Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Salisbury Snape posted:

That really had me laughing out loud, the loving bbq!!

lol it's so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

took the daytona 675 track bike out for a little maintenance.

slider is replaced. but I found an alarming amount of glitter inside the engine case so i think this motor is about one afternoon away from seizing.

went ahead and orderd a 2nd engine for this thing and will swap it out over the next two weeks.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Swarf London.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Supradog posted:

I think that may be the case. I mean I check chain slack unloaded but we do poo poo like this on them..

I couldn't really focus at first and I thought that massive pile of tires was strapped on the bike. "There's no loving way," I thought. As I got through more of the pictures I realized hauling 11 tires at once wouldn't really be that out of the ordinary for you.

You're doing motorcycles right.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

speaking of guns and bikes

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

yummycheese posted:

took the daytona 675 track bike out for a little maintenance.

your sprocket lock nut looks just like mine, but I think mine only got rusty when I had the cover off after having to replace the nut (shop didn't fold it over) and was too lazy to replace it

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Strife posted:

I couldn't really focus at first and I thought that massive pile of tires was strapped on the bike. "There's no loving way," I thought. As I got through more of the pictures I realized hauling 11 tires at once wouldn't really be that out of the ordinary for you.

You're doing motorcycles right.

Got to disappoint you there, the biggest number of extra tires I've actually strapped to a bike is 2. I've also done drip coffee makers and big rolls of garden hose, but that was on my fz6n.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

your sprocket lock nut looks just like mine, but I think mine only got rusty when I had the cover off after having to replace the nut (shop didn't fold it over) and was too lazy to replace it

I dont know what the deal is with triumph but that nut + washer is raw steel and all my suzukis seem like they are either stainless or galvanized so they never rust.

Also sorry about your bike.

This daytona I have has Penske suspension front and rear and a yoyodyne slipper clutch installed and it’s basically my favorite bike.

Its not that competitive for real racing anymore but it’s basically a dream for fast group track days. I see myself keeping it for another 5 years no problem.

Also its getting in that sweet spot where spare parts are available and cheapish. A spare motor out of a California bike cost me about as much as a pair of woodcraft rearsets.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

drat, that's pretty cheap. What year is yours?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Doing an indicator swap (to LED)on a Kawasaki ER6N. The front is so easy, it's almost a joke. The back is so cramped, I did not think I could get the connector from under the seat out.

Waiting on parts now.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Yeah..

Dremled off what was needed to get the old sprocket and lock washer out. There are ridges that the lock washer can grip on.

installed and locked.

Rear was hardly worn but gently caress it, gonna buy a full kit anyway.

And installed.

I'll be real careful about slack when loaded.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

yummycheese posted:

I dont know what the deal is with triumph but that nut + washer is raw steel and all my suzukis seem like they are either stainless or galvanized so they never rust.

Also sorry about your bike.

This daytona I have has Penske suspension front and rear and a yoyodyne slipper clutch installed and it’s basically my favorite bike.

Its not that competitive for real racing anymore but it’s basically a dream for fast group track days. I see myself keeping it for another 5 years no problem.

Also its getting in that sweet spot where spare parts are available and cheapish. A spare motor out of a California bike cost me about as much as a pair of woodcraft rearsets.

Not just raw steel, the shittiest possible raw steel so half the time when you undo them the thread gets left behind.

What makes your bike uncompetitive now? Afaict the horsepower in that class hasn't increased significantly, is it just the lack of electronic engine braking + chassis details?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

either you ride more than the entirety of CA combined, or you really need to check your chain condition more often

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

drat, that's pretty cheap. What year is yours?

2012 675r
the R designation gave you brembo front brakes and a quickshifter. everything else is the same

engine is a 2011 gen2

all the gen1 / gen2 engines swap into any of the frames. the only thing is getting later model gen2 engines with all the revisions that make them less explody

Slavvy posted:

What makes your bike uncompetitive now? Afaict the horsepower in that class hasn't increased significantly, is it just the lack of electronic engine braking + chassis details?

