Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Petey posted:

...and then did something truly insane I have never seen before, which was tell me to stand 10 feet behind him and watch him set his shoulders, and then, to prove how straight his setup was, he brought his club and head back, looked directly behind him at me, and then hit a 250 straight shot while never looking at the ball, just rotating through while leaving his head looking directly back at me, like an owl.

Would have been pretty funny if he does this and snaps his own neck, and you awkwardly leave the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

that little stunt would both amaze and creep me right the gently caress out :stare:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

Would have been pretty funny if he does this and snaps his own neck, and you awkwardly leave the room.

A shutter goes off.

Four weeks later, he gets the new clubs delivered along with a gothic-font card and photo that says I proved myself a coward who would desert a dying man.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
I should say too that he did it completely without evident ego or pretense, just very matter of fact.

e:

harperdc posted:

A shutter goes off.

Four weeks later, he gets the new clubs delivered along with a gothic-font card and photo that says I proved myself a coward who would desert a dying man.

what is golf but a momentary diversion on the road to the grave

Petey fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 6, 2021

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

harperdc posted:

A shutter goes off.

lmao

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Petey posted:

After my fitting was over, he asked if he could give me a setup tip (not swing), and I accepted. He then showed me how I was consistently opening my left shoulder a bit at setup, and then did something truly insane I have never seen before, which was tell me to stand 10 feet behind him and watch him set his shoulders, and then, to prove how straight his setup was, he brought his club and head back, looked directly behind him at me, and then hit a 250 straight shot while never looking at the ball, just rotating through while leaving his head looking directly back at me, like an owl.

Then he stomped loudly, pounded his chest and screamed, 'THIS IS MY HOUSE!'

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

“We must protect this Dicks Sporting Goods!”

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Actually, question for the chat:

In my current bag, I have my PW (43 deg, 130-150y) and my GW (49deg, 100-120y), and then I have a Cleveland 56 deg CBX 2, which I got last year and like, that I use as my sand and chip wedge, plus anything 100y and in.

The G425s I'm ordering come with their PW and GW equivalent at similar lofts. They also have a 54deg SW and a 58deg lob. I’m wondering if it makes sense for me to get either of those, or if my Cleveland is too close to the midpoint for that to make sense; if it is too close, should I try to sell my Cleveland (and get the SW/LW from Ping), or should I just get another Cleveland (e.g. a 60deg lob).

I'm not really sure how to think about this. My senses is that wedges are right up there with putters with voodoo and sorcery and occult feel. Any advice would be appreciated.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Petey posted:

Actually, question for the chat:

In my current bag, I have my PW (43 deg, 130-150y) and my GW (49deg, 100-120y), and then I have a Cleveland 56 deg CBX 2, which I got last year and like, that I use as my sand and chip wedge, plus anything 100y and in.

The G425s I'm ordering come with their PW and GW equivalent at similar lofts. They also have a 54deg SW and a 58deg lob. I’m wondering if it makes sense for me to get either of those, or if my Cleveland is too close to the midpoint for that to make sense; if it is too close, should I try to sell my Cleveland (and get the SW/LW from Ping), or should I just get another Cleveland (e.g. a 60deg lob).

I'm not really sure how to think about this. My senses is that wedges are right up there with putters with voodoo and sorcery and occult feel. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm basically 10 years behind you with pings, I've got a well-worn set of G15s, and my wedge setup runs as follows:

9i - 125-135y
PW - 115-125y
UW - 90-100y
54* LW - 75y at very most (also functions as my SW)
58* LW - like 60y at most

For what it's worth I find I pretty rarely use the 58, unless I've really got to pop it pretty well when I'm close to the green and have a tree or something blocking me. 54 gets a lot of work. Lob wedges don't have to be scary, but I think people get into trouble by using them far more than they really need. If you've got a good simple chip/pitch with something like the PW or GW then you'll likely be a lot better off just sticking to that. 

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Welcome to the Ping club Petey. Their customer support is fantastic. Also at any point if you decide to upgrade or whatever, they tend to hold their resale value better than most OEMs

shyduck fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 6, 2021

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

I'm basically 10 years behind you with pings, I've got a well-worn set of G15s, and my wedge setup runs as follows:

9i - 125-135y
PW - 115-125y
UW - 90-100y
54* LW - 75y at very most (also functions as my SW)
58* LW - like 60y at most

For what it's worth I find I pretty rarely use the 58, unless I've really got to pop it pretty well when I'm close to the green and have a tree or something blocking me. 54 gets a lot of work. Lob wedges don't have to be scary, but I think people get into trouble by using them far more than they really need. If you've got a good simple chip/pitch with something like the PW or GW then you'll likely be a lot better off just sticking to that. 

