Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Corn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

when I got my house I tossed some grass seed onto the dirt and nothing happened and so I gave up.

I later learned that getting a lawn to grow from dirt is a TON of fuckin work and then I looked up and realized the reason my back yard looks like a goddamn forest floor is because the trees block all the light and a lot of moisture from getting through.

my kids just play in the dirt. they can dig holes anywhere as long as they fill them back in. it rules.

trees are good as they hold soil and prevent mud explosions

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

my kids just play in the dirt. they can dig holes anywhere as long as they fill them back in. it rules.

I was able to do that as a kid and it was the fuckin' best, good parent.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Stalks burn pretty good, but goddamnit, Bob hasn't cut his yet and it snowed yesterday....

gently caress it, his field catches, that's his insurances' problem.

\/ Phoenix shouldn't exist.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

flying into Phoenix Arizona is completely jawdropping when you look out the window for 300 miles of yellow brown and then suddenly an enormous metropolis of hypercolor green as far as you can see

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Isn't it the same deal with Israel, something about making the desert bloom by stealing the water from their neighbors?

I think fruit trees growing in unfenced front yards are good praxis. Most will produce far more fruit than the owners can consume, so nbd if people grab a few here and there.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Panfilo posted:

Isn't it the same deal with Israel, something about making the desert bloom by stealing the water from their neighbors?

I think fruit trees growing in unfenced front yards are good praxis. Most will produce far more fruit than the owners can consume, so nbd if people grab a few here and there.

there are some good websites that will give you maps of municipal and publicly accessible fruits and vegetables

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Panfilo posted:

when the jews returned to israel they first developed what was swampland into farms. only recently have they been irrigating desert land, and they use desalinated water for that.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Panfilo posted:

On a semi-related note, just saw this:

quote:

Ancient Indigenous forest gardens still yield bounty 150 years later: study

Byline: A first-of-its-kind study by SFU finds that Indigenous forest gardens filled with fruit and nut trees are still thriving, at least 150 years later

Forest gardening is a common method of food cultivation and agroforestry in Indigenous communities around the world, especially in tropical regions. But the findings published in Ecology and Society mark the first time these lush, open, orchard-like plots have been studied in North America.

In their management of these ancient forest gardens, the researchers write, Indigenous peoples practiced controlled burning, coppicing (encouraging growth by cutting back trees or shrubs to ground level), fertilizing, long-distance transplanting, pruning and weeding.

Despite being unmanaged for more than a century, evidence of these historical practices can still be seen at remote archaeological villages. This resilience is the most surprising aspect of the research, Armstrong told Popular Science. “On the Northwest coast, conifer forests are stubborn. They will reestablish themselves 20 to 30 years after a disturbance.”

With such a varied mix of species occupying different niches, the researchers said, there’s less room for new species to take root. Their effective use of space — “there’s a canopy, a sub-canopy, a bush-shrub layer, a vine layer going up and around, and then a herbaceous layer” — is likely central to their longevity.

Neat stuff!

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
lawn is a gently caress
I am grass man
100,000,000 dead weeds

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

euphronius posted:

trees are good as they hold soil and prevent mud explosions

This is gonna be good. How do trees stop you making GBS threads your pants? I really want to hear this one.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

inferis posted:

flying into Phoenix Arizona is completely jawdropping when you look out the window for 300 miles of yellow brown and then suddenly an enormous metropolis of hypercolor green as far as you can see

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Ahh, you say you despise capitalism and yet you bought a house in which the original owner installed sprinklers and you dont want them damaged by a telecom company's giant digging machine... I am very smart.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/SabrinaNC9/status/1390009290619068425

when and where did this bizarre phrasing become standardized?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

inferis posted:

i wonder if they sent the staff that did turn up home without pay

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Jel Shaker posted:

i wonder if they sent the staff that did turn up home without pay

there’s replies that mention they pay $2.15/hr

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

inferis posted:

Most of the discourse I've seen around signs like this is about how they should pay better wages if they want people to work for them (which is entirely true), but ignores how loving weird it is that the majority of these signs all use the exact same phrasing that seems designed to drum up sympathy for the poor business owners and the valiant workers who actually showed up for starvation wages while subtly shifting public opinion against those dastardly layabouts who refuse to work for poo poo pay during a pandemic. What's even weirder is the picture in that tweet of a hand written sign using the same phrasing instead of all the other ones I've seen that look like they were printed off from a .pdf sent out to all minimum wage business owners.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

yeah where is the petit bourgeois class teaching people how to write those signs

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

inferis posted:

yeah where is the petit bourgeois class teaching people how to write those signs

facebook and twitter, it's literally a meme

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Yeah thats right wing Facebook meme repetition

