Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Farg posted:

The WoL kills Zenos by poisoning his food

Shove the last remaining canister of White Rose in the entire world right down his throat then punch him hard enough in the gut to rupture the can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Bruceski posted:

Ravana and Susano as well.

I want a tag-team Ravana + Susano Trial. Just let me have the two most EXTRA Primals being total bros while they try to murder me.

Cleretic posted:

I would accept Giott being the one to kill Zenos.

No explanation given, because she's too drunk to remember how she got there, but she does suplex Zenos partway through a big dramatic speech.

I like this idea. Let's bring Giott in to suplex every stupid plot character/contrivance that needs to be done away with.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://fanfest.finalfantasyxiv.com/2021/na/message-board/

Dev team members posted a few comments on the Fanfest site and Ishikawa lets slip that Estinien's surname will be revealed in 6.0

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

the_steve posted:

Fandango will go for the Sudden But Inevitable Betrayal only for Zenos to remind him that being an Anime Himbo gives him plot armor against other villains.

How DARE you. A himbo must be beefy, dumb, AND kindhearted. Zenos qualifies for beefy and probably qualifies for dumb, but he is not kindhearted at all.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Waffleman_ posted:

Dev team members posted a few comments on the Fanfest site and Ishikawa lets slip that Estinien's surname will be revealed in 6.0

'it will be your WoL's surname, because he's your husband now'

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Waffleman_ posted:

Estinien’s surname is Wyrmblood.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

nidhogg specifically targeted his family cause having a last name like wyrmblood is a little hosed up

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Estinien’s surname is Wyrmblood.

I believe Wyrmblood is a title because his name in Japanese is Toryu no Estinien, or Dragonslayer Estinien.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah. It's a weird name because it doesn't really fit Ishgarian naming conventions, and almost sounds like something an edgy teenager would take when he decides to devote his life to killing dragons.

It also fits the other way though. Saying someone has the blood of a dragon could be saying something noble, somewhat similar to how they describe the various imperial dynasties in Elder Scrolls as Dragonborn, although there's a bit more to that aspect there.

Waffleman_ posted:

I believe Wyrmblood is a title because his name in Japanese is Toryu no Estinien, or Dragonslayer Estinien.

That's fair too. EE presents is like a surname but it could have been because of that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah. It's a weird name because it doesn't really fit Ishgarian naming conventions, and almost sounds like something an edgy teenager would take when he decides to devote his life to killing dragons.

It also fits the other way though. Saying someone has the blood of a dragon could be saying something noble, somewhat similar to how they describe the various imperial dynasties in Elder Scrolls as Dragonborn, although there's a bit more to that aspect there.

I took it to be an honorific rather than a last name. Estinian is so good at killing dragons people started calling him Wyrmblood, but it is not and never was his actual last name.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea it's an honorific thing, I imagine if his surname is going to be some level of a 'reveal' rather than just told to us there's going to be some tragedy element where he felt he had to abandon his proper name and make the mantle of 'Wrymblood' his identity instead.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

He changed it to Wyrmblood because that sounded way more Dragoony than his original last name of Johnson.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea tbh I want it to be just full chuuni bullshit where we find out his last name is actually one from a perfectly average upper class family that was loving and encouraging and managed to survive the war nice and safe and all, and he just wanted a cool dragoon name.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

estinien's real last name? highwind.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Vitamean posted:

estinien's real last name? highwind.

highwind but french

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Chillgamesh posted:

highwind but french

L'ighwind

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Sherry Bahm posted:

I want a tag-team Ravana + Susano Trial. Just let me have the two most EXTRA Primals being total bros while they try to murder me.
https://twitter.com/surfacage/status/1173577674805006336

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I can only pronounce Fandaniel's name as Fan Daniel.

like he's really excited he gets to play a villian in his favorite rpg series and he's hamming it up so hard that he's consistently one once of excitement away from wetting himself.

I get that he and Zenos are both 'I'm murder happy please kill me' characters but unless they do something interesting with him Fandaniel just kinda feels like he might as well be a whacky zanny version of Avatar's firelord; a totally flat character. no hate, everything else about that show is fantastic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FunkyFjord posted:

like he's really excited he gets to play a villian in his favorite rpg series and he's hamming it up so hard that he's consistently one once of excitement away from wetting himself.

I get that he and Zenos are both 'I'm murder happy please kill me' characters but unless they do something interesting with him Fandaniel just kinda feels like he might as well be a whacky zanny version of Avatar's firelord; a totally flat character. no hate, everything else about that show is fantastic.

I mean I feel like in the year 2021 we can't really say that a wacky assholes filled with nothing but hate is an unrealistic villain

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Oh sure but most of his scenes strike me like wiley e coyote learned to talk. I come from the midwest and the racists and overt trump people don't start dancing and smiling like a child at a birthday party when they express their hatred.

He's a magically genocidal daffy duck with a death wish.

I dunno, I definitely don't want to knock anyone for liking him, and really there jusy isn't enough to him yet imo, he just comes off as maybe the villian with the absolute least amount going on character wise.

I think the towers and how they've pushed that realm of the story are good and neat I just find the character behind them to be rice paper levels of thin.