These are almost my exact numbers. I only use the lob wedge for true lob pitches to an elevation at like 20 yards, or if I have an absolutely perfect lie and am feeling very good. A 60 yard shot that lands, bounces once and then backs up a bit is always a pretty great feeling, rare as it is for me.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Is it weird that my numbers are way lower than these? I’m a fit guy and swing speed with driver easily clears 100 but I gps’d a 6 iron I thought flew well last round and it went 161 yards. Granted I hit the ball higher than most of my playing partners which actually is kind of nice for holding greens but then I see people saying they hit their 6 like 180 yards and I’m like uhh wait what :ohdear:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
drat, I love playing golf at altitude.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Summit posted:

Is it weird that my numbers are way lower than these? I’m a fit guy and swing speed with driver easily clears 100 but I gps’d a 6 iron I thought flew well last round and it went 161 yards. Granted I hit the ball higher than most of my playing partners which actually is kind of nice for holding greens but then I see people saying they hit their 6 like 180 yards and I’m like uhh wait what :ohdear:

I don't think it's weird. Accuracy/consistency is way more important than distance, and 160 is a very standard/respectable 6 iron distance by any chart I've ever seen.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Summit posted:

Not at all. Like Petey said, if you're consistent you're consistent. Don't worry about what others are hitting.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Man I wanna play golf at something that isn't 30 feet above sea level now.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Kirios posted:

Man I wanna play golf at something that isn't 30 feet above sea level now.

Wait til you get old. The gain in distance is sweet. Hooks and slices not as severe, either.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Summit posted:

Swing speed is only one of many variables that are going to determine how far you hit the ball.

Altitude is obviously one, which is why you can ignore any distance numbers torgeaux posts since he plays golf 5 miles above sea level in the upper atmosphere.

Whether or not you're hitting the middle of the club face matters.

What clubs you're playing matter. Even with the same lofts, different brands/models of irons will have their mass distributed differently across the face - generally GI irons have it more spread out so you have less variability in off-center strikes, while blades or player-irons will have more mass in the center of the face, so a perfectly struck shot should go further.

Then there's the loft issue. Petey just posted about his PW being 43*, which is like a 9* loft in most sets, especially anything a few years older. Mine is a 47* for reference. Manufacturers keep strengthening the lofts of their irons so they can advertise them as going farther than their old sets/competitors sets.

And then there's your angle of attack, which is how much you're hitting down (or not) on the ball. The more you hit down on the ball, the more you'll de-loft the club and generally that will lead to a longer shot since it won't go as high in the air.

Here's the PGA Tour average chart from Trackman, which might be a few years old at this point:

My swing speed is a little higher than tour averages, but my distances with my irons are almost exactly PGA tour average because I don't hit down as much as those guys do, so my ball goes higher.

TLDR: Comparing your iron distances to someone else's isn't really useful.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
All other issues aside, knowing your carry distances is one of the most important ways to improve. So many folks have 180 to the green, but 170 to carry the water just hit their 180 club and don't understand why they're always wet.

If you consistently hit those distances, you're already way ahead of the game.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsfeJQqW4sw

:stare:

Apparently landed center fairway

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yo WHAT

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Charles used to be pretty good at golf. Somewhere over the years he got the yips and developed that awful swing. Looks like he's found his game again.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Daric posted:

Charles used to be pretty good at golf. Somewhere over the years he got the yips and developed that awful swing. Looks like he's found his game again.

I want to say he was down to about a 2 or 3 handicap before he got that swing thought that gave him that horrible hitch.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm proud that I carry my 6 iron 165 but you guys never cease to make me feel like a weak little baby man when trying to golf. :P

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Altitude is a real superpower feeling. In Austin, my driving average is about 240. In El Paso, I was hitting 260-280, no problem. The ball just wouldn’t come down.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
I want to play more at altitude and see how much it really changes. My average drive is 285 here in Houston and I was hitting 240ish with the persimmon last week. It’d be fun hitting 320 if the math holds up.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Daric posted:

I want to play more at altitude and see how much it really changes. My average drive is 285 here in Houston and I was hitting 240ish with the persimmon last week. It’d be fun hitting 320 if the math holds up.