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

Ahh, you say you despise capitalism and yet you bought a house in which the original owner installed sprinklers and you dont want them damaged by a telecom company's giant digging machine... I am very smart.

how much is big lawn paying you

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Lawns use a lot of water, but Australian magpies love them, so it is impossible to say if they are good or bad

Learning towards good because I love magpies that much

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

inferis posted:

is this like a clear channel talking point or something

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

u mad bro

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

GotLag posted:

Lawns use a lot of water, but Australian magpies love them, so it is impossible to say if they are good or bad

Aren't Australian magpies like... Violently aggressive?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Gee, I wonder why people aren't eager to work for peanuts during a pandemic that could kill them or leave them in medical debt.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Thanatosian posted:

Aren't Australian magpies like... Violently aggressive?

All of Australia is violently aggressive. Magpies aren't racist so they're an improvement on the people.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

It's not my fault I have to whip these slaves so much, slaves these days just don't want to work anymore! If you think about it I'm really a hero for trying to restore the natural order of things.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Magpies are super smart. My wifes crazy aunt has fed the ones around here a kg of premium mince every day for like 10 years.

Because of that, they are super friendly and no one gets swooped during nesting season.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

GotLag posted:

:hfive:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

oh gently caress, i forgot my new-ish neighbor is slavishly devoted to his lawn. i saw him bring terf in, which makes sense here in NH as we have super sandy soil. big, lush, green lawns are tough to come by, even though we don't often lack water. he's out there every weekend with a trowel putting down pavers around his lawn

this lawn guy laying terf down? we live in an apartment complex, though it is townhouse style. his lawn is maybe 30' x 40'. so he has paid god knows how much money and spent who knows how many hours landscaping someone else's property. lawn guys are weirder than most perverts because most perverts don't make us watch their degeneracy

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Eat This Glob posted:

lawn guys are weirder than most perverts because most perverts don't make us watch their degeneracy

lol

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
lol @ the dude seriously calling lawns white supremacy.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I think they were just making jokes on the internet

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Eat This Glob posted:

oh gently caress, i forgot my new-ish neighbor is slavishly devoted to his lawn. i saw him bring terf in, which makes sense here in NH as we have super sandy soil. big, lush, green lawns are tough to come by, even though we don't often lack water. he's out there every weekend with a trowel putting down pavers around his lawn

this lawn guy laying terf down? we live in an apartment complex, though it is townhouse style. his lawn is maybe 30' x 40'. so he has paid god knows how much money and spent who knows how many hours landscaping someone else's property. lawn guys are weirder than most perverts because most perverts don't make us watch their degeneracy

Wouldn’t that violate the lease??? Is it like condos so it’s possible he owns his unit or a straight up apartment complex where it’s all owned by the same person

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

chaleski posted:

I think they were just making jokes on the internet

I thought that poo poo was outlawed along with horny posting?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

inferis posted:

Lol at this tweet further down.

https://twitter.com/SabrinaNC9/status/1390014017389965320

"We asked if they would pay a living wage and they said no"

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Wouldn’t that violate the lease??? Is it like condos so it’s possible he owns his unit or a straight up apartment complex where it’s all owned by the same person

Condo/townhouses are basically duplexes/triplexes. You can buy them, what you do with the lawn is up to you and the HOA, but largely the HOA. Usually you get a slice a little wider than the structure, enough room to have a gate into a fenced back yard. Think 1000 sq ft two story, maybe 700 sq ft footprint for the structure from the divider, another 300 sq ft driveway, maybe 1500 sq ft lawn. In the case of a center unit, a back yard and front yard, no side.

Something like this:

Two driveways, fence dividing back yard. These are "townhouses" in lots of the country. That one particular is in like, an old folks tax haven in Tennessee and people pay $350-400k to get into that neighborhood. Those are larger than my example prior, 6000-7000 sq ft lots, two car garages, 1600+ sq ft inside.

I had to "survey" that neighborhood before some blasting a long while back. Took pictures of every home exterior and about 70% of interiors (liability protection for blasting companies). That neighborhood is basically all boomers.

CRUSTY MINGE has issued a correction as of 03:28 on May 7, 2021

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMxzkBdzTNU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Number