Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
It was less than two years ago that the us assassinated an iranian general on official iranian business so really, what is an act of war anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

false alarm guys, i shouldn’t have posted that

i just remembered that jersey isn’t actually apart of the U.K. i should have posted that in the crown dependencies thread

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MQ-SC9bmp4

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

US democrats don't poo poo on the left as much as UK labour, but they still poo poo on the left a lot. that's a super low bar.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

US democrats don't poo poo on the left as much as UK labour, but they still poo poo on the left a lot. that's a super low bar.

We might hit that level after 2022 if the Dems get washed as badly as Labour is going to be.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

both UK and France have nukes and macron is just as evil as boris. it wont be enough to cause a nuclear winter probably. go for it yall

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Nucleic Acids posted:

We might hit that level after 2022 if the Dems get washed as badly as Labour is going to be.

if a Bernie-like figure seemed like he was going to take control of the party then maybe yeah, but they just sleepwalked big finance’s favorite dem through a primary, they’re not scared of the left

waves tend to wipe out conservative members in swing districts, too. the reddest wave in the universe isn’t going to knock out ilhan omar but it’ll certainly take out Stephanie Murphy and Abigail Spanberger

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

More like 10cm dilated at present.

Wait until Scotland fully bails. Can someone well versed in UKPol explain how Labour forms a government with no seats from Scotland?

I know already that “they can’t” is the short form of the response.

The Democrats needed a Joe Biden to return to power: old and trustworthy, has the common touch with regular people, very experienced in policy and international affairs, associated with the last successful Democratic government, looks square and boring but can implement liberal policies. Has the trust of right, center, and left Democrats at the moment. Chose a partner who represents the future of the party.

Who is the Labour Joe Biden? The Labour Kamala Harris?
The Democrats needed Trump, but the UK Trump has a major advantage compared to his American brother: He's establishment as gently caress, so everyone has to respect him.

THS posted:

both UK and France have nukes and macron is just as evil as boris. it wont be enough to cause a nuclear winter probably. go for it yall
Nuclear winter is fake, a concept fudged into being by scientists trying to make nuclear war seem worse.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

mass drone battles are the future and infantry just become cops.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The next season of Robot Wars is going to be FAR more spectacular and entertaining.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Honestly, the really baffling thing about the current Labour leadership is how they've actively and deliberately alienated their existing left-wing base, while completely failing to pick up new support from any other sector of the electorate. I keep watching their antics and asking myself: "where do they think they're going with this??"

It's so directionless that I can only assume that they're fighting like rats in a sack and Starmer's getting passively dragged one way, then the other and nothing's getting done.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The Democrats needed Trump, but the UK Trump has a major advantage compared to his American brother: He's establishment as gently caress, so everyone has to respect him.

Nuclear winter is fake, a concept fudged into being by scientists trying to make nuclear war seem worse.

Nuclear winter; the cure for global warming! Thanks Boris!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pistol_Pete posted:

Honestly, the really baffling thing about the current Labour leadership is how they've actively and deliberately alienated their existing left-wing base, while completely failing to pick up new support from any other sector of the electorate. I keep watching their antics and asking myself: "where do they think they're going with this??"

It's so directionless that I can only assume that they're fighting like rats in a sack and Starmer's getting passively dragged one way, then the other and nothing's getting done.

the only rational explanation is that starmer & co are plants who are actively trying to destroy labour since it proved itself unreliable to the capitalist class by electing corbyn as leader

now i'm not ruling out irrational explanations for their behaviour, but it's still kinda funny to think about

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
they want to be the respected honourable opposition. that's it. that was they can be shadow whatevers and the media and government will pay attention to them but never actually do anything they call for, they'll still get invited to parties.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I think they just genuinely think there's a large mass of voters who want to vote for Kiers lovely authoritarian centrism and they keep being surprised when there isnt

TBf its a little like the corbynists strategy of just assuming people are secretly thirsty for left policies despite everything else

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Communist Thoughts posted:

I think they just genuinely think there's a large mass of voters who want to vote for Kiers lovely authoritarian centrism and they keep being surprised when there isnt

TBf its a little like the corbynists strategy of just assuming people are secretly thirsty for left policies despite everything else

why are you like this

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Polling constantly says that people want more investment in services and less private ownership of them as well as reduction of inequality and action taken against large corporations and climate change. Unsurprisingly though political formations which offer those things are immediately infiltrated, sabotaged and villainised.

No one outside of the intelligentsia sit around thinking that the best way to help people is huge systems of government regulation overseeing private businesses and giving them wads of cash.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

why are you like this
OD’ed on Trotskyism.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the core policy programme of corbynism consistently polled pretty well (i haven't kept up with polling since 2019 liberated me from caring), the problems with corbynism were that a) they were unprepared to face the sheer amount of nonsense that they faced and b) they were basing their electoral strategy off uniting groups with fairly strongly divergent interests and those divergences ended up dominating the 2019 election in the form of brexit

2017 - by which i mean the absurd turnaround from the polling earlier that year to a very close election result - would not have happened had there not been a serious appetite for the base policy thrusts among a mass of british voters

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Lots of leftist policies are very popular, even in the usa.

For some reason centrist parties don't seem to be that interested.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

left-wing policies are often very popular, but left-wing parties and politicians are consistently not. it's an interesting situation and one which drives a lot of lefties completely insane everywhere

re: what keith et al are up to, i suspect that they genuinely thought that they could replace the lost funding from an enthused mass membership with more reliable and manageable business funding. i am also a bit surprised that this does not seem to have materialised; it seems business is largely happy with the johnson government.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

left-wing policies are often very popular, but left-wing parties and politicians are consistently not. it's an interesting situation and one which drives a lot of lefties completely insane everywhere

re: what keith et al are up to, i suspect that they genuinely thought that they could replace the lost funding from an enthused mass membership with more reliable and manageable business funding. i am also a bit surprised that this does not seem to have materialised; it seems business is largely happy with the johnson government.
Labour has proven itself too incompetent to spend money on. Need to prove they take the threat of leftist infiltrators seriously, and have taken permanent steps to prevent another takeover.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

"our policies are popular we just can't get people to vote for us because reasons" is pretty much the thinking I was referring to

I just think it's worth facing to bloodshed and honking and pointing at our own failures as much as those of our foes

That way you can find humour in the incompetence of your own side as well as everyone else, so double the fun

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

"our policies are popular we just can't get people to vote for us because reasons" is pretty much the thinking I was referring to

I just think it's worth facing to bloodshed and honking and pointing at our own failures as much as those of our foes

That way you can find humour in the incompetence of your own side as well as everyone else, so double the fun
You’re implying they’re playing on an equal playing field.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Well, putting my Big Business Mogul hat on for a minute: why would I want to donate anything to Labour right now? They're firmly out of power, there's no election for years, the current leadership is weak and directionless and the Tories are proving themselves all too happy to quietly make beneficial arrangements in return for having cash bunged at them.

The last point is the most important one, I think. Why give money to the party that's out of power in the hope of possible future benefits when you can get an immediate result from giving money to the party who's running the country now, and who've shown themselves to be cheerfully and shamelessly corrupt?

Sucks for Starmer of course, but just emphasises how dumb it was to gently caress his profitable small donors off when it was blindingly obvious there'd be no cash coming in from the big guys.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Pretty cool that we're less than half a year into brexit and the phrase "act of war" is already being used.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You’re implying they’re playing on an equal playing field.

no not really

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I'm quite fond of a recent comment in the guardian which railed against the "pork barrel" politics of the tories, which you know, is technically improving the material conditions of their voters

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Promising you'll do stuff to help people is cheating :colbert:

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

it dont matter posted:

Pretty cool that we're less than half a year into brexit and the phrase "act of war" is already being used.

Was not expecting the second Norman conquest but it's been that kind of year

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Labour are bereft of ideas and talent, the ship has well and truly sunk, and what's left is flotsam with a petty officer clinging on, pretending he's in charge. They don't know who they represent or who to represent. The workers of yesteryear long abandoned them, and the New Labour supporters have left them because they're now fat rich boomers, who vote Conservative to keep their money and stability at the expense of all others. They don't want to represent upcoming voters - millennials, gen-z - because that would require effort, organisation and ideas, and gosh-darn young people don't vote, even though millennials are in their 30's or early 40's. They don't want to represent the working class because they smell and have no money. They want the right wing vote, which is dumb because the right wing will never vote for them.

