Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nuebot posted:

This was demonstrated hilariously well in Samurai Jack where they treated robots, and their various clearly non at all blood fluids, almost exactly like organic creatures for any number of over the top violent fights.

This is actually comes up in Season 5. The Adult Swim-produced season...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

For that fella wondering why I like day9, please watch the first 17 or so minutes of his Returnal video. He's genuinely funny, chill, and improvs well, he's smart and does these little educational bits like the history of roguelikes, and he has lovely interactions with his community.

I hadn't really watched any streamers in awhile and caught his stream after work when he was playing AoE2 and it was a delight. It's funny how much different ladder play is than how all my friends and I played on LAN 20 years ago.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

didnt gargoyles and the later batman animated seasons have las guns and poo poo.
That actually started in Superman TAS where the crime syndicate gets lazer guns from Darkseid

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
i'm glad Disco Elysium has a huge and generous sense of humor because all the people trying to praise it over the past year and half have made it sound like the videogame equivalent of a cspam poster ruining Thanksgiving dinner

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Alacron posted:

The 90's Marvel cartoons had laser guns, and I think also weren't allowed to show punches connecting, they'd always cut away or cover it up somehow.

They couldn’t show punches ever connecting, but they could show grappling, throws, and kicks

Like, in the Spider-Man cartoon I don’t think he ever actually landed a punch on anyone in the entire series, but he sure as hell could drop kick people and send them flying into brick walls

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Bonaventure posted:

i'm glad Disco Elysium has a huge and generous sense of humor because all the people trying to praise it over the past year and half have made it sound like the videogame equivalent of a cspam poster ruining Thanksgiving dinner

this is why i held off playing it for a really long time lmao

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Alaois posted:

this is why i held off playing it for a really long time lmao

Same pretty much, a lot of people really anti-sell the game which is a shame when it's so good.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

my cop is a 1-3-3-5. High Motorics, low Intelligence. Basically a hyper-competent moron. it's pretty hilarious. he's also a superstar or something.

Bonaventure posted:

it is both an insanely hilarious game and also a very raw and personal game. it's also a huge game that changes a lot depending on how you approach it so different people are going to take very different things away from it.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

i don't understand how any of you played a cop my guy was a communist rockstar loving around and doing praxis

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Archer666 posted:

All this DE talk makes me remember that I still need to replay the game one of these days. I kind of blew through it when it got released, and go so absorbed in the crime drama with a self destructive main character that I didn't really engage with the political aspect of it aside from what the game offers you. And I didn't really think too much about that either. I think I ended up agreeing with Joyce the most while picking picking a lot of the Communist dialogue.

the narrations/VO makes it even better.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Joyce is great since she's a little bit of everything. She's a patriot and an old communard, but betrayed the revolution once the writing was on the wall to the Moraltarian and is now an incredibly wealthy ultraliberal. It lets her act as a really good devil's advocate to whatever ideology you pick for your own character, and she has one of the most scathing rebukes if you try to pick no ideology.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

For years I had an hunch about Karl Smallwood being the one that would keep the idea of Cracked somewhat alive with Seanbaby mostly leaving it for 1900 Hot Dog and sure enough, now he's doing an equivalent of his big YouTube show but for it. So if you liked Fact Fiend, this feels like more of it.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Sydin posted:

Joyce is great since she's a little bit of everything. She's a patriot and an old communard, but betrayed the revolution once the writing was on the wall to the Moraltarian and is now an incredibly wealthy ultraliberal. It lets her act as a really good devil's advocate to whatever ideology you pick for your own character, and she has one of the most scathing rebukes if you try to pick no ideology.

Well it does make sense to get rebuked for literally saying you have no ideology since that’s impossible, but is that really what’s going on, or is the game falling into the trap of equating “no ideology” with “my beliefs don’t align with those of any specific faction”?

Because that’s a thing that tends to crop up in games that try to offer a branching storyline, where they can’t overcome the limitations of having to pre-script every branch. Often you’ll be faced with two or more groups who both suck, like the Mages and Templars in Dragon Age 2, without any option to say they both suck and go do your own thing.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bakeneko posted:

Well it does make sense to get rebuked for literally saying you have no ideology since that’s impossible, but is that really what’s going on, or is the game falling into the trap of equating “no ideology” with “my beliefs don’t align with those of any specific faction”?

