Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Nobody is going to check the 5 year old OP for details about a new release.

We’d just be posting “check the OP” 5 times a page instead.

Nobody checks the op ever. They don’t even check the last post on the page most of the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I got my lunar tear through time travel and kept track of how much time it was. It would have taken 2 months naturally to get it :v:

I am not very lucky.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I got mine in 8 days without any time travel :cool:

It was still my last trophy for the platinum though.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm playing nier automata essentially for the first time. I'm right hours in but I don't understand the weapons. How do I know what is good and what isn't? I get alot of weapons but they have substantially less damage then the ones I've used almost all game. Thanks

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Empress Brosephine posted:

I'm playing nier automata essentially for the first time. I'm right hours in but I don't understand the weapons. How do I know what is good and what isn't? I get alot of weapons but they have substantially less damage then the ones I've used almost all game. Thanks

Outside of the machine weapons, they’re all useful. In the beginning just use whatever has the highest damage and a move set you want. Later on when you upgrade them they get abilities (more crit, more damage at full health, etc) that make just about all of them viable to some degree. Even the machine weapons are useful for out of combat stuff.

Edmund Lava fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 7, 2021

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Huh cool okay thank you

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Meanwhile in Nier the Phoenix Spear just destroys everything so far.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MonsieurChoc posted:

That’s exactly what I’ve been using

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

I got the Lunar Tear without time travel, by taking it easy.

I was going to chill at work and garden/fish via PS Remote on my tablet earlier. Turns out my PS5 controller doesn't play nice with my tablet hardware for some reason. If I bring my Xbox controller tomorrow do you think it'll work better? I'd be nice to take care of that between calls.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

History Comes Inside! posted:

I got mine in 8 days without any time travel :cool:

It was still my last trophy for the platinum though.

Really, not the upgrading every weapon to max one?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

MonsieurChoc posted:

I got the Lunar Tear without time travel, by taking it easy.

Yeah I am "honest gardening" and I am hesitating to finish Act 1 because I just planted a bunch of indigo and am growing peach lol

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
I just finished the new Seafront thing for route C and throughout the sequence I was wondering how it was going to be even sadder than what was in route B. That one simple change to how the postman is portrayed at the end got me good. I also love the new song. Well done guys, you still got it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sharkitten posted:

Really, not the upgrading every weapon to max one?

“Every” weapon is now only 33 out of either 38 or 39 weapons, I can’t remember exactly, because of the DLC and new content.

Some of them are easier to do than others so you can ignore the ones that need mountains of hard to find poo poo like memory alloy or black pearls and not have to farm as many of them.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I keep thinking about this guy who needs 10 titanium alloys to repair his kitchen

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

goblin week posted:

I keep thinking about this guy who needs 10 titanium alloys to repair his kitchen
There's another guy who needs 10 titanium alloys to make one (1) kitchen knife

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got Automata World Guide 2. It is very gorgeous. Thanks to everyone who mentioned that 1 is just an art book as that one isn’t in stock over here and I was gonna wait

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's the strongest non-upgraded weapon in the game and can easily carry you to the end unless you're playing on hard mode. It's nuts that they let you get it right from the get go in the second half the game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just got the new ending and I liked it well enough. Kaine getting another speech is always good. Things felt very very sweet as well. I just wanna know why baby 2b and 9s were there and why Zero's flower just popped out like that.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Blaziken386 posted:

At a certain point I feel like the subtext is that some of these NPCs are taking advantage of our sweet helpful protagonist and are ripping him off. A bunch of them greet you with "hey, you're that guy who just does whatever anyone asks, right?"

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just got the new ending and I liked it well enough. Kaine getting another speech is always good. Things felt very very sweet as well. I just wanna know why baby 2b and 9s were there and why Zero's flower just popped out like that.

That wasn't the zero death flower, it was a lunar tear, c'mon!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

beep by grandpa posted:

That wasn't the zero death flower, it was a lunar tear, c'mon!

