Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Rick Perry literally had a line in his campaign speech and debate lines bragging that he had executed more people than any other Governor in history.

Yeah, but did he pull the trigger? That's what makes a real Republican.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Vorik posted:

I ☝️ don't believe any of that. People came up with a million excuses after Bernie lost twice in a row as well. Democrats corrected course after the embarrassing defeat of 2016 and now we have one of the most progressive presidents in generations, as well as the Senate and the House. Labour in the UK went hard for the left and lost even harder the second time around and now their party is in shambles.

There was no "course" correction after 2016. The platform got less progressive and Biden still won. Trump was just awful.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

TulliusCicero posted:

Do they even have Subpoena power? They effectively control nothing

Also :lol: at subpoenas for Obama officials. "NEVER LET OUR BASE FORGET THERE WAS A BLACK GUY WE DIDN'T LIKE!" :byodood:

It's been 5 loving years. Get some new material.

I'm sure Republicans would subpoena all the Obama officials if they controlled the senate, but that's from May 2020. The GOP is so disciplined that part of their strategy for 2020 was for Republican senators up for reelection to stop publicly disagreeing with the sitting Republican president.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Paracaidas posted:

A few reasons- Primarily that it's your wording and the idea that opposing Lexiteer/KIPper alliance to leave the EU is inherently moderate is absolute horseshit. Another is that your use of the term conflates the overwhelming majority of supporters (including, it would stand to reason, the bulk of those who elevated him to leadership in the first place unless they'd already cut bait by early 2019) with the party staff who actively sabotaged efforts in 2017. Using "moderate" to describe both camps seems to suggest that the 72% of supporters who backed a second referendum would have, like the saboteurs and wreckers, preferred a Tory PM to Corbyn.

It doesn't help that his shambolic Brexit policy was positively Dem-like in ensuring that nobody would feel satisfied with its outcome, beginning with
a three line whip
to threaten anyone who didn't join with May and the Tories to invoke Article 50

For those unfamiliar with three line whips:

Kicking your tenure off by doing all in your power to force to your fellow MPs to join in such :decorum:minded bipartisanship, though, is a good way to defang anyone coming at you from your left by advocating for the positions preferred by the overwhelming majority of the party's supporters.

Eta:

Check the timestamp. I'll fix the OP, it was just the readily available link I had to the story... from last year. Just showing that the GOP's own senators don't see themselves as disciplined, unified, or willing to get into tough fights as the Dems

Ah I see. My bad for not noticing tbh. It wouldn't have remotely surprised me if they planned to call loving Obama officials for Subpeonas in 2022 lol

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
^^all good, there was no reason to expect it to be anything other than a recent story. Poor choice on my part, rectified!

CommieGIR posted:

And its hilarious because all their "Hearings" have done nothing, because there's nothing to find. Its just red meat for their voters. Just like Trump saying he'd jail Hillary.

I love that their political plans are just a bunch of kangaroo hearings.
In fairness, media coverage also tends to treat repeated accusations of misconduct/investigations into misconduct as evidence of misconduct, as we can see in Hillary and, as has been noted across the last few pages, Corbyn.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, but did he pull the trigger? That's what makes a real Republican.
"Ready, aim, what's the third one, there? Let's see...The third one. I can't. Oops."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I don't even know what Tucker's angle is with the extreme anti-vaxx stuff. He is literally just making the country/world worse for no reason. He doesn't personally profit from this and nobody was clamoring for him to make up specific lies about thousands of people dying from the vaccine. Fox required everyone in their New York studio to get vaccinated. Maybe they exempted on-air talent, but Tucker himself is most likely vaccinated.

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/1390128294398504961

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

I don't even know what Tucker's angle is with the extreme anti-vaxx stuff. He is literally just making the country/world worse for no reason. He doesn't personally profit from this and nobody was clamoring for him to make up specific lies about thousands of people dying from the vaccine. Fox required everyone in their New York studio to get vaccinated. Maybe they exempted on-air talent, but Tucker himself is most likely vaccinated.

basically biden and the dems can't have a victory. thats it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Pfizer vaccine is 97% effective against death or debilitating outcomes from the two coronavirus mutant varieties. ~86% effective in preventing infection for fully vaccinated people.

This is the first study to show the vaccine with this incredibly high level of effectiveness against variants. The Moderna, J&J, and AstraZeneca vaccines were all much less effective against the variants, but still in the ~65% range.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/05/05/world/covid-vaccine-coronavirus-cases

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Tucker's angle is that whatever gets people talking about what Tucker just said, that doesn't get him fired, bolsters his brand. This was also the Trump strategy.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

FBS posted:

I'm almost afraid to ask but: who exactly is going to be making up these firing squads?

