Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
can you elevate duchy title to kingdom titles? somehow a kingdom of prussia appeared in my game and its de jure lands are bisecting the de jure kingdom of lithuania

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

That's what comes out when the AI takes the Form New Kingdom decision I think. I once had a green Kingdom of Staffordshire that I think was actually landlocked, completely surrounded by de jure England.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

can you elevate duchy title to kingdom titles? somehow a kingdom of prussia appeared in my game and its de jure lands are bisecting the de jure kingdom of lithuania

PittTheElder posted:

That's what comes out when the AI takes the Form New Kingdom decision I think. I once had a green Kingdom of Staffordshire that I think was actually landlocked, completely surrounded by de jure England.

So that's how I had a Kingdom of Greater Poland pop up in my last game that bisected Pomerania and was right next to the actual Kingdom of Poland.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Magil Zeal posted:

So that's how I had a Kingdom of Greater Poland pop up in my last game that bisected Pomerania and was right next to the actual Kingdom of Poland.

It's very annoying when they lose the duchy they named after, because the new kingdom will not only be next to the duchy with the same name and crest (minus the crown on top), but they will be exactly the same color.

How. How. How has Paradox still not implemented either an option to recolor states, or made it so they're a random color, or made it so it picks a color not used by any neighboring country?!?!

I want this more than any expansion or additional content.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Veryslightlymad posted:

It's very annoying when they lose the duchy they named after, because the new kingdom will not only be next to the duchy with the same name and crest (minus the crown on top), but they will be exactly the same color.

How. How. How has Paradox still not implemented either an option to recolor states, or made it so they're a random color, or made it so it picks a color not used by any neighboring country?!?!

I want this more than any expansion or additional content.

Seems like a great candidate for its own DLC :v:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Magil Zeal posted:

I hereby christen my new kingdom Good Poland

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

How are u posted:

Seems like a great candidate for its own DLC :v:

I know you're largely joking, but if it's programming intensive enough that they'd need to charge for it, I will gladly windmill slam the buy button.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Veryslightlymad posted:

I know you're largely joking, but if it's programming intensive enough that they'd need to charge for it, I will gladly windmill slam the buy button.

'Customize this bitmap' is not really a complex feature.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Serephina posted:

'Customize this bitmap' is not really a complex feature.

My understanding is changing the color is really easy to mod (essentially, find the title on the titles list and change the RGB value to whatever) but bizarrely hard to make an in-game mod for.

Because I would have to assume it would have been done.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
trying to decide if i should pick this up or try out CK2 since it’s free. I guess ideally I could try CK3, then using the knowledge gained from its tool tips, try CK2... or just keep a wiki open?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

star eater posted:

trying to decide if i should pick this up or try out CK2 since it’s free. I guess ideally I could try CK3, then using the knowledge gained from its tool tips, try CK2... or just keep a wiki open?

CK3 is much, much more user friendly. CK2 has more content and is an excellent game but it also has.......... Way more content. It got old and fat, and it's hard to jump into.

I'm confident CK3 can be picked up by just about anyone. It's daunting but its tooltips are nested and everywhere, so generally the game answers most questions you might have.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

star eater posted:

CK3 has some improvements over CK2, for sure, and there is something to be said for it maybe being easier to learn because it has less content than CK2. So it is really hard to strongly recommend one over the other...

Other than, for me—granted I put over 10k hours into CK2–CK2s breadth of content means it’s the more enjoyable game at the moment.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Veryslightlymad posted:

CK3 is much, much more user friendly. CK2 has more content and is an excellent game but it also has.......... Way more content. It got old and fat, and it's hard to jump into.

I'm confident CK3 can be picked up by just about anyone. It's daunting but its tooltips are nested and everywhere, so generally the game answers most questions you might have.

ZombieLenin posted:

CK3 has some improvements over CK2, for sure, and there is something to be said for it maybe being easier to learn because it has less content than CK2. So it is really hard to strongly recommend one over the other...

Other than, for me—granted I put over 10k hours into CK2–CK2s breadth of content means it’s the more enjoyable game at the moment.

