Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Justin Tyme posted:

Why the gently caress is it so hard for a company that makes an app to have "contractors" who drive their own car drive people places for money, to be profitable? Wtf is costing them so much in overhead

their advertising and marketing budget is insane, and they run operations at a loss to undercut their competitors

they have no lock-in on either the driver side or the customer side - anyone can download the Lyft app and start using that instead with basically no friction. and the "rideshare" business model relies heavily on the network effect, where the company with the most drivers and users provides the best service and attracts even more drivers and users

so they plow tremendous amounts of money into advertising, promotional deals, coupons, and so on, while also charging less for riders than they pay drivers. once they drive everyone else out of a particular city and gain a local monopoly, then they jack up the prices and slash driver pay to run that particular city at a profit. but anywhere they have competition, they'll gladly run a huge deficit for the sake of crushing their rivals, knowing they can make up the difference with tremendous amounts of VC money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
they’re about destroying public transit, unions, and further entrenching car culture

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
We probably would have gotten a huge investment in public transit during the pandemic but whoops liberals all love their little rent-a-coachman country aristocrat cosplay, so gently caress you essential workers I want to speak to your manager!

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Car bad. Death to car.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I want to ride trains

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Volmarias posted:

I don't think that's the deep dark secret goal, just the outcome. I do think "be the last one standing, then charge monopolistic prices / distribute fixed R&D costs (including app maintenance etc) over a variable and rising revenue stream" is the current model, and they've been extremely successful with the near total absence of taxi services in some places. Why regulators didn't just outright ban them since they're blatantly breaking existing laws, even if they're protectionist ones, I don't know.

France and Germany won't let them charge below market price, and Japan just fuckin banned them. American Incompetence is riding high as hell here.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Tulip posted:

France and Germany won't let them charge below market price, and Japan just fuckin banned them. American Incompetence is riding high as hell here.

Gotta differentiate though, is it incompetence due to [malice/greed] or incompetence due to [partisan gridlock/paralysis] or incompetence due to [the clowns running this circus having failed all the way up]?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Volmarias posted:

I don't think that's the deep dark secret goal, just the outcome. I do think "be the last one standing, then charge monopolistic prices / distribute fixed R&D costs (including app maintenance etc) over a variable and rising revenue stream" is the current model, and they've been extremely successful with the near total absence of taxi services in some places. Why regulators didn't just outright ban them since they're blatantly breaking existing laws, even if they're protectionist ones, I don't know.

If the regulators banned them, how would the regulators get their big payday from them :confused:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think the original goal was to make money and when they realized that wasn't happening the new plan is just to ride out the grift and hope investors never catch on.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Invalid Validation posted:

like most venture capitalist projects I’m assuming they just wanted to get big enough to be bought and move on.

Nah they are shooting for a monopoly, at which point they can safely raise prices until they're profitable.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Justin Tyme posted:

Why the gently caress is it so hard for a company that makes an app to have "contractors" who drive their own car drive people places for money, to be profitable? Wtf is costing them so much in overhead

lobbying to make the lives of everyone more miserable, of course

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Vox Nihili posted:

Nah they are shooting for a monopoly, at which point they can safely raise prices until they're profitable.

who needs to be profitable if you're close enough to a monopoly that you can be insanely unprofitable and threaten to crash Number, to force the government to bail you out?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

their advertising and marketing budget is insane, and they run operations at a loss to undercut their competitors

they have no lock-in on either the driver side or the customer side - anyone can download the Lyft app and start using that instead with basically no friction. and the "rideshare" business model relies heavily on the network effect, where the company with the most drivers and users provides the best service and attracts even more drivers and users

so they plow tremendous amounts of money into advertising, promotional deals, coupons, and so on, while also charging less for riders than they pay drivers. once they drive everyone else out of a particular city and gain a local monopoly, then they jack up the prices and slash driver pay to run that particular city at a profit. but anywhere they have competition, they'll gladly run a huge deficit for the sake of crushing their rivals, knowing they can make up the difference with tremendous amounts of VC money

Their marketing must be insanely expensive because even if you skim an absolute pittance off your drivers' fares I cannot understand how operating an app costs so much when you aren't even responsible for providing or maintaining vehicles or driver benefits.

In my mind its basically "the app costs $10,000 a month in hosting fees, we have 50,000 drivers per month which generates $1,000,000 a month in revenue, but this month we were net negative by one billion dollars" like what the gently caress is going on?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tulip posted:

American Incompetence is riding high as hell here.

Not seeing it. There is no attempt to do anything else to be incompetent at

American greed? grift? graft? loving the little guy? shortsightedness? definitely

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Justin Tyme posted:

Their marketing must be insanely expensive because even if you skim an absolute pittance off your drivers' fares I cannot understand how operating an app costs so much when you aren't even responsible for providing or maintaining vehicles or driver benefits.

In my mind its basically "the app costs $10,000 a month in hosting fees, we have 50,000 drivers per month which generates $1,000,000 a month in revenue, but this month we were net negative by one billion dollars" like what the gently caress is going on?

