Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

bobjr posted:

One nice thing about Game of Thrones is there's so much on the map we don't really explore outside of one character maybe being from there or have traveled there a long time ago.

Plus outside of Westeros there's not a lot of places that seem to care that much about the place.

Indeed, like look at these 2 places

As far as I remember they are not mentioned at all in the main books, maybe in Egg and Dunk or World of ASOIAF? Yet I'd definitely be interested to see a character end up there. Maybe Dany on her way to Asshai?

GRRM definitely played his share of RPGs when designing his world's map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

There's a lot of cool, mysterious locations on Planetos. The problem is they have little to no connection to the main story (any of them, really) and they'd probably never live up to whatever you imagine them to be.

Picture how the ruins of Valyria are described in the books versus what we got the show.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

As far as I remember they are not mentioned at all in the main books, maybe in Egg and Dunk or World of ASOIAF? Yet I'd definitely be interested to see a character end up there. Maybe Dany on her way to Asshai?

I'm going to bonetown

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

If travelling to bonetown one must come from K'Dath, journeying down.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

There is an amazing sex joke to be had somewhere in the fact that Bonetown is right next to The Dry Deep and The Cities Of The Bloodless Men

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

if the targaryans are all lily white people who are into incest how is there a black one in the new series? explain that nerds

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Bridgerton rules fantasy history.

Also part of me wondered with all the backstabbing and rewriting alluded to in the books and the fact they are in POV, part of me wonders how accurate history is about the targs when characters are shown to constantly believe what the reader/audience knows to be false.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 07:54 on May 7, 2021

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ned Stark's ancestor, Ned Stark, unravels a scroll of the Targaryen family tree.

"Viserys, light of skin... Aegon, light of skin... Corlys, dark skinned..."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

lezard_valeth posted:

I'd really love to hear one of the HBO's execs meeting after the final season bombed. Like even with the decline in quality people still loved it, including season 7. They had in their hands the next Lord of The Ring franchise (or maybe bigger since it appealed to "soccer moms and NFL players"), including having a bunch of nerds complaining why they didn't ride a dragon across the Wall to fetch a zombie/ride an eagle to Mordor.

They take 2 years to prepare the last season, the final seal on the check before going to the bank to cash in, going as far as streaming all the other seasons for free just to get as much people onboard and hyped as possible.

And then overnight it was all gone.

I love that the final episode was preceded immediately by an ad that literally said “PLEASE DON’T CANCEL YOUR HBO SUBSCRIPTIONS, WE BEG OF YOU!”

And then HBO lost like like 50% of its subscribers over the course of 2020 anyway because GOT poo poo several dozen beds and aside from Chernobyl, they had literally nothing lined up as a consolation prize to try and keep people around. Two dipshits cost them probably about a billion dollars.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mantis42 posted:

Ned Stark's ancestor, Ned Stark, unravels a scroll of the Targaryen family tree.

ned stark cancelled

:guillotine:

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Honestly I'm willing to give this new show the benefit of the doubt, as I can just stop watching if it's trash and dr. Targaryan is my Bae.

Also,I really am sorry if I pissed people off with my Dany white savior comment. That was not my intention, let me just put it this way; the show's imagery did a lot of work in that respect that the source material avoided, and it just was really blatant to me.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
The people who really wanted to do a Confederacy Wins show took a story which prominently features non-racial slavery and decided to make it racial instead.

Really makes you think.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Orange Devil posted:

The people who really wanted to do a Confederacy Wins show took a story which prominently features non-racial slavery and decided to make it racial instead.

Really makes you think.

Yeah sorry, I'm dumb and have difficulty separating the messages from the imagery even though I know it's different in the books.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Mantis42 posted:

Holy smokes lmao

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

I love that the final episode was preceded immediately by an ad that literally said “PLEASE DON’T CANCEL YOUR HBO SUBSCRIPTIONS, WE BEG OF YOU!”

And then HBO lost like like 50% of its subscribers over the course of 2020 anyway because GOT poo poo several dozen beds and aside from Chernobyl, they had literally nothing lined up as a consolation prize to try and keep people around. Two dipshits cost them probably about a billion dollars.

I mean if HBO had nothing else to offer then most of those people were probably going to cancel their subscriptions anyway even if the ending was good

e: also even if you think D&D cost them a billion dollars by ruining the last season who do you think got them those big GoT bucks in the first place lol

romanowski fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 8, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

romanowski posted:

I mean if HBO had nothing else to offer then most of those people were probably going to cancel their subscriptions anyway even if the ending was good

Luckily Chernobyl ended up being a shitload better than most of Game of Thrones' run.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

An insane mind posted:

Also,I really am sorry if I pissed people off with my Dany white savior comment. That was not my intention, let me just put it this way; the show's imagery did a lot of work in that respect that the source material avoided, and it just was really blatant to me.

