Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost

silicone thrills posted:

Maybe they should stop being such judgemental loving freaks and let people protect themselves to the level they feel comfortable with.

yah, probably, but like also the fashion industry exists and all of human history so maybe we should also as goons understand those things as well?

it almost seems like everyone is mad that i'm just pointing out the obvious fact that people think you're weird, and you don't like to be reminded of that fact

it's like, you know that other people are judging you, and you don't like it, so it makes you mad that I'm pointing out that yeah, this is how most regular people seem to be reacting to the situation

it's like.... you don't want to be reminded of something that's hurtful to you in some way

interesting, but fortunately that has no import on a discussion about masks, or how to motivate mask compliance, because we can all just shriek about who can dump on the new thread villain the hardest. this is the poo poo i'm talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

rabble rabble posted:

yah, probably, but like also the fashion industry exists and all of human history so maybe we should also as goons understand those things as well?

it almost seems like everyone is mad that i'm just pointing out the obvious fact that people think you're weird, and you don't like to be reminded of that fact

it's like, you know that other people are judging you, and you don't like it, so it makes you mad that I'm pointing out that yeah, this is how most regular people seem to be reacting to the situation

it's like.... you don't want to be reminded of something that's hurtful to you in some way

interesting, but fortunately that has no import on a discussion about masks, or how to motivate mask compliance, because we can all just shriek about who can dump on the new thread villain the hardest. this is the poo poo i'm talking about

Lmao, now this is what you call projection.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
dude clearly no one itt cares if people think they're weird.

seriously what the gently caress are you trying to say because you sound dumb as hell.

whiskey patrol
Feb 26, 2003
People are really loving dumb about aggregate risk. Here's how OSHA sets risk levels for carcinogens:

quote:

For each chemical identified as a carcinogen, this level corresponds to the 95% lower confidence limit of the risk estimate of one excess cancer case in 10,000 workers in a 45-year working lifetime.

COVID risk is way higher than that. PPE makes sense if you're in situation where you are more likely to be exposed. Anyone arguing that people shouldn't take reasonable and easy precautions is an idiot.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

rabble rabble posted:

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I don't give a gently caress what other people think about me wearing a respirator at all lol. Someone did said I was a Darth Vader wanna be and my reaction was to be sad for them for not getting the best protection they could get.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It appears to be an inartful roll with the punches comboed with a counter troll.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Seriously though folks. If I might be Real with you for a moment. Imagine dissing respirator crew in month 14 of a global pandemic caused by a respiratory illness. That's some antisocial poo poo right there. I suspect that anyone engaging in that kind of behavior might be in need of some therapy

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

NeonPunk posted:

I don't give a gently caress what other people think about me wearing a respirator at all lol. Someone did said I was a Darth Vader wanna be and my reaction was to be sad for them for not getting the best protection they could get.

really missed an opportunity to let him know his lack of faith was disturbing

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

NeonPunk posted:

should've given them the ol "live long and prosper" while saying "Harry, I am your teacher."

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Whoever made the original post must be a cool motherfucker if you're quoting it! Thanks for the share!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

i simply do not want the covid. i am sorry if this offends you

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/MSF/status/1390331772454440960

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

counter point

https://twitter.com/xkcd/status/1390179511887671300?s=19

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

the biggest own anyone can make in a thread about the most stressful and depressing event in our lifetime is that other posters should get therapy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Stickman posted:

Seasonal flu is responsible for tens of thousands of deaths and half a million hospitalizations every year in the US alone, all of which would be severely reduced if we took it more seriously. Pretty fun seeing assholes claiming to liberal unironically using “are you pussies scared of the flu too?” If we weren’t a society of sociopaths we’d normalize mask wearing during flu season anyway (plus mandatory paid sick leave, etc).

Gotta live your life.

once again I'm reminded of how people would talk about "gosh maybe we can take some lessons out of this" in the first half of 2020 where they hoped hand-washing and mask-wearing would become more commonplace even after the pandemic just so we could cut down on deaths completely unrelated to COVID but could be prevented by mask-wearing and improved hygiene all the same

except no it's OPEN BIDEN so we need to go back to "normal" even when "normal" loving sucked because people could and did still kill grandma by bringing pneumonia into her room

just at low enough rates that we were fine treating that level of excess mortality as background radiation

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

rabble rabble posted:

I've been planning on getting a sick sundress this summer and now I'm definitely gonna get one and wear a respirator with it :moonrio: drat I'm gonna look good

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The worst is yet to come actually

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Stairmaster posted:

manmade horrors beyond our comprehension

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

lol Albertan boomers are sucking and loving

https://twitter.com/CBCFletch/status/1390331016078786563

https://twitter.com/Edmontonsun/status/1390320686670008320

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

rabble rabble posted:

You're not blowing anyone's mind pointing out wearing respirators makes you look weird. That's obvious to everyone including people wearing respirators. If this is your point then your job is done.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

The Nostradamus of my posts.

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Accretionist posted:

I skipped hundreds of posts and it's still just news-free slapfighting.

What the gently caress

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

rabble rabble posted:

hey just curious do you work from home?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

once again I'm reminded of how people would talk about "gosh maybe we can take some lessons out of this" in the first half of 2020 where they hoped hand-washing and mask-wearing would become more commonplace even after the pandemic just so we could cut down on deaths completely unrelated to COVID but could be prevented by mask-wearing and improved hygiene all the same

except no it's OPEN BIDEN so we need to go back to "normal" even when "normal" loving sucked because people could and did still kill grandma by bringing pneumonia into her room

just at low enough rates that we were fine treating that level of excess mortality as background radiation

there was that one video going around in I think april 2020 with ink(?) showing how to actually wash your hands thoroughly and I remember that video every time I wash my hands now

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
something that's crazy about covid is that its completely rewiring the benefits cliffs with Social Security and Medicare right now.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Looks like Bangalore is rapidly unraveling. Cops have set up a barricade on the street leading to the CMs house in fear of people going there demanding hospital beds. A BJP politician blamed a bed scam specifically on the 17 Muslims in a Bengaluru covid war room, publicly naming and shaming them. However, while the bed scam is apparently real the MP in question may have been involved and they are now demanding his arrest.

https://twitter.com/scroll_in/status/1390332963036930049

https://twitter.com/dp_satish/status/1390194317524803584

https://twitter.com/srivatsayb/status/1389901808953298949

https://twitter.com/srivatsayb/status/1390296908527144969

https://twitter.com/thecaravanindia/status/1390321164040372226

https://twitter.com/drptg1986/status/1390316843529695233

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Schnorkles posted:

something that's crazy about covid is that its completely rewiring the benefits cliffs with Social Security and Medicare right now.

i don't know what this means

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Google Butt posted:

schnorles is a liberal and believes what they see on Sunday morning tv shows and is lost in that wierd reality

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Nice break from reading about how thousands upon thousands are dying/dead in India to slapfight with some dude who thinks we care that wearing PPE might make people think we are weird.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Google Butt posted:

A bunch of people are dieing that would have been getting benefits in the coming decades.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

here’s news

https://twitter.com/EMPosts/status/1390328579809062913?s=20

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Google Butt posted:

we just had the smallest number of new enrollees in social security since the early 90's. Part of the big problem in the budgets of SS/Medicare right now is we have a comparatively large number of enrollees vs. the number of new people entering the workforce. (i.e. they were designed with the idea that population only go up.)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

NPR just now ran a segment on how when you’re vaccinated you can do anything you want outside.

They added a disclaimer at the end that if you’re around crowds you should still mask if vaccinated.

Cool

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the most white supremacist thought possible

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

euphronius posted:

schnorles is a liberal and believes what they see on Sunday morning tv shows and is lost in that wierd reality

yeah captain fuckhead lawyer over here donning the mantle of the arbiter of who's liberal and who's not

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Cup Runneth Over posted:

manmade horrors beyond our comprehension

Google Butt posted:

Me neither. Someone posted a graph on decreased enrollment into Social Security with some sarcastic, "COVID saved Social Security!," zingers but no actual analysis or anything. Iirc, it was small so I wouldn't assume any scenario shifts without supporting analysis.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Oh look a bunch of first time posters postin in this thread overnight saying some clown poo poo I bet they are posting in good faith, oh..no? Ah well what are ya gonna do

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Thoguh posted:

The plane gets it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

dude clearly no one itt cares if people think they're weird.

seriously what the gently caress are you trying to say because you sound dumb as hell.