Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

I just voted entirely out of spite. Count Binface to spite Fox, Sadiq to spite internet racists who hate us having a Muslim mayor, and all the rest Green to spite Keith and his Red Tories (and also to spite Sian Berry for not wanting ex-Corbynistas, tough poo poo lady, though I admit that's rather spiting myself in the foot there).

I'd still far rather have someone to vote for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

I promise the podcast did not start a small war to launch this week's episode, but by TOTAL coincidence we did a history of the UK fishing industry. Not to thump my own chest too much, but if you wanna understand why everyone is so pissed, this week's main story is genuinely a good primer.

Also we brought back GoingMedieval/Eleanor Janega and she's always great.

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1390225221358129157?s=20

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Kin posted:

So getting my head around the Scottish voting system (because I finally got around to it) and it basically boils down to this?

Vote both SNP if you wanna try and push for a SNP Majority.
Vote SNP and (other not tory party) if you wanna reduce tory seats.

From what I read, the system is fairly representative of seats to vote share ratios, so in the end would it even matter? If 30% of my area are scum, then the Tories will get about 1/3 of the available seats anyway?

Echoing what Jedit said. If you support independence, vote SNP on the first ballot & Green on the second. The only exception is if you live in South of Scotland. The SNP currently have 4 MSPs from the second ballot, despite receiving more than twice the votes of the next party in 2016. 3 of those MSPs are South of Scotland, 1 Highland. Which basically means about 900,000 SNP votes were wasted, which only benefits the Tories.

The only sensible option on the 2nd ballot are the Greens. Do not engage with Alex Salmond's ego trip.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Grimey Drawer

Pistol_Pete posted:

- The voters of Hartlepool are thick, ignorant bigots who deserve to be poor

Probably, also probably and no they don't

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I'm guessing it's not a great sign for politics that literally the only reason I'm going to bother walking the 5 minutes to the polling station (or rather diverting 30 seconds from my trip to the chippy) is to try and ensure Count Binface gets more votes than Piss-Drinking Man and Kirk Van Fox.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Still laughing at Polly Tonybee saying that the voters have no excuses but to vote for Labour because Keith is so electable.

Winning Votes isn't electability, wearing a nice suit and not being left wing is.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Gats Akimbo posted:

I just voted entirely out of spite.
The good news is you passed the final exam in the British citizenship test

Gonzo McFee posted:

Still laughing at Polly Tonybee saying that the voters have no excuses but to vote for Labour because Keith is so electable.

Winning Votes isn't electability, wearing a nice suit and not being left wing is.
I honestly reckon you could just vote for whoever has been described as ‘electable’ the least and have a reasonable heuristic for picking a left-leaning candidate

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Regarde Aduck posted:

Probably, also probably and no they don't

Well, you're clearly not a Guardian reader.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Voting for me is going to be an exercise in seeing if I can be bothered after the gym.

If I do though it's both votes for #alba

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Do not engage with Alex Salmond

Oct 4, 2005

Held my nose and voted straight green, there was literally nobody else on the ballot who didn't make me furious

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Gats Akimbo posted:

I just voted entirely out of spite. Count Binface to spite Fox, Sadiq to spite internet racists who hate us having a Muslim mayor ...

This was my strategy as well. I'd much prefer to have someone to vote for as well but this will just have to do.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

1965917 posted:

Held my nose and voted straight green, there was literally nobody else on the ballot who didn't make me furious
Count Binface is a good lad who means well

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Is this guy actually big or is Rishi just really tiny

https://twitter.com/latgalia/status/1390226452050759680?s=20

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

peanut- posted:

He's real small afaik op

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

peanut- posted:

A man who believes so much in austerity he still gets his mum to cut his hair.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
absolute unit, tories are unstoppable.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

peanut- posted:

He's short but also that's a big unit next to him which compounds things

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
what is that thing rishi is unleashing on brookside close

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
look at those meaty fists, he could totally destroy you if the whim took him.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

crispix posted:

what is that thing rishi is unleashing on brookside close
ME WEAR SUIT

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Not voting today. Because I already postal voted

Went with the Green in my holyrood constituency to try to get them in second place in my safe SNP seat and because Lorna Slater is cool. Also current (fairly distant) second place isn't the tories so i don't care that much tbh.