Republicans

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pfizer vaccine is 97% effective against death or debilitating outcomes from the two coronavirus mutant varieties. ~86% effective in preventing infection for fully vaccinated people.

This is the first study to show the vaccine with this incredibly high level of effectiveness against variants. The Moderna, J&J, and AstraZeneca vaccines were all much less effective against the variants, but still in the ~65% range.

I’m very surprised that it’s that different from Moderna. Where are the moderna stats from?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

zoux posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen, the next governor of the great state of Texas

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1390050525165596678
"No because I will be the one contesting him"

https://twitter.com/HaydenJSparks/status/1390051657170444288

this kind of poo poo's catnip for republicans. dude's absolutely going to push-up his way into the governor's mansion and then be so loving nuts he did what rick perry couldn't and Pete Wilsons Texas into being a blue state

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wondering if I should get a Pfizer on top of the J&J I already got

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

evilweasel posted:

I’m very surprised that it’s that different from Moderna. Where are the moderna stats from?

Moderna stats were from a study in February. There's only been one.

Moderna is working on a booster shot for their vaccine that they say makes it as effective as the Pfizer one in protecting against variants.

quote:

Moderna says its Covid vaccine booster works well against variants

A third dose, given six to eight months after the first round, appeared to be effective against variants first found in Brazil and South Africa.

Moderna's variant-targeting booster shot appears to be protective against the strain of the virus first identified in South Africa, the company announced Wednesday.

Interim data from Moderna's Phase 2 clinical trials indicate that a third dose, tweaked to match the so-called B.1.351 variant, increased levels of antibodies against the virus. The booster was given six to eight months after the participants had been initially vaccinated.

In a statement, Moderna's chief executive officer, Stéphane Bancel, said the results are encouraging and credited the vaccine's mRNA technology with offering speed and precision in keeping up with changing viruses.

"Our mRNA platform allows for rapid design of vaccine candidates that incorporate key virus mutations, potentially allowing for faster development of future alternative variant-matched vaccines should they be needed," Bancel said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/moderna-says-its-covid-vaccine-booster-works-well-against-variants-n1266413

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Data Graham posted:

Wondering if I should get a Pfizer on top of the J&J I already got
You don't want that wreck on your system pal.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Thanks god I got Pfizer 🙏

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's still a secret at this point as to what party McConaughey is running under, right? I know people found some public statements of his that seemed to fit more with the GOP but who knows.

his statement on why he's running is that he wants to "rebind our social contracts as americans" no republican would ever suggest society exists

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

To clarify, the Moderna vaccine is as effective as Pfizer in protecting against the B.1.1.7 (U.K. strain) variant, but less effective against the B.1.351 (South African strain) variant.

Why? I don't know. It does seem weird that they are both mRNA vaccines and they both work on one variant, but one is less effective on the other.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

To clarify, the Moderna vaccine is as effective as Pfizer in protecting against the B.1.1.7 (U.K. strain) variant, but less effective against the B.1.351 (South African strain) variant.

Why? I don't know. It does seem weird that they are both mRNA vaccines and they both work on one variant, but one is less effective on the other.

Do you have a source for this?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

RoastBeef posted:

Do you have a source for this?

From the two links already posted:

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/moderna-says-its-covid-vaccine-booster-works-well-against-variants-n1266413

The Moderna booster shot is specifically targeted at the South African strain.

quote:

Moderna says its Covid vaccine booster works well against variants

A third dose, given six to eight months after the first round, appeared to be effective against variants first found in Brazil and South Africa.

Moderna's variant-targeting booster shot appears to be protective against the strain of the virus first identified in South Africa, the company announced Wednesday.

Interim data from Moderna's Phase 2 clinical trials indicate that a third dose, tweaked to match the so-called B.1.351 variant, increased levels of antibodies against the virus. The booster was given six to eight months after the participants had been initially vaccinated.

In a statement, Moderna's chief executive officer, Stéphane Bancel, said the results are encouraging and credited the vaccine's mRNA technology with offering speed and precision in keeping up with changing viruses.

"Our mRNA platform allows for rapid design of vaccine candidates that incorporate key virus mutations, potentially allowing for faster development of future alternative variant-matched vaccines should they be needed," Bancel said.

There is also a new variant in New York City (B.1.526), but they haven't done much study on vaccine effectiveness for this specific variant (one study so far that just tested the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines and found both were as effective as they were against the normal strain). However, it appears to not be more infectious or dangerous than the normal strain.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/05/05/world/covid-vaccine-coronavirus-cases#new-york-city-virus-variant-covid

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 6, 2021

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Doesn't it depend on the proteins they targeted?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

His new schtick seems to be inflicting chaos and mayhem and kill as many people as possible. Dude has gone full supervillain for the past few weeks honestly.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

From the two links already posted:

The Moderna booster shot is specifically targeted at the South African strain.