Go to Colorado and set some personal bests, buddy

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Also check out Coyote Moon or Tahoe Donner in Truckee, CA for some 5,800 altitude bombs.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
In theory Denver is only about 6% distance increase.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

The WGC in Mexico City is at like 9000 feet and was a ~15% increase in carry distance iirc?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Here is what Titleist says:

You can calculate the distance gain you will experience (compared to sea level) by multiplying the elevation (in feet) by .00116. For example, if you're playing in Reno, at 1 mile elevation (5,280 ft.) the increase is about 6% (5,280 x .00116 = 6.1248). If you normally drive the ball 250 yards at sea level, you will likely drive it 265 yards in Reno.

https://www.titleist.com/teamtitleist/b/tourblog/posts/the-effect-of-altitude-golf-ball-aerodynamics

But, you see people claiming much larger changes, Nicklaus said he did 2% per 1000 feet.

Another more scientific approach used the same numbers as Titleist. (Same dude doing the calculations)

http://newmexicogolfnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Atmosphere.pdf

And, trackman has a video also agreeing it's closer to 6%.
https://blog.trackmangolf.com/how-altitude-affects-the-distance-your-ball-flies/

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 9, 2021

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Nevada is like -14% humidity so that's worth another 2%. :colbert:

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Any recommendations for golfing footwear? I've been golfing in my running shoes, but I think it's time to upgrade to something with some grip. I'm finally getting good enough that a slight slip in my feet is really noticeable.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

th3t00t posted:

Any recommendations for golfing footwear? I've been golfing in my running shoes, but I think it's time to upgrade to something with some grip. I'm finally getting good enough that a slight slip in my feet is really noticeable.

Depends a bit. If you're used to more athletic shoe fits, you can get ones from Nike, UA, and Adidas that will feel pretty similar and have the more aggressive changeable spikes. Otherwise, there are the super light more casual shoe styles that won't be as grippy (and some sacrifice waterproofing) but will be a LOT lighter and more flexible. Ecco and most of FJ's spikeless series will be more in that category.

I'd go to a Dicks, Golf Galaxy, etc. and try a few out. I keep a stiffer, more supportive set of shoes for wetter days and a really light spikeless pair when it's dry.

E: Couple friends of mine have the FJ Hyperflex and absolutely love them. There's definitely a push for golf shoes these days to have a more light athletic shoe fit than the traditional dress shoe fit.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I've worn a ton of different brands of golf shoes but I've found that the Nike offerings fit and feel the truest to their sneaker counterparts. I have Air Max 1s and 97s in the rotation currently.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
I went from 0 pairs of True Linkswear shoes at the beginning of 2020 to 4 pairs now. I wear them all the time, both playing and as my normal shoes. I’ve walked 36 holes in them and had 0 issues. Best shoes I’ve ever owned.

https://truelinkswear.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjws-OEBhCkARIsAPhOkIYrB3eMSJo_pezCoWXAeGCC8wCQmM19fMXrJ4hmcrZP67Zvd8Sb8m0aAh7CEALw_wcB

I have the OG, The OG Feels, The True Knit IIs and the TL-01. The only pair I’d stay away from is the Eco Knit as I’ve seen several people say they had issues with those.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I've had a couple pair of Trues and they're without a doubt incredibly comfortable, but I also think they're incredibly ugly.

Obviously opinions vary, that's just my hot take.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

I've worn a ton of different brands of golf shoes but I've found that the Nike offerings fit and feel the truest to their sneaker counterparts. I have Air Max 1s and 97s in the rotation currently.

Yeah I have a pair of Nike Lunar Controls that just refuse to die and are super comfortable

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

Nike roshe G (spikeless) and roshe G (tour) checking in. Just don't be a dumbass like me and get the white ones if you play in a constantly wet course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

I've had a couple pair of Trues and they're without a doubt incredibly comfortable, but I also think they're incredibly ugly.

Obviously opinions vary, that's just my hot take.

I have these and people compliment how they look literally every time I golf: https://truelinkswear.com/products/true-og-feel?variant=32891669348481