Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

ShakeZula posted:

In all my years I've only ever seen one illustration showing Reed Richards with a beard, yet it is that picture that all the Twitter folk choose to use for their "dream casting" posts.

Although now I'm wondering, can Reed stretch his hair and beard the same way as the rest of himself?

Everybody know their making the Fantastic 4 black right? Well except for the thing probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Geo Fixer posted:

Everybody know their making the Fantastic 4 black right? Well except for the thing probably.

No-one knows that, nothing has even vaguely been said. That would be cool, though.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
The new shield from the end of Endgame and TFaWS has been bothering me mildly because if Cap decided to retire to an alternate timeline and spend his life with his best girl, why would he go to the trouble of getting a new shield? Then watching Spider-Man Homecoming tonight there's a scene with Happy reading off the planes cargo manifest and one of the items is "Cap's new prototype shield", so I'm wondering if old Cap didn't just pick that one up from the Avengers compound on the way to the funeral.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
When the MCU kicked off, and they started expanding, while I was daring to dream that there would ever be a Doctor Strange appearance, I always thought Timothy Dalton would have been perfect, but for some reason was sure that they would cast Jon Hamm.

Having since seen Dalton in Doom Patrol, I'm convinced I was right. Especially in season two, there are just so many episodes where something loving ODD rocks up to the door, and Niles is all "Oh gently caress, these guys, tell them I'm sick" and it's just so awesome. There's a school of thought that Strange and Stark both have very similar characters, and I think it's because for both of them their arrogance is a kind of portrayed as proud narcissism. With Dalton, he exudes a certain gravitas, his arrogance seems much more nuanced, like a sort of mega-evolved, patronizing, lack of faith in others who he feels only he can protect.

I guess in fairness it's probably where Stephen's character will 'evolve' to, once he's earned that attitude a bit more, and to start with he's just a rockstar surgeon.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Who employed the Cagéd Demonwolf to write movie news articles?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I kind of want to see the alternative world where the runner ups all got cast in the MCU and John Krasinski is Captain America, Shia LaBeouf is Loki, Joel Kinnaman is Thor, Joaquin Phoenix is Doctor Strange, Amanda Seyfried is Gamora, Saoirse Ronan is Scarlet Witch, Jessica Chastain is the Wasp, and Danny Devito or Jim Carrey are voicing Rocket.

Jensen Ackles as Hawkeye.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Jaoqin Phoenix is too good for the MCU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Jaoqin Phoenix is too good for the MCU

It's only a matter of time till he plays a villain. He was down to play Strange but didn't want to be locked in forever so they can bring him in and kill him off at the end.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

ShakeZula posted:

In all my years I've only ever seen one illustration showing Reed Richards with a beard, yet it is that picture that all the Twitter folk choose to use for their "dream casting" posts.

Although now I'm wondering, can Reed stretch his hair and beard the same way as the rest of himself?

I can't recall him ever doing some kind of Medusa-like stunt with his hair, but there have been comic book scenes where his head bends in funky ways and his hair "follows", if that makes sense. I think Reed's original image was a sort of straight-up professor type from circa the 1950's, and beards don't necessarily gel with that image; of course these days hot professor dude with beard is more the norm in popular culture.

Fake edit: I dug around a bit, and there's a storyline from the 80s where Reed and Sue "go undercover", and I suppose here they're showing Reed shape his hair in real time?

Also, and this is a tangent, but I have a vague memory of a scene with Jonny Storm where he's shaving his beard by shooting his fire at it; is his hair not immune to his own power?

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

live with fruit posted:

Jensen Ackles as Hawkeye.

This would have been awesome 😎

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

The_Doctor posted:

Loki starts Wednesday June 9th! Two days earlier!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNyLzc3MU_E

Paralyzed with the dawning horror that In gonna have to watch the first two Thor movies after all :negative:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think the first Thor is interesting to watch just because its that first wave of films where Marvel really weren't sure what worked and what didn't. Thor 2 not so much.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The Jane/Darcy/Selvig stuff is typically pretty good.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
Thor 2 isn’t bad, it’s just that it also isn’t good. It’s like plain oatmeal or cornflakes. They perform their function, in Thor 2’s case it conveys information that contributes to the MCU as a whole, just not in an exciting or interesting way. It just kind of.....happens.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Thor 2 is several cool ideas and a few great scenes interspersed between 55 minutes of extremely forgettable filler. None of it is horrible, some of it is great, but the vast majority of it will fly out of your head and be forgotten in a week.

