Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

nitsuga posted:

It’s got me curious too. Do they sound any different or is it more how the guitar feels?

It's just a great quality instrument, and is very rich and bright. Plays great to. But I couldn't pick it apart from any other guitar in a record. Not like resonator different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

nitsuga posted:

It’s got me curious too. Do they sound any different or is it more how the guitar feels?

I’ve played a handful of them. They were all incredibly well built and setup. They’re top tier guitars in my opinion.

Semi-hollows in general do sound a bit different than a standard solid body. They’re slightly more acoustically resonant and have kind of a different vibe to the sound. But they can still get mean if you want them to. It’s hard to describe. Duesenberg makes fantastic guitars though.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Apr 24, 2021

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

I bought a Korg Minilogue XD today. I kept waffling between whether I wanted to pay 500-550 for a used one or wait until a sale at one of the major online retailers. I was going to drive myself nuts waiting, so I pulled the trigger when a near-mint listing showed up on Reverb in limited edition pearl white.

The first time I tried to buy it, I got an error message. It worked the second time, but now there are two pending charges. Hooray.
:toot:

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

The XD is great, got a huge range of very useable functions. It's my one and done synth.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

bees x1000 posted:

The XD is great, got a huge range of very useable functions. It's my one and done synth.

A thousand bees can't be wrong

plerocercoid
Feb 14, 2012
I finally moved into a house instead of an apartment, some of the triggers on my electronic drumset have started to fail, and someone asked if I wanted to record a few drum tracks for a project they're doing. Sounds like a good excuse to buy a new acoustic set.

My cat, inspecting the assembly.

The finished product.

It's funny, I've been playing electronic drums for longer than I ever played acoustic ones at this point, but I immediately felt more at home with this than I ever had on the electronic set.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
My wife wants me to teach her guitar and I could definitely use a good acoustic for recording purposes... So I picked up a Takamine GN93CE with an absolutely gorgeous back.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Scarf posted:

My wife wants me to teach her guitar and I could definitely use a good acoustic for recording purposes... So I picked up a Takamine GN93CE with an absolutely gorgeous back.

Takemine? Well, if you insist. That's sweet.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Scarf posted:

That's a beaut

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

petit choux posted:

Takemine? Well, if you insist. That's sweet.

Ha! You had me thinking I had a typo in my post...

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Got a mini-me for my AC15

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Those rule. Just a few knobs too.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Is that a 4 or a 10? I love my ac-4 but it’s definitely a little bright. I’d never give it up though.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It’s neither actually! It’s a Pathfinder 15R, the now discontinued solid state amp that’s shot up in price lately. I got a really good deal on it and it really does sound awesome, surprisingly AC-ish tones and it gets way louder than I expected lol

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh nice! I had one of those briefly. The gainy tones were great! I took a pic of my weird vox pile before I sold the pathfinder.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Ah, I thought it was an AC4, but that onboard tremolo and spring reverb is sweet.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

nitsuga posted:

Ah, I thought it was an AC4, but that onboard tremolo and spring reverb is sweet.

Yeah it’s nice. I had an AC4 a while back, it’s a nice little amp but getting a clean tone was difficult because the headroom is so low

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Oh nice! I had one of those briefly. The gainy tones were great! I took a pic of my weird vox pile before I sold the pathfinder.

Nice! What’s the one on top, one of their modeling amps?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Nice! What’s the one on top, one of their modeling amps?

Yeah it’s an air adio. It’s a 50 watt lunchbox sized modeling amp. Runs off of batteries if you want. I use it as a portable speaker sometimes.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Yeah it’s an air adio. It’s a 50 watt lunchbox sized modeling amp. Runs off of batteries if you want. I use it as a portable speaker sometimes.

My Yamaha thr10iiw doubles as portable speaker as well. It's pretty cool to have both in one device, even if it is larger than other portable speakers.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

BonHair posted:

My Yamaha thr10iiw doubles as portable speaker as well. It's pretty cool to have both in one device, even if it is larger than other portable speakers.

The Yamaha thr amps definitely sound generally better than this one. The goal for me was to get one that sounded as close as possible to my main big boy vox and it sounds closer.

They're fun little toys.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook
Dropped a pick from the mfg website earlier but now it's in my front door area. Could not be bothered to unpack it where it will live...but had to do it as soon as it was literally possible.
https://imgur.com/a/yxRUm4U

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Basic Poster posted:

Dropped a pick from the mfg website earlier but now it's in my front door area. Could not be bothered to unpack it where it will live...but had to do it as soon as it was literally possible.
https://imgur.com/a/yxRUm4U

The amp or the bass? Both are awesome

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The amp or the bass? Both are awesome

Both are new!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Basic Poster posted:

Both are new!

Nice! What brand/model is the bass? The blue with the tortoiseshell looks great

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Cheapest electric I've ever bought, the shipping cost was more than the guitar!

Needs pots cleaned, a new jack, and two bridge saddles which I should have in the parts box.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
My new keyboard arrived today! Always keep a close eye on "Amazon Warehouse Deals" they resell returned items from amazon, and they often price things in an insane way. For example this Casio WK-7600 typically goes for $500+ brand new but Amazon was listing it for $200 "used with significant cosmetic damage to the top". The thing is they do no inspect the actual item, when Amazon says "cosmetic damage" they mean the box.

My keyboard came in a sticky gross box that looks like someone spilled juice on it. But once I opened it up it was clear that this device had never been touched by human hands since the day it was manufactured. $300 discount for a sticky box? I'll take that!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Rutibex posted:

My new keyboard arrived today! Always keep a close eye on "Amazon Warehouse Deals" they resell returned items from amazon, and they often price things in an insane way. For example this Casio WK-7600 typically goes for $500+ brand new but Amazon was listing it for $200 "used with significant cosmetic damage to the top". The thing is they do no inspect the actual item, when Amazon says "cosmetic damage" they mean the box.

