Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I guess no one remembers that guys mini meltdown?

drat :smith:

I remember :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

repiv posted:

It depends on the game, if it's DRM-free and doesn't have a hard dependency on any Steam/EGS platform services then you can usually just copy the install directory elsewhere and run it standalone

Otherwise you have to get into :filez: territory with cracks and/or Steam emulators

steam emulators in particular are pretty good to be familiar with anyway because switching into offline mode can get real sketchy at times.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is a Steam emulator :filez:? I'd be interested in it just as an alternative to running Steam for games I own.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I got the joke

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

doctorfrog posted:

Is a Steam emulator :filez:? I'd be interested in it just as an alternative to running Steam for games I own.

it's definitely on the border of it, probably wouldn't risk it on these forums imo

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I remember

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

dogstile posted:

I have bought precisely two things on EGS, satisfactory and WWZ.

Got my hours out of both :shrug: Subnautica is what got me in. What a beautiful game.
Satisfactory, Maneater (eh), THPS1+2 for me.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Pine is now free on EGS, I've never heard of it but it has decent reviews on Steam, mostly positive. Lion's Song is coming next week.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
While this thread is here for the free games and not much more, here's a small glimpse into the financial arrangements of EGS free games if anyone is interested:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/05/epic-thinks-egs-could-make-up-35-50-of-the-pc-gaming-market-by-2024/

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

Tagichatn posted:

Pine is now free on EGS, I've never heard of it but it has decent reviews on Steam, mostly positive. Lion's Song is coming next week.

Can't comment on Pine, but Lion's Song was lovely and surprisingly poignant. I highly recommend it if you dig point n clicks.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

pine is cool, a little breath-of-the-wild-y but not actually that engaging. i enjoyed it at the $20 price point.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
also free:
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1390334340970663938

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Coolguye posted:

pine is cool, a little breath-of-the-wild-y

And sold

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I forgot.

:negative:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

i'm willing to forget

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i will just chime in here to say sludge life was one of the most pleasant surprises I've come across in my free game collection. when i first sat down to play it, i thought the 1990s-esque elements of its platforming mechanics and its social commentary would mean i'd be turning it off soon, but i soon learned these aspects are a lot more carefully considered than they appeared at first glance. the mechanics and storytelling go in a lot of unexpected, funky directions if you give them a chance

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

https://twitter.com/LukeBK/status/1390012717776478209

How epic

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

can we please rehash (lol) the whole argument about giving your email address to epic

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's just one more example of how you should use a password saving app with different randomly generated passwords for every account.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

can we please rehash (lol) the whole argument about giving your email address to epic

Lol it wasn't epic

The dude was complaining about giving his email to the humble newsletter

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Big if true, but so far the only source seems to be an (automated?) alert from some Norton anti-phishing service. If the leak is real it's a little odd that only Norton seems to know about it.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's just one more example of how you should use a password saving app with different randomly generated passwords for every account.

do this anyway though

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

How did you even find this tweet? It's got zero traction.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Waltzing Along posted:

It's asking me to sign up for their newsletter. ie: provide them with my info. It's not like a free game on epic where you just click it and its added to your account. Having to give them information makes it, to me, not free.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Forgive me for having doubts about this content farm guy with one reply to the tweet and no other engagements

But yes use a password manager, it's not worth the risk with anything

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

fez_machine posted:

How did you even find this tweet? It's got zero traction.

https://mobile.twitter.com/search?q=epicgames%20data&f=live

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Looks like Norton started alerting people over 24 hours ago, and no other sources have corroborated the leak in that time

If the database had shown up on darknet markets surely someone else would have noticed by now?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

repiv posted:

Looks like Norton started alerting people over 24 hours ago, and no other sources have corroborated the leak in that time

If the database had shown up on darknet markets surely someone else would have noticed by now?

especially if it's "a hundred million accounts"

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

So you just happened to be searching "epicgames data" and saw the tweet?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

fez_machine posted:

So you just happened to be searching "epicgames data" and saw the tweet?

Well with the apple+epic lawsuit the search doesn't seem weird.

But if that many people were compromised there would have to be more than one random tweet right?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Can you recommend me a good cross platform option?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Len posted:

But if that many people were compromised there would have to be more than one random tweet right?

There's more than one random tweet, but they're all along the lines of "I got an automated alert from <identity protection service> saying epicgames.com got popped"

It seems likely that a security breach tracking service did put out on alert on epicgames.com but it may have been an error, nobody else has reported anything

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Social Animal posted:

Bitwarden

The General
Mar 4, 2007

This is what I use too. Works nice for me.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I have no idea how norton does their protection, but it could easily be something like

dumbass@yahoo.com uses norton
dumbass@yahoo.com signs in to yahoo/linkedin/target with password letmein
dumbass@yahoo.com later also signs up to epic with password letmein
norton finds some dump which contains email address dumbass@yahoo.com and password letmein
norton tells dumbass that his epic account may be compromised

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

~Coxy posted:

I have no idea how norton does their protection, but it could easily be something like

dumbass@yahoo.com uses norton
dumbass@yahoo.com signs in to yahoo/linkedin/target with password letmein
dumbass@yahoo.com later also signs up to epic with password letmein
norton finds some dump which contains email address dumbass@yahoo.com and password letmein
norton tells dumbass that his epic account may be compromised

why did you doxx me??!

MODS?!?!

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

There already was a data breach in late 2018, these notifications might be related to that one.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Social Animal posted:

Bitwarden is the current recommendation for pretty much everyone. Open source, good security, option to self host if you don't want it on their cloud.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bitwarden rules. Make sure you do two factor and you’re good

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Holy crap I just changed my Epic password last week to a strong one. What timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Thanks guys will get Bitwarden tonight!