There is also a new variant in New York City (B.1.526), but they haven't done much study on vaccine effectiveness for this specific variant. However, it appears to not be more infectious or dangerous than the normal strain.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/05/05/world/covid-vaccine-coronavirus-cases#new-york-city-virus-variant-covid

Neither of those articles say that the Moderna vaccine is less effective than the Pfizer one? The first article is reporting on two studies comparing Pfizer-vaccinated and totally unvaccinated populations, and the other doesn't actually say anything at all - the people who got the booster might have better outcomes, but until there are numbers attached we don't know if it's 0%->100% or 95%->96%.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TulliusCicero posted:

His new schtick seems to be inflicting chaos and mayhem and kill as many people as possible. Dude has gone full supervillain for the past few weeks honestly.

Maybe there is some horrible skeleton in his closet that he desperately doesn't want to get out and figures if he can help plunge the country back into chaos he'll be fine.

Or maybe he just finally snapped, who can say.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Only a small amount of Americans use the AstraZeneca vaccine, but a study in February found that it was effective at preventing very serious cases of the South African strain, but not mild or moderate effects or general infection.

I don't see any more recent studies on the AZ vaccine.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/07/world/africa/covid-vaccine-astrazeneca-south-africa.html

The tl;dr version is that the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines are both very effective overall and moderately more effective than the AZ or J&J vaccines (but the J&J and AZ vaccines will still prevent death or serious illness ~95% of the time. They're just worse at mild and moderate illness).

The downside is that it is entirely possible for a new variant to form at some point that none of the current vaccines are effective against. For now, all of them will prevent the most serious illnesses or death the vast majority of the time.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Paracaidas posted:

A few reasons- Primarily that it's your wording and the idea that opposing Lexiteer/KIPper alliance to leave the EU is inherently moderate is absolute horseshit. Another is that your use of the term conflates the overwhelming majority of supporters (including, it would stand to reason, the bulk of those who elevated him to leadership in the first place unless they'd already cut bait by early 2019) with the party staff who actively sabotaged efforts in 2017. Using "moderate" to describe both camps seems to suggest that the 72% of supporters who backed a second referendum would have, like the saboteurs and wreckers, preferred a Tory PM to Corbyn.

It doesn't help that his shambolic Brexit policy was positively Dem-like in ensuring that nobody would feel satisfied with its outcome, beginning with
a three line whip
to threaten anyone who didn't join with May and the Tories to invoke Article 50

For those unfamiliar with three line whips:

Kicking your tenure off by doing all in your power to force to your fellow MPs to join in such :decorum:minded bipartisanship, though, is a good way to defang anyone coming at you from your left by advocating for the positions preferred by the overwhelming majority of the party's supporters.

Eta:

Check the timestamp. I'll fix the OP, it was just the readily available link I had to the story... from last year. Just showing that the GOP's own senators don't see themselves as disciplined, unified, or willing to get into tough fights as the Dems

The EU is a neoliberal trade union, so many leftists were very much in favor of leaving it for a customs union. Corbyn was one of these leftists. I don't know how common this particular solution was among the left, though. Moderates easily make up the overwhelming majority of the Labour party, so me conflating them with second referendum supporters is not a crazy idea given the numbers you provided. For example: when Starmer took charge, around 10% of Labour members left the party. Now, it is possible some leftists stayed, and it is possible some of the 18% that opposed a second referendum were moderates, but it isn't exactly horseshit to say a second referendum was largely a moderate idea. You're correct on my takes concerning the rest, though. Although I think it isn't quite 72% that would've preferred a Tory MP to a marxist.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

He's basically a less hairy and sweaty version of TheQuartering at this point. I expect him to start dedicating segments to teaching people how to stalk cosplayers and screaming about how much he hates Brie Larson at the rate he's going.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
For anyone wondering if the Arizona "election audit" was going to get stupider, worry no longer!

The Arizona GOP is now testing the ballots for bamboo, since that obviously means the ballots had to come from China, and therefore the 2020 election was rigged.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/05/arizona-republican-audit-bamboo-ballots-china.html

I think their racist conspiracies may be wrong, since geography indicates that they need to test for plantains and beans, since obviously the fake AZ ballots came from Zombie Hugo Chavez, and not China.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

nine-gear crow posted:

He's basically a less hairy and sweaty version of TheQuartering at this point. I expect him to start dedicating segments to teaching people how to stalk cosplayers and screaming about how much he hates Brie Larson at the rate he's going.

