Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

McGavin posted:

Buy the most shameful gamer equipment you can find. LEDs on everything. See if the company still wants it.

Hello Kitty Everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Cthulu Carl posted:

My company just told everyone to take what the wanted from their desk and the asset management team just went "Welp, we ain't seeing that poo poo again" and ordered replacement monitors and docks for after the remodel is done.

Good, it was probably overdue for replacement anyway.

(I have been in not just one but two companies that moved into shiny brand new digs but for some perverse reason packed up and shipped all their 10 year old 1680x1050 monitors with aged CCFL backlights for reuse.)

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

~Coxy posted:

(I have been in not just one but two companies that moved into shiny brand new digs but for some perverse reason packed up and shipped all their 10 year old 1680x1050 monitors with aged CCFL backlights for reuse.)

"it works so we won't replace it".

... to be fair my secondary monitor at home is a 15 year old 1680x1050 with a faded backlight so I don't have room to talk. But it exclusively exists to display chat windows and pdfs of text so it doesn't need to be pretty.
The true sin is shipping office chairs for reuse if they aren't good chairs in decent shape.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

McGavin posted:

Buy the most shameful gamer equipment you can find. LEDs on everything. See if the company still wants it.

Oh, there's absolutely zero chance that they'll put anything we bought into any kind of active use, and I wouldn't be surprised if this was to just do a tax free write-off thing. Just the same, it's currently... unclear how long in the future this will even be remembered.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Smik posted:

I based my experience off when I had to take a leadership role, but your description still makes it sound like there's a lot more stress. Maybe you're just a lot better at your job than I was when I had to manage people. I've found I'm much happier in a support role.

I mean, you're not wrong... it is more stressful in general, so I wouldn't assume that I'm doing better than you were. For me, the stress is offset by some of the other benefits of the position that you may not have had an opportunity to experience. It's really, really awesome when you see potential and can mentor somebody into a promotion. It's rewarding to assign people to projects based on their strengths and have those projects and people flourish as a result. I like organizing fun team events, although that's been significantly more difficult in the past year and a half. Even shielding people from bullshit, stressful as it is, makes me feel good about how I'm doing.

Sometimes I do wonder why I'm doing this poo poo. It sure ain't the money because on that front it was a completely lateral move. There is potential for more, but in honesty, I don't see myself progressing into a directorship or anything like that. I originally moved to this position because I'm middle-aged, and I recognize that a) my capacity to actually code poo poo is probably going to start degrading in a few years, and b) when I eventually need to find work again, it's going to be MUCH easier to get hired as a manager in my 50s than as a developer.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Finally got access to all my employees data about their pay and such. Ive never been so thrilled to know everyone under me is extremely well paid.

The dumb poo poo is the person giving me system access activated my ability to fire them all but not approve their time sheets or work orders so none of us can do anything productive

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Barudak posted:

Finally got access to all my employees data about their pay and such. Ive never been so thrilled to know everyone under me is extremely well paid.

The dumb poo poo is the person giving me system access activated my ability to fire them all but not approve their time sheets or work orders so none of us can do anything productive

You know what to do.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

~Coxy posted:

Yeah, there were definitely some lovely monitors in the environment when I started in 2019 and Asset Management religiously tracked them. Then right at the end of 2019 we got bought by a different company and we found out they consider monitors to be in the same category as keyboards and mice (the "LOL why would we track that piddly poo poo?" category). Makes our job easier, at least!

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

Imagined posted:

I wouldn't mind being an executive but after having once been suckered into a middle management supervisor position when I was younger, gently caress everything about the middle area where you're responsible for all the fuckups of everyone below you, you're the guy on call 24/7, but you don't have the authority to hire or fire anybody. gently caress every single thing about that. If you wanna let me skip from the bottom to the level above that, sweet. I'll take responsibility for people I hired and/or can fire. But I'm not getting stuck in that middle area ever ever ever again.

