Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Not That Into You posted:

They seem to have fixed the rewards track progression hero portrait bug.

Brute force fix, as it seems... they just added a second achievement.

LOL, nope, they did not fix it. If you have more than 400 ranks, it won't let you pick a second skin.
Holy poo poo, how are they so bad at this?

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

A lot of work has progressed to figure out the mystery ??? puzzle/cardback achievement. In general: There are 4 puzzles, each involving looking at flavor text to determine a set of cards to play in order, playing them vs The Innkeeper, which then unlocks a Boomsday-esque puzzle that has to be solved

Currently only 3 of 4 have been fully solved, so if you're into that kind of thing give it a shot!

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Ever since the decks went on sale I've had absolutely rotten luck with token Druid. I think it might be time to gravitate towards another deck (I bought the secret Paladin deck) because while I could handle control Warlock and spell Mage pretty well and hold my own against secret Paladin there's a lot more face hunters/rush warriors/priests lurking in the silver 5-1 bracket which just crush it. Maybe it's time to go back to some sort of ramping Druid for sturdiness.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Finally slow-rolled my way back into Diamond after losing all my bonus stars from not playing for a few seasons. Made a few tweaks to the standard Control Priest formula to try and counter-meta and I'm pretty happy with them:

### Spell Control
# Class: Priest
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (0) Raise Dead
# 2x (1) Draconic Studies
# 2x (1) Holy Smite
# 2x (1) Renew
# 2x (2) Condemn (Rank 1)
# 2x (2) Insight
# 2x (2) Sethekk Veilweaver
# 2x (3) Apotheosis
# 2x (3) Hysteria
# 2x (3) Palm Reading
# 2x (3) Venomous Scorpid
# 1x (4) Blademaster Samuro
# 2x (4) Brittlebone Destroyer
# 1x (4) Xyrella
# 1x (5) Shadow Hunter Vol'jin
# 1x (5) Taelan Fordring
# 1x (6) Lightshower Elemental
# 1x (7) Soul Mirror
#
AAECAa0GBsi+A+DlA/voA5rrA9TtA6iKBAyTugObugOvugPezAPWzgPXzgPi3gP73wP44wOW6AOe6wOFnwQA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
# Generated by HDT - https://hsreplay.net

I went with Vol'jin instead of Illucia because I find that I Illucia is unplayable in waaaaay too many matchups, even though her upside is so much higher. Vol'jin is still amazing against Paladin and helps the winrate at least a little against Warlock. The Brittlebones are insane right now because they get around all the anti-spell disruption effects. Not to mention that they also deal with Crabriders and Ogremancers while synergizing well with core cards like Raise Dead/Renew/Insight. I think they're a strict upgrade over Shadow Word: Death in this meta.

I only ran ~20 games with this construction after starting out ~50 games with a more standard build (plus Ysera), but some of my matchup splits are just insane this season. 9-0 against Hunter, 8-1 against the Priest mirror, 5-1 against Rogue, but 1-8 against Warlock (granted that six of those were auto-concedes before I added Vol'jin, I had learned from my 3-10 rate last season). 60% winrate overall, 50% against Paladin.

I think the 30th card is either Taelan or one of the Condemns, with tech options being a second Lightshower or an Ooze.

orangelex44 fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 6, 2021

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Don't bother with the secret card back puzzle for the time being.

https://twitter.com/PlayHearthstone/status/1390357989031170054

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
New Vicious Syndicate (https://www.vicioussyndicate.com/vs-data-reaper-report-195/) report is out, turns out Paladin is good.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Update on Duels mode: They made it even worse, as everyone you face past 3 wins now has perfect passives. Mages with 1 cost hands discovering a new spell every turn by T5. You can win by T4 if you're lucky and they don't draw or discover freeze, which is essentially impossible. (ok, it's not that bad, but board based strategies are even worse now)

this is what the mage played by turn 9. note the 2nd mask and 2 fireballs then a ping, after 2 shatters and a frost nova that all cost one mana. well, the ping cost 2. he floated a mana, lkol

The alternative decks are all Rally the Troops which is still broken good.

