Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

McNally posted:

Edinburgh.

Cold and wet. Nice, next to some beautiful country but gently caress me is it cold and wet.

Burt fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Dorstein posted:

Does anyone have experience applying for an extension of their GI Bill delimiting date? The recent VR&E change means I suddenly have some extra entitlement that I'm not going to be able to use up in time.

Have you talked to your voc rehab counselor about the changes? I would think they'd be able to advise you pretty effectively

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
I've been done with voc rehab for a few years. I'm doing a master's now. They changed GI Bill so that your voc rehab time doesn't count against it anymore. So I suddenly have a bunch of GI Bill time that is about to hit the fifteen year limit.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Say what now?

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/04/07/new-va-education-rule-allows-some-vets-get-multiple-degrees.html

military.com posted:

"Effective April 1, 2021 VA will not count veteran entitlement used in the Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E) program against the 48-month rule for education programs like the post-9/11 GI Bill," a VA spokesperson said in a statement.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
According to my voc rehab counselor, my school doesn't take voc rehab, just GI Bill.

Fuuuuuuuuck.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

McNally posted:

According to my voc rehab counselor, my school doesn't take voc rehab, just GI Bill.

Fuuuuuuuuck.

All school accept VR&E if they accept the G.I. Bill. That’s how the laws are written. Your counselor just doesn’t want to do leg work for whatever weird school you are wanting to use that isn’t one of the 5 schools he spends 99% of his time dealing with.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
I should caveat to say I learned that from a VR&E survival guide book my wife bought me when I was struggling to get VR&E to help me. So it may be bullshit since it wasn’t an official VA book or anything.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
McNally ain't trying to use VR&E in America

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

McNally ain't trying to use VR&E in America

Oh.

Well, best of luck McNally.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I've reached out to the school. They specifically mention voc rehab on their webpage for US vet benefits without saying "we don't do this," so it's still possible that they'll take it.

Maybe I'll get lucky*? Like they'll let me do GI Bill for tuition and voc rehab for the ridiculous visa fees and poo poo?

We'll see how it goes.

*hahahahaha

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Dorstein posted:

I've been done with voc rehab for a few years. I'm doing a master's now. They changed GI Bill so that your voc rehab time doesn't count against it anymore. So I suddenly have a bunch of GI Bill time that is about to hit the fifteen year limit.

In this exact same boat. I had to pay for my last semester of master's out of pocket; can I file for reimbursement on it as well now that I got back some GI Bill time?

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
That was my approach. After talking to the GI Bill hotline, I had to ask the school to put my program in for GI Bill approval, since they're lazy and only put programs in as they're needed. After that, they'll put in the past two semester's studies.

We'll see if I get paid.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
My school got back to me and said "give us the contact info of your voc rehab counselor so we can turn on the money taps." This was not, unfortunately, a direct quote. But hey, this is promising!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

McNally posted:

My school got back to me and said "give us the contact info of your voc rehab counselor so we can turn on the money taps." This was not, unfortunately, a direct quote. But hey, this is promising!

My voc rehab counselor got back to me on Friday and said she's "not going to be able to get Edinburgh U approved on our station.”

My assumption here is that someone above her said "no, this is gonna be a pain in the rear end."

Gonna contact my congressfucks and see if I can get this resolved.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Apparently my dad is friends with someone who worked with the current Secretary of the VA when they both worked in the White House during the Obama Administration.

I'm going to end up metaphorically nuking the site from orbit, I guess, because best I can figure out there's someone in the process above my counselor who just doesn't want to do the work to approve voc rehab.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
It’s not vocational rehab anymore, fysa. It’s vocational readiness and employment. The strings are being pulled tight on the program nationwide because of *🇺🇸waves hand at America 🇺🇸 *

Or so says the VR&E counselor who is coming up with ridiculous locally generated hoops for a few guys I know to jump through.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

It’s not vocational rehab anymore, fysa. It’s vocational readiness and employment. The strings are being pulled tight on the program nationwide because of *🇺🇸waves hand at America 🇺🇸 *

Or so says the VR&E counselor who is coming up with ridiculous locally generated hoops for a few guys I know to jump through.

Right, I've been saying VR&E in all my emails and such but everyone here tends to just say voc rehab so....

I have an appointment with my counselor on Friday, but I'm hoping the Secretary's office will have reached out by then to light a fire under it.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

McNally posted:

Right, I've been saying VR&E in all my emails and such but everyone here tends to just say voc rehab so....

I have an appointment with my counselor on Friday, but I'm hoping the Secretary's office will have reached out by then to light a fire under it.

Best of luck with them man.

They’re bastards, more often than not, in order to succeed in their hosed organization. If you have the ability to bring forth political pressure on GS-12 Counselors by god do it and please let us know what it’s like dealing with the first person to eat a nuke since the Lucky Dragon went on a 3 hour pacific fishing haul.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
So I heard back from one of my senators already. They reached out to the VARO handling my claim yesterday and heard back today.

What the VA told them is nothing short of infuriating.

First is a copy of the letter that I haven't received yet (since it was presumably mailed Friday or Monday) stating that they were stopping work on my claim at my request because I told them I was going to use my Post 9/11 GI Bill. Yes, I told them that. Because they told me no. So wow, gently caress you.

Second, there's a statement from someone at the VARO to Senator Manchin stating that a veteran has to exhaust all of one educational benefit before they can switch to another. Which is so wrong as to be a lie.

I responded to my case worker with strong refutations of the VA's bullshit with citations where needed.

Holy loving poo poo.

