Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Why do those greydwarf shits hate my beehives so much? :orks:

PittTheElder posted:

I'd say make a sword because swords are great, but also just hang onto it for now. It gets used again in more stuff later.

What's the advantage of a sword over an axe apart from slightly less weight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The sword swings slightly faster and does a power strike at the end of its combo. Also it has a high damage secondary attack. It is the more versatile combat weapon though not a vast improvement over the axe in terms of normal attack damage. You can certainly get by with an axe as your main weapon rather than a sword, though a mace offers greater utility in damage variety.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

at present it seems to work best with maces for most things, spears for animals, and axes for trees

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I see, thanks.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Swords have that alternate attack stab that's basically spear length but you'll have to take my frost hammer from my cold dead hands.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Grevling posted:

Why do those greydwarf shits hate my beehives so much? :orks:

put fences up around them and the bees will sting them to death while the greydwarf stands there staring at the fence

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Flesh Forge posted:

put fences up around them and the bees will sting them to death while the greydwarf stands there staring at the fence

I did, one of them still almost wrecked one of my hives with rocks.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

dogstile posted:

Swords have that alternate attack stab that's basically spear length but you'll have to take my frost hammer from my cold dead hands.

I've actually swapped to the sword for the Plains, the frost effect IS nice, but I'm trying out the higher damage and wider swings which seem to clear up Fulings a little better.

I also have an unhealthy attachment to the Atgeir, the special attack is excellent.

Actually, that's one of the things I really hope they add with the next update - a scythe, that swings like an atgeir, but only damages grown plants, and collects them as it does.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

My wife installed Fartheim and now this is the most hilarious game she's ever played. She's 40. So, y'know, if you're looking for additional content through mods...

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
after a ton of me being stupid, i got valheim+ installed on the fresh goon server, this is pretty cool. cooking from chests showing you food totals is a loving gamechanger

now i gotta learn how to do all these neat building tricks

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Grevling posted:

What's the advantage of a sword over an axe apart from slightly less weight?

The attack speed is way higher. I was a sword denier for a long time but axes simply do not compare.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Swords are faster and their attack sequence is wide slash, reverse wide slash, big diagonal overhead, which is just super versatile and visually pleasing. Less damage than other weapon types but IMO you'll land more hits.

The axe attack animation is just super awkward in comparison.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Grevling posted:

I did, one of them still almost wrecked one of my hives with rocks.

I dunno what's different, my greydwarves never did that :shrug:

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

PittTheElder posted:

The attack speed is way higher. I was a sword denier for a long time but axes simply do not compare.

Thanks, I guess I'll be making me a sword. Goodbye iron.

Flesh Forge posted:

I dunno what's different, my greydwarves never did that :shrug:

Greydwarves in my world are probably smarter. They still have no sense of self preservation though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I changed away from the sword almost immediately because the Porcupine is absurd.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Is the porcupine better than frostner?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It does more damage, especially once upgraded which is super cheap, but it doesn't do the freeze or spirit effects, so it's contextually less good e.g. against swamp stuff. Porcupine brutalises loxen though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Depending on how you set up your base defences if you dig a moat, you can fairly reliably get gobbos to fall in and end up wet, which causes frost damage to do more damage.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So just got this game and slowly working my way into it, and I'm curious what the point of the 'The forest is moving' event thing is. Am I supposed to be holed up in a fort when those hit, or what? The first one I had no clue what was going on, got slaughtered. Second one I was actually in my house and was able to pop all my foods and be fully rested and was actually able to beat it. The third one I was in middle of building a new home base, so got caught with my pants down completely and basically zero warning, no time to get food or anything... Still killed a bunch of them but just got overwhelmed eventually due to lack of stamina.

So far these have all happened when at was at or near my spawn point, is that how they always work, or do they happen where I am?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

The Locator posted:

So just got this game and slowly working my way into it, and I'm curious what the point of the 'The forest is moving' event thing is. Am I supposed to be holed up in a fort when those hit, or what? The first one I had no clue what was going on, got slaughtered. Second one I was actually in my house and was able to pop all my foods and be fully rested and was actually able to beat it. The third one I was in middle of building a new home base, so got caught with my pants down completely and basically zero warning, no time to get food or anything... Still killed a bunch of them but just got overwhelmed eventually due to lack of stamina.

So far these have all happened when at was at or near my spawn point, is that how they always work, or do they happen where I am?

You are supposed to beat them, best build some defense and always carry food with you. They'll change with the bosses and are kinda foreshadowing the upcoming boss.

They are tied to a base (with your current spawn I think) and will pause if you teleport away f.e.

