Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
One thing to keep aware of is the right is now utterly united behind the Tories, and they have hoovered up the UKIP- Brexit party votes.

Also the level of home-ownership(60.2 %) and the demographics in Hartlepool.(2011 stats but median age maybe now 50?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 4, 2005

Man who alienated half his voting base in 50% vote drop shocker

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

ShredsYouSay posted:

One thing to keep aware of is the right is now utterly united behind the Tories, and they have hoovered up the UKIP- Brexit party votes.

Ultimately then the problem is too many thick racists.

Are better things even possible in the face of so many thick racists?

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

Speaking as an American, the UK does have the feel of one of our rural "ancestral Dem" states swinging hard fash and staying there. We like to pretend they can still be reached, but only when we're feeling particularly hopeful or masochistic.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Honestly the extent of the loss feels almost like a good thing. I was wondering if they'd be able to spin it as simply Brexit voters going home to the Tories, but it's blatently obvious he's lost a huge amount of 2019 Labour voters too. This isn't just a 2019 result without Brexit, its way, way worse.

PNGYAKUZA
Apr 21, 2021

I'm not a monster, it's just a mask.

a lot of them are old and will die off in a few years?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

PNGYAKUZA posted:

a lot of them are old and will die off in a few years?
This is a feeble hope

Oct 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1390548939057864705

Just a fun little thread

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Reckon we’ll have a GE this summer?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Just in case you had any sliver of doubt about how this will be interpreted

https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1390532351411773440

blues thief
Apr 1, 2013
Yup.

https://twitter.com/wesstreeting/status/1390559422385098752

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jabby posted:

Honestly the extent of the loss feels almost like a good thing. I was wondering if they'd be able to spin it as simply Brexit voters going home to the Tories, but it's blatently obvious he's lost a huge amount of 2019 Labour voters too. This isn't just a 2019 result without Brexit, its way, way worse.

Exactly this. All the Fubpees were getting their "Well Corbyn only won because of the Brexit Party" excuses in last week - if they'd lost only a thousand or even 2 thousand votes over 2019 would have probably let them hold onto that, but this is a really loving clear message - thousands upon thousands of voters that Starmer and his flags and beers had been actively wooing were lost.

It's obvious the next take is going to be it's NIP's fault (they could be said to account for the lion's share of the lost vote) and that they and Momentum, by not wanting to campaign up there, are the real problem and it'll be used to double down on the war on the left, but at this point that's probably a good thing. Let them have their Pasok.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

peanut- posted:

Just in case you had any sliver of doubt about how this will be interpreted

https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1390532351411773440

This is definitely going to be used to remove OMOV for leadership and NEC elections and return to the electoral college, to ensure a coronation for Burnham. Don't be fooled by the occasional good things he's been doing in Manchester, he's just another Blairite but this time with a regional accent, and it'll be that latter they'll claim is the important bit.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

I got banned from twitter years ago but can someone please tell him to gently caress himself?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/wesstreeting/status/835843830188556289?s=21

blues thief
Apr 1, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is definitely going to be used to remove OMOV for leadership and NEC elections and return to the electoral college, to ensure a coronation for Burnham. Don't be fooled by the occasional good things he's been doing in Manchester, he's just another Blairite but this time with a regional accent, and it'll be that latter they'll claim is the important bit.

https://twitter.com/andyburnhamgm/status/1249439296202956805?lang=en

Seems unlikely for many reasons.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Juche Couture posted:

The tories' majority is already huge and they're in power for another 3-4 years, there's really no reason to bother

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Juche Couture posted:

The money could just be put into building and fueling of a Mobile Oppression Palace and be just as effectively spent.

So. Yes.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
hmmm weren't they just saying that no one had mentioned Corbyn to them??

anyway it's odd that the lack of trust caused by the eternal traitor Emmanuel Corbstein would continue to increase a year after he's left the leadership and six months after he was kicked from the party and cause the Labour to win fewer votes than it did in either election where he was in charge

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I mean they went Tory, the voters actually are wrong too.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
yeah as much as I hate Keith (a lot) and think it's funny he ate poo poo (also a lot) I hate Tory voters even more

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

jabby posted:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Exactly this. All the Fubpees were getting their "Well Corbyn only won because of the Brexit Party" excuses in last week - if they'd lost only a thousand or even 2 thousand votes over 2019 would have probably let them hold onto that, but this is a really loving clear message - thousands upon thousands of voters that Starmer and his flags and beers had been actively wooing were lost.

Here's Stephen Bush (New Statesman political editor) this morning. It's the vaccine. It's also a "weak candidate" (no mention that he was the favoured Labour Right candidate incidentally). There is some very very tepid criticism of Starmer, but it's striking how absolutely determined it is to not make any comparison with 2019, despite "the left failed, look at 2019" being the Labour Right's whole schtick for the last 18 months.

quote:

What's striking is the underperformance by the Labour party: their starting point, assuming no Brexit party candidate, was around 40 per cent. Instead they got 28.7 per cent.

The consequence of fielding a weak candidate in the shape of Paul Williams? Of holding the by-election on the same day as the metro-mayoral election? Something else? We don't yet have the other pieces of the puzzle - the results for the elections to the police and crime commissioner election, the local council election and the metro-mayoral races all being held in Hartlepool today and the local and devolved elections across the country.

But it's striking to ask: yes, in my view, most of Labour's electoral problems are a consequence of the vaccine bounce. That will get worse before it gets better as we reopen further and the economy recovers. But it's also correct to say that Keir Starmer has bungled the handful of calls he could make: an unorthodox candidate selection, the bold decision to hold the election on the same day as the other Hartlepool contests. Part of being a successful opposition leader is getting the few things you can control right: and while Starmer has a pretty convincing alibi for the electoral problem he has today, he doesn't have one for the political choices that may give him a different electoral problem tomorrow.

