Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will/did you start SaGa Frontier Remastered with?
Riki
Blue
Red
T260g
Emilia
Asellus
Lute
Fuse
View Results

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So question before I buy: Does Blue's scenario still have no ending?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

NewMars posted:

It's still the same ending. As that was the intended ending all along. The twin duel is intended to be the final battle. Everything after is a playable epilogue/ending.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

NewMars posted:

Fuse’s casefile for Blue tells you what happened after the ending. Blue’s scenario itself still ends the same way - that bit was, in fact, exactly what they intended and not an unfinished piece.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

T260G aka EggNoG finished, now on to Asellus. Should be fun, I always avoided mystics back in the original because they can't spark cool techs, so I'm making an effort to use her mystic stuff this time around.

This game is fun but being able to double or triple battle speed is a godsend. Crazy that I had the patience for the grind without it when I was younger.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Snake Maze posted:

Fuse’s casefile for Blue tells you what happened after the ending.

That's neat. Intended or not, I get why a lot of folks find Blue's ending unfulfilling.

I want to jump into Fuse ASAP, but I'm resisting the urge to do so and clearing out the other characters first. Only really dreading Riki, which I'll probably end up saving for last before moving onto Fuse.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snake Maze posted:

Fuse’s casefile for Blue tells you what happened after the ending.

Something I find interesting about this is that it's different for Blue and Rouge. It's kind of cool how, even after merging, they're two pretty different people, because they make very different decisions at the end.

Sherry Bahm posted:

That's neat. Intended or not, I get why a lot of folks find Blue's ending unfulfilling.

I want to jump into Fuse ASAP, but I'm resisting the urge to do so and clearing out the other characters first. Only really dreading Riki, which I'll probably end up saving for last before moving onto Fuse.

Honestly, I did Fuse's case for each character right after finishing that character's scenario and I thought it worked pretty well. Fuse has seven different scenarios that are all pretty short and breezy, and they feel like fun little codas on the scenario you just played through.

It's up to you if you do Fuse's case files all at once or just do each one as soon as you finish that character's main scenario, I think both work well.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Where do you find Mesathim to re-recuit her on Asellus's scenario? I've done the Dark Labyrinth and gone back to the town you first meet her in but can't find her anywhere

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Started doing Fuse's boss rush and honestly, outside of glitch abuse, the real bullshit spell in this game is Time Leap. Sure, Overdrive can give a character eight turns in a row every round if you use the glitches it has, but if you're trying to fight "legit," you can get a pretty similar result just having a max-mobility Time Lord spam Time Leap.

multijoe posted:

Where do you find Mesathim to re-recuit her on Asellus's scenario? I've done the Dark Labyrinth and gone back to the town you first meet her in but can't find her anywhere

She should be in the pool after where you fight the Devil Squid, like for everyone else, if I remember correctly.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Reporting back: the seventh boss of Fuse's boss rush is no joke. I'm doing Blue's and he's too fast to Time Leap. Just absolutely ate my team alive.

Gonna need to get more creative on this one apparently.

Edit: yeah holy poo poo I don't see how this is possible. Even a max mobility Time Lord can't outspeed him to Time Leap. Blue can't survive long enough to do anything but repeatedly put Reviver on himself and then die. I ran out of WP and the boss was nowhere close to dead.

I mean I know it's possible, lots of people have done it by now, but christ, if my current team isn't strong enough I dunno how many hours of huge slime grinding it's going to take to get to the point where they are.

I'm probably just going to pull the ripcord on this attempt and try again with a different final boss, maybe Orlouge, he's a lot more susceptible to brute force. Not quite ready for Abyss Lord in superboss mode yet, apparently.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 6, 2021

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Harrow posted:

Started doing Fuse's boss rush and honestly, outside of glitch abuse, the real bullshit spell in this game is Time Leap. Sure, Overdrive can give a character eight turns in a row every round if you use the glitches it has, but if you're trying to fight "legit," you can get a pretty similar result just having a max-mobility Time Lord spam Time Leap.

She should be in the pool after where you fight the Devil Squid, like for everyone else, if I remember correctly.

Thanks!

Kinu Nishimura posted:

Hey there, SaGamers! im never saying that again Okay, so like, I've been playing this and I just finished up a full-clear of Asellus's scenario with all the new content, and it is possible that the Furdo and Bio Lab quests alter your ending affinity—but, this is an important note, with these conditions, you can talk to Rastaban to lock in your ending for the Mystic ending, then turn around and fight the Griffin to get the absorb/monster skills and rescue Gina, and you'll still get the Mystic ending, which as we all know is the best Asellus ending. I'm pretty darn sure this wasn't the case in the original, so have fun with the lesbian vampire!

