Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
The clue having 1977 in it made it a gimme for me. There aren't many albums that intentionally use British English.

Then again, I whiffed on queue so what do I know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

If you're that un-confident in the category (although who wouldn't be confident with Classic Albums?), at least bet zero. Then when you actually know the answer, you can write down nothing and you don't look like a huge idiot on the wager.

Even if he was hoping for a triple stumper, why would you bet 900 when you're only up by 600? Arrrrrghhhhhh :mad:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
It wasn't even a situation where second place could bet to reach first place + $1 to lock out third place. Just a tragic bid.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Zesty posted:

Why was that early question designed to poo poo on black people? The Rastafarianism one.

The writing has been really loving awful for a while now.
Can you explain what was wrong with this question? I missed the episode so I don't know if there was some banter outside of what is recorded on j-archive.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah I have to admit I'm a bit confused on that myself.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

I've watched the episode now, and the answer appears to be 'absolutely nothing'

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
What happened tonight? So many missed easy answers and Kalee clearly got discouraged in the first round and gave up completely in the second round

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

What is a calzone, when you really think about it?

Either I’m even worse at geography than I thought, or that was a bizarrely difficult final jeopardy.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

What is a calzone, when you really think about it?

Either I’m even worse at geography than I thought, or that was a bizarrely difficult final jeopardy.

If you know anything about Andorra you know it's between Spain and France. But yes, not a gimme.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I overthought it because I figured there was no way it could be Andorra, since it way to obvious as it’s literally a principality whose co-princes are the heads of state of France and Spain, which it is sandwiched between. Was so obvious in hindsight.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

What happened tonight? So many missed easy answers and Kalee clearly got discouraged in the first round and gave up completely in the second round

[Category about things named for saints]

"Burmese mountain dog"

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I said Luxembourg what with Aachen being like less than 100km from there. Boo.

That sure was a game. I felt bad for Kalee though, I kept hoping she'd get out of the red and be around for final.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I said Belgium assuming Charlemagne didn't go down there since he founded what became Holy Roman Empire which didn't have it. Forgot about the Carolingian Empire which did.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I knew the FJ but that was entirely because I'm a geography/world politics trivia nerd and the whole 'co-prince' dynamic is a fun thing to know about a country like that (that's why the clue mentioned the bishop, the princes are a bishop from spain and the president of france).

Weird episode all around though yea, between the middle lady just being...really weird and crashing and burning almost instantly to the dude on the end saying poo poo like 'calzone' it was just...weird poo poo today!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Apparently one of the affiliates showed final before double jeopardy tonight too, lol

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also Mr Hookshot jokingly answered “Vito Calzone” to that answer and I feel like someone needs to make THAT movie.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Island Nation posted:

I said Belgium assuming Charlemagne didn't go down there since he founded what became Holy Roman Empire which didn't have it. Forgot about the Carolingian Empire which did.

I said Belgium, too, except in Dutch. I also learned that gin is a Dutch creation, which was fun for me, being half-Dutch and drinking a gin+tonic!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

"Care the plate is hot" *ignores waitress* *bursts into flames from 900degree calzone*

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I would figure that Jeopardy contestants would know who the first President and Vice President were.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I would figure that Jeopardy contestants would know who the first President and Vice President were.

That was an amazing gaffe on the contestants' part. The Constitution being ratified in July 1788 and Washington and Adams taking office in 1789 was drilled into me in, like, third grade.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Timby posted:

That was an amazing gaffe on the contestants' part. The Constitution being ratified in July 1788 and Washington and Adams taking office in 1789 was drilled into me in, like, third grade.

...were they all Canadian? :canada:

E: seriously, studying for J! tests if you're up here is mostly "read American history on Wikipedia", because it's not covered at all in school in the depth you'd need to be competitive. I learned that most US presidents were absolute monsters in the course of reading about them!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Timby posted:

I liked that one, clearly thinking 1776 was when the first president was elected, went to the next president with Adams/Jefferson, but then the third did some weird mashup with Washington/Jefferson

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The hell was the logic behind the defending champions Final Jeopardy bet?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The hell was the logic behind the defending champions Final Jeopardy bet?