I get being awakened as a sundered messed him up in all sorts of ways that the game hasn't begun to explore yet, but his performance and writing feel like that one kid in theater class who always went extra hard despite not being able to act and his scenes also fail to give me 'good because its bad' vibes.

Again, I don't really know yet but I don't like him so far. I'm also really new to ffxiv and maybe having every story bit up to current made some past villians not come off like this to me. Were any previous villians recieved similarly? I guess I somewhat frequently see Zenos hate in here, I don't share that but I can totally understand how anyone would think he's ultra boring.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

FunkyFjord posted:

How else are you supposed to say it

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

FunkyFjord posted:

Again, I don't really know yet but I don't like him so far. I'm also really new to ffxiv and maybe having every story bit up to current made some past villians not come off like this to me. Were any previous villians recieved similarly? I guess I somewhat frequently see Zenos hate in here, I don't share that but I can totally understand how anyone would think he's ultra boring.

I feel like people felt similarly about Asahi, so fitting I guess.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

FunkyFjord posted:

I mean, I compare him to Exdeath for a reason: Exdeath is the single most one-dimensional villain Final Fantasy's ever had (seriously, even Garland has more to him), and that's perfect for who he is and the game he's in. Final Fantasy V needed a villain who you just plainly and simply hated, because it's a game designed with the assumption that you're gonna be going all-out with the wildest poo poo you can think of and feeling good about it. It wouldn't have worked with a more sympathetic enemy like, say, Kuja.

XIV has villains that just don't try to be likeable except as villains before (both Nidhogg and Vauthry feel like they nail different sides of Exdeath's original formula), but I don't think they've ever had someone quite as actively loathsome as Fandaniel seems to be before. And I think that's wonderful to finally get, I'm really looking forward to a boss fight that gets everyone on the exact same page of 'can't wait to gently caress this guy's face up'.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
people were extremely "ughh this villain is gonna suck" about emet in 4.4/4.5

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Farg posted:

Emet didn't exist as the focus of an expansion and suck there too though.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
neither did fandaniel?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

My mind just went to Zenos. Like poo poo at least Only Fans Daniel is having fun with it and eating every inch of scenery.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Farg posted:

People were extremely sure ShB would suck because of time travel shenanigans

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Eimi posted:

Emet didn't exist as the focus of an expansion and suck there too though.

Have you the strength......to be less wrong?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Have you the strength......to be less wrong?

I will not apologize for being correct.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cleretic posted:

I mean, I compare him to Exdeath for a reason: Exdeath is the single most one-dimensional villain Final Fantasy's ever had (seriously, even Garland has more to him), and that's perfect for who he is and the game he's in. Final Fantasy V needed a villain who you just plainly and simply hated, because it's a game designed with the assumption that you're gonna be going all-out with the wildest poo poo you can think of and feeling good about it. It wouldn't have worked with a more sympathetic enemy like, say, Kuja.

We could be getting an FFV world 2 moment:

"We're gonna stop you, Exdeath!"
"Do you even know what I'm trying to do?"
"...no, what is it?"

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

e: There's honestly a lot they could do with going to the moon. Sure there's tons of 4 stuff they could sprinkle all around, and we know about Anima, but we're taking a step off the planet and in to nearby space so they could do basically anything they wanted. There could be more Dissidia side content than anything else for all we know.

Cleretic posted:

I guess I can totally see this.

quote:

XIV has villains that just don't try to be likeable except as villains before (both Nidhogg and Vauthry feel like they nail different sides of Exdeath's original formula), but I don't think they've ever had someone quite as actively loathsome as Fandaniel seems to be before. And I think that's wonderful to finally get, I'm really looking forward to a boss fight that gets everyone on the exact same page of 'can't wait to gently caress this guy's face up'.

While I'm definitely already on the 'can't wait to trash this trash' train I definitely felt like Nidhogg and Vauthry both had a lot more going on, or at least represented a lot more than 'i couldn't care less about literally anything and can barely wait to die' boy. Perhaps it's just my experience of him coming in to the story immediately after Emet, who is probably my favorite written villain so far.

Farg posted:

Even though I enjoyed him way more than Lahabrea or Elidibus I could totally see this being the case if the only thing he appeared in for months or more was one of his introductory cut scenes clowning on Garleans.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
re: zenos they should give him the majima everywhere treatment from yakuza

https://youtu.be/lpH25fgtM0o

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I believe in Ishikawa's power to make me care about ascians

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

People were extremely sure ShB would suck because of time travel shenanigans

Yeah, it's pretty much been forgotten now, but there was a lot of hesitancy about ShB and Emet. I definitely recall concern over Emet being some kind of wacky cackling clown villain based on his appearances as Solus in SB. Everyone was prepared to go to Garlemald so there was a pretty mixed reaction to the news that it's actually going to be an alternate dimension/time travel expansion featuring some minor antagonists from two years ago. Even the positive reactions were mostly just "This sounds weird, but it could be interesting I guess."

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Ishikawa was just asked who her favorite NPC is

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Ishikawa posted:

I'd say Fandaniel and his [???].

Onlyfans Daniel indeed. :imunfunny:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Eimi posted:

Ishikawa was just asked who her favorite NPC is

Fandaniel and his massive hog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

His Fandongiel