Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

more falafel please posted:

Are those fries? Onions?

White asparagus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

more falafel please posted:

Are those fries? Onions?

White asparagus

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

zedprime posted:

I believe you are referring to the titular spargel.

oh ok, yeah. would

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

edit: ugh friggin loopy as hell apparently. Double posting instead of editing.

.Z. has a new favorite as of 20:26 on May 6, 2021

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

edit: twice. I did it twice...

Maybe I should get some more sleep.

Some actual content:

Who wants some charcoal and iron ice cream?
https://soranews24.com/2021/04/28/w...-test%e3%80%91/

.Z. has a new favorite as of 20:28 on May 6, 2021

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

.Z. posted:

Some actual content:

For the pica sufferers among us.

Clone Farmer
Aug 28, 2006

I'm very, very certain this is fettuccini pasta made with chickpea flour. Looks weird, tastes weird, has a weird texture.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

.Z. posted:

Some actual content:

:pastryno:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
love to eat gimmick food that could possibly deactivate my medication, causing me to have a psychotic episode.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

titties posted:

When i was young i would sometimes spend a Saturday afternoon at my local round table pizza. They had a little game room with 5 or 6 arcade cabs, and it was a nice change of pace from the selection at the arcade.

Most Saturdays i had already spent half my allowance on comics and the other half was about to be fed into the games so i was not trying to buy any food.

On those days lunch was however many handsfull of bacos i could steal from the salad bar while nobody was at the register.

Following the terror attacks of September 11th, 2001 i

Oh no he died mid-post

empty sea posted:

Best thing I ever remember about school lunches were those giant pickles I could buy sometimes in middle school and the seasoned potato wedges that were served with almost every meal in high school. I'm almost 100% sure the potato wedges were the only fresh thing we got besides fruit and they were so good that we hid them under the other food. It got to be so bad that the cash lady would almost pat us down just so she could charge us an extra fee.

I had a lot of lunches where I just got 2x servings of potato wedges and ketchup because it was better than whatever else was available.

Those square pizzas go for about $120 for 96 of them and if I had the freezer room I don't think I could resist

Truly the allure of breadtangles of pizza is a mighty one to resist

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Clone Farmer posted:

I'm very, very certain this is fettuccini pasta made with chickpea flour. Looks weird, tastes weird, has a weird texture.
Oh, that's why the three varieties of chickpea pasta were the only types of pasta on the shelves during that one peak COVID grocery-store run.

e: Here's an Australian brand with that weird texture:

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 21:17 on May 6, 2021

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cppOojKBNko

"Like you're making a Dorito tea"

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

I remember this scene from the first Star Wars but I dont remember the bed of fries. Must be one of George's later edits

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

the depiction of food in star wars is so weird and very thread-appropriate, it's interesting how appetite is almost universally shown as a negative trait and feasts have ominous tones--jabba's gross barge buffet, the betrayal on cloud city, anakin and padme's lovely dates. eating well just isn't a part of the star wars fantasy the way it is with, like, lord of the rings or harry potter

and of course speaking of school food there's the amazing shot of the cafeteria full of clones eating from empty trays

also apparently chewbacca will just straight up eat carrion and everybody's cool with it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Rey's expanding muffins were cool though

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

quote:

Klatooine paddy frogs first appeared in the film Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi. Although made out of rubber in the scene where Jabba ate one, in other appearances it was portrayed by a real frog.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

DoombatINC posted:

I have never been more certain of placing a name to a face than I am of that being called "Texas Style Nachos"

“Irish Nachos” because it has potato chips and not tortilla chips. Probably trying for something like this.

:itwaspoo:

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 23:01 on May 6, 2021

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

HookedOnChthonics posted:

also apparently chewbacca will just straight up eat carrion and everybody's cool with it

are you going to stop him? "let the wookie win."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Indeed, I'd let him carrion with his meal

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

.Z. posted:

Some actual content:

This was Mystique's back up plan in X2: X-Men United in case she failed to seduce/knock out the fat guard.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

uber_stoat posted:

love to eat gimmick food that could possibly deactivate my medication, causing me to have a psychotic episode.