Sorry for the stream of questions, where do you meet Rastaban decide the ending? Do you need to clear all of the optional side content to trigger the encounter?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

multijoe posted:

Sorry for the stream of questions, where do you meet Rastaban decide the ending? Do you need to clear all of the optional side content to trigger the encounter?

That's pretty much at the very end. The Rastaban encounter they're talking about is on the stairs up to the final boss, after two other boss encounters.

Also I think what they're describing is also how it worked in the original version. Specifically, talking to Rastaban in Chateau Aiguille in the endgame is the checkpoint for what ending you get. Before you talk to Rastaban on the stairs, you're free to turn back and do whatever you need to in order to get the ending you want. That's how it worked in the original, too, so I don't think the extra content actually changed anything with Asellus's endings.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Asellus can indeed spark moves while in mystic mode, in case anybody wanted confirmation

Edit: I'm kind of confused about her mystic mode in general. I assume the intention is that you don't get the stat boosts while in human mode? The stat screen doesn't show them, in any case. In most fights you can't use the abilities on your mystic equipment until you use one and enter mystic mode, but against the pursuing bosses you can use the abilities right away it seems, unless that was just the one. I sparked the move in this fight after entering mystic mode, so maybe it is a glitch.

Also, looking in my abilities list shows no mastery because of the mystic weapons filling three slots, but in the stats screen it shows I have mastery. Moves aren't cheaper though so I assume the move list is accurate.

Hobojim fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 7, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For anyone interested in doing the Fuse boss rush with the powered-up final boss at the end: don't do Blue's first. I thought it'd be a good one to do, since you get Life magic so you have an extra healer who can cast Reviver, but holy poo poo that boss is rough when he's powered up.

From what I've seen, Asellus and Riki's final bosses are the easiest ones to do in super mode because both can be brute forced--if you have a high damage team, you can take them out before they're able to wear you down. Red's and Lute's seem to be the hardest, which terrifies me because Blue's is insanely hard.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 7, 2021

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Harrow posted:

For anyone interested in doing the Fuse boss rush with the powered-up final boss at the end: don't do Blue's first. I thought it'd be a good one to do, since you get Life magic so you have an extra healer who can cast Reviver, but holy poo poo that boss is rough when he's powered up.

From what I've seen, Asellus and Riki's final bosses are the easiest ones to do in super mode because both can be brute forced--if you have a high damage team, you can take them out before they're able to wear you down. Red's and Lute's seem to be the hardest, which terrifies me because Blue's is insanely hard.

Question about this since I'm an Asellus playthrough- if you do Blue's boss first in the case file, does that unlock Life Magic for each of the subsequent fights for him? I was actually thinking of leaving Red's for last because of Alkaiser, but that's making me rethink things.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kagon posted:

Question about this since I'm an Asellus playthrough- if you do Blue's boss first in the case file, does that unlock Life Magic for each of the subsequent fights for him? I was actually thinking of leaving Red's for last because of Alkaiser, but that's making me rethink things.

No, it's down to which case file you do. Blue (or Rouge) doesn't get Life magic in anything other than his own case file. Similarly, Red doesn't get Alkaiser mode unless you're in his case file, and Riki doesn't get the rings except in his. Same for T260G's Type8 body.

The case file determines which boss will be the last one (and therefore the powered-up one) and which protagonist gets their special feature (if any).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I'm honestly surprised Asellus's final boss is one of the easier onces since, brute force or not, the final phase of that fight can be rough and a powered up version of it sounds like hell.

I'm not surprised Red's is one of the harder fights. The first time I beat his scenario on PSX my team wasn't especially powerful and the final gauntlet took so drat long and I died to the last boss a few times.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm honestly surprised Asellus's final boss is one of the easier onces since, brute force or not, the final phase of that fight can be rough and a powered up version of it sounds like hell.

I think the thing with Orlouge is that he just doesn't have a ton of HP like some of the other super final bosses do. With a superboss team full of DSC spammers and Shadow Servant + Tower nukers, you can take him out before he can really mess you up in that last phase. You can probably outright skip that phase if you save Blue/Rouge's 200+ JP Tower for the end and just dump 60k+ damage on him in a single action.

Part of the danger with a lot of the super final bosses is that they just have so much HP that you're in danger of running out of WP before they die. I'm planning to grind up my team's JP up and teach some more characters Tower just so I have some nukes to fall back on once everyone's WP runs out. Might also need to grind for some Dullahan Shields and Genbu Shields (you need water immunity for Blue's final boss and your armor slots are at a real premium).

Something else that can probably help is having Time Lord using Time Twister every turn instead of Time Leap. Most of the superbosses are too fast to be reliably Time Leaped, but you can instead use Time Twister to give one of your attackers a free second DSC every round. That's going to help a ton with getting as much damage out of your WP as you can.

