Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Cage posted:

Tell that to "My Name (8)" soon to be "My Name (9)". I only sign up when its $5 for 3 months or something.

I get why you'd do this if you didn't care about any of the paid content but I have to mention that this has similar vibes to the people that think they're getting away with something by retiring at 30 by eating oatmeal 3 times a day for the rest of their lives.

e: ugh loving page snipe ahhh well anyone ever get trigger finger? I mentioned this in the bearpope discord but 1-2 months ago I developed trigger finger on one pinky after sim racing for like 6 hours in a day and I still have it basically just as bad as I did when it was new. It's awful and frustrating. Do your stretches!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

KillHour posted:

Do you only ever race rookie oval or something?
Yes absolutely.

VelociBacon posted:

I get why you'd do this if you didn't care about any of the paid content but I have to mention that this has similar vibes to the people that think they're getting away with something by retiring at 30 by eating oatmeal 3 times a day for the rest of their lives.
Oatmeal 3 times a week is very reasonable. You can make it sweet or savory, healthy or unhealthy and that gives me four other days a week to make a delicious egg breakfast. (play forza 7, with the good music)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Cage posted:

Yes absolutely.

Oatmeal 3 times a week is very reasonable. You can make it sweet or savory, healthy or unhealthy and that gives me four other days a week to make a delicious egg breakfast.

But it was 3x per day!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
That is too much oatmeal.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

iRacing needs a limited free trial for each car because I promise if you tried skips, you'd never go back.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I still think iRacing are missing a trick by not having rotating free content (think League of Legends) to hook people on things while they have temporary access.

Also I'd recommend anyone with even a vague interest in mp racing try that offer, 20 bucks to run rookie mazdas until you get bored is good enough all by itself, without even going into the other included content.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

I read some further reviews of the G29 compared to the DFGT and it seems like it makes more sense for me right now to just save the $$ and put it toward a belt driven wheel.

I guess I'm gonna get in on this $20/year of iRacing as well, never played that before. Most of my time playing lately has been ACC and GT Sport.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Vando posted:

I still think iRacing are missing a trick by not having rotating free content (think League of Legends) to hook people on things while they have temporary access.

I totally agree with this BUT they should have their own lobbies.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Aardvark Barber posted:

I read some further reviews of the G29 compared to the DFGT and it seems like it makes more sense for me right now to just save the $$ and put it toward a belt driven wheel.

I guess I'm gonna get in on this $20/year of iRacing as well, never played that before. Most of my time playing lately has been ACC and GT Sport.

yes belt driven is nice G29 or G920 isn't going to give you a super big upgrade over DFGT other than DFGT is getting aged and sometimes is a pain in the rear end.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

I’m holding onto my DFGT until some reviews of that new direct drive base from fanatec drop. If it ends up being a lower torque DD1 I’m sold.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

I’m holding onto my DFGT until some reviews of that new direct drive base from fanatec drop. If it ends up being a lower torque DD1 I’m sold.

Yeah. I just got a Quest 2 as well so I think the VR should do well enough to help my immersion and keep things interesting in the meantime. Do you know the name of the base you're talking about? Seems like it could be up my alley.

EDIT: https://www.gtplanet.net/fanatec-reveals-csl-dd-20210421/ I think this is what they were talking about

Aardvark Barber fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 6, 2021

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Bentai posted:

If anyone has been on the fence about iracing, this is quite possibly the cheapest a one year subscription has ever been for new accounts:

Thanks for this. I signed up for a new account, not having much paid content on my older very lapsed account. It's nice to get back into this.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Raceroom is finally going to take a definitive swing at dislodging iRacing as the defacto online game by finally launching the ranked system they've been talking about for years. Their system is a straight lift of iRacing's dual ratings (iRating becoming ELO, safety rating becoming reputation) with faster cars locked behind higher reputation scores. It looks initially like they're going to be rotating tracks daily, with a weekly special event, and are also copying the rookie system with the entry races being solely done with the free content. Time will tell if it grows a decent community but I think only R3E has the breadth of official content to really challenge iRacing here, that they're trying to set up iRacing but with cheaper content and no subscription is pretty cool to see.
https://game.raceroom.com/multiplayer-rating/

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I really shoudl give raceroom a shot but I really don't want to buy more content.. I've bought iracing content, AC content, Pcars2 contentl, I"m up to my ears in content.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

njsykora posted:

Raceroom is finally going to take a definitive swing at dislodging iRacing as the defacto online game by finally launching the ranked system they've been talking about for years. Their system is a straight lift of iRacing's dual ratings (iRating becoming ELO, safety rating becoming reputation) with faster cars locked behind higher reputation scores. It looks initially like they're going to be rotating tracks daily, with a weekly special event, and are also copying the rookie system with the entry races being solely done with the free content. Time will tell if it grows a decent community but I think only R3E has the breadth of official content to really challenge iRacing here, that they're trying to set up iRacing but with cheaper content and no subscription is pretty cool to see.
https://game.raceroom.com/multiplayer-rating/

It would be interesting for iRacing to have competition on this front but last I looked R3 was still using DX9 and had atrocious VR support which I feel liks is a bigger barrier to entry than needing a "number go up" system

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

VR is non-negotiable for me but it would be great for iRacing to not have a stranglehold on the genre.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I think R3E has pretty good VR support, it runs well, looks good but still has the UI require a mouse to navigate which makes it annoyingly clunky.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

