Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

IAmKale posted:

https://reason.com/2021/05/04/california-math-framework-woke-equity-calculus/
California's DOE is trying to turn mathematics into some kinda weird mechanism for achieving social justice vis-a-vis keeping talented kids from moving ahead in math classes:

It's a legit effort, too: https://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/ma/cf/

This has been an ongoing debate in education for years.

On one hand, if you have different tracks for different abilities the higher-achieving students will all by sorted into the same track, leaving all the lower performing students together in their own class. This hurts the lower-performing students because they no longer have more advanced peers around them that they can learn from.

On the other hand though, if you put everyone into the classroom together you put the teacher in a bind because they have to try and teach 35 kids who all have wildly different ability levels. The end result is sometimes that the very lowest kids are left behind, the middle of the pack does ok, and the highest achievers are bored out of their minds.

I taught 8th grade English at a school last year which had eliminated all their tracks with the same idea in mind. In my class I had some students reading at a 2nd grade level, and others at an 11th grade level, which, as you can imagine made my job pretty difficult.

This plan is somewhat undermined by the proliferation of charter schools that have popped up in the last couple decades. Over and over I see my best students transferring to charter schools because they offer advanced classes that my school doesn't. So the end result is sometimes what they're trying to avoid in the first place.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Class Warcraft posted:

I taught 8th grade English at a school last year which had eliminated all their tracks with the same idea in mind. In my class I had some students reading at a 2nd grade level, and others at an 11th grade level, which, as you can imagine made my job pretty difficult.

Yeah I didn't know how to add this succinctly to my post but this is very true and imo symptomatic of a whoooooole bunch of problems that aren't necessarily solved by tracking. Like, for example, our abhorrent teacher training system, our lack of coteachers as we were just discussing in the K-12 teacher thread lately, and so on. Like, making you teach 35 kids of such varying levels alone is bullshit and not good for you or your kids. Teaching that same class with aides and a sped-trained co-teacher who can help with modification and provide supplemental knowledge and materials...there's probably still some issues to work out there, but it's more in the range of doable.

Anyway the real reason I came back is because I found this Medium article discussing perceived vs. real effects of tracking/honors classes. Yeah it's a Medium article, but it links to scientific studies as sources for its arguments: https://medium.com/age-of-awareness/do-gifted-and-talented-programs-work-aaee7dcaaa30

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Hawkperson posted:

Yeah I didn't know how to add this succinctly to my post but this is very true and imo symptomatic of a whoooooole bunch of problems that aren't necessarily solved by tracking. Like, for example, our abhorrent teacher training system, our lack of coteachers as we were just discussing in the K-12 teacher thread lately, and so on. Like, making you teach 35 kids of such varying levels alone is bullshit and not good for you or your kids. Teaching that same class with aides and a sped-trained co-teacher who can help with modification and provide supplemental knowledge and materials...there's probably still some issues to work out there, but it's more in the range of doable.

Anyway the real reason I came back is because I found this Medium article discussing perceived vs. real effects of tracking/honors classes. Yeah it's a Medium article, but it links to scientific studies as sources for its arguments: https://medium.com/age-of-awareness/do-gifted-and-talented-programs-work-aaee7dcaaa30

Yeah, if I had even one instructional assistant it would have been much more doable. As it stood I felt like I could never give everyone what they needed in any given period.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Class Warcraft posted:

On the other hand though, if you put everyone into the classroom together you put the teacher in a bind because they have to try and teach 35 kids who all have wildly different ability levels. The end result is sometimes that the very lowest kids are left behind, the middle of the pack does ok, and the highest achievers are bored out of their minds.

can we hire more teachers

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Centrist Committee posted:

but if we hire new teachers where will we get the money to pay dozens of pointless administrators their 200k a year salaries???