That said if you're willing to abuse the Overdrive Stasis or Overdrive Snake Oil glitches, you'll have a much easier time. If you're trying to win legit, it's a serious fight.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
For as basic as Lute's scenario is, his final boss is definitely one of the most brutal. Even if you can pull infinite damage, you've still gotta outlast all of phases, and he can pile on damage quick even when he's not powered up.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm breaking up the superboss prep grinding I'm doing by starting Romancing SaGa 3. Started with Julian and I'm amused at how quickly the game just goes "oh yeah, go hang out with this friendly vampire, he's cool." Yep, this is a SaGa game all right.

Ace Transmuter posted:

For as basic as Lute's scenario is, his final boss is definitely one of the most brutal. Even if you can pull infinite damage, you've still gotta outlast all of phases, and he can pile on damage quick even when he's not powered up.

Yep, that's a issue with T260G's final boss, too. No matter how much damage you can deal, you need to go through a set number of phases before it'll die.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I will forever be salty that Captain Hamilton is a prisoner of Lute's (figuratively and literally) lazy quest.

At least I can pick them up in Fuse's quest now too, I suppose.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Harrow posted:

No, it's down to which case file you do. Blue (or Rouge) doesn't get Life magic in anything other than his own case file. Similarly, Red doesn't get Alkaiser mode unless you're in his case file, and Riki doesn't get the rings except in his. Same for T260G's Type8 body.

The case file determines which boss will be the last one (and therefore the powered-up one) and which protagonist gets their special feature (if any).

Thank you for answering a question I had. Going for that trophy and I switched to all 7 of the default bodies and was wondering why it didn't pop.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sherry Bahm posted:

I will forever be salty that Captain Hamilton is a prisoner of Lute's (figuratively and literally) lazy quest.

At least I can pick them up in Fuse's quest now too, I suppose.

Only in Lute's case file. And only for the final boss.

They really want Captain Hamilton to be exclusive, apparently.

Mike_V posted:

Thank you for answering a question I had. Going for that trophy and I switched to all 7 of the default bodies and was wondering why it didn't pop.

Haha, glad to help. You'll get one more body type later on, but I think it's missable, so if you see a mech body in one of the later dungeons, check it out on your way out of the dungeon.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Harrow posted:

:doh:

Completely unrelated question, do we know if the Debug Room is still in there? :v:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Harrow posted:

Haha, glad to help. You'll get one more body type later on, but I think it's missable, so if you see a mech body in one of the later dungeons, check it out on your way out of the dungeon.

If it's the one in the...I forget what it was, prison type thing, then I tried clicking on it and interacting with it but nothing ever happened. I didn't try after beating the boss of that level, though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mike_V posted:

If it's the one in the...I forget what it was, prison type thing, then I tried clicking on it and interacting with it but nothing ever happened. I didn't try after beating the boss of that level, though.

If you mean HQ, the place where you go into the little virtual village, that's the place. It becomes interactable on your way out. You might be able to get the trophy in Fuse's T260G case file though, since they automatically have the Type8 body there.

Sherry Bahm posted:

:doh:

Completely unrelated question, do we know if the Debug Room is still in there? :v:

If you mean the 2nd Division room you get after beating all the scenarios, yep, it's still there. Fuse has his own remaster dev room, but the original one's still there.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

The game really doesn't want Cotton to learn LifeRain or StoneGas because I can't get him to learn those moves if my life depended on it.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Harrow posted:

If you mean the 2nd Division room you get after beating all the scenarios, yep, it's still there. Fuse has his own remaster dev room, but the original one's still there.

That's the Dev Room.

I'm talking about the Debug Room

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Mill Village posted:

The game really doesn't want Cotton to learn LifeRain or StoneGas because I can't get him to learn those moves if my life depended on it.

The BioLab is your best bet in my opinion, the scientist furthest from the entrance in the first room is a beast type and that spawns unicorns on high enough BR, while the scientist nearest the entrance is a plant and that means crystal trees with stonegas. To top it off, the middle one is a dullahan if you want to grind some shields or some of their techs.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Harrow posted:

I'm breaking up the superboss prep grinding I'm doing by starting Romancing SaGa 3. Started with Julian and I'm amused at how quickly the game just goes "oh yeah, go hang out with this friendly vampire, he's cool." Yep, this is a SaGa game all right.

I mean, he's been allied to Loanne for centuries and only uh. occasionally turns people into blood sucking monsters. What's not to trust?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sherry Bahm posted:

That's the Dev Room.

I'm talking about the Debug Room

Oh, huh, I dunno. Googling for it is tough because Google makes the same mistake I did by conflating the dev rooms and the debug room.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ardryn posted:

The BioLab is your best bet in my opinion, the scientist furthest from the entrance in the first room is a beast type and that spawns unicorns on high enough BR, while the scientist nearest the entrance is a plant and that means crystal trees with stonegas. To top it off, the middle one is a dullahan if you want to grind some shields or some of their techs.