This is my boss's situation right now and I feel bad for her. We're dealing a guy right now who's had like 4 years of incidents and just not getting things done. It's taken years of shoving him further and further into a corner where when he decides to just take a day off he's the only one responsible for picking up his own slack. Repeatedly showing up absolutely blasted actually said some unhinged poo poo to people that got the cops called on him. Upper management knows all this, constantly complains to us about him, says really inappropriate (for a professional environment) things about him, but still won't actually -do- anything and won't give her the authority to. It's pretty frustrating!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
So I just got hand picked for a potential new role in a different part of the country and I would really like to take that role but the manager of the person I just talked to is asking if I'd be interested in re-locating. The answer is no and that might be a deal-breaker because my company is eventually going to push very hard for everyone to be in a physical office. They're being gentle about it now but this is a big company with a lot of real-estate sunk costs that they probably want to justify.

This company is going to see a mass exodus over the summer when kids are home, all the summer camps are closed, and people simply can't take care of their kids and work full-time from an office. People aren't even going to be able to do a couple days a week in the office.

This lack of WFH is going to absolutely kill the talent base. I've already talked to a person in another location who interviewed a really talented developer who actually wanted to work for our company but he had to turn down our offer because he was told that he probably wouldn't be able to WFH 100% of the time.

And all this is probably because a bunch of executives who are in charge of all the real estate want to justify their jobs.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Volmarias posted:

We all got a $1000 allowance, with the stipulation that anything we expense to it is in fact company property and must eventually be returned. I assume this is a bluff, but more likely they'll just dock the last paycheck and dare you to figure out how the gently caress to return it instead.

It'll be interesting to see what HR decides to do with a half empty barrel of KY jelly.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

my wife is a recruiter for a large company and recruits mainly for coders and people that manage teams of coders. sometimes she works from home and i hear her doing interviews and they all seem to be going really well until she asks the dreaded This Is A Full Time In Office Role question and about 90% of them end on the spot

it's definitely a job seekers' market right now, which is a weird and rare thing

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

boar guy posted:

my wife is a recruiter for a large company and recruits mainly for coders and people that manage teams of coders. sometimes she works from home and i hear her doing interviews and they all seem to be going really well until she asks the dreaded This Is A Full Time In Office Role question and about 90% of them end on the spot

it's definitely a job seekers' market right now, which is a weird and rare thing

Maybe she should, uh, lead with that.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Imagined posted:

Maybe she should, uh, lead with that.

i think the idea is to lead with the rad salary, tons of personal days and 110% annual bonus and then maybe the in office part doesn't seem so bad

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

boar guy posted:

i think the idea is to lead with the rad salary, tons of personal days and 110% annual bonus and then maybe the in office part doesn't seem so bad

"Hey! I'm glad you messaged me on this dating site! I'm obviously super hot, rich, no kids, love dogs, we're going to get along great! ohbythewayimmarriedhopethatsnotaproblem"

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Has her company tried just.. not doing that? Apart from it being a seekers market, why even try to force coders into an office after Corona, of all positions.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

boar guy posted:

Job seeker's market for particular fields that can be done completely remotely. Let's not get that too mixed up - this is only the case for jobs that are already relatively comfortable in terms of workers' ability to pick and choose. The rest of us are not as lucky.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

SkyeAuroline posted:

Job seeker's market for particular fields that can be done completely remotely. Let's not get that too mixed up - this is only the case for jobs that are already relatively comfortable in terms of workers' ability to pick and choose. The rest of us are not as lucky.

You mean, like coding?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

boar guy posted:

I for one am glad that capitalistic supply and demand job market economics have briefly swung round to benefit the workers. She should tell management to stop being stupid about where their employees touch computers.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theres a company in Japan I won't name that wants a decade+ experience tri-lingual candidate for the same price the lowest paid employee on my team who is fresh out of college is making. This position has been open for a year and a half, so I feel like they're just leaving it open to try and see if they can hit the jackpot.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Personally I wouldn't even want an employee who's demonstrably that bad at making decisions, or looking at two numbers and telling which one is bigger.