Its this. The current stock of racing machines all have ABS and traction control.

Dudes just hold the throttle wide open on corner exit and just let the traction control handle it.
its cool to see in action. people exiting corners have the exhaust popping like mad as traction control kicks in and moderates the power.

the little extra bit of confidence those give you is good enough to outclass the older bikes.

Still love it though. The feel on track is unreal. I tracked an sv650 for years so the suspension upgrade alone is crazy.

yummycheese fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 6, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wait so they allow abs where your are? Wtf, what's even the point of racing then??

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

haha. don’t worry. it wont save you from everything.

its still early in the season here and there was a cold rain the first weekend and there was ~40 lowsides since people are out of practice and dont realize what works in the middle of the summer doesnt work when its in the low forties and damp

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Replaced the temp sender with the broken wire, only to find that the led bulb I installed in the instrument cluster for the idiot light was also broken. My dad thinks he can solder it... If it turns out he can't I'll blung an incandescent back in there while I find a replacement for the led that I don't have to pay a silly-rear end shipping fee on.

Also found out my headlight bracket has only been half mounted since one of the PO's changed how the brake lines were routed. I'm gonna have to make a couple spacers to replace the divider that used to be sandwiched between the headlight and the lower triple tree.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

yummycheese posted:

haha. don’t worry. it wont save you from everything.

its still early in the season here and there was a cold rain the first weekend and there was ~40 lowsides since people are out of practice and dont realize what works in the middle of the summer doesnt work when its in the low forties and damp

How do you even make time with abs, I would've thought unless you have the absolute latest cornering abs, you'd lose time because any attempt at significant trail braking would trigger the system? Or are these guys actually taking the time to remap abs modules? I have never ridden a bike with abs on a race track but unwanted engagement causing you to run wide seems like a common complaint.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Late to the firearms mounting party but...

It weirds me out that the baddest dude in the world (in this movie) is in fact riding what appears to be a modified Virago.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004
George Romero understood that feeling, which is why Ed Harris rides a CBX in Knightriders.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

yummycheese posted:

all the gen1 / gen2 engines swap into any of the frames. the only thing is getting later model gen2 engines with all the revisions that make them less explody

Don't worry, Triumph issued a corrected dipstick for the earlier bikes which just tells you to put more oil in, problem solved

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Slavvy posted:

How do you even make time with abs,

I dont think these things ultimately make you faster. You'd be faster if you dont engage them right?? Running wide on ABS is absolutely a thing.
Its mostly a mental thing in the amateur and intermediate classes. If you wanna make that pass deep into a turn. You can do it with the help of abs knowing your less likely to crash so its ok to be a little more aggressive on the brakes.

The traction control on corner exit is really where its at from where I'm at. There are several places on our track where its off camber on corner exit and up a hill. One spot on track is named "high side hill" since, well people tend to over do it on the throttle application and highside. Its a delicate place. Being fast is about having the confidence to lay on throttle and not over do it. Traction control is killer in this situation. The newest bikes have amazing TC.

Im on the old analog bike so I do it by "feel" and thats dependent on me doing everything right. which may or may not be consistent

MomJeans420 posted:

Don't worry, Triumph issued a corrected dipstick for the earlier bikes which just tells you to put more oil in, problem solved

This is alarming and also sounds very Triumphy

Check out this sketchy revision to a copy of the service manual I have.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Triumph gonna Triumph, but that's funny because I didn't have the corrected dipstick so I just filled it to where that correction says not to fill it.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

wzm posted:

George Romero understood that feeling, which is why Ed Harris rides a CBX in Knightriders.

Yes but the whole point of that movie is that Ed Harris is too pure for this world, which makes the CBX almost too on the nose.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Today i painted my bar end weights. They were getting a bit rusty. Took a whole lot of effort to get one of them off, cause the screw was oxidised badly.
I got some more painting to do (some flakey parts on my mirror stems) but i haven't bothered yet with that, cause i may wanna ride tomorrow and it'll take some time to dry.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Picked up another moped yesterday, 1977 Motobecane Mobylette that had sat in a garage since like 1988. Yesterday we gave it a bath and started de-rusting the tank. Luckily the fuel was left off so the carb was sparkling clean inside.