I still have 0 dullahan shield drops. What the gently caress SaGa Frontier you used to rain these things on me on the PSX and I'm like 0 for 150. Meanwhile I've gotten more Wind and Sea stone drops in 6 character runs than I did in dozens of runs on the PSX version. Why must you toy with me so. :negative:

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I still have 0 dullahan shield drops. What the gently caress SaGa Frontier you used to rain these things on me on the PSX and I'm like 0 for 150. Meanwhile I've gotten more Wind and Sea stone drops in 6 character runs than I did in dozens of runs on the PSX version. Why must you toy with me so. :negative:

I swear the remaster did something to the drop rates because on one run as Blue I had almost a dozen life candies before I had finished the rune and arcane quests, but my current Riki run has seen exactly one. And yeah, no dullahan shields here despite zeroing in on the Lab for making Riki and Sei into, more useful, monsters.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
At a certain battle rank, Unicorns become more scarce in the Bio Lab. If you head to the Koorong Sewers, there's a room right before the Natural Cave where a fairy craps out beasts and teleports around. Chase that thing without actually catching it and you'll be swimming in Unicorns.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
My Lute grind lasted longer than most of my others (Hamilton just did not want to learn Spray of Life) but I managed to snag two Dullahan Shields back to back, despite seeing none in my previous four playthroughs. I even snagged an extra Dragon Shield drop from the Shield Card dragons. Just an embarrassment of riches, that Mei-Ling has to "settle" for the Mizukagami

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Going to Mosperiberg(sp?) is Riki’s endgame, right? I’m gonna beef my characters up before going I just wanna make sure. I also got Sei and Sukazu and I’m wondering if maybe I should use more monsters just for the novelty. Maybe I’ll swap out T260G, they aren’t really doing much for me at the moment.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Going to Mosperiberg(sp?) is Riki’s endgame, right? I’m gonna beef my characters up before going I just wanna make sure. I also got Sei and Sukazu and I’m wondering if maybe I should use more monsters just for the novelty. Maybe I’ll swap out T260G, they aren’t really doing much for me at the moment.

The point of no return is the very end of Mosperiburg. You can leave partway through to heal or buy stuff if you need to.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I also got Sei and Sukazu and I’m wondering if maybe I should use more monsters just for the novelty. Maybe I’ll swap out T260G, they aren’t really doing much for me at the moment.

An all-monster team is something I've tried a few times and always gave up on. They're just so much work and effort to buff up compared to the rest of the races. Just changing bodies over and over to get their HP to decent levels is a hassle. And that's without going into the obtuseness of it all.

Best I ever managed was a Blue run with nothing but monsters in his party. But Blue is broken as all get out after a certain point, so I almost feel like it shouldn't count.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yes but you're gated on your progress in Mosperiburg based on the rings you have so until you have all but the last one you won't hit the point of no return.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You can probably make it work but it is a chore and in the time you take to do so you'd probably have 800+ hp humans with Lifesprinkle, DSC, and shadow servant among other things. Some mechs with 800-999 hp and insane defense alongside whatever programs you learned for them. T260G + Engineer Car with multislash or Tiger program and high stats is more damage and defense than any monster can hope for but it relies on gear drops.

Forms like Black Dragon are good and all but they ultimately fall short of trained humans or mystics with stuff like triple suzaku and good spells or suzaku/kraken/suzaku for the :killdozer: inclined.

Ace Transmuter posted:

My Lute grind lasted longer than most of my others (Hamilton just did not want to learn Spray of Life) but I managed to snag two Dullahan Shields back to back, despite seeing none in my previous four playthroughs. I even snagged an extra Dragon Shield drop from the Shield Card dragons. Just an embarrassment of riches, that Mei-Ling has to "settle" for the Mizukagami

On the opposite end of my Dullhan shield drought, I am now 3 for 7 on the Earth Dragon fight dropping Spriggan Suits. :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Riki's point of no return is very clear, so don't worry about hitting it without warning. You'll be given an explicit "if you go through this door, there's no turning back" message.

I think that's true of every point of no return in the game, actually. I don't remember if that was true of the PS1 original or not, but I did notice that it was never unclear when I was going to be unable to leave a final dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Ardryn posted:

I’m not having a problem finding them. Cotton just flat out refuses to learn anything but Needle and Impale. I spent a half hour grinding each spot and came up empty handed. Like all I need is StoneGas and Cotton can be a Crystal Tree.

I guess thematically his Butch form makes the most sense but I wanted something a bit stronger.

At one point the beast type in BioLab spawned two Black Dragons in addition to the Chimera. That was a fun fight.