive were things like Disney picture discs or imports. I checked five stores for a specific album from The Offspring only to discover B&N was selling their own variant on yellow for cheaper than any of the used copies around me. The soundtrack section is the only semi-reasonably priced section in either of my local record stores. :shrug:

Mobile Fidelity's vinyl branch has been selling represses of every genre at $50 (which means $60+ in stores) for much longer than I've been ruining the hobby by buying soundtracks. I went to an audio store in early 2017 trying to buy a replacement belt for a Pro-Ject turntable and wasn't able to order one, but the owner was more than willing to try and sell me MoFi represses for $70 each while I was there. Who doesn't want to pay $10/Grateful Dead song? Then you get to argue with dead heads about which pressing is the best one, which I guess is worth the price of admission.

This thread never fails to crack me up when "guys, listen, I've done some searching and it turns out SOUNDTRACKS are reason why vinyl sucks now! They were gonna release the entire Residents discography in a box set for $50 to only Verified Actual Turntable Owners(tm) but they had to abandon all plans when it was discovered Mondo had ordered 3,000 copies of the Katamari Damacy soundtrack" comes up.

Does this happen with any other form of media? Books? Movies? TV shows? I want the Life and Times of Tim on blu-ray, but it isn't like the existence of The Big Bang Theory is what kept it from being released on anything besides DVD.

Besides, there's no reason to own any album on vinyl besides this one that Ballz introduced a few years ago. Everything else is just fluff.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

This thread never fails to crack me up when "guys, listen, I've done some searching and it turns out SOUNDTRACKS are reason why vinyl sucks now! They were gonna release the entire Residents discography in a box set for $50 to only Verified Actual Turntable Owners(tm) but they had to abandon all plans when it was discovered Mondo had ordered 3,000 copies of the Katamari Damacy soundtrack" comes up.

lol, amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

They don't now, either, unless you're buying them from Mondo. The last time I went to B&N, they had a giant section of soundtracks ranging from $15-25 with like an extra thousand they could order on top of them. The only ones that were more expensive were things like Disney picture discs or imports. I checked five stores for a specific album from The Offspring only to discover B&N was selling their own variant on yellow for cheaper than any of the used copies around me. The soundtrack section is the only semi-reasonably priced section in either of my local record stores. :shrug:

Mobile Fidelity's vinyl branch has been selling represses of every genre at $50 (which means $60+ in stores) for much longer than I've been ruining the hobby by buying soundtracks. I went to an audio store in early 2017 trying to buy a replacement belt for a Pro-Ject turntable and wasn't able to order one, but the owner was more than willing to try and sell me MoFi represses for $70 each while I was there. Who doesn't want to pay $10/Grateful Dead song? Then you get to argue with dead heads about which pressing is the best one, which I guess is worth the price of admission.

Does this happen with any other form of media? Books? Movies? TV shows? I want the Life and Times of Tim on blu-ray, but it isn't like the existence of The Big Bang Theory is what kept it from being released on anything besides DVD.

Besides, there's no reason to own any album on vinyl besides this one that Ballz introduced a few years ago. Everything else is just fluff.

The sad selection of LPs at the B&N in my area doesn't sell any records for under 25-30 bucks.