Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

ClothHat posted:

(Two weeks ago)
Boss: I want you to implement changes to the way you do this thing, either do it as A or do it as B.
I go ahead and implement option B.

(Today)
Boss: How is it going implementing the thing?
Me: Good, I've implemented option B across the board.
Boss: I wanted you to do option A.
Me: I thought you said option A or B.
Boss: I don't think B is enough, I think it needs to be A.
Me: Ok if you want A I'll implement that instead.
Boss: Well it's not about what I want, I would like you to poll the team and see if that's what they want. You need to look at what are the outcomes of doing B and if that's sufficient or if we need option A.
Me: Ok just to be clear, do you want me to go to the team and ask their opinion, or stick with B for now and evaluate how it's working, or just switch to A now?
Boss: I want you to do A.

One of the reasons why I never want the boss's job is because a good boss has to work twice as hard as everyone else. The other reason is having to work with people like your boss and not be able to fire or murder them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illionaire
Apr 18, 2005

It's all about the
Yenjamins,
baby
I was in an online meeting today and when the presenter shared their screen I saw the Something Awful forums on their browser's shortcuts page. I just want that person to know that I know their shameful secret.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

illionaire posted:

I was in an online meeting today and when the presenter shared their screen I saw the Something Awful forums on their browser's shortcuts page. I just want that person to know that I know their shameful secret.

This is a mystery that must be solved.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

illionaire posted:

Was he telling you you're using Agile wrong?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Was he yelling about suppliers being unable to read a blueprint?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
“Do you have stairs in your workplace?”
“No I am ADA compliant.”

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Blue Moonlight posted:

“Do you have stairs in your workplace?”
“No I am ADA compliant.”

Please standby, I need to protect you from the terrible undocumented issues of your workspace

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

illionaire posted:

I had my shortcut on full display for a while last year. I really hope people thought I was just a hand grenade enthusiast or something equally socially acceptable.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Outrail posted:

I had my shortcut on full display for a while last year. I really hope people thought I was just a hand grenade enthusiast or something equally socially acceptable.

Enough with the circumcision derails

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Imagined posted:

Everyone has to message the supervisor on Teams when they 'log in', when they go to lunch, when they get back from lunch, and then send an email at the end of the day saying what they did today. THERE WE FIXED IT.

Shame there's no way anyone could automate that

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

nexus6 posted:

Shame there's no way anyone could automate that

At a job I had about ten years ago I kept automating responses to admin bullshit using some terrible amateur excel/VB hacks that were nevertheless much faster than actually doing the stuff manually.

It got to the point where the life cycle of an admin initiative would go:

Introduction -> Nagging about compliance -> I would finally get around to hacking something together and share it with my team -> It would spread -> Pleased emails about compliance -> Admin would catch on that it was automated -> The whole thing would be dropped.

It was like they only cared as long as it was taking people time, which was... ???
They weren't as aggressively bad as some of the stories in this thread, so it's hard to ascribe it to pure malice, but to this day I don't know what was going on in the background there.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Smik posted:

One of the reasons why I never want the boss's job is because a good boss has to work twice as hard as everyone else. The other reason is having to work with people like your boss and not be able to fire or murder them.

That is an absolute sack of lies sold to you by management. I've found that, as long as I trust my team and let them do their jobs without looking over their shoulders, my volume of work is typically lower than it was when I was an individual contributor.

The actual trade off, at least for me, is that instead of worrying about the one project I'm personally working on, I need to worry about and support all of them. This introduces a lot more chaos to your daily work, and the peaks and valleys are much more pronounced as it always seems like multiple things need attention at once. Plus, there's a lot more BS factor to deal with as you need to balance the needs of the team against the stupid policies thrust upon you from above. My biggest worry is that some day upper management will figure out that I'm prioritizing my team over individual projects and shove me back into the ranks. On the other hand, my team is one of the highest-performing teams in our department, so I'm not *that* worried.

In the end, I wouldn't say one is better than the other, at least as far as the overall work goes. It all depends on your tolerance for BS and your willingness to live with making decisions in situations for which there are no good choices. The single shittiest part of my job is juggling compensation. I get a tiny bag of money every year (except last year) with which to cover raises AND promotions. I can promote max one team member per year without pushing all of the other raises under the typical inflation rate. I have three developers who, as far as I'm concerned, are ready. All else being equal, do I start with the dev with the lowest salary, giving the rest of the team more on their raises; the dev with the highest salary, whose departure would have the biggest impact; or, the dev in the middle, who is the sole breadwinner for his family of four? It's a real ethical dilemma. No matter who I choose, I will then need to have a conversation with the other two, which always sucks rear end.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

SubnormalityStairs posted:

That is an absolute sack of lies sold to you by management. I've found that, as long as I trust my team and let them do their jobs without looking over their shoulders, my volume of work is typically lower than it was when I was an individual contributor.

