Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Pistol_Pete posted:

Just checking what Guardian readers are thinking about the election results this morning and it's:

"Stupid voters!!!" :argh:

Well the Con / UKIP / Britain First voters are also bad

e: gently caress. Going to take a while to photo the cat who is hiding under the sofa currently, hang on

e2: cats are such great pets (she is actually lovely)

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 09:28 on May 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

This is not a historic defeat because it only just happened.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

EvilHawk posted:

Fine, going back to lurk. Not particularly interested in having arguments about things that happened all morning.

You know you could just admit you're wrong. It's not like anyone's going to lord it over you. Right now you just look kinda pathetic.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
^^^^
Yeah it's not like it was really a big deal, it was a mistake, accept it and move on, no hard feelings. Given the media coverage of Corbyn it's kinda expected that most people might think that.

wooger posted:

Who did the left vote for instead then? In Hartlepool, apparently no one?

Yeah, they stayed at home or spoilt their ballots.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 09:26 on May 7, 2021

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

What does change mean? It means we need to change and change faster!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

EvilHawk posted:

I'm not sure if you're denying that Corbyn spent his entire leadership tenure having to deny things in his past were antisemitic?

It may have been deliberately misinterpreted in the media but those things already existed.

Appearing at an event with a Jewish holocaust survivor, for example, is not anti-semitic baggage even if people claimed that Corbyn was an anti-semite because of it. Criticising the banks for their role in the 2008 crash is not anti-semitic baggage even if people claimed that Corbyn was an anti-semite because of it. Laying a wreath for the victims of a terrorist attack is not anti-semitic baggage even if people claimed that Corbyn was an anti-semite because of it. And so on, and so forth.

Indeed, you've voted Labour - you're now an anti-semite according to the press and, eg, the leader of the Greens because of that.

Lurk more indeed.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 09:28 on May 7, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If he was that credible you would think people would have voted for him.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I believed him when he said most of what he said, I just didn't like any of it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Say what you like about corbyn when he shat the bed he at least resigned over it, he didn't demand to be allowed to roll around in it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/misslucyp/status/1389972803097669634

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

So he's a Blairite with even the slightest sense of fair play. He still backed the invasion of Iraq, opposed the investigation of it, and slavishly followed the line of that people who bought us this shitshow. Just because he's managed to wash a tiny amount of the blood off his hands doesn't mean he won't do exactly what Starmer did if he ever gets into power.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I haven't forgotten what he was like in 2015. Man's not trustworthy and even if you think he follows the trend, you put him in charge and he's gonna do exactly as the plp tell him.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
oh hey keith that's a great party you have left there, reducing your actual appeal to one big school disco comprising entirely pampered idiot-moron career politician grown rear end babies from twitter showing each other their harry potter henna tattoos while d-ream's things can only get better plays on an endless loving loop

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The most bizarre thing I keep seeing come up again and again from the right is that the wrong Miliband brother won the leadership.

This is genuinely a real hang-up for them in TYOOL 2021, that if David had been made Labour leaders 11 years ago the entirety of the last decade of politics would just never have happened.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

peanut- posted:

The most bizarre thing I keep seeing come up again and again from the right is that the wrong Miliband brother won the leadership.

This is genuinely a real hang-up for them in TYOOL 2021, that if David had been made Labour leaders 11 years ago the entirety of the last decade of politics would just never have happened.

I got that from some weirdo when I was canvassing in 2019. Had no idea what to say to it, who the gently caress is david milliband except for some weird blair loving freak who moved to america?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If David Miliband had won then he would have had fewer kitchens for the Mail to be antisemitic about, and would have brought us a second Olympic opening ceremony in 2015.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Alt-universe Britain 2021, David Milliband Celebrating his third successive term, while London revels in a permanent Olympic opening ceremony.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Imo it’s far more likely that Labour are eating poo poo for pretty much the same reason they ate poo poo in 2019: center left and SocDem parties are getting squeezed all over Europe. I don’t think Corbyn made a huge difference in 2019 and I don’t think Starmer made a huge difference this time honestly.

Then again Brexit is a uniquely UK thing, so who the gently caress knows.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 7, 2021

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Labour should not double down. They should triple, or even quadruple down

https://twitter.com/dpjhodges/status/1390586566121250817?s=21

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
There's going to be so many right wing opinion pieces helpfully advising Starmer that he can never win until he 'properly' deals with the left of the party.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Starmer has had 18 months as leader. He's been able to transform the internal apparatus of the party, installing his preferred candidates in key positions. He's got control of the NEC. He's got an incredibly obedient PLP with even his most vocal critics generally being very quiet. He's got a press wing that is incredibly fawning over him.