[EDIT: to be clear, my point is that absolutely no lessons have been learned from the scale of the defeat and there will be no critical reflection from the internal party or from the media, despite the result indicating their analysis was utter, utter poo poo]

Niric fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 7, 2021

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Niric posted:

Here's Stephen Bush (New Statesman political editor) this morning. It's the vaccine. It's also a "weak candidate" (no mention that he was the favoured Labour Right candidate incidentally). There is some very very tepid criticism of Starmer, but it's striking how absolutely determined it is to not make any comparison with 2019, despite "the left failed, look at 2019" being the Labour Right's whole schtick for the last 18 months.

FWIW There's no way Ben Houchen doesn't keep his job as Tees Valley Mayor. Absolutely no chance.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

If the media were this determined to absolve the Labour leadership of any guilt for anything in 2015-2017 we'd be 4 years into a Corbyn led majority jesus christ

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Even if uncritically accept ‘vaccine bounce’,shouldn’t a competent leadership have anticipated that there’s be a point where we were all getting vaccinated and hit the Tories when they were weak and completely loving up the ha fling of the pandemic?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Right on cue Mandelson on Today programme claiming the only reason they lost Hartlepool was all down to a party leader who quit over a year ago

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Keir will take full responsibility for this . How you ask? By being Fully Responsible

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

XMNN posted:

yeah as much as I hate Keith (a lot) and think it's funny he ate poo poo (also a lot) I hate Tory voters even more

I hate centrists more actually.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/TimKnot/status/1390568841256779776

Well played

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Lmao Labour are so fuuuuuucked. Utterly doubling down on poo poo politics because poo poo politics is all they know.

Labour aren't getting the old vote back. They're retired, own their own homes and completely detached from reality because of our terrible media. They're quite literally isolated from the effects of a Tory government. Even if you pitch entirely to them it's not going to get through because they read in the Daily Mail that Stalinist Labour are going to push bin pick ups to every 4 weeks. At least with Corbyn there was a new generation getting into politics, getting funding and volunteers for the Labour party and actually challenging their boomer parents and the media. Now theres a limbo where the old vote you're chasing will never vote for you and the young vote have been completely disenfranchised from the party.

Which is what the Labour Right want tbh. They hated the volunteers, they hated the new members and they hated being accountable to the left. The fact their phony jobs rely on them is something they don't want to face up to and won't until it comes to them. Then they'll blame an ungrateful public.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

OwlFancier posted:

It might not win the next election but it's the only thing that seems like there's any future in it. The people who have houses and pensions and poo poo are all gonna loving die before the unpaid debt of the world they wanted catches up to the rest of us.

They’ll pass on lots of that wealth to their children though, so there will still be people with money and houses. All working people now have pensions (that pay £11 a year).

His Divine Shadow posted:

Here is the result of what happens when you alienate everyone on the left.

Who did the left vote for instead then? In Hartlepool, apparently no one?

Or is the problem people dismissing entire regions as being full of thick racists?

Ultimately all our regions are too dependent on central government to decide funding, and they’ve been able to bribe the north east pretty well since 2019.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

For anyone who hasn't been vaccinated / had covid yet Valneva have started recruitment for their covid vaccine.

https://www.ukcovid19study.com/

It's a more traditional inactivated whole virus as opposed to mRNA or adenovirus based but the phase II results look solid. It's two doses a month apart so you'll be fully vax'd up faster.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Most people aren't racists, they just believe racist things. That is, they believe the racist things without any underlying framework because that's the idea that the tabloids, both main parties and the BBC have generally been pushing and they believe it as received wisdom, rather than from any self reflection. For a lot of people they generally fall away when there's a counter narrative.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's obvious the next take is going to be it's NIP's fault (they could be said to account for the lion's share of the lost vote)

NIP got 250 votes.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 08:39 on May 7, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
L

and indeed

MAO

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

It's a weird feeling to wake up to electoral catastrophe for Labour and instead of wanting to jump off a bridge actually finding it funny

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I don't think the "vaccine bounce" should be downplayed. For the vast majority of the public they are going into this election in the wake of lightening restrictions and mass vaccinations (particularly among the age groups that are more likely to vote in local elections. I'm sure there wasn't any reason for that...). They may be tangibly aware that there were some scandals going on, but gently caress even I am not fully aware of what happened and the media certainly aren't raking the Tories over the coals for it. What the general public (i.e. people who aren't terminally online like us) are aware of is that Boris has opened the pubs up and they can see their friends and families. Of course that would lead people to voting Tory.

The obvious problem here is that Starmer has done absolutely nothing to present an alternative. He's agreed with the government more often than I can count - certainly more than the number of policies I know he supports. He is a nothing candidate, a wet paper towel of a human being, with absolutely no principles to get behind.

This should be the end of the Labour Party as an electoral force. If they fail to learn their lesson (i.e. kick out Starmer ASAP and get a proper left leader in again, this time one without the antisemitic baggage that plagued Corbyn), then the Tories should call an election in the autumn and win in an absolute landslide. Right now I'd be surprised if Labour broke 150 seats.

Rupert of Hentzau
Nov 23, 2005
Victim of gross furniture discourtesy.

Barry Foster posted:

It's a weird feeling to wake up to electoral catastrophe for Labour and instead of wanting to jump off a bridge actually finding it funny
yeah that's the one good thing about Starmer, the crushing depression I felt at the end of 2019 has been entirely replaced by Joker laughter.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Corbyn had no 'antisemitic baggage' and a hypothetical left leader would be tarred with the exact same brush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Just checking what Guardian readers are thinking about the election results this morning and it's:

"Stupid voters!!!" :argh: