Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

btrfs is the default filesystem on Fedora 33, at least for Desktop.

any other new install would, by definition, be a special snowflake

EDIT: beaten

Rufus Ping posted:

Btrfs is default as of fedora 33 and there is nothing weird about my setup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
lmbo @ linux right now

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
lol btrfs is default on 33? lmao.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
still havin' zero problems on ubuntu

in fact after an in-place upgrayedd to 20.04 everything works even better, especially multi-monitor stuff (near-instant connection of external displays even on the display manager's login screen thing)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah when I messed with Ubuntu recently after not touching a Linux in a long time it worked surprisingly well. they even let me put the dock on the bottom instead of the side like the forced people to do for a while I think

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

fedora is good and I will not see libel against it

put silverblue on the machine and try again

only in purity will you find peace

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
ubuntu if I have to use a linux. openbsd if I have to use something unix that isn’t necessarily linux. windows if I have to use graphical anything.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Used a live usb to restore a backup of / (learned in the process of doing this that rsync doesn't have an equivalent of cp --reflink for btrfs cow)

But I didn't have a backup of /boot so then the new kernel (the upgrade must have got this far before loving up) didn't match the restored modules in /lib

Chrooted into it and reinstalled the right kernel with dnf

Edit: i think dracut copied the cmdline of the running (live usb) kernel into my grub config here cos I had to fix it up by hand lol

At this point it boots properly with selinux disabled but needs relabelling

Restorecon fails due to no space on root device :allears:

Rufus Ping fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 6, 2021

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Insanite posted:

fedora is good and I will not see libel against it

put silverblue on the machine and try again

only in purity will you find peace

hmm reacts to real user problems as if they were malicious lies. asserts that doubling down is the path to salvation. bazinga spotted

the only tolerable distros are debian and ubuntu. debian if you're a linux nerd and ubuntu otherwise. centos used to be a decent rpm option but lol. just lol. i hope everyone running centos is enjoying their migration and/or license agreement with IBM

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Rufus Ping posted:

Used a live usb to restore a backup of / (learned in the process of doing this that rsync doesn't have an equivalent of cp --reflink for btrfs cow)

restored backup with rsync? not btrfs subvolume delete whatever, then btrfs subvolume snapshot, to make writable copies at the same location as before?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Yeah that would have made more sense. I'll bear it in mind next time I try to upgrade and it all fucks up again

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
next month in linux thread...

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
housesitting for my parents and i spent an hour trying to get wpa_supplicant and dhclient to cooperate and connect to the loving wifi. i dont know why it wasnt working cuz i can connect wwith the same method at my house and my sisters house without issue. i managed to connect to my phone tether long enough to get some kind of gui application, in this case nm-tray, and that worked and now im on my parents wifi network. thanks for reading my story

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
drat i love linux

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Rufus Ping posted:

Left my laptop upgrading to fedora 34 overnight and today I found it stuck on a black screen. I rebooted and now dozens of services are falling to start. Another successful day linuxing

Fortunately ive got daily btrfs backups so we'll see if they actually work or not lol

i was gonna upgrade my poo poo from fc32 to fc34 cos fc32 is gonna be out of support soon. now i am scared. gently caress u linux

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I did 32 to 33 no problem fwiw

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Rufus Ping posted:

But I didn't have a backup of /boot so then the new kernel (the upgrade must have got this far before loving up) didn't match the restored modules in /lib

Chrooted into it and reinstalled the right kernel with dnf

Edit: i think dracut copied the cmdline of the running (live usb) kernel into my grub config here cos I had to fix it up by hand lol

At this point it boots properly with selinux disabled but needs relabelling

Restorecon fails due to no space on root device :allears:

it sounds like you ran out of space when upgrading.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Gentle Autist posted:

i was gonna upgrade my poo poo from fc32 to fc34 cos fc32 is gonna be out of support soon. now i am scared. gently caress u linux

upgrade to buster

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Nomnom Cookie posted:

upgrade to buster

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Could well be this

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

I have never in my life upgraded a Linux, because I always get bored with my current distro and install a different one before it would be time to upgrade. at this point I can install a Linux and get my dotfiles set up in under an hour. that’s probably faster than upgrading anyway

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I think I've strung together a dozen fedora updates on my home server and about four silverblue updates on my laptop at this point

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've never had any real issues with Fedora. I think most of the problems come from them releasing a new version every 6 months, which means that you could gently caress your install up twice a year.