Groucho HR "I refuse to hire anyone who would have me as an employer."

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Son of Rodney posted:

Has her company tried just.. not doing that? Apart from it being a seekers market, why even try to force coders into an office after Corona, of all positions.

It's seriously to justify the sunk costs on the buildings they own/lease and to keep the higher-ups in charge of all that employed.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Imagined posted:

You mean, like coding?
Yes. I don't want people getting the false idea it's a broader "job seeker's market" off one particular field. In the best case it just sets others looking to get the hell out of their dysfunctional workplace up with bad expectations.

Entirely separate: love receiving requests that took longer to write up and send over than it would take for the requester, who has access to all the same systems I do and has been doing it for years, to just do it.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

SkyeAuroline posted:

Entirely separate: love receiving requests that took longer to write up and send over than it would take for the requester, who has access to all the same systems I do and has been doing it for years, to just do it.

Thing to do for that is to play dumb and ask if their database or whatever doesn't work. If they push the issue then play dumb again and try to help them use the system they're purposely not using.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
A huge amount of the vulture capital grift is based on selling your property to one of your more easily plundered shell companies for cheap and then renting it back at above market rates. If you don't have to rent a property you need to work out some other system of extracting funds.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

SkyeAuroline posted:

I see that you got my email. Not that I needed confirmation on SA, as I turn Read Receipts on for everything.

So . . . when will you have that report to me? Burnin' daylight here!

For content: I just automated half a process on this desk (by stealing VBA code from myself and torturing it to do this slightly different task) and I'll finish automating it later this month when I teach myself how to make VBA do something I've never made it do before. That'll probably save me . . . hmm . . . I dunno, maybe 100 hours a year, give or take.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

I hate VBA with a passion,

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Zarin posted:

I see that you got my email. Not that I needed confirmation on SA, as I turn Read Receipts on for everything.

So . . . when will you have that report to me? Burnin' daylight here!

For content: I just automated half a process on this desk (by stealing VBA code from myself and torturing it to do this slightly different task) and I'll finish automating it later this month when I teach myself how to make VBA do something I've never made it do before. That'll probably save me . . . hmm . . . I dunno, maybe 100 hours a year, give or take.

Guilty of the first part but only with my manager and only because he takes 48+ hours to respond to time sensitive slacks/emails/vm/anything unless I keep following up.

Join me in VBA hell. So close to the last bit of functionality that will let me automate a shitload of things. (Still haven't gotten approval for my fix to that other process to save 50-100 hours a year myself... but I guess we're getting more IT staff so maybe then?)

Armitag3 posted:

I hate VBA with a passion,

VBA is absolute dogshit. So of course it's the only language any of our tools accept.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dear Fellow Employees,

The business we work fo is in an insanely regulated category, do not tell the friendly reporter from a national newspaper with over 6 million daily readers any loving thing without vetting it by legal and stripping out so much information it reads like a letter home from WWII.

Signed,

The person telling you not to publish our business strategy and methodologies for legal compliance to someone writing an article that you don't even know what its about

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I had been bitching about my last job in this thread for months now. I put in my two weeks in the beginning of April without another job lined up, was unemployed for almost 3 weeks, and now have a chill job with similar pay starting next Monday. Unemployment covered the gap (I didnt think I would get it for voluntarily leaving but I did) and I got to veg out and visit my folks and gf for a bit. All in all quitting without a job lined up was a great idea.

To sum up my last week of work: boss has us do some last minute project to put in a planter using a different departments grant to piss away the money so we don't have anything left over. Boss didn't properly convey to us that pissing away money was the purpose, so we did various things to save money. He delegated the planning of the whole thing to my annoying coworker, who had special treatment and was the only one in tje org still working from home and therefore delegated everything to the in person people.

The planter was a terrible idea, and in the end it was just me and one other person who did all the work. They operated the tractor moving dirt while I did the brickwork and spread the dirt out. I was exhausted and had bloody blisters on my hands after two days of this, and I thankfully missed the last day due to side effects from my 2nd Moderna dose.