I think your comment is fair, although I also think the video Sky Shadowing posted where GRRM talks about how he didn't intend it as racial slavery in the books is exceptionally interesting too.

I don't think anybody is arguing "Dany being a white savior is awesome!" lol, we're more or less on the same page just with different takes on the books vs the show and different ideas about what could be done with the character otherwise.

D&D being incredibly thick and making everything more stereotypical is par for the course.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

stev posted:

Luckily Chernobyl ended up being a shitload better than most of Game of Thrones' run.

It has mild-to-severe inaccuracies in that no one in post-1930's Russia would be summarily executed and no one ran around complaining to anyone in hearing range that they were in a bureaucratic nightmare.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/what-hbos-chernobyl-got-right-and-what-it-got-terribly-wrong

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Sodomy Hussein posted:

It has mild-to-severe inaccuracies in that no one in post-1930's Russia would be summarily executed and no one ran around complaining to anyone in hearing range that they were in a bureaucratic nightmare.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/what-hbos-chernobyl-got-right-and-what-it-got-terribly-wrong

"When asked, by the prosecutor, why the reactor was designed this way, Legasov cites the same reason that other safety precautions are ignored and other corners are cut: “It’s cheaper.” He seems to be damning the whole system.

More often, however, we are given to believe that the three men who were put on trial—and especially one of them, a particularly unattractive villain by the name of Anatoly Dyatlov (Paul Ritter)—are to blame. We see him strong-arming younger, better men into actions that will ultimately lead to catastrophe. All because, it seems, he wants a promotion. In fact, it wasn’t the carrot of a single promotion, or even several promotions, and it wasn’t one nasty and abusive boss. It was the system, made up primarily of pliant men and women, that cut its own corners, ignored its own precautions, and ultimately blew up its own nuclear reactor for no good reason except that this was how things were done. The viewer is invited to fantasize that, if not for Dyatlov, the better men would have done the right thing and the fatal flaw in the reactor, and the system itself, might have remained latent. This is a lie.

It would be harder to show a system digging its own grave instead of an ambitious, evil man causing the disaster."

...did the person who wrote this article and I watch the same show? I feel like we didn't watch the same show.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Sanguinia posted:

...did the person who wrote this article and I watch the same show? I feel like we didn't watch the same show.

:emptyquote:

lezard_valeth posted:

The Five Forts are basically the Essos version of the Wall.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

On the one hand, Masha Gessen is an extremely reliable authority on all things disquieting about Russia, on the other hand that article kind of reads a bit like Neil deGrasse Tyson throwing a fit because the stars in the sky in Titanic were wrong.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

nine-gear crow posted:

On the one hand, Masha Gessen is an extremely reliable authority on all things disquieting about Russia, on the other hand that article kind of reads a bit like Neil deGrasse Tyson throwing a fit because the stars in the sky in Titanic were wrong.

I think its more like Neil deGrasse Tyson throwing a fit because Titanic didn't accurately portray the sinking of the boat. When, you know, it did.

The article claims that the show fails to portray systemic problems and Soviet society as the real cause of the disaster and instead points the finger at specific bad actors and invites them to fanaticize that the whole thing could have been averted if only better people had been in charge, and all of that is exactly the opposite of what the text of the show says. Its baffling.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sanguinia posted:

I think its more like Neil deGrasse Tyson throwing a fit because Titanic didn't accurately portray the sinking of the boat. When, you know, it did.

The article claims that the show fails to portray systemic problems and Soviet society as the real cause of the disaster and instead points the finger at specific bad actors and invites them to fanaticize that the whole thing could have been averted if only better people had been in charge, and all of that is exactly the opposite of what the text of the show says. Its baffling.