Sufficient early defense are stakewalls or trenches

haldolium fucked around with this message at 09:25 on May 7, 2021

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
In fact, with the exception of one I think trenches probably trivialise all of them.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

haldolium posted:

You are supposed to beat them, best build some defense and always carry food with you. They'll change with the bosses and are kinda foreshadowing the upcoming boss.

They are tied to a base (with your current spawn I think) and will pause if you teleport away f.e.

Sufficient early defense are stakewalls or trenches

They are tied to your location the very moment they go off, but aside from that you got it.

A couple hastily-placed campfires will mostly trivialize The Forest Is Moving because regular greydwarves can't attack near them.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Specifically, IIRC, they target on the nearest workbench to a player's current location when they fire.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Interesting. I wasn't sure as in 160h all events were occuring at actual bases of mine and IIRC always tied to the spawn bed base. Could be something else too though.

Did someone had an encounter in the wild with a rudimentary workbench setup?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I've definitely had raids at tiny outposts (specifically, twice at my plains farm, lately, thanks surtlings and skellingtons), but thinking about it, I'm not sure I've had one anywhere there isn't a bed, so it might well be tied to beds rather than benches.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
I only ever get troll invasions. Are other invasions tied to killing the plains boss, or did it bug out somehow? I cant for the life of me find a hint or location, and I'd rather wait for more content until I "finish" the plains.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

valuum posted:

I only ever get troll invasions. Are other invasions tied to killing the plains boss, or did it bug out somehow? I cant for the life of me find a hint or location, and I'd rather wait for more content until I "finish" the plains.

Invasions are tied to bosses killed, and the biome you're currently camping in. There's a table at the very bottom of this reddit post under "Event Spawners" giving the details:

https://www.reddit.com/r/valheim/comments/n3pn4g/enemy_spawning_explained/

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

haldolium posted:

Interesting. I wasn't sure as in 160h all events were occuring at actual bases of mine and IIRC always tied to the spawn bed base. Could be something else too though.

Did someone had an encounter in the wild with a rudimentary workbench setup?

I've had raids happen when mining and had a workbench and fire by me, nothing else at all

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
For clearing fulings, the best weapon I've found is an atgeir. Fulings stop to swing when they are attacking you, so when you get the timing right you can just take a step outside their range and use the atgeir's massive aoe/knock back to keep it going, since atgeir's range is greater than the range of their attacks. It can get tricky if there is a spear thrower, but i've killed packs of 4 and 5 this way.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 7, 2021

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Thanks for all the event info. My first 'base' is pretty terrible which is why I was in middle of building a new one when I got attacked. I do plan a moat for this new one, but since the base in general is still under construction I didn't have any defenses built at all when they hit me. Oh well, die and learn!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Spear throwers should have to run around looking for their weapon after throwing it at me. gently caress those guys.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Speaking of invasions, got a new one recently. The skeleton surprise is a lot of loving skeletons, goddamn.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

joepinetree posted:

For clearing fulings, the best weapon I've found is an atgeir. Fulings stop to swing when they are attacking you, so when you get the timing right you can just take a step outside their range and use the atgeir's massive aoe/knock back to keep it going. It can get tricky if there is a spear thrower, but i've killed packs of 4 and 5 this way.

Yeah, Atgeirs are an excellent weapon for the plains - the knockback/stagger controls fulings well (though, doesn't work as well on * ones, and ** ones can almost entirely resist it), the 360 swing helps when you get swarmed and agaisnt deathsquitoes which really like coming up behind you, and pierce is the only damage type Lox don't resist. It's not so good for shamans and berserkers though.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

Speaking of invasions, got a new one recently. The skeleton surprise is a lot of loving skeletons, goddamn.

The skeletons are tired of fighting

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Skeleton surprise is great because you can run around obliterating entire clumps of them.

Then a green one shows up and you're all OH HELL I guess I have to be careful now.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

xzzy posted:

Spear throwers should have to run around looking for their weapon after throwing it at me. gently caress those guys.

:summons fresh new spear and throws before you finish your 3 hit combo:

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

xzzy posted:

Skeleton surprise is great because you can run around obliterating entire clumps of them.

Then a green one shows up and you're all OH HELL I guess I have to be careful now.

When a skeleton surprise pops up I grab a sledge and smile.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Retrowave Joe posted:

When a skeleton surprise pops up I grab a sledge and smile.

I made a boathouse/lighthouse/regular-rear end-house combo on our server on a tiny island a small distance from a friend's massive keep. When a skeleton surprise happens they all very politely march across the bridge to me, where I wait with a porcupine, and get obliterated 3-5 at atime in a single swing.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

The Locator posted:

My first 'base' is pretty terrible ...

My first base is the tiny little basement of my four story Sams Club sized iron wood supported base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

When Skeleton Surprise fires I'm furious because it means I'm about to pick up 1000 useless bones