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Centrist Committee posted:

Did you know that even though California has some of the highest teacher pay in the nation, we also have class sizes that are basically double the size of most other states

Because I didn't until I casually let drop that my classes average 40 kids in the teacher thread and everyone not from California flipped the gently caress out lol

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I watched Another Round (great movie btw) the other night and laughed aloud when the camera panned to Mads Mikkelsen's class to reveal that he was teaching like 11 students.

edit: Hell, last year I didn't even have an actual classroom for the first semester. I was teaching out of a tiny science lab because we didn't have enough classrooms to fit all our students.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 5, 2021

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Hawkperson posted:

Because I didn't until I casually let drop that my classes average 40 kids in the teacher thread and everyone not from California flipped the gently caress out lol
High school 30 - 40 students was the norm at my high school in Fresno back in... ... 2000s from what I remember; every class was packed. Going back from that Middle School was 20 - 30 and elementary was probably a bit less.

High school would probably have done more than 40 students, but it was originally built as a middle school that was then made into a high school so it was undersized, and due to various politicking reasons it was never renovated (supposedly the rich kids went there in like the 70s or 80s but those days were long gone; all the rich kids went to Clovis at that point; despite the fact that there was a street of mansions just a block down; white flight etc). High school finally got renovations like a decade after I had graduated iirc and they built upward! an amazing concept!; not sure if they got rid of the like 8 trailers they had or not.

Between the way they handle K - 12 overly populated classrooms and the way they abuse adjuncts at the college level I say burn it all down and start over. :flame:

Fake edit: I was looking up the proper term for those trailer/modular classrooms. The fact that this is a google ad is just :ughh:

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 5, 2021

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Hawkperson posted:

Did you know that even though California has some of the highest teacher pay in the nation, we also have class sizes that are basically double the size of most other states

40 kids lol what the gently caress

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

IAmKale posted:

https://reason.com/2021/05/04/california-math-framework-woke-equity-calculus/
California's DOE is trying to turn mathematics into some kinda weird mechanism for achieving social justice vis-a-vis keeping talented kids from moving ahead in math classes:

It's a legit effort, too: https://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/ma/cf/

honestly, this kind of effort seems like it could be worthwhile. my bougie high school was a charter that made some effort to maintain racial and socio-economic diversity by bussing in a lot of kids from across the district. this was completely undercut by everyone getting sorted into a two track system during freshman year that was visibly sorted along racial lines.

if you came from a local feeder school with accelerated academic programs, or your parents knew enough to raise a fuss, you were put into honors and ap classes and you would pretty much take only those kind of classes for the rest of your time there. if you were from a non-local school, and your parents just assumed going to an excellent school meant you got an excellent education, you were on the normal track

i had a bunch of brilliant and passionate teachers that really helped to set me up for life, and it was very noticeable that every class was almost entirely white and asian in a school that was probably plurality black and hispanic. i get that there are a lot of complications on the educator's end, but having things be so stratified even in the same school just seems like it's helping reinforce systemic equality

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Class Warcraft posted:

This has been an ongoing debate in education for years.

I feel like the US needs to get behind the escuela nueva model. I worked on some international development projects with that and it seemed to solve a lot of these problems.

Basically, instead of trying to manage kids you turn them all into managers. The smart kids all run pods and their homework is to teach the slower kids what they've learned. The teacher does very little direct instruction, and mostly just gets the pods formed up.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

El Mero Mero posted:

I feel like the US needs to get behind the escuela nueva model. I worked on some international development projects with that and it seemed to solve a lot of these problems.

Basically, instead of trying to manage kids you turn them all into managers. The smart kids all run pods and their homework is to teach the slower kids what they've learned. The teacher does very little direct instruction, and mostly just gets the pods formed up.

This is a great idea because then we could save a ton of money by firing teachers and cutting the remaining teacher's pay since they won't be doing nearly as much work and can easily scale up how many pods they form

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

droll posted:

This is a great idea because then we could save a ton of money by firing teachers and cutting the remaining teacher's pay since they won't be doing nearly as much work and can easily scale up how many pods they form
Ooh, we can assign a virtual "teach" (not an individual, but a group of rotating evaluators) remotely and all the assignments can be online!

