Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Nostalgamus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyMVNf5m0rc
Featuring a wonderfully specific counterbuild in game 3.

yeah that was super cool to see, and we're prolly more likely to see a scout before we see that build again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

yeah that was super cool to see, and we're prolly more likely to see a scout before we see that build again

Well, it is the textbook "correct" build if you scout the carrier build right when he did. It's less rare on the pro level just because you don't see that kind of greedy carrier rush too frequently and it gets scouted in time even less frequently, but I've seen that response far more than I've seen scouts over the years.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Nostalgamus posted:

Featuring a wonderfully specific counterbuild in game 3.
mini vs miso was a great game too.

I really liked day6.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Lol at game 1 final match group A Ro16

Shuttle does a totally normal fast expand, except for some reason he builds a scout out of the stargate instead of a sair. It kills an overlord and a drone and then dies to hydras, but he wins anyway because of a DT drop into the main

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgLwTMAgvBU

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

:smuggo:

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Goodness me, that RO16 group A was just wall-to-wall Good Games. A real step up from the first round.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
winners match in this group is a loving stunning series lemme tell you

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crsXiQXORls

boy game 2 sure was a thing :eyepop:

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
what an insane series. i'm getting the impression this season's a lot better than last one for whatever reason

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah Sharp v Best was sick

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

mortons stork posted:

what an insane series. i'm getting the impression this season's a lot better than last one for whatever reason

this has been the best asl to date imo, very few bad matches and loads of excellent ones

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
I remember last season was pretty good except the semi finals/finals, but this one is delivering too. So glad we still have tastosis! It seems like in the end this patreon thing will be a positive, as we will likely get other Brood War content from Korea casted.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Hope tastosis stick to what they're good at!
As far as I can tell they're not delivering on their stretch goal of casting the commercials which is fine, i don't care, im here for the SC matches and if I'm watching actively i just skip to the games anyway. They probably didn't even check with ASL if they're allowed to talk over the ads in a restream before they put up that stretch goal.

If they do some extra patreon content like they're hinting at I hope it's more games and tournaments, not casted commercials and Instagram influencer-style content.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Mata posted:

As far as I can tell they're not delivering on their stretch goal of casting the commercials which is fine, i don't care, im here for the SC matches and if I'm watching actively i just skip to the games anyway. They probably didn't even check with ASL if they're allowed to talk over the ads in a restream before they put up that stretch goal.

If they do some extra patreon content like they're hinting at I hope it's more games and tournaments, not casted commercials and Instagram influencer-style content.

I'm happy with my $5 pledge at the moment. I imagine this has all been thrown together last minute, so hopefully it just gets better with time. Must also be a bit hard to go from 10 years of production help to suddenly none and having to do it all yourself.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Mata posted:

They seem really behind and are catching up. If they do something with commercials it will likely be in the coming weeks.

They also seem to be trying to get a cadence with taking breaks, etc. RO16 d2 had a weird moment where you could tell they'd been at it a bit too long and should have taken a break.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 6, 2021

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

they should cast astl imo

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India

Mata posted:

I don't think you have to worry about this, they already make their own individual twitch/youtube content. This patreon is exclusively for them casting stuff together.

quote:

they should cast astl imo
That is what I hope for too, as well as non Afreeca tournaments/events.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VegleLEYCDY

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
i can only get through a couple matches at a time each day but all i can say: if the entire day is as good as the first games imply im set to have an excellent time

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I'm happy larva made it. Feel like that guy gets minimal respect for being one of the best active zerg. Everyone else is losing to protoss. I get that he's not a "next level" type of player, and he did fall apart completely in that one game he was winning, but he usually executes very well and makes solid decisions even when his opponents have a slight build order edge. Like just massing lings vs the zealot opener even though they were all going to die or massing scourge vs the corsairs. Most other players would have done something different with sunkens/hydras and not committed so hard to having 30 scourge flying around vs 12 corsairs. They'd also probably have gotten ran over or picked apart over the next 10 minutes like we keep seeing lately. A true champion of the ogre zergs out there even if he did stop making lots of mutas.

I hope we see Bisu fully return to form soon. Not from past-hype but from "drat that guy makes good choices".

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 10, 2021

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Khorne posted:

I'm happy larva made it. Feel like that guy gets minimal respect for being arguably the best active zerg. Everyone else is losing to protoss. I get that he's not a "next level" type of player, and he did fall apart completely in that one game he was winning, but he usually executes very well and makes solid decisions even when his opponents have a slight build order edge. Like just massing lings vs the zealot opener even though they were all going to die or massing scourge vs the corsairs. Most other players would have done something different with sunkens/hydras and not committed so hard to having 30 scourge flying around vs 12 corsairs. They'd also probably have gotten ran over or picked apart over the next 10 minutes like we keep seeing lately. A true champion of the ogre zergs out there even if he did stop making lots of mutas.

I hope we see Bisu fully return to form soon. Not from past-hype but from "drat that guy makes good choices".

Yeah those games he played were fire. I genuinely feared that he'd made a super stacked group of death for himself that he wouldn't be able to get out of but the results were excellent

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
RO16 D3 final match: Snow's elevator counter to Bisu's DT rush was great to watch, and it'll be interesting to see if it does become a kind of standard counter. Maybe it isn't so good if you don't have a) Snow's amazing ability to block the DT before detection is up and b) a spot in the base without vision to drop the first batch of units.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Group B was incredible, Group C was fine. I was super disappointed in Effort? 3 straight hydra rushes? c'mon, man

Heavy_D posted:

RO16 D3 final match: Snow's elevator counter to Bisu's DT rush was great to watch, and it'll be interesting to see if it does become a kind of standard counter. Maybe it isn't so good if you don't have a) Snow's amazing ability to block the DT before detection is up and b) a spot in the base without vision to drop the first batch of units.

If Bisu has one dragoon on his highground, that gets deflected. Snow was having so much trouble because he went reaver before observer and had to scramble to not get destroyed by the DT

Khorne
May 1, 2002
D4: Hero vs Rush game2 what the heck. Hero was contained but still got a defiler out on the map. When hero broke out of the contain his play was insane. He had defilers everywhere all of a sudden and was controlling four fronts at once while macroing. Impressive control & not something we see frequently. The way rush held the bottom left early was impressive too. Can't be stressed enough how bad of a map fighting spirit is in the early game for terran.

The opening TvT was fun. The later TvTs were something. Lots of offbeat games.

Heavy_D posted:

Bisu was scouting for the elevator and then moved to the front at the wrong time. He would have likely held if he kept checking, and he definitely thought it might be coming. It just came a bit later than he expected.

Bisu's games were like that in ro16. He did the right things and knew what was happening but had weird gaps in his play while snow played solid and exploited every little mistake -- sometimes by accident like with the elevator timing coming seconds after bisu was looking for it.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 10, 2021

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

These were some bad games this week

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E53ZR48zlLk

best not living up to his name imo

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

What a one sided massacre.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
what the gently caress was that

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

he's got a long and storied history of losing to stupid bullshit and i wouldnt have it any other way

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i appreciate someone losing in brood war ityool 2021 b/c they forgot the implications of units spawning from the bottom left

anchorpunch
Mar 30, 2006
With this season of ASL almost over i thought it a good time to once again recommend
this guy's (SaiyanSC) casts. I quite like his style and he is covering a lot of interesting games and events, that i did not know about. Here the KCM 2021 Season for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqxn-j3c3Lc

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
rip JYJ, at least he didn’t get dumpstered as hard as Best

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Apologies for anyone who thought the next ASL match was up...
https://twitter.com/nchan/status/1396589689465806848

anchorpunch
Mar 30, 2006
Haha cool

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Oh, there's an ASL now, and it's a pretty strong 'un
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScIo1j_I13Y

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Finally caught up with this, and unfortunately these ro8s been kinda disappointing?
This was actually fairly interesting to watch, though, I feel real bad for snow, he really put in some work. hero is just one of those players that make zerg look unstoppable no matter what you do basically

Khorne
May 1, 2002
The final RO8 match is up and it's pretty good.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Yeah, the first two RO8 games were very much dominated by heavy commitment to unconventional early games, which kept proving decisive one way or the other, and the latter two were much more enjoyable to watch absent that.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Heavy_D posted:

Yeah, the first two RO8 games were very much dominated by heavy commitment to unconventional early games, which kept proving decisive one way or the other, and the latter two were much more enjoyable to watch absent that.
I'd consider the first two instructive if you're interested in how the game plays. The last two were more meta.

RO4 is going to be weird. I don't even know who to predict to win. If hero makes it to a zvz finals I'd bet on him but I don't remember how good he is at zvz. If larva makes it to the finals somehow I'd bet on him from hype alone but in some ways both hero and queen outclass him slightly. Betting on queen isn't wrong. Betting on mini is maybe wrong with 3 zergs, but if mini makes it to the finals who knows. He has one matchup to practice for the rest of the season and protoss don't seem particularly vulnerable to any strategy right now. They just have trouble closing out games.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvG7Bh7GVWk

queen nooooo