Quotey fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 6, 2021

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

idiotsavant posted:

Reporting from battlegrounds to say that early-mid game Voljin is broken as gently caress when your 1/1 kitty cats turn into 2/4s and 3/3s for free and you can flip a turn 4 Tidecaller straight from the tavern into a 7/4 (or more!) with two buys and a swap. This meta is kinda busted so far

He's broken late game too, as evidenced by my 117/125 golden zap that deleted half my opponents board in the last match. He really removes the low Stat penalty for menagerie/battlecry/nomi builds.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

kaaj posted:

New Vicious Syndicate (https://www.vicioussyndicate.com/vs-data-reaper-report-195/) report is out, turns out Paladin is good.
That whole report reads very strangely. It's saying that paladin, the meta dominant deck, is improving because people are changing their decks to be weaker against it? But then it keeps having asides about how good priest is. I don't get it.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
All the recent Kibler No Deck Warlock vids show him playing a list with Kanrethad and Vectus and all of the deck codes are without those. What's up with that?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Desert Bus posted:

All the recent Kibler No Deck Warlock vids show him playing a list with Kanrethad and Vectus and all of the deck codes are without those. What's up with that?

I think he cut them for not being good enough. In one of the videos he mentions Vectus is probably his first cut.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Shwqa posted:

I think he cut them for not being good enough. In one of the videos he mentions Vectus is probably his first cut.

It's been at least 3 days of videos with his played list not matching the posted list, the most recent from 5 hours ago. If it's so bad why does he keep doing it?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
His videos typically lag ~a week due to an editing delay.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

His videos typically lag ~a week due to an editing delay.

Ah yeah that makes sense. I don't "Twitch" so i'm not up on whatever is the hot new thing.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Desert Bus posted:

It's been at least 3 days of videos with his played list not matching the posted list, the most recent from 5 hours ago. If it's so bad why does he keep doing it?

He posts 1 video a day, but plays like 6 or 7 hours. He generally tends to get multiple videos out of a couple of days playing a single deck and posts them together, generally picked for interesting games. The videos are often days old.
The deck he shows in the videos isn't "so bad" just not the most recent version of it.
He has supplied you with 2 versions (the video version and the more up to date version), why do you care?

MuLepton
Apr 1, 2011

It's kind of a long story.

Desert Bus posted:

He hasn’t playing the list shown in the YouTube videos for at least one week on stream. I think all of the recent videos are from just one or two streams where he had just started playing around with empty deck warlock.

e:f;b

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Put Kibler in a bikini in a hot tub and I will start watching Twitch streams.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

No Wave posted:

That whole report reads very strangely. It's saying that paladin, the meta dominant deck, is improving because people are changing their decks to be weaker against it? But then it keeps having asides about how good priest is. I don't get it.

Paladin's the best class and the most played class, but it's not quite reached the point of meta-defining. It's at ~22% of decks, but Mage is at 17% and Warlock/Priest/Hunter/Warrior are all more-or-less at 10%. It's still profitable for many decks to optimize to try and beat the field instead of trying to beat Paladin, at least so long as you don't sacrifice too much against that specific matchup. We're not yet at the point of, say, Lunacy Mage, Pirate Warrior, Broken Shaman, Release Demon Hunter, etc. where ladder is a wasteland of the Best Deck playing against Decks That Can Beat the Best Deck.

The discussion with Priest is largely on whether (or how) it will shift to be the #2 deck, and VS finds that an interesting discussion because Priest a) can hold it's own against Paladin, b) has quite a bit of deck flexibility to explore still, and c) is currently held back by certain polarized matchups that could plausibly be fixed with new iterations. It just happens that the other candidates for #2 are either already there (Mage) or are seemingly well-optimized already (Warrior/Hunter); none of which are as interesting to discuss.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

No Wave posted:

They are hedging for if/when players finally get sick of losing with Warlock, which will immediately shift the meta into a new form where Priest battles Paladin for top spot, especially with the new Flesh Giant builds.