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
UberTeach

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

This discussion is about on par with my usual Teacher Appreciation Week experiences, honestly

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

droll posted:

UberTeach
Honestly this would be the easiest sell. Teach for America but with TechBro "targeted machine learning" bs to provide foolish college grads to the most lucrative undeserved urban markets.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Thanks I hate it now :catstare:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Sydin posted:

Math stuff
That's interesting, when I was in middle school, being in pre algebra in 7th grade was the more advanced track lmao. That path was

7th: Pre-Algebra
8th: Algebra 1
9th: Geometry
10th: Algebra 2
11th: Trig/Pre-calc
12th: AP Calculus AB

Was looking over at common core recently for my son and it does seem like grade standards are more advanced per grade now, even in elementary school. Multiplication and division start a grade earlier than I remember.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Hawkperson posted:

This discussion is about on par with my usual Teacher Appreciation Week experiences, honestly
It's not complete until you get the guy that's "a proud independent voter" complaining about the union/job protections in one breath and then whining about their [insert union-protected aspect of job] in another.

Cicero posted:

That's interesting, when I was in middle school, being in pre algebra in 7th grade was the more advanced track lmao. That path was
Pretty much same. When I got to HS they shifted over to Integrated Math textbooks, and PreCalc was Math Analysis.

I definitely got tripped up when multiplication tables, long division, and fractions were rolled out and I never really recovered a good mathematical foundation. I was much older, and it was only after I made connections between things like "9x8 is a number that is 9 away from being 10x8 so just take the second number x10 and subtract 9" that things started making sense.

quote:

Was looking over at common core recently for my son and it does seem like grade standards are more advanced per grade now, even in elementary school.
Reminds me of how in Star Trek the elementary kids in class are doing Calculus or someshit.

Makes me wonder how much of those changes align with biological stages of growth. Some foreign nations, iirc, delay reading until kids are 7 because of brain development.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Cicero posted:

Was looking over at common core recently for my son and it does seem like grade standards are more advanced per grade now, even in elementary school. Multiplication and division start a grade earlier than I remember.

We had a similar advanced track but it went:

10th: Algebra 2/Trig
11th: Calc BC
12th: Calc D/Linear Algebra

School funding is such a weird issue to me. It seems like it should be such a simple slam dunk to actually fund schools at a high level, since it will pay massive, massive dividends a dozen years or so down the line. Granted, the dozen years down the line part doesn't get you reelected, so there's that.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Cicero posted:

Mine was probably weird because I was nominally in some kind of gifted students program in middle school but also just completely flunked the math placement test, then switched HS's to a middle college after my Sophomore year.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

My math experience is weird. Like someone else mentioned, my 5th and 6th grade teachers let us work ahead of the class, I was one of 3 kids to be going through Algebra in 6th grade. None of it counted though, and when I got to 7th-8th, I had to take Algebra 1, and Algebra 2. Then when I got to high school, for some reason I had to take Algebra over again, for reasons I do not understand. I got expelled from high school and ended up taking the California High School Equivalency Exam which expunges your entire record. When I got to community college, there was no record of my Algebra because of the CHSEP. I was able to test out of pre-algebra, but testing out of Algebra was not an option and I had to re-do Algebra 1 and 2 for the 4th time.

I've heard that some countries teach pre-algebra alongside basic math as early as 1st grade. Supposedly this promotes understanding of numbers and abstract thinking, and I really believe it. I remember doing a lot of the 1+_=7, fill in the blank things, but for some reason kids get completely lost once you substitute a letter for the blank.

Night classes at the community college are also a very 'fun' experience. In one of my algebra classes, there were several adults that must have had pre-algebra as a pre-req, but it was probably 20-30 years ago.
Teacher: Ok, so we are going to try solve for X in the equation 2x-5y=8
Student: What is x?
Teacher: That is what we are trying to find out.
Student: So is x a number?
Teacher: Yes, x represents a number.
Student: What number?
Teacher: Well it could be any number, thats what we are trying to solve
Student: If it can be any number, can we put a 5 there?
Teacher: If anyone would like to leave early, feel free to, the tests are every other Friday and I will not be tracking attendance, your grade in this class will be judged soley on test performance.
*80% of the class gets up and leaves*

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/GuyMarzorati/status/1389990128563613697

Man who brought a bear to a press conference is upset that people paid attention to the bear

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/GuyMarzorati/status/1389990128563613697

Man who brought a bear to a press conference is upset that people paid attention to the bear

Boooo, who's this guy? Where's the bear???