That was the thing I was reading, the absolutely bonkers playtime people have put into CK2 makes it seem, hyper appealing to me. But I am worried it'll be ultra obtuse to me. But I mean, I am used to playing old MMOs that require lots of wiki reading so I guess it isn't too much....

I'll just renew my xbox game pass and check out CK3 to get my feet wet.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Are any of the total conversion mods playable/fun yet? The Bronze Age, Shogunate and Godherja mods all look interesting but I'm wondering if they worth playing at this point.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Veryslightlymad posted:

CK3 is also on Game Pass pc, which you can try for a $1 for the first month.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

PittTheElder posted:

That one, I think, actually comes from a victorious...populist?...revolt. (Form New Kingdom creates titles based on duchies and Staffordshire is a county).

Veryslightlymad posted:

This was annoying enough that I literally made and published a mod to prevent it (though I didn't block Lesser Poland and Greater Poland because they weren't the same name, maybe I should?)

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Dallan Invictus posted:

This was annoying enough that I literally made and published a mod to prevent it (though I didn't block Lesser Poland and Greater Poland because they weren't the same name, maybe I should?)

Nah, that's like North and South Dakota - not nearly as much a problem as the one in your screenshot. I'm intrigued by being able to keep my duchy coat of arms and color for my custom kingdom, though, that would be really convenient (until I became an empire and everything became terrible again I guess).

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

adhuin posted:

CK3 is also on Game Pass pc, which you can try for a $1 for the first month.
The first hit's free. That's how they get ya.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

ZombieLenin posted:

10k hours. There are jokes about 1000s of hours across several paradox titles and then there is 10k hours in just CK2.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
people finish careers with less time spent, absolute lol

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I have to wonder how much of that (if any) is spent spectating games between the AI though, mind you. Since I've got a (perhaps slightly weird) friend who's spent a couple thousand hours in EU4 and CK2 - except probably only a dozen hours were actually spent playing the game. The rest was simply spectating to see what happens (as in, leaving the game running for hours while at work/sleeping or playing something else, then periodically checking the state of the world)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Knuc U Kinte posted:

10k hours. There are jokes about 1000s of hours across several paradox titles and then there is 10k hours in just CK2.

Still, he's no Florry

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198079929951/recommended/236850

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Well, some people play a lot of different games while others play a lot of the same game, CK2 came out in 2012 and at a hunch racking up 10k gameplay hours over almost a decade is probably not rare for someone with gaming as a primary hobby. It just normally doesn't get tracked hour by hour under the same timer if it's spread out amongst games and platforms.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there are 8760 hours in a calendar year. so for comparison a person who lives to a ripe old age will sleep 220000 hours in life toto

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Kanfy posted:

Well, some people play a lot of different games while others play a lot of the same game, CK2 came out in 2012 and at a hunch racking up 10k gameplay hours over almost a decade is probably not rare for someone with gaming as a primary hobby. It just normally doesn't get tracked hour by hour under the same timer if it's spread out amongst games and platforms.

10,000 hours of one video game is insane. The FBI should hunt you down if you do that.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Kanfy posted:

That's about 3 hours per day, 365 days a year and 9 years.

That's way too much gaming, even if it wasn't just one game.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

adhuin posted:

That's about 3 hours per day, 365 days a year and 9 years.

That's way too much gaming, even if it wasn't just one game.

Hey, a lot of people would kill to have that kinda spare time to do something they enjoy. But whatever, I just find it pretty unnecessary to pile on some internet stranger about how they spend their personal time unprompted like this, in the end we're all just trying to get by here the best we can.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think having 10k hours in a single game is sick. I’d kill to squeeze that much enjoyment outta a single game.

3 hours a day isn’t ridiculous!! Why is working 40 hours a week to make some prick money ok but spending 3 hours doing something enjoyable outrageous?

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

star eater posted:

I think having 10k hours in a single game is sick. I’d kill to squeeze that much enjoyment outta a single game.