Tucker is a horrible person and is going to do what he is going to do. Murdoch's son who claims he wants to make Fox News into a more professional journalism outlet that just has conservative commentary and the other executives there who would never say or endorse the things Tucker says in public are probably more ethically bankrupt than Tucker at this point.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

This is literally Info Wars poo poo. He’s not as explicit about it, but Alex has been pushing this exact poo poo for months now.
He needs to be deplatformed. Like, yesterday.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1390114275621056512

The people's party.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

azflyboy posted:

For anyone wondering if the Arizona "election audit" was going to get stupider, worry no longer!

The Arizona GOP is now testing the ballots for bamboo, since that obviously means the ballots had to come from China, and therefore the 2020 election was rigged.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/05/arizona-republican-audit-bamboo-ballots-china.html

I think their racist conspiracies may be wrong, since geography indicates that they need to test for plantains and beans, since obviously the fake AZ ballots came from Zombie Hugo Chavez, and not China.

Hahahaha wow! This is Florida-tier hilarious racist stupidity. The perfidious Chinese tainted Biden bamboo ballots.

I feel like these people would honestly be a lot better off and happier without all this technology. It just confuses them. Maybe they should go back to milking cows

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is absolutely the perfect encapsulation of Jenner as a person in one quote

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

This is literally Info Wars poo poo. He’s not as explicit about it, but Alex has been pushing this exact poo poo for months now.
He needs to be deplatformed. Like, yesterday.

What he needs done to him is something far harsher than deplatforming. But yes, among other things this loving Nazi needs to be off TV.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Department of Defense is conducting a review of... how the military should handle UFO sightings going forward.

quote:

The Department of Defense’s (DOD) Office of Inspector General said in a memo Monday that it will conduct evaluation into the “extent to which the DoD has taken actions regarding Unidentified Aerial Phenomena.”

It added “we may revise the objective as the evaluation proceeds, and we will consider suggestions from management for additional or revised objectives.”

“The mission of the task force is to detect, analyze and catalog UAPs that could potentially pose a threat to U.S. national security,” the agency said.

The Pentagon is expected to send a report to Congress regarding UFOs on June 1.

Apparently, they are going to release any reported UFO footage faster. They released a bunch of UFO footage from 2012 - 2018 last year and one of the incidents was confirmed to be a drone, but two more are still unidentified (probably also drones, though).

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/551986-pentagon-watchdog-investigating-military-handling-of-ufo-sightings
https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/05/04/pentagons-watchdog-investigate-militarys-response-ufos.html

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s always drones

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jenner and Cox's strategy of making the recall 100% a referendum on COVID measures, lockdowns, and hypocrisy has a big chance to backfire if we get into November and the lockdowns are lifted, most people are vaccinated, and the economy is opened back up.

It seems very likely that there will be some degree of normalcy in 7 months, so I wonder if they have a backup plan.

Gaupo Guacho
Aug 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
Has there been any attempts to address the fact that man of the perpetrators of recent anti-Asian violence have been ethnic minorities themselves? I do not see it mentioned anywhere, particularly in liberal and leftist spaces. I was even probated in an earlier version of this thread for even suggesting it. Many of the attacks against Asian-Americans committed in the last seven days were committed by demonstrably non-white assailants. I don't have an agenda I'm attempting to push here other than the fact that this feels like a form of outright "erasure" as people often put it.

I am particularly frustrated by online discourse which seems fixated on the idea that this is attributable to Trump, and, or white supremacy. White supremacist violence is quite deadly and is of a more institutionalized form but none of that addresses the fact that all of the discourse I've seen around the internet is totally inadequate when it comes to addressing anti-Asian violence in the U.S.

This is all to say nothing of the fact that the idea that all racist violence is inherently rooted in white supremacy is ridiculous and can only be rooted in historical ignorance, yet I see this asserted again and again. I often see it suggested that racism and violence between distinct "non-white" ethnic groups in the U.S. can only be explained through the prism of white supremacy, as if non-whites are inherently incapable of racism against one another without it being inculcated by white supremacist ideology. I myself am of Asian-origin and I am beyond frustrated with the total disinterest in addressing this notion. Also I fully expect to be pilloried and probated for even raising this notion. Be well, stay safe.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Arizona audit is only 9% done and they have to clear out by May 14th because the auditorium is booked for high school graduation ceremonies.

They might not finish and the volunteers are getting bored, so over half the audit stations are unmanned. It's hilarious that this is so comically inept, but terrifying that this group of people holds one of the two political parties in their grasp.

https://twitter.com/nickmartin/status/1390054275624046594

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Stop the steal!

*gets boxes and boxes and boxes of votes*

wait how long will this take??

jfc regressives are so loving lazy, dont want to do any of the boring work even when destroying democracy.