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Boooo, who's this guy? Where's the bear???
*clapping hands, chanting *
We! Want! The bear!
We! Want! The bear!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I was not allowed to take Calculus in high school and it has fostered a lifelong resentment of math teachers as a result.

On the other hand, for curious students that want a sneak peek at advanced coursework (which, if you play your cards right, may result in saving time down the line), you could do free online learning at sites like Coursera or EdX. I would have totally jumped at opportunities like that as a kid, if it were available to me in the 90s.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
"Please growl."

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
Climate change is loving poo poo up way sooner than expected

https://twitter.com/CAL_FIRE/status/1389988548296671234

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Boat Stuck posted:

Not if you read the climate change threads :grin:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dirk the Average posted:

School funding is such a weird issue to me.
:chud: WHY THE FUCKEMAH PAYING HUNDREDS OF MY DOLLARS SO SOME *&3(4&/&**×9876__/0 CAN GET FREE LUNCH AT SCHOOL?!

:trumppop: I AINT GOT ANY KIDS SO I SHOULDNT HAVE TO PAY FOR GOVERNMENT FUNDED BABYSITTING

:mitt: It's cheaper to incarcerate than educate

It's racism op. It's always racism.
Also, some of the "bad" schools aren't that terrible. My HS was way overstuffed but it was $12 to take an AP test, we could get Princeton Review Saturday supplemental SAT classes for a bit, etc.

What did suck was that kids arrived there at insane learning deficits and either found a way to keep up or just treaded water. With that many students what was needed were counselors and ancillary supports. It's not just enough to shove block moneys at the problem.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Boat Stuck posted:

Good reminder to buy a new air purifier after being too late last year before everything stocked out

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

some Jenner hits from her Hannity appearance tonight

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1390114275621056512?s=20

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1390118267423973377?s=20

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1390121319853928450?s=20

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Good reminder to buy a new air purifier after being too late last year before everything stocked out
Grab some N95 masks while your're at it.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

I ordered one last year, and it got lost in shipping, so they sent me a free replacement. Then a couple weeks later the original air purifier finally arrived lol. so now i have two of them :getin:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Get your air purifier before the Jewish space lasers get activated for the season.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

FMguru posted:

Grab some N95 masks while your're at it.

You'll want a half mask respirator with P100 filters for heavy smoke like we had last year. 3M and Honeywell both make high quality respirators and filters. Just don't buy any filters from amazon, ebay or sites like aliexpress, there's tons of fakes floating around on those sites. Industrial supply sites are a much safer source for filters. Both companies have lower end masks made with less comfortable plastics, and higher end masks made with silicone rubber that feels and seals better. If you know you're gonna be outside during summer in the smoke, a good silicone half mask is the most comfortable and best respiratory protection you can be wearing. P100 filters remove almost all the smoke smell, and you can pay extra for multigas + P100 filters that should cut out the remaining smell from gasses. For other concerns in our current times, P100 is great for covid, and Multigas + P100 is recommended for tear gas.

Honeywell:
Cheap, good, good + speech diaphram
plus
This P100 or this P100+MG (pricey overkill, but you shouldn't smell any smoke)

3M:
Cheap, good
plus
This P100 or this P100+MG(pricey overkill, but you shouldn't smell any smoke)

These are just a couple of sites that I know are reliable and have good prices. Home Dept/Lowes might have masks back in stock by now, too. Otherwise, yeah, get some 95% filtration rated masks, n95, kn95, or kf94. Whatever 95% masks you're using for covid should work to keep the chunky smoke particles out of your lungs.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

FMguru posted:

*clapping hands, chanting *
We! Want! The bear!
We! Want! The bear!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

also, shaving at least the area where the mask seals makes a huge difference. its never enough that it makes wearing a mask worthless, but even a couple days' stubble can let a lot of gunk around the mask. moustaches, superchops, soulpatches are all gravy; full beards are not

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
If, like me, you’re unwilling to shave but absolutely must wear a mask for a short while, Vaseline makes a nice seal even over hair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

If, like me, you’re unwilling to shave but absolutely must wear a mask for a short while, Vaseline makes a nice seal even over hair

im gonna have to naysay this unless you have a study backing it up, lol. seems both gross and possibly an ineffective home remedy

e: wait this isn't the COVID thread.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 7, 2021