One of those "hopefully they get it wrong" bets. It's worked and I remember once it hosed over a third place person who wagered correctly but it's never the right move from first.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Books from the Bible isn't exactly a easy category for most people. I fluked into the answer myself

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
In an 1851 speech this formerly enslaved abolitionist & a feminist wondered, "Ain't I a woman?"
Sojourner Truth

loving jesus, Jeopardy. She spoke dutch as a primary language and was well educated but her speech (and her entire life story) was turned into a racist caricature because it sells better.

https://www.thesojournertruthproject.com/compare-the-speeches?fbclid=IwAR1lrCyncrgUpF8Wy1c4uqGsciU1mhRRkqYa5Xi5TKuWTT7UxErYij7ciJE

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Zesty posted:

In an 1851 speech this formerly enslaved abolitionist & a feminist wondered, "Ain't I a woman?"
Sojourner Truth

loving jesus, Jeopardy. She spoke dutch as a primary language and was well educated but her speech (and her entire life story) was turned into a racist caricature because it sells better.

https://www.thesojournertruthproject.com/compare-the-speeches?fbclid=IwAR1lrCyncrgUpF8Wy1c4uqGsciU1mhRRkqYa5Xi5TKuWTT7UxErYij7ciJE

Wow, I've heard of this speech dozens of times, listened to an African-American history teacher lecture about Sojourner Truth's life, and had no idea this was the case. Thank you for sharing this.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Zesty posted:

Sojourner Truth

quote:

Well, chillen, whar dar’s so much racket dar must be som’ting out o’kilter.

I tink dat, ’twixt de niggers of de South and de women at de Norf, all a-talking ’bout rights, de white men will be in a fix pretty soon.

:stare:

Reminds me of this The Onion piece

Ask An Elderly Black Woman As Depicted By A Sophomore Creative Writing Major

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Also, a later clue characterized Columbus as "a pioneer of progress" :jerkbag:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Zesty posted:

Also, a later clue characterized Columbus as "a pioneer of progress" :jerkbag:

Wasn’t that a direct quote?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm just exclaiming my jerkoff motion.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

so what was the deal with the rastafarian clue? bunch of people asked

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah that Sojourner Truth thing is definitely dodgy but you still haven't explained what was wrong with the clue about Rastafarianism. Did they have their facts wrong?

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

Zesty posted:

Sojourner Truth

Holy poo poo, thanks for sharing this.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

zakharov posted:

Yeah that Sojourner Truth thing is definitely dodgy but you still haven't explained what was wrong with the clue about Rastafarianism. Did they have their facts wrong?

I don't think we're ever going to get a response on that

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

christmas boots posted:

I don't think we're ever going to get a response on that

If you check their post history they only come in to make complaints of varying validity and then vanish until the next one.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Jeffpardy edit with guest hosts.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zero One posted:

If you check their post history they only come in to make complaints of varying validity and then vanish until the next one.

Why won’t I explain subtle racism throughout a category to hostile people like this? :iiam:

But yeah, let’s be lovely to each other over criticisms of a TV show. Real healthy thread.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Zesty posted:

Why won’t I explain subtle racism throughout a category to hostile people like this? :iiam:

But yeah, let’s be lovely to each other over criticisms of a TV show. Real healthy thread.

I thought my post was pretty respectful.

zakharov posted:

I'm genuinely confused at this comment. Here's the clue:

In deference to Leviticus 21:5, many adherents of this religion sport dreadlocks

What is Rastafarianism?

I am having trouble seeing the racism here but I'm open to being told what I'm missing.

I like learning and I'm genuinely missing the subtle racism here. What do you find offensive about it?

You quoted the person being snarky to you but ignored people asking in good faith what you were talking about.

zakharov fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

zakharov posted:

I thought my post was pretty respectful.

Come back to a thread to a bunch of responses, including this guy who made several posts on it, ending in this one, before I even got back to the thread.

Orzo posted:

I've watched the episode now, and the answer appears to be 'absolutely nothing'

Think, "meh. We just had a bunch of nazi defenders in the thread. Like I care to get into it when they're starting from here." Let it go because I just don't have the spoons for this.

DAYS later, same guy decides he's going to be obsessive about it.

Then this winner:

Zero One posted:

Totally hostile and just a tad creepy. So sorry I have opinions on betting strategy and poorly worded clues. I just don't have it in me to be your acceptable level of white noise.

Stop being snippy and lovely. It's the loving jeopardy thread.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 13, 2021