Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Looking at the numbers for Hartlepool makes it look more like the Tories got out all the people who voted for them in 17 to turn out (after dinner of them switched to BXP in 19) and Labour got essentially no one to turn out for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

EvilHawk posted:

(i.e. kick out Starmer ASAP and get a proper left leader in again, this time one without the antisemitic baggage that plagued Corbyn)

Corbyn had no antisemitic baggage. Remember that RLB is now a known antisemite, due to retweeting an article by a Labour supporting actor. It's all constructed.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's still time to go with a dirtbag left "hell yeah I'd scrap Trident... 1200 feet above Brussels, Strasbourg, and the Vatican" candidate. Can't do worse than keeth.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Most people aren't racists, they just believe racist things. That is, they believe the racist things without any underlying framework because that's the idea that the tabloids, both main parties and the BBC have generally been pushing and they believe it as received wisdom, rather than from any self reflection. For a lot of people they generally fall away when there's a counter narrative.

NIP got 250 votes.

Oh lol I just glanced and assumed the IND with 7.5% was them. Whoops.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I'm not sure if you're denying that Corbyn spent his entire leadership tenure having to deny things in his past were antisemitic?

It may have been deliberately misinterpreted in the media but those things already existed.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The mental backflips required to say that Labour hasn't moved far enough to the right after losing votes/constituencies secured by the left is staggering. I'm struggling to imagine how much worse it's going to get now.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Pistol_Pete posted:

Just checking what Guardian readers are thinking about the election results this morning and it's:

"Stupid voters!!!" :argh:

Centrist logic is a hell of a thing:

A. Voters elect people/parties that are electable
B. Keir Starmer is very electable
Therefore people who did not vote for Starmer are not true voters

Niric fucked around with this message at 08:50 on May 7, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

EvilHawk posted:

I'm not sure if you're denying that Corbyn spent his entire leadership tenure having to deny things in his past were antisemitic?

Yes he did

EvilHawk posted:

It may have been deliberately misinterpreted in the media but those things already existed.

no they loving didn't

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

I hate centrists more actually.

Good news! You have tories and not centerists.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

EvilHawk posted:

I don't think the "vaccine bounce" should be downplayed. For the vast majority of the public they are going into this election in the wake of lightening restrictions and mass vaccinations (particularly among the age groups that are more likely to vote in local elections. I'm sure there wasn't any reason for that...). They may be tangibly aware that there were some scandals going on, but gently caress even I am not fully aware of what happened and the media certainly aren't raking the Tories over the coals for it. What the general public (i.e. people who aren't terminally online like us) are aware of is that Boris has opened the pubs up and they can see their friends and families. Of course that would lead people to voting Tory.

The obvious problem here is that Starmer has done absolutely nothing to present an alternative. He's agreed with the government more often than I can count - certainly more than the number of policies I know he supports. He is a nothing candidate, a wet paper towel of a human being, with absolutely no principles to get behind.

This should be the end of the Labour Party as an electoral force. If they fail to learn their lesson (i.e. kick out Starmer ASAP and get a proper left leader in again, this time one without the antisemitic baggage that plagued Corbyn), then the Tories should call an election in the autumn and win in an absolute landslide. Right now I'd be surprised if Labour broke 150 seats.

Counter point to that, there was no vaccine bounce. The Tories are polling exactly where they were polling before and after the vaccine. They're at the same rock solid bed of cunts they're always in.

Labour on the other hand have dipped massively.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, checking the top-rated comments and it's all outrage at how these thick northern bigots have snubbed the obviously electable party lol

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I mean, Corbyn definitely had history supporting the Palestinian people. Is this anti-Semitic? Of course not but that didn't matter at all to the media.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Aramoro posted:

lmao someone's salty.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

EvilHawk posted:

This is absolute nonsense, as evidenced by anyone on the left saying anything ever being labelled an anti-semite now.

blues thief
Apr 1, 2013

EvilHawk posted:

Not just in his past, during his leadership he also committed the antisemitic acts of pronouncing Epstein too Jewishly and gifting Boris a copy of A Christmas Carol. Utterly monstrous behaviour.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

EvilHawk posted:

The point is that any new leader will immediately accrue the same baggage

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

I guess any sort of even vague criticism of Corbyn is still not allowed here. Cool.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Counter point to that, there was no vaccine bounce. The Tories are polling exactly where they were polling before and after the vaccine. They're at the same rock solid bed of cunts they're always in.

Labour on the other hand have dipped massively.