I guess it adds up when your HQ is in downtown SF and everyone involved (except the "contractors") expects to be paid like tech bros

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The rideshare apps are like Medicare for car transit, except if Medicare only paid for 30% of the cost. They are subsidized by the Fed printing fiat for the past decade and shoveling it to VCs.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Justin Tyme posted:

Tired: joke about losing money on each sale and making up for it in volume
Wired: actually do that irl

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Justin Tyme posted:

the "general and administrative" category of that chart accounts for the salaries of management, as well as generic white-collar departments like finance, HR, legal, and lobbying

note that this chart does not include payments to drivers, which totaled somewhere north of $8 billion that quarter, and gets subtracted before it even gets to Uber's discretionary budget

it also doesn't include various side costs and one-time expenses like taxes, refunds, driver bribes incentives, and so on, which altogether totaled to around $1.2 million

nor does it include middleman costs like credit card fees, data center costs, and so on. those side costs are all lumped together as "cost of revenue", which accounted for another billion or so dollars of Uber's spending that quarter

add everything up and Uber got paid $12 billion by customers in Q2 2018. but then they paid over 2/3rds of that to drivers, and more than two billion more to various fees and middlemen, leaving them with roughly $1.5 billion in gross profit to go into their own actual budget. and then they spent $1.43 billion of that on marketing, managers, and paper-pushers. so they were already almost in the red before they spent a single loving dollar on the app or driver support or anything else in their supposed core business

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Justin Tyme posted:

So going by this post

30.5 Days posted:

That's definitely not the plan, because uber has done some experimentation during periods where lyft wasn't spun up in an area or whatever, and found that demand is pretty elastic, people will walk or get rides from friends or just not go if the price goes above a certain amount. After discovering that they started working on uber pool to try and drive costs down, and when that failed they started doing self-driving. Now they're publicly traded though so they don't really need a plan they just need to convince wall street that there's a plan. Also the plan might just be to let other people buy self-driving cars when they come out some day and plug the cars into the uber network.

It sounds like they're trying to use advertising to convince people they don't have friends/bikes/legs.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they could probably fire 1 guy and post their first profit

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

The Skeleton King posted:

Car bad. Death to car.

tell me more

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Centrist Committee posted:

We probably would have gotten a huge investment in public transit during the pandemic but whoops liberals all love their little rent-a-coachman country aristocrat cosplay, so gently caress you essential workers I want to speak to your manager!

not sure a pandemic involving a disease that's highly contagious in close quarters would have driven the funding of mass public transit

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
https://twitter.com/exodotpet/status/1390352873154875397?s=20

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

No one could have seen this coming!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

not sure a pandemic involving a disease that's highly contagious in close quarters would have driven the funding of mass public transit
infrastructure takes a while

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Weird in how an economic model that demands perpetual growth the only place to squeeze profit growth is labour.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Kitfox88 posted:

China ran trains at less than half capacity (to limit proximity and number of people who come into contact with any infected individual), while returning a more or less normal amount (hundreds of millions) of people after chinese new year.

Part of that was the return being spread out over a longer period, but they also increased the number of trains running. Also during the quarantine, staffing at train stations was way up, and it's still up, with all the people screening people and sorting them into risk groups.

Of course that means nothing in the dumbest country in the history of mankind, just saying that it makes sense to increase spending during a pandemic.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
They're also extremely strict about quarantining, reasonably, when we can't even get 1/5 of the nation to wear a loving surgical mask at a minimum.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You can’t increase spending when revenues are down! The budget won’t balance!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

withak posted:

You can’t increase spending when revenues are down! The budget won’t balance!

simcity_you_will_regret_this.png link goes here

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

kind of related: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

can you IMAGINE the year 2038 and how badly we will wish it to be over??

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

mawarannahr posted:

kind of related: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

can you IMAGINE the year 2038 and how badly we will wish it to be over??

Surely we learned our lesson from y2k and will be ready in time right? Right?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

the entirety of that Berkshire “issue” would of course vanish if Buffet allowed the stock to split, but you know we just can’t allow those dumb proles to buy any shares

quote:

"I know that if we had something that it was a lot easier for anybody with $500 to buy, that we would get an awful lot of people buying it who didn't have the faintest idea what they were doing," Buffett told investors at Berkshire's annual meeting in 1995.

bawfuls has issued a correction as of 03:59 on May 7, 2021

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Zil posted:

Surely we learned our lesson from y2k and will be ready in time right? Right?

No.

Y2K response was the digital Montreal Protocol.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

When Uber and Lyft left Austin for a while, a bunch of competitors just stepped in without any real disruption. It's just not an industry where you can lock in market share. When (if?) the VC money runs out and they have to raise prices what happens.

bawfuls posted:

the entirety of that Berkshire “issue” would of course vanish if Buffet allowed the stock to split, but you know we just can’t allow those dumb proles to buy any shares

They've had class b shares that are effectively identical but 1500x smaller for a while now.

AreWeDrunkYet has issued a correction as of 04:27 on May 7, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I respect Warren Buffet’s dedication to making number bigger.

The original justification of discouraging retail investors was silly, but at this point he’s in a pissing match with a computer, and that’s amusing.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Platystemon posted:

The original justification of discouraging retail investors was silly, but at this point he’s in a pissing match with a computer, and that’s amusing.

Not when they're drowning the world in piss it's not.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Splitting the stock wouldn’t make us any drier.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Platystemon posted:

look on my number, ye mighty, and lol. for I am a rich rear end in a top hat and I'm taking it with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Splitting the stock wouldn’t make us any drier.

Putting down the pissers like the diseased vermin they are would though.