Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Bloodplay it again posted:

They were gonna release the entire Residents discography in a box set for $50 to only Verified Actual Turntable Owners(tm)
It's actually $100,000. :smith:

Comes in a full-sized fridge:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caligulamprey posted:

That's really cool.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

CPL593H posted:

That's really cool.
:rimshot:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boooooooooooooo. :frogout:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Bloodplay it again posted:

Besides, there's no reason to own any album on vinyl besides this one that Ballz introduced a few years ago. Everything else is just fluff.

On this we can all agree

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

CPL593H posted:

The sad selection of LPs at the B&N in my area doesn't sell any records for under 25-30 bucks.

It's definitely hit or miss. I've gone into some B&N that have what you'd essentially expect to find (a ton of Disney/Marvel/Star Wars stuff, top 40 hits, and represses of The Carpenters) and I've come across others that have had really interesting finds. The only time I've ever seen Yellow Magic Orchestra in the wild is at B&N. I picked up Gnarls Barkley's St. Elsewhere for about $12 a few years back, which was about 1/3 of the price of used copies at my local stores. Had to drive a bit to get it, but I found this Jazz/Disney album for $22 at a B&N as a gift for my fiance, which is about 1/4 of the price US sellers had it for on Discogs. I don't really like listening to it because the only thing more frustrating than getting Disney songs stuck in your head is getting Disney songs in French stuck in your head. At one point, I saw that huge 10xLP Star Wars box set down to $70 and skipped out on it, not realizing it was a price error.

They used to (still?) have a pretty cheap yearly membership that gave you a flat 20% off all media. It could be combined with store promos, so there were several times we walked in with $50 and walked out with 5 or 6 new albums. If I went to any of my local record stores looking for used stuff, I might be able to pick up a couple of albums or three if I get super lucky. When I was collecting more game soundtracks, I discovered it was significantly cheaper to order releases from the UK labels through B&N. By the time all the promos were applied, I was able to get UK/EU releases for $15-20 less than ordering from the label or about $5 less than ordering from a US distributor. It doesn't hurt that there's an old deadhead working in the vinyl section at my closest store because he's always hitting me with music recommendations like Hawkwind or Atlanta Rhythm Section, which are bands I'd never have listened to otherwise.

caligulamprey posted:

I initially read this as $10,000 and thought "around 1/3 of that is the fridge, at least." 3% is the fridge, at least...

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 6, 2021

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

pwn posted:

On this we can all agree

:hai:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm glad that most of the records I buy are from little metal bands on bandcamp because with shipping most cost $20

SuperMarrio
Mar 26, 2005

Those who live by capitalism must be prepared to die by it.

Y2KayBug posted:

Got this record its 200% electronica by Esprit

petit choux posted:

Wow that's pretty.

Hell yes it is. I also bought that from the Vapor95 store in LA over the weekend and had to take some glamour shots, it's so drat pretty

Bought 月光 t e m p l e by バーチャルボーイA t s u too. The record isn't super interesting itself, but that album art tho

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

beergod posted:

On a vintage receiver what is the difference between “L+R” and “Stereo” modes? My Yamaha cr-1020 freaks out when in stereo but seems totally fine in l+r.

Different manufacturers maybe do it differently, but L+R is usually where both channels are combined and sent through both speakers so it’s like mono. If you also have a Mono mode and you’re listening to a stereo album, you might not notice a difference between the two modes. Stereo is what it sounds like.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The Chats are getting a repress.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j58V2vC9EPc

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/...objectID=517664

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I knew my waiting would pay off

https://twitter.com/cloudshillmusic/status/1390305817627267075?s=21

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
4 AM EST? Really? gently caress sake.

edit: or is it 3? google says 4 but everywhere else is saying 7 hour difference. I guess it's academic since I'm not getting/staying up either way.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I hope that was done on purpose to gently caress with people because that is hilarious.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Literally says “EDT” right there in the post

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The gently caress is Eastern Dandard Time

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

pwn
May 27, 2004

Rolo posted:

The gently caress is Eastern Dandard Time

Daylight. When we set our clocks forward in the Spring, we’re in Daylight time. When we set them back in November, we’re in Standard. :eng101:

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
On that note daylight savings time is absolute bullshit and I can’t believe they haven’t gotten rid of it yet.

I also don’t know if this is a limited release or open preorder so might as well set that alarm for 3:55

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Holy poo poo, I can't stop laughing. Reminds me of a couple weeks ago when I snagged this ancient "Book of Bawdy Humor" from our library's used-book store.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Read After Burning posted:

Holy poo poo, I can't stop laughing. Reminds me of a couple weeks ago when I snagged this ancient "Book of Bawdy Humor" from our library's used-book store.