Yeah Valery's entire testimony is based on Dyatlov etc's incompetence being the immediate cause of the disaster, but that it was only possible because of (and a direct result of) the systemic failings and the constant denial of those failings throughout society. He explicitly says 'we all need to stop lying' multiple times. The state is then seen to cherry pick his testimony to pin everything in three idiots and ignore/bury the rest. That's the whole point.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

stev posted:

Yeah Valery's entire testimony is based on Dyatlov etc's incompetence being the immediate cause of the disaster, but that it was only possible because of (and a direct result of) the systemic failings and the constant denial of those failings throughout society. He explicitly says 'we all need to stop lying' multiple times. The state is then seen to cherry pick his testimony to pin everything in three idiots and ignore/bury the rest. That's the whole point.

yeah they even make the fact that Dyatlov (and Bryukhanov and Fomin) had their incompetence fed by pressure from above -- Bryukhanov had been trying to get this test done for years, Fomin and Dyatlov were gunning for promotions, etc. doesn't excuse them but does show how they function within a system

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

It's worth reading the transcript of the legasov tapes after watching Chernobyl because they do have a very different thrust to that which the show portrays. The show pivots hard towards 'secrecy is bad and Chernobyl happened because of our love of secrets' with legasov's speech at the trial, which is conspicuously absent from the real life legasov's own words. The show also emphasises the fault of the RBMK reactors safety shutoff and this being kept a secret by the kgb as a primary reason for the disaster to support this. The problem is that this isn't true at all and the team at Chernobyl were probably well aware of the fault and it was not covered up. Legasov's complaints in the tapes are more to do with systemic problems in the Soviet nuclear program and a lot of what we now call 'human factors' and are well recognised contributors to disasters and are taught in areas like aviation and medicine. The problems legasov wanted to highlight weren't even limited to the Soviets and are present in other countries and other industries.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I've only experienced Chernobyl from osmosis from other conversations and the analysis videos posted there and even that's enough to greatly enjoy that it aired

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Happy Thread posted:

I've only experienced Chernobyl from osmosis from other conversations and the analysis videos posted there and even that's enough to greatly enjoy that it aired

If you ever get the chance to watch it, definitely take it. It is a very good miniseries.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Chernobyl's biggest plot twist is that it's from the same writer and producer of Scary Movie 3, Scary Movie 4, Hangover 2 and Hangover 3.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Chernobyl themes hit a lot harder after Covid, seeing as it's about institutional malfeasance leading to avoidable disasters.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Vagabong posted:

Chernobyl themes hit a lot harder after Covid, seeing as it's about institutional malfeasance leading to avoidable disasters.

Watching that first press conference Trump did on COVID where he's cracking jokes and the press is busting a gut laughing and it's clear that he doesn't give a single poo poo about it because he thinks it's just a China problem with Chernobyl still fresh in my mind was absolutely chilling and I knew then and there that it was going to be an absolute disaster of unheard of proportions when it arrived in North America.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

lezard_valeth posted:

Chernobyl's biggest plot twist is that it's from the same writer and producer of Scary Movie 3, Scary Movie 4, Hangover 2 and Hangover 3.

He's even mentioned in Game of Thrones.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I like how you can see the bad pussy line in this graph from 10m away

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
There were only 4 episodes in s8?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GABA ghoul posted:

That's actually the Sansa rape episode. (as we previously discussed) Bad pussy is the season finale and wasn't nearly as low, although is still low.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Collateral posted:

The ratings for the last few episodes might've been lower than the range included in that chart.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Collateral posted:

That graph may have been made before the season was over

Here's another

Oh wow, I never finished True Blood and now I'm curious what it did that was so awful in the last season when it was already pretty bad

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 9, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Season 8 was the final season of Scrubs and it was great. :colbert: Season 9 was a lovely attempt at a spin off that they were too scared to give a different name.

It's weird how consistent Scrubs' ratings are though given how bad the last few seasons (before 8) were.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

stev posted:

Season 8 was the final season of Scrubs and it was great. :colbert: Season 9 was a lovely attempt at a spin off that they were too scared to give a different name.

It's weird how consistent Scrubs' ratings are though given how bad the last few seasons (before 8) were.

Agreed, series...5? definitely started getting poo poo, whenever they introduced Elizabeth Banks. And the forums turned against the show around that time too.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

The parody play with Fake Sansa got 10/10 for some unknown reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

GoT and Scrubs both have way too high of a rating for the later seasons. :colbert:

Also I don't remember exactly what was so terrible about The Good Wife finale. I don't remember it being bad at all.

e: no wait nvm I remember it was the Kalinda green screen thing lmao. For the uninformed, the rumor was that Julianna Margulies(lead actress and show producer) got really upset / jealous that one of her co-stars, Archie Panjabi, was getting as much / more praise than she was. So after s3 or so the 2 characters were never in a single scene together despite being best friends on the show. In the finale, they finally met at a bar except it was green screen / composited footage of the 2 actors.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 10, 2021