Edit: Beaten by a second, but basically this.

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

Thor 2 isn’t bad, it’s just that it also isn’t good. It’s like plain oatmeal or cornflakes. They perform their function, in Thor 2’s case it conveys information that contributes to the MCU as a whole, just not in an exciting or interesting way. It just kind of.....happens.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Rappaport posted:

I can't recall him ever doing some kind of Medusa-like stunt with his hair, but there have been comic book scenes where his head bends in funky ways and his hair "follows", if that makes sense. I think Reed's original image was a sort of straight-up professor type from circa the 1950's, and beards don't necessarily gel with that image; of course these days hot professor dude with beard is more the norm in popular culture.

Fake edit: I dug around a bit, and there's a storyline from the 80s where Reed and Sue "go undercover", and I suppose here they're showing Reed shape his hair in real time?

Also, and this is a tangent, but I have a vague memory of a scene with Jonny Storm where he's shaving his beard by shooting his fire at it; is his hair not immune to his own power?

He was shaving Namor's beard.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Rappaport posted:

10 Beers posted:

He was shaving Namor's beard.

he's probably thinking of William Leather, the Johnny Storm equivalent in Planetary's "The Four"

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

I agree with this. I just watched both the past few days with my MCU timeline watch through and I will say that watching them a second time after not seeing them since they were released I did seem to actually enjoy them

Honestly, after watching all these movies in timeline order I am enjoying all the movies. Even Captain Marvel, which I thought was very okay when it released, was a lot better this time around for some reason. It may just be the excitement of finally seeing how the whole Infinity War shapes together.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Rappaport posted:

That sounds like the scene in the Bruce Timm animated Superman where he shaves by eye lasering his face.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The Assembled special on Falcon and the Winter Soldier is a must-see because of Brühl’s ad, where Baron Zemo tells you of the glories of Suitcovia.

Really wish they’d release an hour of Mackie, Stan, and Brühl goofing about on-set.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

he's probably thinking of William Leather, the Johnny Storm equivalent in Planetary's "The Four"

God, Planetary was so good.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Geo Fixer posted:

Phoenix as strange would have probably saved us from that god awful joker movie.

What the gently caress

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Terror Sweat posted:

What the gently caress

It’s Taxi Driver with the serial numbers filed off and painted over with clown makeup.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

It’s Taxi Driver with the serial numbers filed off and painted over with clown makeup.

Well yeah every movie is another movie with serial numbers filed off, doesn't mean it's not good

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
My only exposure to the Joker movie was that one scene where he's ranting and crying to De Niro on that talk show about how nobody is nice to anyone anymore, and I kept thinking to myself about how much this is something that The Joker would never do.

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010
Why does comicbook media criticism regularly get reduced to "Not my Superman" type poo poo.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

"What if Taxi Driver, The King of Comedy, Fight Club, and Falling Down were a good thing and we sold it to children too young and ignorant to know what the gently caress we're referencing?"

The whole thing has this Don Draper high-level cynicism that would be impressive if it wasn't so crass. I've seen dudes try to hide behind "Oh but the mental health industry" or "but the underclass" like touching on real systemic issues justifies the movie's pretensions, but much like the FatWS acknowledging systemic issues doesn't actually create depth because the core of the story is about personal journey and self-actualization.

We're (supposed to be) happy at the end of FatWS because Sam is now his best self, Bucky is his best self, and they all got what they needed in the short-term-- even Isaiah got a tiny corner exhibit in the Smithsonian and Sharon got a swank new position to spy on the government with. Not only are all the issues Karli, Zemo, and Walker touching on still around there's no indication they're going to get even a tiny bit better.

The same way, we're supposed to be happy in Joker because Arthur is now his best self, murdering anyone who pisses him off and reclaimed agency and respect via threats of death and torture to those who disobey, and the whole "he's a monstrous villain" thing is handwaved as "complexity" that makes adolescents feel more sophisticated than they are. It's like when I had to point out to some loser that the Kingsman movies are 100% superhero features, adapted from a comic written an author known for his work on superheroes, and he was in vehement denial because "but they wear suits and make references to the anal sex!"