I think the "bounce" could explain the usual lack of a dip in the governing party that is seen in the local elections.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Rather than continuing to watch the flaming wreckage of the party sink under the waves I'd like to see some convincing action from the unions and Momentum saying they're either taking the helm again or getting into a lifeboat.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I say this pretty much every year but labour should just run with legal weed. There are so many successful working examples of it in north america now that it would just sell itself.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

namesake posted:

Rather than continuing to watch the flaming wreckage of the party sink under the waves I'd like to see some convincing action from the unions and Momentum saying they're either taking the helm again or getting into a lifeboat.

would you settle for Owen Jones?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

EvilHawk posted:

I guess any sort of even vague criticism of Corbyn is still not allowed here. Cool.

Sure it is. If it's at least true or makes even the least little bit of sense.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

EvilHawk posted:

I think the "bounce" could explain the usual lack of a dip in the governing party that is seen in the local elections.

There is plenty to criticise Corbyn for, but repeating Actual Lies about him - actual, honest to god falsehoods - ain't that.

Don't be so thin-skinned, drat

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

EvilHawk posted:

That's not a bounce that's a straight line.

And we criticise Corbyn all the time, just not with the bullshit made up by our lovely press.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

papa horny michael posted:

would you settle for Owen Jones?

Nah Jones is really soft politically and would be the last to publicly disaffliate with Labour.

Novara have quietly been taking steps back and they were completely embedded with the Corbynite branch.

Oct 4, 2005

EvilHawk posted:

Key word being "vague", as in not supported by evidence

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

lmao someone's salty.

I don't even have a dog in the fight here, we have no real Labour Party in Scotland. But hating centerists more than the Tories that just presided over 100k covid deaths seems misplaced at best.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Fine, going back to lurk. Not particularly interested in having arguments about things that happened all morning.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

EvilHawk posted:

It'd be great if you could provide examples, because I myself am just a little bored with how often people seem to go "He was an antisemite and did continually do these things and no I'm not looking into it because the media can't fool me!"

There are valid criticisms of Labour and Corbyn in particular. But the belief that something can't be created and spun by the press is not accurate to observable reality.

EvilHawk posted:

Fine, going back to lurk. Not particularly interested in having arguments about things that happened all morning.

"These things happened". "Can you prove it". "I don't need to, you should know this already".

Just, if you cover yourself in BBQ sauce when you walk into the lions den don't be surprised when the lion bites you.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 7, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Saros posted:

I mean, Corbyn definitely had history supporting the Palestinian people. Is this anti-Semitic? Of course not but that didn't matter at all to the media.

Labour should get one of those extremely cool leftist leaders who publicly hates Palestinian self-determination, such as

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Labour should get one of those extremely cool leftist leaders who publicly hates Palestinian self-determination, such as

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Trap sprung

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Aramoro posted:

Yes I know, I agree it's better than centrists being in power.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

EvilHawk posted:

Just things thare aren't objectively untrue, otherwise people have criticised Corbyn here for years.

EDIT:
You're gonna run away aren't you thinking you're in the right all along and that corbyn is antisemitic, aren't you? This is just gonna strengthen your idea that we're all irrational corbynistas right?

It's like we can't win, say nothing and we accept you are right and corbyn is antisemtic, say something against it and we're being cultists who can't accept the slightest criticism (I'd say that's a pretty big thing to just accept as true).

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 09:10 on May 7, 2021

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/michaeljswalker/status/1390572879171969026

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jippa posted:

I say this pretty much every year but labour should just run with legal weed. There are so many successful working examples of it in north america now that it would just sell itself.

this was possibly my favourite Keith moment when he responded to a question about decriminalising cannabis with some bullshit about prosecuting many cases involving drugs and seeing the harm caused by drugs and gangs

I mean it would almost be a reasonable point if he was supporting legalisation instead but he wasn't he was saying we should deal with the issues caused by the black market by ensuring there is always a black market

the man is an actual moron

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

When you swerve your car off a cliff the important thing to do is to keep turning.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Ahahahahaha jesus christ they've hosed it.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Zarah Sultana once said she'd celebrate Benjamin Netanyahu's death (and Blair's and Bush's) and supported violent resistance by Palestinians, so if she ever was made leader Labour would go back to being the anti-Semitic party, whilst the Tories continue to provide material support to Erdogan.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/mlothianmclean/status/1390580805047570432

Who'd have thought the Peter Mandelson strategy of "They've got nowhere else to go" isn't working!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1390558607163416579?s=20