Whereas with Ubuntu most people run LTS and upgrade once every 2 years. Or in the case of Debian you upgrade when saturn is retrograde and the sixth son has ascended the throne of Mordecai.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Nomnom Cookie posted:

upgrade to buster

i just moved from debian to fedora like 6 months ago or something tho

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

DoomTrainPhD posted:

nix os would not have this issue because it isn't designed like it's 1977 and we need to perform upgrades in-place

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Nomnom Cookie posted:

hmm reacts to real user problems as if they were malicious lies. asserts that doubling down is the path to salvation. bazinga spotted

the only tolerable distros are debian and ubuntu. debian if you're a linux nerd and ubuntu otherwise. centos used to be a decent rpm option but lol. just lol. i hope everyone running centos is enjoying their migration and/or license agreement with IBM

please accept fedora into your life

Sapozhnik posted:

I think I've strung together a dozen fedora updates on my home server and about four silverblue updates on my laptop at this point

hell yeah

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

spankmeister posted:

I've never had any real issues with Fedora.

and i don't wear seatbelts and remain just as alive as the rest of you idiots :smug:

yeah, i think it mostly works, but pretty hosed up if it can break your install into a close to unrecoverable state if an update runs out of storage space.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Athas posted:

nix os would not have this issue because it isn't designed like it's 1977 and we need to perform upgrades in-place

My NixOS install constantly runs out of space during upgrades because it stores a kernel in the boot partition for each generation

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
it is hosed up which is why you should use silverblue which does not have this problem.

also linux people are becoming very fast at reverse-engineering new gpu architectures

https://rosenzweig.io/blog/asahi-gpu-part-1.html
https://rosenzweig.io/blog/asahi-gpu-part-2.html
https://rosenzweig.io/blog/asahi-gpu-part-3.html
https://rosenzweig.io/blog/asahi-gpu-part-4.html

well, "linux people" mostly being "alyssa rosenzweig" although mesa's increasingly comprehensive common infrastructure helps a lot here.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I will probably switch over to silverblue when all of my apps available as flatpaks or they come up with a better way to update system style apps containerized in toolboxes that doesn't involve you manually going into each and every toolbox one by one and updating them using the CLI.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

it is hosed up which is why you should use silverblue which does not have this problem.

also linux people are becoming very fast at reverse-engineering new gpu architectures

well, "linux people" mostly being "alyssa rosenzweig" although mesa's increasingly comprehensive common infrastructure helps a lot here.

ah, that is real neat. i guess in general the linux on m1 project may be a bit easier than i first thought, as it is unlikely to be quite so wart-ridden as some ye olde arm socs.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

they're still at a relatively high level though. it's one thing to assemble your own shaders and command buffers and send them to the driver. writing your own kernel driver that handles all the minutiae of the hardware (power, clocks, queue management, etc...) with zero documentation is an entirely different beast. i dunno how complicated apple's hardware is, but when new amd hardware is added to the kernel driver, the headers with the register definitions alone are thousands of lines and their published documentation is hundreds of pages

they got lucky when doing the ps4 linux thing because the gpu was basically standard amd hardware, and they managed to find some documentation on it that was accidentally left exposed to the public internet at some point

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 6, 2021

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Gentle Autist posted:

i just moved from debian to fedora like 6 months ago or something tho

and now you are learning why that was a mistake

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Nomnom Cookie posted:

upgrade to buster

buster makes me feel good

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
is there a distro which updates everyday or hour that people use?

basically like a distro for the most extreme Linux junkies who have got to have the freshest purest rawest code imaginable?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Arch, Gentoo, NixOS

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Gentoo has become somewhat conservative nowadays. KDE Plasma is usually one version behind upstream, the kernel follows LTS releases, gcc at 10.2, llvm at 11.1, and so on.

Unless of course you want to have a painful experience and enable testing, then it's like Debian unstable.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

xtal posted:

My NixOS install constantly runs out of space during upgrades because it stores a kernel in the boot partition for each generation

Yeah, but the switchover is atomic, so I it won't leave the system unbootable (actually I'm not completely sure how the bootloader stuff works, so maybe not).

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Antigravitas posted:

Gentoo has become somewhat conservative nowadays. KDE Plasma is usually one version behind upstream, the kernel follows LTS releases, gcc at 10.2, llvm at 11.1, and so on.

Unless of course you want to have a painful experience and enable testing, then it's like Debian unstable.

gentoo, the button down distro that's learned from its mistakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
gentoo seems like it would be a pain to use