I am going to drop a tungsten rod from orbit on these fucks.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 18, 2022

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Why does the VA have such a hard on for you McNally?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Syrian Lannister posted:

Why does the VA have such a hard on for you McNally?

McNally is veteran jesus. He's going through all this poo poo so we don't have to.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Mr. Nice! posted:

McNally is veteran jesus. He's going through all this poo poo so we don't have to.

"VA VA lama sabachthani?"

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Okay, so having hashed it out with Dorstein in the Discord I think we figured out what the problem is:

My VRE claim is being processed by the Huntington VARO. The VARO that has jurisdiction over foreign schools in Europe is Pittsburgh. We found the VA regs dealing with overseas VRE use and stuff and it looks like I gotta get my counselor to transfer my case to the Pittsburgh office.

If I show up to my meeting (in 12 and a half hours) with PDFs of the relevant VA regs then I'll have crossed all my Is and dotted all my Ts. Hopefully this is ignorance and not maliciousness. I mean, hell, how often does Huntington process VRE claims for vets wanting to go to school overseas? The one dude who ever did it probably retired in 2019.

Feeling hope is always the first mistake but this explanation seems reasonable and as long as I'm ready with the info to keep her workload as low as possible I think this can be saved. For digging up this arcane knowledge I am declaring Dorstein the official subforum VSO.

Meanwhile I need to have Manchin drop a tungsten rod from orbit on whichever idiot tried to tell him that you can't use VRE without exhausting GI Bill and vice versa.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Just finished my meeting with my counselor. When I told her the reason she wasn't able to get my school approved for VRE was because Pittsburgh has jurisdiction, she was so relieved she almost started crying.

So no maliciousness here, just bureaucracy gumming up the works as usual.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 18, 2022

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
I lost track of time a little but a couple of months ago I got a random text that almost seemed like a scam about a VR&E meeting with the VA. It was odd because I hadn’t made a meeting and it came with some sketchy looking link but I eventually found an accompanying email and the link proved legit. This is also odd because I started the process for VR&E benefits and went through the process up the to point of pretty much accepting the benefits since I thought I’d use my post 9/11 for undergrad and save VR&E for graduate. So back on track I used the link to decline and reschedule the meeting because it fell directly during an important chemistry class but I never heard back from the VA again. Basically I feel for McNally but I do kind of hope he is veteran Jesus in this incidence who takes the worst of it so we don’t and I can hopefully get this CONUS VR&E plan going.

Edit: Not reschedule, clarify my schedule better which was pretty much almost any other time than the one they randomly chose with no input from me for a few days out.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
You can't "save" VR&E. Your Post 9/11 GI Bill time burns VR&E time. It's not true the other way around, now that they've changed the 48-month rule.

The next bit is important:

USE VR&E FIRST

edit: I'm sorry to say that poster below me is wrong about GI Bill vs. VR&E time. Definitely right about doing VR&E first. Just read the entire thread.

Dorstein fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 5, 2021

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
False, completely false. VR&E isn’t affected by post 9/11 benefits left, and it’s also no longer the case the other way around.

Using VR&E no longer drains your Post 9/11, and your Post 9/11 no longer drains your VR&E.

I’d recommend using VR&E first for your undergrad. Mostly because it’s much easier to get the counselors to sign off on your plan if it’s your undergrad. Not that they won’t pay for grad school or law school or whatever, it’s just a ton of hoop jumping and begging with some counselors.

Meanwhile, once you complete a program with VR&E they will make it very hard to start another program, even if you’ve got benefits remaining.

Meanwhile post 9/11 is dead simple to use and anywhere it’s accepted your good to go (Some schools are more expensive than what post 9/11 will cover but most of those have Yellow Ribbon as a fall back) at your own leisure and with nobody but yourself to answer to.

If I got this wrong, let me know, but this was a recent change.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Nah, that p well covers it

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

I’d recommend using VR&E first for your undergrad. Mostly because it’s much easier to get the counselors to sign off on your plan if it’s your undergrad. Not that they won’t pay for grad school or law school or whatever, it’s just a ton of hoop jumping and begging with some counselors.

Brother you ain't kidding.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

McNally posted:

Brother you ain't kidding.

Yeah, that was a hard lesson learned for me. Hopefully I can help other new vets.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Mine flat out refused to do postgrad. I didn't argue too much, as I was already in a pretty good gubment job.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

GD_American posted:

Mine flat out refused to do postgrad. I didn't argue too much, as I was already in a pretty good gubment job.

Yeah, that’s a common thread. You gotta fight your rear end off the more advanced the education has to be with VR&E.

You can and will win if you fight them and stay within the letter of the law but those fucks can make it last years.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Yeah, that’s a common thread. You gotta fight your rear end off the more advanced the education has to be with VR&E.

You can and will win if you fight them and stay within the letter of the law but those fucks can make it last years.

Then holy poo poo I lucked out when I found one who said yes almost immediately.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

I think the issue is of you are already working and self sufficient, then you don't qualify for VR&E. I got an immediate yes to law school after I got my history degree after showing my counselor a couple wanted adds for attorneys in my area.

You should all go to law school.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Possibly the only thing even stupider than enlisting

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Guy I was friends with in the Marines did some college but didn’t finish, enlisted at 25, finished his bachelors distance learning, then when he got out did law school and AFROTC and now he’s an AF Reserve JAG or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Ok yeah I had some time left on my post 9/11 to burn on grad but was hoping I could get VR&E for grad school. I l’ve had plenty of time to think about the reasoning to explain why I should receive VR&E and there is a demand for the career field and I’m unemployed and 60% disabled.