The gently caress is the blackened poo poo, or rather what was it pre-carbonization

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

aphid_licker posted:

The gently caress is the blackened poo poo, or rather what was it pre-carbonization

The gimmick is charcoal.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

HookedOnChthonics posted:

and of course speaking of school food there's the amazing shot of the cafeteria full of clones eating from empty trays
Well, there's a cafeteria scene in Bad Batch where all the clones have food, at least. (~23m into ep 1)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Food is a bit of a weird thing with Star Wars, because they never really did decide much about it. You have to figure a balance between familiar and alien, and really in all the movies it's only ever a background detail so it doesn't matter much. I'm not sure there even were solids in A New Hope, just the blue milk.

Mark Hamill posted:

Well, the original blue milk was what they call long life milk, which you get at camping stores because you don’t have to refrigerate it. And we were in North Africa.

So it has additives – they put blue food colouring in it – and it was really ghastly. Oily and sweet and euch! Triggered your gag reflex. But I said, “Look – if they gave me blue milk, you bet I’m going to drink it on camera, because what other chance am I going to get?” So there’s an indication that I’m an underrated actor – I gulped it and acted like I liked it without vomiting.

In Empire Strikes Back, Luke's got some rations. Seems a little weird that he has just a whole hardware box full of stuff that isn't apportioned into individual meals, but maybe that's just one more thing in this broken, run-down galaxy that isn't planned right. Maybe different species have wildly different caloric and nutrient requirements.

Yoda's curious enough about it to take a nibble, but later Luke sure loves that stew or gruel or whatever Yoda was cooking in his place. I don't think there was ever actually a shot of something being in the bowl, just they act like there's something in there.

I think there's more food in the prequels. Jar Jar tries to eat a raw hanging frog while walking through Tatooine. Other than that, there's a lot of scenes that take place around dinner tables, although the food's not in focus. I guess there's also a bit where Anakin levitates a pear.

And then I think Dave Filoni has a thing about fruit. There's a whole episode of Clone Wars that revolves around getting the striped orbs atop this cake. Doesn't really look much like food in this picture honestly.

In Rebels, there's a whole running thing with the "meilouron" melon here, that looks more realistic and plausible as a fruit.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Luke choking down foul blue milk is one of the only good things about those movies.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

uber_stoat posted:

Luke choking down foul blue milk is one of the only good things about those movies.

That milk is clearly green

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mark Hamill posted:

The green milk was coconut water, which they enhanced in post with that green colour. Much more tasty and refreshing.

This man is an actor.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

uber_stoat posted:

The Bloop posted:

That milk is clearly green

Yeah the blue milk described was from the moisture farm scenes. The island seal creature milk in the Last Jedi probably tasted better.

e;
https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/1147940676551811075?s=20

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder what it smelled like haha

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They "dyed" it in post-production? Wouldn't a couple dang drops of food coloring have been easier?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Data Graham posted:

They "dyed" it in post-production? Wouldn't a couple dang drops of food coloring have been easier?

You gotta buy the dye, then you gotta have people to do the dying, then people to make sure the green shade is the same through separate takes for continuity etc

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SlothfulCobra posted:

In Empire Strikes Back, Luke's got some rations. Seems a little weird that he has just a whole hardware box full of stuff that isn't apportioned into individual meals, but maybe that's just one more thing in this broken, run-down galaxy that isn't planned right. Maybe different species have wildly different caloric and nutrient requirements.

I'm the orange Tic-tacs, arguably the most baffling of Tic-tac flavors

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm the orange Tic-tacs, arguably the most baffling of Tic-tac flavors

there's coca-cola flavored tic tacs these days.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Candy fruit squares on the top left, yogurt chips on the bottom right and I guess maybe supplemental vitamins next to the orange tictacs. Unless that's just more tictacs.

The rest is like bread and jerky type stuff for proteins and carbs.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

Those rations look like the meal Snoopy and Woodstock "cooked" in Charlie Brown Thanksgiving.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Deep Space Nine made a very good point about food in Star Trek; it's important to a culture. Hasparat? Very spicy, despite basically being creamcheese pinwheels with green pepper. Going to the Klingon restaurant where the chef sings Klingon opera? Dinner and a show. Papa Sisko's jambalaya? It's important, culturally.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

angerbeet posted:

Deep Space Nine made a very good point about food in Star Trek; it's important to a culture. Hasparat? Very spicy, despite basically being creamcheese pinwheels with green pepper. Going to the Klingon restaurant where the chef sings Klingon opera? Dinner and a show. Papa Sisko's jambalaya? It's important, culturally.

Yamok sauce? Easily tradeable for self-sealing stembolts.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

angerbeet posted:

The Gagh has to be fresh and squirming. Don't let them serve you the dead stuff.

e;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Gagh.