That said, I also thought this report was a bit odd, because everything I've seen personally in Top1K legend and all the streamers I watch does not reflect this Paladin reality, nor did the Masters Tour. They are also stuck on the concept of Teron Gorefiend in Paladin, which is more likely turning out to be bait than good (like the deck runs Blessing of Kings and Blessing of Authority, this anti-synergy with Teron just has to suck).

It's a shame it sounds like this meta will be cut short of time with nerfs next week, as the competitive meta was still evolving and I kinda wanted to see two weeks of MTQs with 3-deck conquest lineups to see how players would adapt. But Paladin and Warlock probably deserve their likely incoming nerfs, just for the health of the overall game.

(also I'm ready to queue hybrid OTK DH for funsies should they screw up the nerfs :getin:)

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
My money is on Conviction getting hit first of all. That alone might be enough for Paladin, especially if combined with some neutral card nerfs. If they go after a second card it'll be one of the secrets, most likely Galloping Savior since it's easier to tweak over Oh My Yogg. First Day of School is concerning, but I don't think they could hit a balance to nerf it and not murder it. Tickatus will get hit but it should be Jaraxxus - Tickatus generates feelsbad but the real concern should be that Warlock has a single-card "I win the endgame" infinite value generator that also tempos out a 3/8 weapon for... reasons? Yes the class sucks, but I thought Blizzard learned their lesson on this way back with Deathstalker Rexxar. Refreshing Spring Water is less likely, but plausible. Crabrider is the most likely neutral nerf (call it 50/50 odds), followed by Mankrik, Taelon, and Venemous Scorpid in that order.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

The solution for the last puzzle has been solved. The instructions are 10 pages long :laffo:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Oh My Yogg isn't necessarily hard to tweak without completely reworking it. It could make the spell 1 mana stronger, still functioning as a pseudo-Counterspell but more potential backfire chance.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Or it just delivers an even more powerful buff to your opponent's minion. I'd really prefer if OMY was just a counterspell honestly.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

AnacondaHL posted:

They are hedging for if/when players finally get sick of losing with Warlock, which will immediately shift the meta into a new form where Priest battles Paladin for top spot, especially with the new Flesh Giant builds.

That said, I also thought this report was a bit odd, because everything I've seen personally in Top1K legend and all the streamers I watch does not reflect this Paladin reality, nor did the Masters Tour. They are also stuck on the concept of Teron Gorefiend in Paladin, which is more likely turning out to be bait than good (like the deck runs Blessing of Kings and Blessing of Authority, this anti-synergy with Teron just has to suck).

It's a shame it sounds like this meta will be cut short of time with nerfs next week, as the competitive meta was still evolving and I kinda wanted to see two weeks of MTQs with 3-deck conquest lineups to see how players would adapt. But Paladin and Warlock probably deserve their likely incoming nerfs, just for the health of the overall game.

(also I'm ready to queue hybrid OTK DH for funsies should they screw up the nerfs :getin:)
Yeah, maybe the part that confused me is the report saying balance changes are needed when things seem to be in flux.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

sirtommygunn posted:

Or it just delivers an even more powerful buff to your opponent's minion. I'd really prefer if OMY was just a counterspell honestly.

OMY should transform the spell, but put the transformed spell as a 0-cost spell into the Paladin's hand instead of casting it

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Devor posted:

OMY should transform the spell, but put the transformed spell as a 0-cost spell into the Paladin's hand instead of casting it

I like this better, actually. It gives the opposing player more agency, the absence of which is really what makes OMY so frustrating to play against. It can still potentially give you something completely useless, but at least won't outright lose you the game due to bad targeting.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Devor posted:

Assuming you mean the opponent's hand, sounds fun.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I've been running Gorefiend and other than 1 game where I curved it onto the divine shield taunt and an egg I have never used it.