I went back a week later to drop off my keys on the way to my doctors appt. There had been no progress made on the planter since I left, and tje office was trashed and full of stuff for some event they were planning. My desk was torn apart. I checked today and my old job still hasn't been posted, meaning they likely promoted one of my coworkers to my position, but seeing as how sampling is involved and she can't drive idk how they're making that work.

I'm glad my last week was spent on another stupid project. Its like how its easier to dump someone when you're mad at them.

[/url]

My last sight of the stupid planter project as I left for good.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Barudak posted:

Dear Fellow Employees,

The business we work fo is in an insanely regulated category, do not tell the friendly reporter from a national newspaper with over 6 million daily readers any loving thing without vetting it by legal and stripping out so much information it reads like a letter home from WWII.

Signed,

The person telling you not to publish our business strategy and methodologies for legal compliance to someone writing an article that you don't even know what its about

But they bought me a green tea and smiled a lot

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

SkyeAuroline posted:

Guilty of the first part but only with my manager and only because he takes 48+ hours to respond to time sensitive slacks/emails/vm/anything unless I keep following up.

Join me in VBA hell. So close to the last bit of functionality that will let me automate a shitload of things. (Still haven't gotten approval for my fix to that other process to save 50-100 hours a year myself... but I guess we're getting more IT staff so maybe then?)

VBA is absolute dogshit. So of course it's the only language any of our tools accept.

I don't know enough about coding to know why I should hate VBA I guess, I'm a computer babby :3: I don't know what that says about the 85% of other computer users out there but welp :v:

I'm doing most of my VBA work in Excel; this task is basically dumping a shitload of data into Excel and then chopping it up into buckets. Before I got here, the process was to query each bit of information one at a time :stonk:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

titty_baby_ posted:

I had been bitching about my last job in this thread for months now. I put in my two weeks in the beginning of April without another job lined up, was unemployed for almost 3 weeks, and now have a chill job with similar pay starting next Monday. Unemployment covered the gap (I didnt think I would get it for voluntarily leaving but I did) and I got to veg out and visit my folks and gf for a bit. All in all quitting without a job lined up was a great idea.

To sum up my last week of work: boss has us do some last minute project to put in a planter using a different departments grant to piss away the money so we don't have anything left over. Boss didn't properly convey to us that pissing away money was the purpose, so we did various things to save money. He delegated the planning of the whole thing to my annoying coworker, who had special treatment and was the only one in tje org still working from home and therefore delegated everything to the in person people.

The planter was a terrible idea, and in the end it was just me and one other person who did all the work. They operated the tractor moving dirt while I did the brickwork and spread the dirt out. I was exhausted and had bloody blisters on my hands after two days of this, and I thankfully missed the last day due to side effects from my 2nd Moderna dose.

I went back a week later to drop off my keys on the way to my doctors appt. There had been no progress made on the planter since I left, and tje office was trashed and full of stuff for some event they were planning. My desk was torn apart. I checked today and my old job still hasn't been posted, meaning they likely promoted one of my coworkers to my position, but seeing as how sampling is involved and she can't drive idk how they're making that work.

I'm glad my last week was spent on another stupid project. Its like how its easier to dump someone when you're mad at them.

[/url]

My last sight of the stupid planter project as I left for good.

I'm really happy for you and I hope your next job isn't a stressful mess

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Armitag3 posted:

But they bought me a green tea and smiled a lot

They didn't even do that! They just called up the day before a national holiday demanding answers immediately after the national holiday and it was a clown car of people tripping over themselves to tell them everything, not knowing any of it, and reaching out to me.