It is pretty awesome.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Thanks for all the replies yesterday about surface noise and popping. I did some research and it turns out the two records that were the culprits yesterday both had complaints on discogs about the quality of the pressing (mainly Aphex Twin's Collapse EP). I put on Trentemoller's The Last Resort, which I've read is a good pressing, and it blew me away. So I guess there are no problems with my stylus or setup or cleaning technique or anything. I was just listening to lovely records.

It's kind of a bummer that it's a crapshoot, but knowing I can't "fix" it I think can help me relax a little bit about it.

Also I can't believe I'm about to set an alarm for 1 AM to preorder Mars Volta records. I wonder if they'll have enough stock or if it will be a PS5 sort of situation.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Schremp Howard posted:

On that note daylight savings time is absolute bullshit and I can’t believe they haven’t gotten rid of it yet.

I also don’t know if this is a limited release or open preorder so might as well set that alarm for 3:55

I really don't understand why people are so angry about daylight savings time.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
$40 for a new LP? How about that much for a 7" single?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

F5ing the cloudshills site, nothing yet

e: they're up on the EU site, not the US site

50+ euros apiece

hexwren fucked around with this message at 09:06 on May 7, 2021

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

US store is up.

$65 a pop for some, $48 for others. Seems a little random and crazy pricy, but getting all 6 main releases came out to $384 after taxes. Nearly the same price as the box set but I wasn't interested in any of the additional stuff in there anyway.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

US site now up, all the record + shirt packages appear to be sold out already

I got de-loused and frances. I might pick up a later record or two if they're still available at some later date, I just wanted to get those two done ASAP

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I also did de-loused and Frances. Not thrilled about the prices, but the last time someone released De-Loused it was $50 at retail and now can’t be had for less than $200, so might as well just go with it if you’ve wanted it for so long.

CPL593H posted:

I really don't understand why people are so angry about daylight savings time.

It’s just really dated and throws my sleep schedule off for a week or so whenever the change happens.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

there's no tangible benefit to it and studies show that the time changes always rack up a massive spike in stress levels, car accidents, etc

it's literally just making people's lives lovely twice a year for no other reason than "we've done it for decades we can't stop now"

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Zulu time is the only way to go.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I like that it’s not sunrise at 3am right now and sunset at 3pm in december. Changing the one dumb clock in my house and the one in my car twice a year is a hefty fuckin’ fee but I gladly pay it to avoid crossing the 3 o’clock threshold :patriot:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

Zulu time is the only way to go.

I don't think that was ever on vinyl, sorry.
ED:
OMG okay I'm actually buying new vinyl today, I can get Caspar Brotzmann's Home as a 2-record set for $25 from MovieMars. It's like a banner day when I actually buy a new record. Here he is performing it live, this is a show that he shared with Wire, among others. Not as good audio but it's kinda cool to see him do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efm2hBcWwdg

petit choux fucked around with this message at 12:04 on May 7, 2021

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
DST makes more sense the further north you go until you go far enough north that it doesn't make a difference. Like PNW said, without DST it would be getting light at 3AM in June in the northern US, and it's bad enough that the rear end in a top hat birds are up at like 4:45 as is.

Actual vinyl content: Picked up a vintage copy of Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick over the weekend, and that's a hell of a fancy packaging job for what was supposed to be a semi-gag record taking a piss on prog rock. For those who don't know, it's a gatefold that opens into a multi-sheet newspaper.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

I don't think that was ever on vinyl, sorry.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I'd still love to get drunk on some really heavy beer and see Caspar and his dad at a small venue.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDjY_NC5y98

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

To me, there are three ur-doom records, maybe four. Caspar's Home is one. Dawn of the Dead soundtrack by Goblin, Eternal Frost by Winter, and every soundtrack ever to every Doom game. You could probably add one or two old metal albums, something.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

That one might be CD only but it rules. Would spin on wax.

The loudest concert I’ve ever been to was a Page Hamilton deal. He’s the best.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 12:23 on May 7, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

That one might be CD only but it rules. Would spin on wax.

The loudest concert I’ve ever been to was a Page Hamilton deal. He’s the best.

LOL, Caspar's dad has the questionable title of being the loudest jazz sax in the world.

I bet the Home album is just a remaster of the original digital recording, so maybe nothing gained in listening to it on vinyl, but I just hadda. Imma party when I bust this one out.

I discovered Caspar in Magnolia Thunderpussy records in Columbus in about 90. I was so floored that I just had to buy the CD immediately. Having good speakers helps. Playing loud helps. Maybe partying will help, too.

I've now bought new vinyl four times now this century, wup wup. Caspar Brotzmann, Gunship and Grimes. And I gave the Grimes to this collector guy.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
got deloused and francis. probably my most begrudging vinyl purchase ever. these had better be nice pressings.