My keyboard came in a sticky gross box that looks like someone spilled juice on it. But once I opened it up it was clear that this device had never been touched by human hands since the day it was manufactured. $300 discount for a sticky box? I'll take that!

Very nice! I actually wasn't aware of 'Amazon Warehouse Deals' at all. Is that a US-only thing, or something? I tried googling it for Australia, but I didn't seem to find much of anything. Either way, great spot!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Major Isoor posted:

Very nice! I actually wasn't aware of 'Amazon Warehouse Deals' at all. Is that a US-only thing, or something? I tried googling it for Australia, but I didn't seem to find much of anything. Either way, great spot!

It may be a Canada-only thing! I checked the Australia site and it doesn't seem to have it, and I checked the US version and there were very few warehouse deals. Oddly enough the UK version of Amazon seems to have just as many warehouse deals as Canada.

Maybe Amazon isn't big enough in Australia to get a lot of returns? I mean you guys are right next to Asia, I imagine that Aliexpress would be a better option anyway

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Rutibex posted:

It may be a Canada-only thing! I checked the Australia site and it doesn't seem to have it, and I checked the US version and there were very few warehouse deals. Oddly enough the UK version of Amazon seems to have just as many warehouse deals as Canada.

Maybe Amazon isn't big enough in Australia to get a lot of returns? I mean you guys are right next to Asia, I imagine that Aliexpress would be a better option anyway

In the Amazon search bar there's a dropdown on the left that you can change from 'All' to 'Amazon Warehouse'. If you scroll down to the very bottom of the page in the lower left there's also a link.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Nice! What brand/model is the bass? The blue with the tortoiseshell looks great

Brubaker jxb-5 in lake placid, serial number 008.

Took a few tries to set up and get used to it, but once I did.... holy hell what an instrument

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

duodenum posted:

I haven’t attempted to record anything yet, still experimenting with GarageBand and the Pod Go. I took them outside to get a proper look at them.

In the light of day, I did notice a couple flaws. On the gloss black we have discolored binding and what looks like it may have fallen face forward, jamming the string into the frets and the fretboard as you can see. I imagine the binding will even out as the guitar ages, and I’ll take a gentle file and polish to the small bit of damage otherwise.

The satin black has a rough spot on the bottom of the neck, might be a missed spot in the final polishing or sanding process. It’s mostly on the plastic black binding there so I should be able to buff that out. Otherwise excellent.

Alright I’ve had some fun playing with these. I’m giving the satin black to my brother in law for his birthday and I’m going to sell the gloss black. I have it listed for $325, but it can go for what I paid ($280) to a goon, if anyone is in the Houston area and would like it. Edit: found a buyer.

duodenum fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 7, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Not really a purchase, per se, but borrowing it.

I can tell it's an Aria, and I know it's probably a 80s or (maybe) an 90s Aria, but past that no one has any idea.

Figured maybe someone here could ID it. Needs some TLC

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Looks like a 1978 ES175 with a replaced tailpiece.

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/identifying-aria-sg-copy.386052/

Pull the pickups to check if they're single coils.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

DrChu posted:

Looks like a 1978 ES175 with a replaced tailpiece.

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/identifying-aria-sg-copy.386052/

Pull the pickups to check if they're single coils.

Not entirely comfortable taking off the headplate with all the strings attached

though, i kind of dislike the plain strings over wound strings, I'm finding my fingers are more easily "slipping"

edit: I'm noticing some electronic issues, the aux slot is kind of worn in (jiggle the cable slightly and the amp produces some feedback) and the RHYTHM/TREBLE 3-way switch on it either is broken, or perhaps one of the two humbuckers is broken/shorted because setting it to TREBLE leaves no amplfication, and you gotta jiggle it a little bit because you may be able to set it back to RHYTHM with no amplification when it was working on that setting a moment before. anyone know how I'd fix that?

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 7, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

GreenBuckanneer posted:

though, i kind of dislike the plain strings over wound strings, I'm finding my fingers are more easily "slipping"

edit: I'm noticing some electronic issues, the aux slot is kind of worn in (jiggle the cable slightly and the amp produces some feedback) and the RHYTHM/TREBLE 3-way switch on it either is broken, or perhaps one of the two humbuckers is broken/shorted because setting it to TREBLE leaves no amplfication, and you gotta jiggle it a little bit because you may be able to set it back to RHYTHM with no amplification when it was working on that setting a moment before. anyone know how I'd fix that?

I think that in the business we refer to as an overhaul.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

You can bend the contact on the jack in to hold the plug better or just replace it.
Same with the switch although it's probably a box style switch that aren't really repairable.

Switches and jacks are cheap the pots could be cleaned but if you're in there you might as well change them for something nicer too it's not like a vintage Fender or Gibson where if something is replaced it can devalue it.
Keep the old parts in a baggie in or whatever just in case you want to pass them along if you resell it.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook
I got to stop. I really do. I will. This is the last one.i can manage my GAS. I'm okay.

I'll be okay.

Fender American Professional II. SSS, oly white, maple, tremolo, v-mod pickups.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Not sure what you’d mean by head plate or why you’d have to remove it. Or why the plain strings on this would feel different compared to any other guitar.

It sounds like this has some wiring issues. You’re going to need to remove the rear control cover and inspect all the wiring connections and resolder anything that’s loose, and possible bend the contacts back into position on the output back and switch if possible as has been suggested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Basic Poster posted:

I got to stop. I really do. I will. This is the last one.i can manage my GAS. I'm okay.

I'll be okay.

Fender American Professional II. SSS, oly white, maple, tremolo, v-mod pickups.

I’m not usually a strat guy, but that guitar fucks.