Heard some chat that SNP TERF Joan McAlpine might lose her list seat if she doesn't gain the Dumfriesshire constituency , with the right AMS fuckery going on. Does mean the tories gaining a seat but i believe that'll just mean one less list seat so I'm not that bothered either

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
A scenario where the largest Tory simply eats the Chancellor could really spice up Super Thursday

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Flayer posted:

Count Binface is a good lad who means well

While it might not seem it at times, not everyone ITT is in London

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

look at those meaty fists, he could totally destroy you if the whim took him.

I will face him in a Cage This Sunday, At Slaughterhouse Spring.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
mystic crispix is going to go out on a limb and predict that scottish tories will deny the SNP a majority and will gloat about it for 5 years

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Junior G-man posted:

I promise the podcast did not start a small war to launch this week's episode, but by TOTAL coincidence we did a history of the UK fishing industry. Not to thump my own chest too much, but if you wanna understand why everyone is so pissed, this week's main story is genuinely a good primer.

Also we brought back GoingMedieval/Eleanor Janega and she's always great.

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1390225221358129157?s=20

https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/1390212802753843200?s=20

I'm an islander AMA

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

crispix posted:

mystic crispix is going to go out on a limb and predict that scottish tories will deny the SNP a majority and will gloat about it for 5 years

nah this is the year of the ScotLab resurgence, Sarwar will hoover up the Ruth Davidson vote.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Angepain posted:

AMS fuckery

Tute Id Fac

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

always nice to learn that the UK's fishing industry is made even weirder and dumber by the existence of Crown Dependency rules that do even more fuckery than the usual British state fuckery.

In terms of AMA: has the Jersey fishing industry declined as much over the last decade as the UK overall one?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
France threatening to switch off the electricity to the Channel Islands must be a fairly scary proposition?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1390244482801668096

Jez is too good for these slime.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Should we just give the Channel Islands back to France because do we really need another loving tax haven?

Anyway, pleasantly excited to find that the Greens are running a local constituency candidate here so I don't have to spoil my ballot. Coz I'm not voting for loving Fergus Ewing. But more weirdly there is Restore Scotland. Who seem to be a pro-independence, anti-EU right wing party running here, Banff, Dundee West & Shetland. Sound like shitheads, their Wiki has a line about the ranting about "Scottish Government’s new hate crime legislation".

PNGYAKUZA
Apr 21, 2021

I'm not a monster, it's just a mask.
https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1390172246178729990

I swear tories are lizard people who don't consume media and instead think identity is actually just a load of flags, racism and posh accents.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Gonzo McFee posted:

I love how centrists have created their own definition of the word ‘electable’ that doesn’t actually include the ability to win elections

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Voted TUSC where available (one council candidate out of three) and also for an Independent who dropped a leaflet round focussing mainly on public transport and cycle paths, and one Labour candidate who is actually good.

Also Lib Dem for PCC because they're married to a friend of mine and it's a bullshit position anyway so who cares?

It's weird being politically homeless.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

PNGYAKUZA posted:

I swear tories are lizard people who don't consume media and instead think identity is actually just a load of flags, racism and posh accents.

The dumbest thing about this is in independent, buccaneering Britain the creative industries are one of our only successful export products.

Like I get wanting to grow sciences and manufacturing and stuff but you don't actually need to gut our extremely economically successful cultural output for that to happen.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Surely that should be "a blank from a musket" rather than "a blank firing musket", because there's nothing stopping that from not being an actual shot other than the decision not to put a ball in it.

forkboy84 posted:

Should we just give the Channel Islands back to France because do we really need another loving tax haven?
Not while France is still being fash, they don't deserve anything.

Neither do Tories though, so who knows who should have them. Probably not the Telegraph Brothers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

PNGYAKUZA posted:

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1390172246178729990

Art will continue as it has done in the past ten years. Exclusively made up of the children of born to wealth cunts with fake titles and names like Chundly Barseflaps. It's just money moving up the ladder and never coming down again.