Because that’s a thing that tends to crop up in games that try to offer a branching storyline, where they can’t overcome the limitations of having to pre-script every branch. Often you’ll be faced with two or more groups who both suck, like the Mages and Templars in Dragon Age 2, without any option to say they both suck and go do your own thing.

just play it

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Bonaventure posted:

The first time I heard of it was people in the Thunderdome Discord howling up a storm at the jokes they screenshotted. I didn't know how political it was for a few days after that.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Bakeneko posted:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I legit didn't know it was political at all when I picked it up. Just heard something about a new game that came out that was Planscape Torment and had excellent writing. And oh boy is the writing good.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

I mean, that's the gag rhetoric failure from trying to convince a dude to give you his sandwich.

I dunno about what Joyce says, but I think the Kingdom of Conscience thought lays out pretty fully it's opinion on centrism, neoliberalism, and refusing to ever rock the boat.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Disco Elysium gets talked up to a fairly ridiculous degree but it's a lot of fun and worth trying

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Disco Elysium is a modern masterpiece, but that doesn't mean it's for everyone and I get why a lot of people bounce off it. The group that annoys me aren't them, but the ones who approach the game in bad faith and then bang out a million posts about how the game is communist propoganda made by a bunch of tankies who had the audacity to thank Marx at the game awards.

e. Realized I should clarify I've not seen any of there here, I mean more the internet discourse in general.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Sydin posted:

the game is communist propoganda made by a bunch of tankies who had the audacity to thank Marx at the game awards.

honestly more than anything I've read this post has convinced me that I need to play this game

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’m not sure, but I don’t think “tankies” can apply to people actually from a former soviet republic.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bakeneko posted:

its not like that though. its not about factions and poo poo. its more of small story about a super broken dude coming to terms with his life and solving a murder and a city/world that doesn't have a happy ending no matter which way you go with it. there is not really boss fights outside a really smelly corpse and a really lovely chair.

Dr Christmas posted:

I’m not sure, but I don’t think “tankies” can apply to people actually from a former soviet republic.

they wernt talking about the devs, the poster was talking about critics who call the devs tankies and hate the game for dumb political reasons.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 6, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The thing that I feel like is really undersold by people talking about Disco Elysium is how emotional and personal it is. Yeah, it's funny and has a great sense of humor all around. It has biting political commentary. But it's also a deeply personal story about a broken man with some really cathartic moments. That last part, I think, gets lost in a lot of the "look at this weird/goofy/political joke!" screen shots that I saw before I played it, so I was pleasantly surprised at just how grounded and real it felt on a character level.

It's so good, is what I'm saying.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
DE is comedy about an overbearingly sad world. It's specifically the third type of comedy mentioned by Hegel

Hegel posted:

"A third type... Through their various and peculiar complications situations arise in which aims and their accomplishment, inner character and external circumstances, are placed in comic contrast with one another and then they lead to an equally comic solution"

Plenty of other examples here too: Harry is the perfect comic hero because in the ancient Greek tradition, he is worse than the average person, has goals and objectives that cannot meaningfully be achieved (at least at the beginning), and fits a couple different comic archetypes at once.
The mirror of the internal world of Harry, the social world of the crime being solved, and the larger world of Communism's ruin by the Moralists all mirror each other, and all come into play, in turn, at the dream, the arrest of the murderer, and the stickbug.

And brings to mind that old Greek idea (is it Greek? I've never found the original quote for that) that Comedy is above Tragedy because it is a transcendence of the pains of individuals into the realm of larger forces and perspective.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its not like that though. its not about factions and poo poo. its more of small story about a super broken dude coming to terms with his life and solving a murder and a city/world that doesn't have a happy ending no matter which way you go with it. there is not really boss fights outside a really smelly corpse and a really lovely chair.

Now that makes it sound interesting.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the noob-killer is the fan in harry's room

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The best part of Disco Elysium is having a fatal heart attack in the first minute of play.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they wernt talking about the devs, the poster was talking about critics who call the devs tankies and hate the game for dumb political reasons.

I think acknowledging the usage of the word "tankies" implies dumb politics

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Bakeneko posted:

Yeah that's really the core of it. If you have the main character choose an ideology it's more about what crutch they're leaning on than anything concrete about their beliefs.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr Christmas posted:

You'd be surprised. :v:

Bakeneko posted:

I don't think there's really a way to disagree with everyone other than being centrist, which is presented as being the scum of scum. Centrism equals a lack of true conviction to make any kind of change for the better.

On the other hand, it kinda makes nobody seem like people you'd want to support.

You're a centrist or you're something else. Anything else requires bloodshed, but centrism involves an apathetic indifference to people in the long term.

If you don't agree with any of the factions, you're a centrist, and thus an enemy to everyone who wants to achieve anything regardless of what that is. You aren't allowed to not care, because that ends up making an enemy of twice as many people.

There's a lot going on with the politics, is what I'm saying.

e: DEspite everything I just said I think the politics are kind of a smokescreen about what the game's core is, so worrying about having a 'fair alternative' isn't THAT important

e2: Basically every time I think about disco elysium I have a different opinion on it, this may be a pro or a con. It kinda makes an argument for being more moderate, being open to changing your beliefs, while also condemning being TOO moderate or open to changing beliefs.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 7, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bakeneko posted:

yeah its an art game but with really good writing and themes and lefty politics and such and not written by stupid hacks like the people who made sunset or everybodys gone to rapture.

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah that's really the core of it. If you have the main character choose an ideology it's more about what crutch they're leaning on than anything concrete about their beliefs.

yeah. the main character obliterates their brain so loving hard that they are basicaly a really stupid teenager alot of times and you can have loving temper tantrums and break downs.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Harrow posted:

The thing that I feel like is really undersold by people talking about Disco Elysium is how emotional and personal it is. Yeah, it's funny and has a great sense of humor all around. It has biting political commentary. But it's also a deeply personal story about a broken man with some really cathartic moments. That last part, I think, gets lost in a lot of the "look at this weird/goofy/political joke!" screen shots that I saw before I played it, so I was pleasantly surprised at just how grounded and real it felt on a character level.

yeah i think the epic memes kind of do it a disservice. its a full blown rpg about a depressed guy's internal life with really impressive writing and reactivity

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It's real hard to showcase that in a screenshot though vs "here's a joke I thought was funny"

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Anything related to ideology is also very filtered through Harry's character and mental/emotional state. Your partner, Kim, also doesn't profess any strong political allegiance if pressed on the matter during the game, but in the reasonable way that most characters probably would because they're just trying to get by in that world and don't have a messed up head prompting them to yell about it to everyone.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Farm Frenzy posted:

yeah i think the epic memes kind of do it a disservice. its a full blown rpg about a depressed guy's internal life with really impressive writing and reactivity

yeah. its the ultimate small story in a small corner of the world in a lovely area of a lovely city in a dying occupied country.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The Chad Jihad posted:

It's real hard to showcase that in a screenshot though vs "here's a joke I thought was funny"

Honestly a bunch of the humour doesn't come across well in random screenshots either.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Harrow posted:

The end has a bit of writing that is, as far as I'm concerned, genuinely magnificent, turning something that's maybe the most base level disgusting into something beautiful. It really, totally, made me think differently about bugs.

I think people share the jokes and the politics because the emotional moments are so real and require so much context people just don't want to spoil them. It's the only game I've played that explored and discussed how loving scary it can be to dial a number, how painful and all-encompassing linked images can be, how utterly broken mundane things can make you, how much it can hurt to remember but how free it can make you to be able to finally put it in context. It lets characters be wonderfully multifaceted and deep the way people are multifaceted and deep. They don't have dramatic, tragic backstories, but they have struggles and ideas and failures that haunt them and they feel like people. The ones that don't are that way for a very specific purpose.

There's also a real deep mysticism and sci-fi part of it that doesn't get as explored as I'd like, but gets explored exactly as much as the character should explore it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Grondoth posted:

The end has a bit of writing that is, as far as I'm concerned, genuinely magnificent, turning something that's maybe the most base level disgusting into something beautiful. It really, totally, made me think differently about bugs.

I think people share the jokes and the politics because the emotional moments are so real and require so much context people just don't want to spoil them. It's the only game I've played that explored and discussed how loving scary it can be to dial a number, how painful and all-encompassing linked images can be, how utterly broken mundane things can make you, how much it can hurt to remember but how free it can make you to be able to finally put it in context. It lets characters be wonderfully multifaceted and deep the way people are multifaceted and deep. They don't have dramatic, tragic backstories, but they have struggles and ideas and failures that haunt them and they feel like people. The ones that don't are that way for a very specific purpose.

There's also a real deep mysticism and sci-fi part of it that doesn't get as explored as I'd like, but gets explored exactly as much as the character should explore it.

id love to see a sequel or a game set in the universe either earlier or later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The two decade later novel is getting translated out of Polish here sometime soon.