I don't know what would be a good replacement though.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

orangelex44 posted:

I went with Vol'jin instead of Illucia

I've been running the Flesh Giant/Broom list, but this looks interesting.

Desert Bus posted:

Ah yeah that makes sense. I don't "Twitch" so i'm not up on whatever is the hot new thing.

Lmao ok grandpa.

AnacondaHL posted:

The solution for the last puzzle has been solved. The instructions are 10 pages long :laffo:

Is this the Hunter puzzle? There must be a simpler solution to the trades??

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

This feels so wrong but it wins so good:

### ??? Priest
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (0) Raise Dead
# 2x (1) Renew
# 1x (2) Shadow Word: Death
# 2x (2) Wandmaker
# 2x (3) Apotheosis
# 2x (3) Devouring Plague
# 2x (3) Hysteria
# 1x (3) Mindrender Illucia
# 2x (3) Palm Reading
# 1x (4) Xyrella
# 1x (6) Lightshower Elemental
# 1x (7) Soul Mirror
# 2x (8) Flesh Giant
# 1x (9) Ysera the Dreamer
#
AAECAaKrBAjIvgP70QPg5QP76AOa6wPU7QO0igTBnwQLk7oDr7oD3swD184DwdED/tED4t4D+OMDlugDm+sDnusDAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Fenarisk posted:

I've been running Gorefiend and other than 1 game where I curved it onto the divine shield taunt and an egg I have never used it.

I don't know what would be a good replacement though.

Mankrik is the best highroll, followed by Moonfang/Cairne for slower matchups, or Argent Protector for a decent budget anti-aggro option.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

AnacondaHL posted:

Mankrik is the best highroll, followed by Moonfang/Cairne for slower matchups, or Argent Protector for a decent budget anti-aggro option.

I'm gonna slot Mankirk into Priest and no God nor man can stop me.

### ??? Priest
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (0) Raise Dead
# 2x (1) Renew
# 1x (2) Shadow Word: Death
# 2x (2) Wandmaker
# 2x (3) Apotheosis
# 2x (3) Devouring Plague
# 2x (3) Hysteria
# 1x (3) Mankrik
# 1x (3) Mindrender Illucia
# 2x (3) Palm Reading
# 1x (4) Xyrella
# 1x (7) Soul Mirror
# 2x (8) Flesh Giant
# 1x (9) Ysera the Dreamer
#
AAECAaKrBAjIvgP70QPg5QP76APU7QPn8AO0igTBnwQLk7oDr7oD3swD184DwdED/tED4t4D+OMDlugDm+sDnusDAA==
#

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Do you get anything for completing the secrets? Just achievement points?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Card back

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Raise Dead + Mankrik is great lol, now I need to work it into Wild DiscoLock.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://twitter.com/GW_Alec/status/1390500406803922947

10 buffs!

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
Buffs… they must do something with shaman, right? Like, they can’t leave it in this state till miniset. Overall in low gold and plat I was having some fun with aggro/ Doomhammer shaman, but none of the other archetypes seemed to do anything.

When it comes to nerfs, I know that warlock sucks to play against but the discard warlock (Kibler’s deck basically) is super fun to play as.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

AnacondaHL posted:

not gonna lie, i spent waaaaay too much time doing this. but at least it's a very nice looking cardback.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

kaaj posted:

When it comes to nerfs, I know that warlock sucks to play against but the discard warlock (Kibler’s deck basically) is super fun to play as.

Hard agree. I have played it exclusively this month and am back to diamond 4 atm.

It's really enjoyable, like 4 different win conditions and a lot of decision making in different matchups. Plus it's super fun to get a few key cards then just slam your foot on the gas and blow your deck apart racing for the finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'm genuinely surprised they're doing such a big balance patch when they have the perfect excuse to just wait the month out and let the mini expansion sort everything out. I'm especially surprised it's going to be mostly buffs.