I agree with this. Although I have less control over my diary, because I am involved in a lot of multi-function calls, my actual workload has decreased since moving into management. I generally trust my team to do their jobs, and they generally do them without too much intervention.

The main "work" I now have to do is nudging team members in the right direction, escalating things where they are stuck, and push the high performers towards opportunities for development and promotion.

Most of my time is actually spent on calls with other functions in the business, explaining to them why the sales team already does too much work, and that we need to employ more customer services types to take care of the boring bits that don't require any skill, just time and resource.

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!

Gin_Rummy posted:

Big corporations are so stupid. There is basically zero work in my group right now and yet we have three open requisitions to bring in new senior staff.

This part actually seems right though. Big companies usually mean long lead times to get any position filled, then a week or two of bullshit on boarding like getting access, mandatory training. Hopefully by the time someone shows up on your team, you can show them the ropes and let them make mistakes while it’s slow and you have time to teach them. Then when work actually picks up, you have an experienced team member.

Trying to do the same thing while you’re drowning makes life a lot more stressful. When everyone is working long hours there often a pressure to just hire a warm body rather than interview carefully for the right candidate, then nobody has time to properly train the new guy because they’re dealing with their own problems, and once they’re finally contributing you can expect lots of mistakes (because they’re still new) that won’t be caught (because everyone else is swamped putting out other fires) which in the short term adds more work back to the team.

If you’re lucky, you’ll get to the same place in the end, but the first route is much less stressful for you, the new person, and the rest of the team.

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

I work as a "Senior Data Analyst", but do a whole load of data work for my organization; CQI, trainings, implementation, creating data visualizations, helping other orgs structure their data. The VP I reported to abruptly put in his notice (he was disgruntled with the direction of the org) about two months back and my org rushed to find a replacement. The extent of his replacement's experience with data is using pivot tables and the CEO didn't communicate the direction or any of the projects we were working on to the new VP. :psyduck:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

gently caress Man posted:

I work as a "Senior Data Analyst", but do a whole load of data work for my organization; CQI, trainings, implementation, creating data visualizations, helping other orgs structure their data. The VP I reported to abruptly put in his notice (he was disgruntled with the direction of the org) about two months back and my org rushed to find a replacement. The extent of his replacement's experience with data is using pivot tables and the CEO didn't communicate the direction or any of the projects we were working on to the new VP. :psyduck:

Get in there. Get in there right now and tell him everything he needs to hear and tell him what he needs to do before he tries to figure it out on his own. Become the vizier on his shoulder.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
I wasn't allowed to take computer accessories from the office to home. I've been home for 14 months now, with my 15" laptop screen only, instead of the nice 28" IPS 4K monitor that's gathering dust 20 miles away.

No pro headset either, so I'm using my gaming one. It looks fabulous with its RGB LEDs for zoom meetings. I first pretended not to know how to turn them off, then that the pesky kids turned them on again.

After all this time we still haven't setup a VPN so backup of your workstation, instead of on a network drive at the office, is now simply not a thing. I use an old 2.5" USB HDD I had lying around.

My boss had the brilliant idea of fusing all our sales presentations into a single giant one. Every time anyone makes a change or just hits save by mistake, all sales & marketing people get the "new" file via Sharepoint, after a while. A long while. It's close to 1 gigabyte. Some people have 30/3 mbps internet at home. This happens at least 3 times a day. There are "conflicted copies" being created, and downloaded to everybody.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Spatule posted:

I wasn't allowed to take computer accessories from the office to home. I've been home for 14 months now, with my 15" laptop screen only, instead of the nice 28" IPS 4K monitor that's gathering dust 20 miles away.

No pro headset either, so I'm using my gaming one. It looks fabulous with its RGB LEDs for zoom meetings. I first pretended not to know how to turn them off, then that the pesky kids turned them on again.

After all this time we still haven't setup a VPN so backup of your workstation, instead of on a network drive at the office, is now simply not a thing. I use an old 2.5" USB HDD I had lying around.

My boss had the brilliant idea of fusing all our sales presentations into a single giant one. Every time anyone makes a change or just hits save by mistake, all sales & marketing people get the "new" file via Sharepoint, after a while. A long while. It's close to 1 gigabyte. Some people have 30/3 mbps internet at home. This happens at least 3 times a day. There are "conflicted copies" being created, and downloaded to everybody.

When it started to become clear that "optional" work from home was going to become non optional, I drove to work, took all the relevant equipment I could, and drove it home. The extra monitor was a lifesaver, one of the smartest possible things I did last year.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Imagined posted:

Their solution? Everyone has to message the supervisor on Teams when they 'log in', when they go to lunch, when they get back from lunch, and then send an email at the end of the day saying what they did today. THERE WE FIXED IT.

When schools went online last year, out school board had no idea what they wanted us to do. This was before anyone was doing live streaming of classes, so the main requirement was to upload the occasional assignment and generally be around if students needed help or had questions. Student marks were locked in so nothing they did for the last few months really mattered and they knew it. Realistically the amount of actual work dropped down to a few hours a week.

But we had constant emails, multiple check-ins each day with the principal, and other activities where were clearly designed to prove we weren't just taking the whole day off. When we started, their number one concern was that we would be on facebook during school hours and we had a lot of emails reminding us not to do it.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Volmarias posted:

When it started to become clear that "optional" work from home was going to become non optional, I drove to work, took all the relevant equipment I could, and drove it home. The extra monitor was a lifesaver, one of the smartest possible things I did last year.

Oh yeah we didn't get a penny for WFH equipment but were allowed to go hog wild on office equipment. I also snagged a second monitor and probably should have taken my chair.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh yeah we didn't get a penny for WFH equipment but were allowed to go hog wild on office equipment. I also snagged a second monitor and probably should have taken my chair.

One of the great things about where I work was not only did they let you come into the office and take stuff if you needed it to WFH but they also got someone to bring it out to you if you couldn't go in and get it yourself, that's how I got my office chair.

Also, we're not required to return the chairs once the office reopens because they just went through a re-fit and bought new chairs.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

nexus6 posted:

One of the great things about where I work was not only did they let you come into the office and take stuff if you needed it to WFH but they also got someone to bring it out to you if you couldn't go in and get it yourself, that's how I got my office chair.

Also, we're not required to return the chairs once the office reopens because they just went through a re-fit and bought new chairs.

drat, can you send us some spares so I stop having to use a piece of poo poo one whose previous owner abused it so badly the quarter inch thick metal bar for the arm is bent a good 20 degrees out?
Oh yeah, I do finally have one bit of good news: someone with actual authority finally asked me for a feature/improvement request list for our hell software so maybe things will improve???

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I'm a huge dipshit so I just bought a WFH desk, because I'm a huge dipshit and even after COVID would get use out of it because I have to bring work home a lot of times.

Though I think that if we don't go all in on flexibility in the workplace, I may need to look elsewhere. And then I can take my WFH stuff with me! :smithicide:

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I’ve been working from home in my bed or on the couch all year lol. My posture is ruined

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Tetramin posted:

I’ve been working from home in my bed or on the couch all year lol. My posture is ruined

Don't worry I've been working at a desk all year and my posture is also ruined

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I figure hunching over my laptop on a sofa chair is just doing my part for carcinisation.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

SubnormalityStairs posted:

The actual trade off, at least for me, is that instead of worrying about the one project I'm personally working on, I need to worry about and support all of them. This introduces a lot more chaos to your daily work, and the peaks and valleys are much more pronounced as it always seems like multiple things need attention at once. Plus, there's a lot more BS factor to deal with as you need to balance the needs of the team against the stupid policies thrust upon you from above. My biggest worry is that some day upper management will figure out that I'm prioritizing my team over individual projects and shove me back into the ranks.

I based my experience off when I had to take a leadership role, but your description still makes it sound like there's a lot more stress. Maybe you're just a lot better at your job than I was when I had to manage people. I've found I'm much happier in a support role.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
The tricks to managing are apathy and lies. Pretend to care, but don't fall for the trap of actually caring.

That's how you get managers that buy into corporate culture.

Of course shelter your team from dickheads. That should be the only source of stress. It's a big one though depending on workplace.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Tetramin posted:

It would be terrible for your wrists, too. You don't want to give yourself carpal tunnel syndrome.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Being leadership sucks because the two things that separate you from being senior individual contributor is needing to make decisions noone else wants to, or taking flak for and protecting your team members. These two things are miserable in most circumstances.