To be fair the iracing VR ui also needs a mouse

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Yeah the mouse is one issue but the r3e frame rate was awful and I can't imagine how theyved fixed it unless they're no longer using dx9

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They've definitely fixed it, even before my last PC upgrade it was just fine on what were technically not minimum VR requirements. I'm pretty sure they changed engine a little while back as well so are almost certainly not still on DX9.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

njsykora posted:

They've definitely fixed it, even before my last PC upgrade it was just fine on what were technically not minimum VR requirements. I'm pretty sure they changed engine a little while back as well so are almost certainly not still on DX9.

interesting, i might have to give it another try then. No/bad VR support is a full dealbreaker for me it's why I can't play ACC at all

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
For what it's worth VR for me in RRE is awesome, I bought all the content a while back in a deal for about £70 too, the trick is to buy credit on their own store and buy it that way rather than as DLC on Steam.
Performance is good too, no problems. It's a solid sim I think, but one of the ones that fell through the cracks.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah they do a Black Friday deal every year where you can get the entire content library up to that point for about £40-50, it's a hell of a deal.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I need to finally check out RaceRoom. I am not really sure what keeps making me to not get around to it. I guess I am just too into iRacing since i've been with it for 10 years now.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
RaceRoom is good poo poo, and their "buy everything" sale is a superb deal. It has better than average AI, stellar audio design, and runs acceptably for me in VR (on par with iRacing). The demo is free and worth messing with.

Also, I finally got my AccuForce wheel hooked up, and god drat does this thing feel great! I upgraded from a G27, and yeah, these force feedback effects feel so detailed and precise. I don't have the power cranked way up (in part because my Obutto cockpit doesn't seem totally ideal for supporting this thing; I'll make an 80/20 pit one of these days), but even running it below its limits, just the level of subtle detail is really striking.

I don't expect this will make me a better driver (pedals remain the most important upgrade for that, IMO), but it sure feels great.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shine posted:

RaceRoom is good poo poo, and their "buy everything" sale is a superb deal. It has better than average AI, stellar audio design, and runs acceptably for me in VR (on par with iRacing). The demo is free and worth messing with.

Okay you convinced me, I am going to get in on this today.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Aardvark Barber posted:

Save just a little bit more - the Fanatec CSL DD is going to obsolete the entire mid price belt-drive market.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah but remember you have to wait for v2.0 of that wheel so it’s gonna be a while

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

How many of you who actively race with other people actually find racing vs AI gratifying? It feels very hollow to me and it's not because the AI isn't good enough.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

AI is what you race against when no-one wants to race what you want to race on the track you want to race it on.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

yeah it's rough to race against AI when you're use to racing against people.
1. it's hard to find the right Level of AI so it seems competitive where you're not spanking them every lap and they're not spaking you
2. it's hard to feel any kind of "whoops my bad" when you divebomb and drive into their door a little (also nervousness about damaging your vehilce or theirs)
3. it's just not the same.

In the summer I do race against AI in F1 / Nascar / AC becuase I'm generally doing stuff outside and enjoying summertime, so I dont really want to follow a racing system schedule I just wanna hop on and race if it's rainy or whatever.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Tuning the AI is easily the worst thing about AI, and it baffles me that not every game has at least an option for adaptive difficulty at this point.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I like to put the AI difficulty way down and live out my fantasy of being a good racing driver

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I like to keep it at a point where I consistently win of I don't gently caress up. Usually where I am 0.5-2.0s faster a lap depending on the track.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

peter gabriel posted:

I like to put the AI difficulty way down and live out my fantasy of being a good racing driver

Drive multiclass in iRacing and pretend it's not multiclass. Best of both worlds!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I've played some adaptive AI racing games I wanna say Nascar game of some kind and wow did it suck the rubber banding was stupid until you raced each track a little.

It would be nice to have like a time trial / qualifying that will then scale the ai skill level. Having it in something like f1 2020 would be cool especially because you have incentive to do practice sessions etc.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Instead of racing against AI, I just enjoy doing hot laps / time trial. Racing on real world tracks in VR by yourself is extremely rewarding in its own way (VR racing loving owns and is extremely immersive, I never get bored of it).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I do not like AI racing because it either seems to feel boneheadedly stupid, but in a different way than, say iracing rookies is, or it feels like each driver is a terminator sent back in time from the future to murder your lap times.

I like racing with real people because they act like real people. Some of them are better than you, some of them aren’t, they all do human things

It’s very hard to explain other than to say it’s not the same

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I like racing against decent AI (RaceRoom is good, and iRacing, funny enough, has excellent AI), but I'll take hotlapping over lovely AI (Project CARS).

I like to use the variable AI spread in iRacing. Have a range of lovely to quite good AI, so that I always have positions to battle, even if I don't win. Better than having all the AI be the same difficulty. IR also gives AI individual strengths and weaknesses even within the same difficulty, to try to make a "no two AI are exactly the same" experience. It's not perfect, but it's way the hell better than typical AI racing.

I'd do more online racing, but nowadays I'm so tired that I barely have the mental energy for simming, period, let alone for doing an actual race where I have to be mindful of not screwing things up for actual people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It surprises me that iRacing has actual good AI, but the devs were clearly intentional here in that they are doing it in small updates each season. It started off with just one Porsche 911 available, and has been expanding little bits at a time. They want to release it in a state that is actually good, and are not just tacking it on.