And yet he's lost this seat by significantly more votes than the 'worst election since 1935'.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

peanut- posted:

It was a minor rebuke of Third Way Blairism and where their alt history where they never lost power or elections begins.

Corbynism has the same sort of mindset around 2017, the 'What If' grows more stark and painful as time goes on.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Part of me wonders whether the Labour right are going to see this as a chance to take more control.

You could definitley blame Corbyn, say in addition that Stamer is too close to Corbyn having been his shadow cabinet, then get a less clueless Blairite to take the helm.

SpaceCommie posted:

then get a less clueless Blairite to take the helm

Whoops, I found the error in my logic ...

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
David Milliband would have done worse than Ed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is difficult to see what "take more control" could mean, they have absolute control of all the functional levels of the party.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

OwlFancier posted:

It is difficult to see what "take more control" could mean, they have absolute control of all the functional levels of the party.

This is a good point, but I can't imagine absolute weapons like Philips or Streeting wouldn't relish the chance to sit in the big chair themselves.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Deselect the left wing MP's on trumped up charges, lose those seats in by elections, use it as an excuse to keep doing the same.

They're so concerned with taking control of the clubhouse that they haven't put any thought into what to do once they've got it or if it'll even be worth taking over once they've achieved it.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
David Miliband was the "sexy" one and therefore eminently more electable

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i hope keir gets extra shitfaced this afternoon and falls in toilet :hehe:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Dominic2306/status/1390585426931499013

I mean he's a oval office but he's right.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Gonzo McFee posted:

Deselect the left wing MP's on trumped up charges, lose those seats in by elections, use it as an excuse to keep doing the same.

They're so concerned with taking control of the clubhouse that they haven't put any thought into what to do once they've got it or if it'll even be worth taking over once they've achieved it.

just 5 years spent gleefully slashing their own bouncy castle with razor blades and they're miffed as to why stomping up and down on a big splatter of sad, deflated rubber with a big horrific, warped clown face on is just no fun at all, it must be everyone else's fault that it's not doing fun bouncy bouncy anymore :cry:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

EvilHawk posted:

I guess any sort of even vague criticism of Corbyn is still not allowed here. Cool.

I know this almost probably isn't what you meant, but rethink sentences that can be interpreted as 'Corbyn supported Palestinians in the past is criticism of Corbyn' because everyone should be supporting Palestinians over the state of Israel.

haakman
May 5, 2011

EvilHawk posted:

I guess any sort of even vague criticism of Corbyn is still not allowed here. Cool.

This is a dumb loving take.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

This is a fake account.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
The support of Chris Williamson, who regularly shares stages with Holocaust deniers, was his biggest misstep imo but yeah, the vast majority of the anti-semitism stuff against Corbyn was total bullshit.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

EvilHawk posted:

Fine, going back to lurk. Not particularly interested in having arguments about things that happened all morning.

This thread criticises Jeremy Corbyn a lot. We just collectively dismiss the anti-semitism attack line as complete bollocks & a fine example of Goebbels in action, “If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it." This notion you can't criticise him without being run out of the thread is patently bollocks because I still post despite thinking Jeremy Corbyn spunked the best chance in generations (possibly ever) for the left to reshape the Labour Party, & then for failing to stick the knife in the Labour Party after they'd stuck the knife into him repeatedly.

"He said it Epshtein instead of Epstein is just further proof he is an anti-semite" was a line uttered by "serious" commentators. It's loving deranged. Or deeply cynical weaponising of a legitimate concern, which just ends up trivialising that legitimate concern.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Petition for the Labour party to appoint the Starmer AI as interim leader.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

The Perfect Element posted:

This is a fake account.

Even if it is it's not wrong. There is no centre ground. Just people holding wildly incoherent views that swing all the way from left to right at break neck speed and you have to work to convince them to go with the left by playing to what they want. You don't gain in the centre without convincing people that you're ether far more left or right than you actually are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I got that from some weirdo when I was canvassing in 2019. Had no idea what to say to it, who the gently caress is david milliband except for some weird blair loving freak who moved to america?

Wait, I listened to Today this morning. You are Peter Mandleson and I claim my £5.