My immediate response of "Tell them in legalese to gently caress off" was derided as "so American"

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Telling the press all about how your company is illegally avoiding taxes and regulations is 100% the correct thing to do

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Darkest Auer posted:

Telling the press all about how your company is illegally avoiding taxes and regulations is 100% the correct thing to do

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

At the interview for the job I'm starting, one of the questions was like "how have you handled being in a less then ideal workplace?". I didnt intend to, but I pretty much spilled the beans about all the dysfunctional poo poo from my last job and told them how I tried to keep my head above water while looking for other employment and eventually just put in my two weeks without anything lined up. I expected a negative reaction but they told me "yeah man sometimes all you can do is watch out for yourself, and it sounds like you made the right decision". I felt elated, as everyone else had told me not to quit without a job lined up and that a gap on your resume is bad etc etc

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

titty_baby_ posted:

At the interview for the job I'm starting, one of the questions was like "how have you handled being in a less then ideal workplace?". I didnt intend to, but I pretty much spilled the beans about all the dysfunctional poo poo from my last job and told them how I tried to keep my head above water while looking for other employment and eventually just put in my two weeks without anything lined up. I expected a negative reaction but they told me "yeah man sometimes all you can do is watch out for yourself, and it sounds like you made the right decision". I felt elated, as everyone else had told me not to quit without a job lined up and that a gap on your resume is bad etc etc

Eh, I figure you've got at least 8 weeks before you have a gap. "March 2010-March 2021" and then your new job could be "April 2021-December 9999"

I don't remember if, in applying to this job, I needed to give specific dates or not. Even so, I think that it's not uncommon to take a couple weeks off between jobs. A lot of people were surprised that I hadn't already relocated before beginning work at this place and I was like "lmao how would I have done that?"

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
My work is "reopening" the office to public visitors and phasing out WFH in June. Are we going to require employees get vaccinations and/or wear masks? Remodeling the office to ensure social distancing? Making any changes to help increase the flow of fresh air and limit recirculation of dirty air? Increasing the frequency and thoroughness of cleaning?

Answer: lol!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Zarin posted:

I don't know enough about coding to know why I should hate VBA I guess, I'm a computer babby :3: I don't know what that says about the 85% of other computer users out there but welp :v:

I'm doing most of my VBA work in Excel; this task is basically dumping a shitload of data into Excel and then chopping it up into buckets. Before I got here, the process was to query each bit of information one at a time :stonk:

Someone else can probably comment on why VB specifically is terrible; I work with two separate forks of it (Excel's implementation of VBA, and the custom script language our VT100 terminals run on), and both have significant usability issues in places. The Excel issues are more a relic of outsourced legacy code and Microsoft loving up new versions than anything to do with VBA specifically, though; our giant bottleneck is that in order to get a pretty GUI for file processing, the geniuses that made our processing scripts set up two DoEvents calls per cell operation. In Excel 2007, which all of this was written for, that's not really an issue - it just means that the GUI elements process the changes made at each operation so that progress bars work smoothly and the soft-break button works responsively. 2010 changed this. It now updates EVERYTHING on each DoEvents call - even without formulas it tries updating the whole sheet. Two times per cell. The script checks every cell in the import template out to the last row occupied by an identifier.

I believe the last sheet that I ran through as a test for optimization was 7,000 rows of 60ish columns. It went from 50 seconds to multiple hours. The only workaround is using a pre-2010 version of Office, which we apparently no longer have any licenses for installing, so one computer with internal hardware damage is the last remaining computer that can run these files. The entire database depends on this input method and doesn't accept any other bulk input, which is kind of a problem since those file sizes are normal and the alternative is one at a time.

Currently no plans to implement my rewritten patch job, research an alternative fix, or implement a new system.

This is where the resentment for VBA for Excel specifically comes from in my experience - it's "easy to learn" so it's cheap to outsource to someone who will never maintain it, and those flaws WILL come back to haunt you.
e: that's a lot of complaining about the Excel side. The terminal scripting actually isn't bad, it just doesn't really support any memory of any significant amount and the array implementation sucks. Considering it's a 90s emulator to interface with software developed for 70s system, it's exactly what you'd expect. All my issues there are with the actual emulated software resisting the emulation.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 7, 2021