Today we got it to run off a turkey baster filled with premix.

https://youtu.be/Pms2VpkPhxI

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sick KTM!

That is incredibly cool. Is that an exposed flywheel? Also can you bump start it by pedalling fast then dropping the clutch?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Slavvy posted:

Sick KTM!

That is incredibly cool. Is that an exposed flywheel? Also can you bump start it by pedalling fast then dropping the clutch?

Yeah, exposed flywheel.

It doesn’t have a clutch lever, it’s centrifugal with a belt drive. Left hand lever is front brake, right hand is rear brake. You can see the motor moving in the video via a spring, which allows it to act as a variator/CVT.

To start the bike you just pedal until the motor catches and starts. There’s a choke lever under the left grip and a decomp under the right grip. If you want to ride it like a bicycle there’s a switch on the rear belt pulley that disengages the chain drive from the rear wheel to the motor and just lets you use the bicycle sprocket.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

AnnoyBot posted:

Yes but the whole point of that movie is that Ed Harris is too pure for this world, which makes the CBX almost too on the nose.
He rides a Benelli Sei, which has the six into six pipes, which the sad mortal CBX could never achieve. This is appropriate because Ed Harris is the six into six pipes of acting. Totally blow you away. I own that movie on DVD, incidentally, and no joke Ed Harris is totally loving convincing in the role. Every other actor is like high school level but Ed completely sells it. He's amazing.

helstein
Mar 12, 2006

Got my Jawa 350 1988 model legally registered with the side car. PO hadn't bothered. About 100USD, chatting with a guy, pointing at some stickers and a half hour wait while he was registering and getting a second approval.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Is that a gun hole on the sidecar windscreen?

helstein
Mar 12, 2006

Horse Clocks posted:

Is that a gun hole on the sidecar windscreen?

It's the local version of the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vespa_150_TAP

...or, the wind blew a snow shovel on it this winter, and I haven't ordered a new one yet.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

helstein posted:

It's the local version of the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vespa_150_TAP

...or, the wind blew a snow shovel on it this winter, and I haven't ordered a new one yet.

This is apparently what the dudes who drive scooters through my town think they're riding.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Getting closer to taking the Rex home for the summer; my dad's solder job on the LED held up, so that's back in and the circuit is working. Put the front fairing back together and tweaked the lower mount point so it lines up with the holes on the triple tree. I'm pretty sure that it had banged itself out of position being free-floating for however long. Had to make a trip to home depot for 10mm shorter bolts than I originally bought, but at least it wasn't fine thread. Now it's rock solid.

That took three hours, less the time I spent talking to my mom. I don't think there's a future career for me in motorcycle repair lol

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Added a what I think is a Slavvy approved decal.

Oh and cleaned, relubed and adjusted the chain.
Is it normal for a new chain to stretch around 10mm over the course of 2300km?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Did the chain stretch, or did the frame contract under the withering New Zealander criticism?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

McTinkerson posted:

Oh and cleaned, relubed and adjusted the chain.
Is it normal for a new chain to stretch around 10mm over the course of 2300km?

If it's a DID or whatever no. If it's the factory one then yeah sure why not.

What's that sticker originally from/for/about? It's very appropriate but also works on Suzuki.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

McTinkerson posted:

The bit of rtv on the cylinder head really rides the sticker home.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

He rides a Benelli Sei, which has the six into six pipes, which the sad mortal CBX could never achieve. This is appropriate because Ed Harris is the six into six pipes of acting. Totally blow you away. I own that movie on DVD, incidentally, and no joke Ed Harris is totally loving convincing in the role. Every other actor is like high school level but Ed completely sells it. He's amazing.

While I want to be wrong because I like this post, you can see the valve covers at https://youtu.be/Wq4vRnUFuHs?t=27 and it's totally 100% a CBX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

cursedshitbox posted:

The bit of rtv on the cylinder head really rides the sticker home.

Lol