I suspect there’s some sort of relation, just by virtue of it being A Significant Flower and because it’d be an obvious move, but I’m sure there’s a more compelling and complicated thing going on because it’s so obvious.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i think people are misreading that scene as Emil isn't really Emil anymore, he combined with his sister and it's pretty strongly implied if not outright said that included memories, so it's not a simple question

Taro has said explicitly no, Emil is gay, it's got nothing to do with his sister. He loves Nier.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Why is Gay Icon, Emil being put in spoiler tags :raise:

Free him

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

My man languished in that castle for centuries, I will not abide by his being held captive any longer

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Edmund Lava posted:

Outside of the machine weapons, they’re all useful. In the beginning just use whatever has the highest damage and a move set you want. Later on when you upgrade them they get abilities (more crit, more damage at full health, etc) that make just about all of them viable to some degree. Even the machine weapons are useful for out of combat stuff.

On my second play-through of Automata on the PC I'm basically just using whatever looks cool, since on my first playthrough on PS4 I just stuck to the weapons the internet said were best.

I'm enjoying the spear move-set. I basically never used spears or fists on my first playthrough.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Emil is the best :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJnwWRuJR8w

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Listening to the Nier Replicant 1.22 OST at work today and I think I can confidently say that the new tracks are mostly superior to both the original game and Nier Automata's

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
New ending question: Why does Emil have four arms now?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

So many Replicant tracks have these brand new extended codas to them that seem designed to draw out big "holy poo poo" moments from the listener if they are very familiar with the original work and it rules. My fav might be the new vocals added to Kaine Salvation :unsmith:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Rhonne posted:

Four is bigger number than two and therefore better

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Rhonne posted:

to hold Nier’s, Kaine’s, and Yonah’s hands, and Weiss close to his chest

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Rhonne posted:

he can beat off four guys

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Playing Automata again right after Replicant and I forgot how much weirder it goes nearly out the gate. Also how funny this game is, drat. I just went back to the Amusement Park and the machine production of Romeo and Juliet loving slayed lmao

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Has anyone else had a crash to desktop when they read the diary in route B? It's the only one I've had. The game seemed to be performing an system save when it crashed - I thought something meta was happening but nope, now I have to hammer the X button through Kainé storybook dreams.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Blaziken386 posted:

To be fair, it's a really nice kitchen knife.

So I finished routes C and D yesterday and (C&D spoilers): does the game never explain the whole "snow in summer" bit at the start or why the hell gestalts and replicants exist? or what devola and popola actually are? I could've sworn there was some vague info in Automata but I can't remember and I was really excited for all that lore

Is there anything I can read/watch/etc. that explains all that stuff?

Oh and (C/D spoilers): the extra scene after Emil falls into the black hole Popola makes really got to me. The whole thing about his sister and the drawing and her being the one to save him :smith: Stuff in Automata hit me a bit harder emotionally but that sequence was imo, the strongest bit of storytelling in the game

axeil fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 7, 2021

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Rhonne posted:

He had to put together a new body anyway so why not?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

axeil posted:

To be fair, it's a really nice kitchen knife.

So I finished routes C and D yesterday and (C&D spoilers): does the game never explain the whole "snow in summer" bit at the start or why the hell gestalts and replicants exist? or what devola and popola actually are? I could've sworn there was some vague info in Automata but I can't remember and I was really excited for all that lore

Is there anything I can read/watch/etc. that explains all that stuff?

A lot of it is really just hinted at. You miss quite a bit of it if you don't go into your menu and read the project documents when devola and popola give them to you during the climax. As far as more straight up explanations go it almost all comes from grimoire nier

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

beep by grandpa posted:

Listening to the Nier Replicant 1.22 OST at work today and I think I can confidently say that the new tracks are mostly superior to both the original game and Nier Automata's

I think Replicant's soundtrack is a bit better at "setting a mood" than Automata's, but some of my favorite tracks in Automata don't really have similar analogues in Replicant (like the City Ruins or Desert music).

One thing I've found is that, for whatever reason, the fake language used in Replicant's music tends to trick my brain into thinking it's English more often than the Automata-specific music.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I'm playing Replicant for the first time (I miss dad-Nier) and I think it's pretty neat how the game gives you a small hint of Devola & Popola's true nature in a little aside between Nier and Weiss after the Duet quest when they talk about how Popola destroyed the wall of the tavern drunk one time. Those walls are stone. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

stev posted:

Has anyone else had a crash to desktop when they read the diary in route B? It's the only one I've had. The game seemed to be performing an system save when it crashed - I thought something meta was happening but nope, now I have to hammer the X button through Kainé storybook dreams.

I’ve never crashed there, but you can hold down the x button to speed through the text segments instead of mashing it. Can’t skip them entirely once you start them, but it helps speed it up a bit at least.