Hell, it's not even clear if KEITH wants to become leader. Most opposition parties attack the party in charge because, at a fundamental level, they want to be in power. Labour have done none of this. The Hartlepool polling is a prime example of how impotent they are. "Oh well the voters just aren't listening"; "how can we win when Corbyn supports still exist"; "really, it's the voters at fault"; "we can't afford to have ideas and policies." It can't be emphasised enough how useless Labour are the moment, and that's unlikely to change for some time.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
look they're never going to win over most of the flag fuckers but I presume there are more than enough guardian columnists to make up for the loss of Corbyn supporters, otherwise it would be absolutely insane to declare a huge number of your own voters to be stupid dangerous communists who deserved to lose and should never get anything that they want

i also like how every policy from the 2019 manifesto is now a no go, because the voters explicitly rejected every single one of them individually, I'm looking forward to seeing what I'm sure will be a very an exciting offering in 2024

i mean obviously they've already got some dynamic and bold proposals like covid bonds, 100,000 startups and giving the nurses what the Tories promised they'd give them and then maybe negotiating up a bit from there (but presumably not to what they're currently asking for, or the even larger amount that would be the equivalent after another 5 years of inflation) but they've probably got some other stuff coming up and they won't just announce it once to widespread ridicule/apathy and then instantly forget about it anyway

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Sending warships to sabre-rattle at France on election day is peak Tory. They certainly know how to pander to their flag-waving core voters.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

https://twitter.com/AllyFogg/status/1390033372836155399?s=19

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The mainstream political consensus relies on just writing off the 25%+ of the electorate that would support a strong social democratic program as insane antisemitic cranks, so the only valid votes to chase are working class homeowners with reasonable concerns about immigration (not racist)

So I honestly don't think Kieth is 100% taking a dive, left wing politics is genuinely considered illegitimate inside the political-media bubble and doing anything to appeal to the Corbynite base sits outside the realm of acceptable thought

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

XMNN posted:

giving the nurses what the Tories promised they'd give them and then maybe negotiating up a bit from there (but presumably not to what they're currently asking for, or the even larger amount that would be the equivalent after another 5 years of inflation)

Labour's stated policy is 2.5%, vs what the Tories gave them of 1% vs the royal college of nurses saying 12% vs the 2019 labour (pre covid obvs) manifesto of 5%

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

They were, that's why when the media pulled up the manifesto to laugh at it in 2017 it nearly cost May the election. But they're not going to make the same mistake again, the only Labour policy that will be widely discussed is the Final Solution.

genericnick has issued a correction as of 10:24 on May 6, 2021

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Pistol_Pete posted:

Well, putting my Big Business Mogul hat on for a minute: why would I want to donate anything to Labour right now? They're firmly out of power, there's no election for years, the current leadership is weak and directionless and the Tories are proving themselves all too happy to quietly make beneficial arrangements in return for having cash bunged at them.

The last point is the most important one, I think. Why give money to the party that's out of power in the hope of possible future benefits when you can get an immediate result from giving money to the party who's running the country now, and who've shown themselves to be cheerfully and shamelessly corrupt?

Sucks for Starmer of course, but just emphasises how dumb it was to gently caress his profitable small donors off when it was blindingly obvious there'd be no cash coming in from the big guys.

Starmer didn't have any other choice, really; his whole plan hinges on purging the left which *by itself* will make Labour electable again (in the minds of the Labour right). By definition this will piss off the membership so they had to try and tap up big donors to make up the shortfall, which is failing for all the reasons people have talked about.

I don't subscribe to the notion that Starmer is a plant or intentionally destroying the party - he's just a right winger who has taken at face value all the articles about how the voters in Doncaster just want the Hard Left removed so they can vote for someone Electable, and never realised that was just consent manufacturing and not to be taken seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Labour might well have won in 2017 had the party machine not been actively trying to lose