3 hours a day isn’t ridiculous!! Why is working 40 hours a week to make some prick money ok but spending 3 hours doing something enjoyable outrageous?

Because our brains have been poisoned

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

star eater posted:

During the time portrayed in Crusader Kings, serfs would work only a few hours a day. Nowadays we can barely even squeeze in that much time to play Serf Boss Simulator.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I mean they didn't have electric lighting so they only could work a few hours most days before it got too dark to see.

Also they had like a hundred holidays per year what with all the saints days and what not

I'll bet you some serf had 10k hours of backgammon under his belt.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 7, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

FreudianSlippers posted:

I mean they didn't have electric lighting so they only could work a few hours most days before it got too dark to see.

Also they had like a hundred holidays per year what with all the saints days and what not

I'll bet you some serf had 10k hours of backgammon under his belt.

basic problem is that malnutrition gives you organic brain damage

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

star eater posted:

Yeah having the free time and something you enjoy that much that you’d want to spend it that way is something people should strive for in life.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

In my current run I've seen one-province counts successfully defeat both the AI-formed Empire of Francia and, in one instance, an aggressively expansionist Pope.

So I think that there are means, it's just all down to the timing, and the Byzantine's tend to have a bit less opportunity to ambush while their pants are down.

It's one of the things I think CKII does better. I'm sure there were more civil wars and seperatists in that game, though I tended to play CKII+ so that might be skewing my vision.

I ended up downloading the Muslim Enhancements mod which started off well in that the Seljuks managed to take Anatolia in its entirety, but they rather quickly fell apart and the Byzantine Empire is now stronger than they started off at in 1066 and are in the process of taking over Jerusalem and Hungary. It was only one game though.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

In CK2 the Byzantines don't tend to break apart, they just exist in a constant state of civil war for the game's entire runtime

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
It takes balls to challenge the Byzantines in CK2.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
I think its stilling debt is erased by a new dynasty taking over. If the Title Holder has massive debt it should be inherited at least partially.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I just looked and I am totally wrong. I only have 3,558.7 hours in CK2; I honestly knew I was exaggerating, but thought it was closer to 7k hours.

It only gets there when you add in EUIV and Viky 2. :confuoot:

And to be fair, I think this is true of a lot of people with these sorts of hours in Paradox games, but there were long periods where CK2, EUIV, or Vicky were the only games I played.

I would actually play them for about 20 to 25 hours a week; however, I was collecting 168 hours in the same time on steam.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 8, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Chatrapati posted:

It's one of the things I think CKII does better. I'm sure there were more civil wars and seperatists in that game, though I tended to play CKII+ so that might be skewing my vision.

I ended up downloading the Muslim Enhancements mod which started off well in that the Seljuks managed to take Anatolia in its entirety, but they rather quickly fell apart and the Byzantine Empire is now stronger than they started off at in 1066 and are in the process of taking over Jerusalem and Hungary. It was only one game though.

Interesting, I was just looking at that one, but didn't want to try too many changes at once. Still though, Rum falling apart and Rome reasserting itself was not exactly a particularly unlikely thing. Even in our timeline they were making good progress on that front up until a bug called a Crusade to target a Christian power.

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I think its stilling debt is erased by a new dynasty taking over. If the Title Holder has massive debt it should be inherited at least partially.

I think it does actually. I've seen child rulers who were in very debt less than a year after coming to the throne, and Temujin's successor kept a lot of it in my Rum game (I had to send them like 1000 gold to keep the chaos going)

Tribal conquest should really be more profitable for the Mongols (or maybe they should get a -90% army cost discount or something). Tribals just can't find a snowball like they need to be able to.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Interesting, I was just looking at that one, but didn't want to try too many changes at once. Still though, Rum falling apart and Rome reasserting itself was not exactly a particularly unlikely thing. Even in our timeline they were making good progress on that front up until a bug called a Crusade to target a Christian power.

I didn't know that actually. In my mind the Byzantine Empire was just a collection of bickering strongmen, which is why they fell. I should probably read up some simple history. I've never played in that particular region in either game. I still don't like the way they eat their way through the world though.