You can also ignore those two tasks and circumstances will often mean that's good enough to meet your team goals anyway and there's tons of leadership making out that way but then if you have any consciousness at all you get to gaze deep within and wonder wtf am I even doing.

E. Not even breaching people management which is getting into working around the illest hosed up poo poo HR wishes to throw at you and your team.

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

Outrail posted:

Get in there. Get in there right now and tell him everything he needs to hear and tell him what he needs to do before he tries to figure it out on his own. Become the vizier on his shoulder.

I have been doing some due diligence in that regard, she's actually taken some of my advice in corralling the need for a PM system and how our department is communicated with by other departments. My previous manager had a direction and vision in his head, but no one in leadership thought to capture any of that prior to his departure (I had him go through in his last couple of weeks everything I could possibly know for my position). Part of me thinks it's an intentional change in direction, but it just all seems too sloppy and in my mind is more indicative of immature leadership. This isn't a team of entry level folks, my peers are PhDs and other high level independent contributors.

It's been about a month since she's come on board and yesterday was the first time someone (me) had shared our business model documentation with her. I'm hoping for the best, preparing for the worst.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

nexus6 posted:

When COVID WFH started my company locked everyone out of all the buildings for two weeks outside of shop floor guys (because giving time to deep clean and rearrange the build areas wasn't even a consideration), and over a year later still won't let anyone into the building I used to work out of. I only realized a couple weeks ago I had left an apple in my desk drawer. That thing has to have just completely rotted or dried out by now.

The nice thing the company did was to create a system where employees could request whatever they needed for home use. Monitors and chairs were the big ticket items they had, but you could get everything from a standing desk attachment to a multipack of ethernet cables. Too bad that the system got completely overwhelmed and people found it easier to order stuff with corporate cards from Amazon.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

We all got a $1000 allowance, with the stipulation that anything we expense to it is in fact company property and must eventually be returned. I assume this is a bluff, but more likely they'll just dock the last paycheck and dare you to figure out how the gently caress to return it instead.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zedprime posted:

Being leadership sucks because the two things that separate you from being senior individual contributor is needing to make decisions noone else wants to, or taking flak for and protecting your team members. These two things are miserable in most circumstances.

You can also ignore those two tasks and circumstances will often mean that's good enough to meet your team goals anyway and there's tons of leadership making out that way but then if you have any consciousness at all you get to gaze deep within and wonder wtf am I even doing.

E. Not even breaching people management which is getting into working around the illest hosed up poo poo HR wishes to throw at you and your team.

I’ve had two managers at this job ask me about my plans for moving up and I’ve always just laughed at it. gently caress managing stuff. If I wanted to manage anything I would run my business myself instead of paying someone to do it. Technically I’m a manager in my role anyway but that’s mostly just because safety always needs some kind of operational power, I don’t have any direct reports or anything.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Several companies have invited me to pursue management, but the pay/terms have rarely been good enough compared with the expected duties. Of the two times it was, the company was desperate.

I assume that most people take these roles either offensively (because they enjoy power over others) or defensively (to stop someone worse taking it), but I work for money and benefits, and don't particularly want to play rigged games like that.

Presumably it's a path that eventually leads to Fabulous Wealth, but eh. Being a manager means putting company concerns over worker concerns, and I'd hate to do that for the relatively trivial amount of money that they usually initially offer.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Volmarias posted:

We all got a $1000 allowance, with the stipulation that anything we expense to it is in fact company property and must eventually be returned. I assume this is a bluff, but more likely they'll just dock the last paycheck and dare you to figure out how the gently caress to return it instead.

spend it all on food, they probably won't want it back when you're done with it

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I wouldn't mind being an executive but after having once been suckered into a middle management supervisor position when I was younger, gently caress everything about the middle area where you're responsible for all the fuckups of everyone below you, you're the guy on call 24/7, but you don't have the authority to hire or fire anybody. gently caress every single thing about that. If you wanna let me skip from the bottom to the level above that, sweet. I'll take responsibility for people I hired and/or can fire. But I'm not getting stuck in that middle area ever ever ever again.

Volmarias posted:

My kid did virtual charter school for a few years and we got like $500 a year like this for 'education expenses', so we always spent it all on "art supplies".

Imagined fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 7, 2021

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Volmarias posted:

My company just told everyone to take what the wanted from their desk and the asset management team just went "Welp, we ain't seeing that poo poo again" and ordered replacement monitors and docks for after the remodel is done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Volmarias posted:

Buy the most shameful gamer equipment you can find. LEDs on everything. See if the company still wants it.