Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

We named the dog Brooke because he wouldn't stop humping legs.

edit: What a lousy snype. I better put up a comic before anyone notices.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Dinky Dinkerton, Flyin' Jenny, and The Red Knight Nov. 8th, 1940

Axa

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Slammy posted:

Dark Laughter (July 14, 1945)

I asked the Milhist Discord to track this reference down. This refers to a statement made on the Senate floor by Senator James Eastland of Mississippi on June 29, 1945. In this, he is massively critical of the 92nd Infantry Division (which was the only African American unit to be deployed into combat), claiming that the men of this unit "had no initiative, no sense of responsibility, very low intelligence, and were a failure". This was the least pleasant portion of this statement - he later goes on to claim that the residents of Normandy suffered less under the German occupation than under American black support units.

He later became known as one of the leading opponents of the Civil Rights Act, was a vocal supporter of Rhodesia, and played a significant role in the anti-communist witch hunts of the 50s.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I need to use the bathroom, where's he buried?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 RRONGK?

1979 comics
I feel like 'flour vs flower' was expanded on in the book, probably. Not that the mystery particularly hinged on it.

Begin 5 page derail on whether brothy soups or chunky soups are better.

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics, spoilered for Chinese caricatures

The Lockhorns

Footrot Flats

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (March 12, 1953)

Could this be the very first Oh No Tax Season strip?

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

"Utterly soulless"

Axa you.. You do realise they're bugs, don't you? They're really big, yes, but they're still bugs.

Classic Kevin & Kell (February 26 - March 4, 2001)

Right around now, we're in the middle of the Dot-Com Bubble bursting.

To make a long story very short, in the late '90s The Internet was seen as The New Hotness, and lots of companies purpoting to make money off of it sprung up. Most of them didn't have a viable business plan beyond "internet," but investors didn't care, and kept pumping money into the dot-com market.

In March 2000, the bubble reached its peak and burst: lots of companies went belly-up, lots of people lost their jobs, and many investors lost quite a bit of money. (I don't really care about venture capitalists, they can go and get hosed, but among those investors were also common people who lost their lives' savings on the illusion of easy money, usually spurred on by financial promoters of dubious morality.)

tl;dr of the Dot-Com Bubble: STONKS, until NOT STONKS.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 07:54 on May 6, 2021

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Everyone else has their mouth showing through the mask except the teacher, let's fix that.

That didn't help at all! Maybe it's the missing eyes. :magemage:

No... :ohdear:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Well... at least that Deathany-Axa mashup avatar I made isn't the most cursed thing posted in the thread any more...

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

garfoogle.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Gnoman posted:

I asked the Milhist Discord to track this reference down. This refers to a statement made on the Senate floor by Senator James Eastland of Mississippi on June 29, 1945. In this, he is massively critical of the 92nd Infantry Division (which was the only African American unit to be deployed into combat), claiming that the men of this unit "had no initiative, no sense of responsibility, very low intelligence, and were a failure". This was the least pleasant portion of this statement - he later goes on to claim that the residents of Normandy suffered less under the German occupation than under American black support units.

He later became known as one of the leading opponents of the Civil Rights Act, was a vocal supporter of Rhodesia, and played a significant role in the anti-communist witch hunts of the 50s.

Wow.

loving wow.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Man, Jack was totally out of his league, wasn't he?

In over his head strikes me as the more appropriate expression here. Out of his league implies that Shauna and her family are highly desirable, when he sees them more as eccentric and is only comforted when he realizes that the family doesn't understand Shauna's brutalism obsession either.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Mikl posted:

tl;dr of the Dot-Com Bubble: STONKS, until NOT STONKS.

The fact that you may have needed to summarize this makes me feel unbelievably old in the thread about the deadest of comics media

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

This bothered me than it should. Gatorade does have a cherry flavor, and there are flavors of Gatorade that are red, but the color of cherry Gatorade isn't red, it's blue.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (August 25, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (August 25, 1999)

Garfield Classic (August 25, 1989)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Slammy posted:

Dark Laughter (July 14, 1945)

This hits hard as German 88. I did a lot of reading, collected a lot of book, into the war experience of segregated Black and Asian G.I.’s and I’m amazed these comics never appeared.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Kavak posted:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/5/01

Brenda Starr 5/30 - 6/1/46

Smokey Stover 12/15/40

Richard's Poor Almanac

"Gifts so useless that once actually given they cease to be" -- I love that bit.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gnoman posted:

Sounds like he was on the wrong side in ww2.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I turned the page in a book I got from a used bookstore once to find a stranger's family photo and I drat near hurled the book across the room from surprise.

Let's see kindles do that!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I was watching through an old photo album last week that my uncle compiled. Don't know most of the people, hardly any of us do. It told me you should write down this stuff while you're still alive because your descendants won't know who most of these people are. Some had info though, like "cousins sons in america", all of them emigrated.