Joaquim was good in the part though, no denying that. Turns out that when you give a talented actor with a strong voice a role that calls for nothing but a consistently strong voice, you get a strong voice.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 6, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Two Beans posted:

My only exposure to the Joker movie was that one scene where he's ranting and crying to De Niro on that talk show about how nobody is nice to anyone anymore, and I kept thinking to myself about how much this is something that The Joker would never do.

I found it extremely boring

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
"Joker is too similar to a great movie" is a weird criticism.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

live with fruit posted:

"Joker is too similar to a great movie" is a weird criticism.
And if that's what people were actually saying, it would be.

Why do some people have this weird cognitive dissonance where they can't acknowledge that they like something and that it's also really majorly flawed or fails in some key ways or even just articulate the basic construction of its design? I'm not talking like industry people who have incentive to always be as kind and obfuscating as possible with actual critique, I'm talking purely on the fan level here.

Like here-- I really enjoyed my time with FatWS. I'd also rate it a C+ series. It's basically exactly what you'd expect from the MCU, only it brushes up against serious problems with its political topics because it fundamentally can't address them with any nuance or complexity. A lot of the banter or character beats aren't very well-written after episode two, relying on the actors' charisma and chemistry to carry the project, which it thankfully does. The action sets up some interesting questions which is never manages to answer, and it wraps up way too many of its plotlines in a bow for how muddy they became. Still I had a really fun time watching it and am looking forward to other projects with the actors and characters.

Wandavision was an amazing experience. I'd rate it a B. It manages to take some interesting creative avenues to explore its characters, does some dynamite style parodies early on, and it's a genuine pleasure to discover that you would unironically watch most of them as sitcom series. It also starts to fall apart in the back half where it feels like some elements were rushed, others weren't given sufficient build-up, and the pacing is off. The final few episodes in particular try to do way too much at once, while the early episodes don't do quite enough, and some of the meta-winking to the audience through the commercials and Quicksilver end up creating false impressions that the story is going to get a lot more wild than it ever actually does. Still, very good character work and excellent acting/production all throughout, and I really hope both characters continue to develop in other properties.

Similarly I can acknowledge that Joker is well-constructed even if I personally couldn't stand to watch it, and recognizing that part of what turned me off was its hollow pantomime of older, better movies is actually yeah a pretty valid criticism.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 6, 2021

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I liked Joker because I like to watch dumb movies once in a while.

a thing i remember is how half the people i follow on twitter were freaking out thinking that the movie was a love letter to white het racist incels and there were dead sure there was gonna be a school shooting the day it premiered.

Then nothing happened. and it turned out to be a movie with a good actor and a very superficial message.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

mind the walrus posted:

Not only are all the issues Karli, Zemo, and Walker touching on still around there's no indication they're going to get even a tiny bit better.

This is a weird thing to say because the most unrealistic thing about FatWS is that Sam saying "you need to do better" actually made politicians do something instead of them just shrugging it off.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Amazing experience rates a B? Who the gently caress

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

mind the walrus posted:

The action sets up some interesting questions which is never manages to answer.

what is this supposed to mean

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Two Beans posted:

He has done that many times in the comics

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My issue with Joker was it was just depressing. The world is utter poo poo, and was even worse when it was released, i don't want poo poo that brings me down right now.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

"What if Taxi Driver, The King of Comedy, Fight Club, and Falling Down were a good thing and we sold it to children too young and ignorant to know what the gently caress we're referencing?"

Hot take, Flag Smasher would have chewed the scenery if they didn't genderswap him. Easier to write villains that way.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
joker's sole merits are copying a better movie's premise and technical aspects and Phoenix's performance, and since it didn't use those to create or say anything interesting or worthwhile it was a very bad movie.

like everything about it crumbles under critical review, if you ask why any given scene why the way it is the answer is, at best, "Taxi Driver did a similar thing and it was good" and at worst it's varying levels of unsupported cynicism directed at nothing in particular, maybe by design to increase it's universal appeal.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
the point of Joker is "mental illness is exacerbated by social structures we assume are normal and benevolent." hope this helps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Bleck posted:

the point of Joker is "mental illness is exacerbated by social structures we assume are normal and benevolent." hope this helps

I liked the part when he danced down the stairs.