Did get a cool photo of my granddad at work though from the 60s. He only lived to be 69 (smoking and asbestos exposure), got outlived by his own dad who died 4 years later, then only a few months from 102. Born in 1888 and died in 1990, helluva run. I believe he also went to america, but went back, and brought back an indian motorcycle, like one of the very first models made, sits in a museum now I am told.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

I was watching through an old photo album last week that my uncle compiled. Don't know most of the people, hardly any of us do. It told me you should write down this stuff while you're still alive because your descendants won't know who most of these people are. Some had info though, like "cousins sons in america", all of them emigrated.

<puts on archivist hat>

Yes, you should absolutely do this. The archives where I work has hundreds of thousands of photos and almost 250 photo albums, and only a few of them have any kind of identification.

fondue posted:

So, does she actually have any powers other than being able to hibernate perfectly for a couple millennia? I'm kind of disappointed there's no Stardust-level lunacy.

Sorry for the letdown, but as far as I've seen, Deer has no mystical powers other than being royal and pretty. And having a well-trained falcon buddy, who we'll be seeing a bit more of soon.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Haifisch posted:

2017 RRONGK?

When this storyline started, I sure wasn't expecting it to swerve into the Hulk wrestling an alligator. Newspaper Spider-Man is such a treasure.

"Even though she's not a rat" is such a lovely thing to think about Angelique. It's jarring to compare how Bruno being trans gets treated with respect compared to how Angelique being a rat never stops being a source of jokes.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Gnoman posted:

Not surprising at all, really.

e;

Crab Dad posted:

This hits hard as German 88. I did a lot of reading, collected a lot of book, into the war experience of segregated Black and Asian G.I.’s and I’m amazed these comics never appeared.

There are uncountable stories that have been purposefully erased or just neglected.

Know many hispanic WW2 veterans and one I talked to at the VFW my grandfather frequented told me how in the Pacific theatre the white GIs would ask if he was Japanese and if he was Black also cause his smaller size and skin tone. He wasn't the only one and there was a lot of violence that went along with it as well.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 6, 2021

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "42 - Jucika and Slacks"

"Jucika organizes Social Work"

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Feb. 04, 1945)

The Medieval Castle (Feb. 04, 1945)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Bibliotechno Music posted:

I don't know if this is right-- I think Black children can't really escape knowing that the "state's rights (to own slaves)" line of thinking is complete bunk, and as a white person in a white school district with the only Black history teacher for miles around, I'm lucky that I learned about the horrors of slavery at all. Considering Billingsley's amazing art for key aspects of Blackness (like the church hats and Kwanzaa stories), I'd guess it's about 50/50 if he addresses it (because, for all his talents, the man is a lackluster storyteller and may have just thrown it out with no intention of following up)

Vargo posted:

There is zero chance this gets mentioned tomorrow.

Hey, look at that.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Kavak posted:

Well congratulations, because he's buried in Forest Cemetery in Forest, Mississippi.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Eastland

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 04, 1945)

there's no escaping this thirst Val

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

loving vultures.

Edit: actually, vultures are good and essential, and comparing this to them is an insult to a perfectly fine birb.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

spoilers: all that crap will be rotting in self-storage within five years' time

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

The summer between high school and college, I was working to wrap up my Eagle Scout service project. I'd purchased a then very cutting-edge digital camera with my graduation money and was snapping photos\videos of the guys in my troop working on the recycling bins we were building for a local non-profit. One guy criticized my choice of going digital - "They're temporary. I used a film camera to document my project, and I'll always have the physical photos I can show my family later." "Well, I'll always have these photos, too. I'll be able to make infinite copies of them. AND I've got video."

I don't know if that guy still has his photos tucked away in an album somewhere, but I definitely lost all those digital photos (and all my highly touted backup copies,) probably within five years of taking them. The upshot here is that I 100% do not care that they're gone. What really mattered is that the old guys on the Eagle Council were very impressed by my Powerpoint presentation and a 640x480 video of my friend throwing up sparks with an angle grinder. A little early 00's tech gave a lot of weight to what was otherwise a very mediocre project.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I really can't stress enough, make a photo book every year.

Go through your cloud storage, download anything that catches your eye, throw it on Snapfish or Walgreens or whatever and just pay the $50 and have them send you an album. The whole process takes less than an hour.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

riderchop posted:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Ooo, good choice for the punchline. FF14's weekly stuff resets Tuesday morning.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

RoboRodent posted:

loving vultures.

Edit: actually, vultures are good and essential, and comparing this to them is an insult to a perfectly fine birb.

Ugh, when my grandmother died, my mom was the one who had been visiting the most (despite living a 3 hour plane ride away while her brother lived in the same city as Granny). My mom also managed all of the hospice care, funeral arrangements, and was executor of her will. While everything was being sorted after her death, everyone in the family was just kind of in and out of Granny’s apartment as it was more or less the base of operations. At one point, my mom and I returned to the apartment from running an errand, and found that my uncles had not-so-sneakily gone through the apartment and put tape with their names on the backs/bottoms of all the art and furniture.
Adult siblings get so weird about their parents’ mortality and get in some kind of weird competition over stuff. It’s gross and I hate it.

My uncles are just assholes in general, though, so YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Aleta owns so much :allears: