Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Ruffian Price posted:

Thanks for reminding me that over on PC people pay $400 extra for that sort of difference :laugh:
To be fair in those cases the baseline is already twice the horsepower of the PS5 and XSX combined or something equally preposterous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Asteroid Alert posted:

Can you fill me in on why these are so coveted?

They are console branded is pretty much the reason.
Price is decent, consumer expects a good baseline of performance and guaranteed compatibility from official peripheral.
The ps ones are also hard to get.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Is there a third party blue tooth solution for Xbox?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Bluetooth's latency sucks for games, but there are third party headsets with their own 2.4GHz dongles. What sucks is that you can't use the same one on Xbox and PS, there's some platform-specific poo poo

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

~17 hours into my mostly blind playthru of original FF7—Aerith just left the party and went into the sleeping forest. This poo poo is amazing, lmao. It's kind of insane how much content there is in this game so far. I kinda want to do a more completionist run after I beat the game, but I also want to start X/X-2 since that'll be on Game Pass by the time I finish. Conundrum!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

teagone posted:

~17 hours into my mostly blind playthru of original FF7—Aerith just left the party and went into the sleeping forest. This poo poo is amazing, lmao. It's kind of insane how much content there is in this game so far. I kinda want to do a more completionist run after I beat the game, but I also want to start X/X-2 since that'll be on Game Pass by the time I finish. Conundrum!

In terms of the PSX original, you're still on the first of three discs! It really is a gigantic game. If you want to see all there is to see (within reason -- breeding a gold chocobo to get Knights of The Round summon is probably overkill,) you can easily sink a hundred hours into it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

teagone posted:

You're like eh, half-wayish abouts? I can't fathom what a more completionist playthrough would be since most of the content is open in the end game.

Like theres an optional limit break you missed most likely, but you'll never use it later so who cares

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

enojy posted:

In terms of the PSX original, you're still on the first of three discs!

:psyduck:

Barudak posted:

You're like eh, half-wayish abouts? I can't fathom what a more completionist playthrough would be since most of the content is open in the end game.

I guess you more than likely missed getting Aeris's final limit break.

Nope. The last Limit Break I got for her before she left the party was Breath of the Earth, lol. I relegated Aerith to healing/casting duties and wanted to focus on making Tifa a beast; I got Dolphin Blow the other day. By completionist I more so mean hunting after the Xbox cheevos. Right now I'm just doing a lore-run I guess and am not too concerned at all about what achievements I unlock. Although, I guess the proper lore-run would've had Aerith take Cloud out on that date during the Golden Saucer 2nd visit. Tifa though :allears:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You do you but I'd be burned out by the end of the playthrough to go back in.

There are 4 missable achievements you could concievably need to play the game through again for, with 2 of them all but guaranteed you won't get without a guide. You've actually already passed 3/4ths of them already, the 4th one requires completing a one time minigame near the end of the game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Achievements ruined games and gamers alike

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Achievements that encourage me to play a game in a different way than I normally would, or present me with completely optional challenges outside the scope of the actual game are cool and add replay value. Very few games use achievements in that fashion though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

American McGay posted:

Achievements that encourage me to play a game in a different way than I normally would, or present me with completely optional challenges outside the scope of the actual game are cool and add replay value. Very few games use achievements in that fashion though.

Yeah achievements that are like, hey, beat this section without [move name] are neat.

Achievements that are kill 20,000 enemies in a game that has a total of 2,000 enemies in it can go to hell.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Barudak posted:

You do you but I'd be burned out by the end of the playthrough to go back in.

There are 4 missable achievements you could concievably need to play the game through again for, with 2 of them all but guaranteed you won't get without a guide. You've actually already passed 3/4ths of them already, the 4th one requires completing a one time minigame near the end of the game.

Hmm, we'll see how I feel after the estimated 50ish hours it'll probably take me to beat the game. I might just dive right into X/X-2 afterward instead, not sure yet.

[edit] I just looked at the achievement list for FF7 and it all doesn't seem too bad tbh. I was planning on using a guide for the completionist run anyways. With how much I've enjoyed the game so far, I think cheevo grinding for it won't be so bad really.

Real hurthling! posted:

Achievements ruined games and gamers alike

Yeah, won't argue against that. But any excuse for me to play more of a game I enjoy is ok I guess. I actually haven't perfected a game on Xbox yet, so figured FF7 would be my first one.

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 7, 2021

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

teagone posted:

Yeah, won't argue against that. But any excuse for me to play more of a game I enjoy is ok I guess. I actually haven't perfected a game on Xbox yet, so figured FF7 would be my first one.

Good luck with that.
It's probably more rare on Xbox, because there's no concrete counter like Platinum Trophies on Playstation.
Just more points for the points pile.

Latest game I've perfected on Xbox was the Oblivion back in 2006. :shrug:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

adhuin posted:

Good luck with that.
It's probably more rare on Xbox, because there's no concrete counter like Platinum Trophies on Playstation.

It tells you x points out of y total possible points. Theres no "you're done with the base game!" Which there probably should be since games like Control get weird as you can unlock DLC achievements in the base game.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

adhuin posted:

Good luck with that.

I'm no stranger to achievement hunting with no real tangible reward for doing so because of Steam.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Everyone be sure to try steep. It's so good, and it's seen a ton of improvements since it's original launch.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

bushisms.txt posted:

Everyone be sure to try steep. It's so good, and it's seen a ton of improvements since it's original launch.

Still the best snowboarding game and really pretty.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

If SSX 2012 gets fps boost I'm going to be overjoyed. I know it's not super popular but the asynchronous multiplayer was really fun and they did add some really great things to that entry in the series, such as the wingsuit. I think the main complaints were too many death pits and the weird "boss" stages, both of which were valid complaints but weren't significant enough to detract from the overall fun, imo. When you really leveled a character up and got some great gear it was a stupidly fast game that would benefit a lot from being 60fps. It really sucks that the IP is dead after the game exceeded EA's sale expectations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The controls suck but it's kinda fun.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prgDiyd2eIs

looks pretty good

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

you'd think for a video focusing on the graphics, they coulda uploaded it at a decent bitrate and 4k
the new effects look amazing. i wonder if STALKER 2 will look anywhere near as good

Juliet Whisky
Jan 14, 2017
Hey, anyone with a Series console and Resident Evil 8: I like the ray-tracing on Series S (although it halves the framerate) but there's also a weird flickering on some surfaces with it switched on, as if the ray-tracing is updating at an even lower framerate than the game.

Is it just me? Playing on a cheap modern TV, so it could be some HDR / dynamic contrast bobbins going on with that (although I'm pretty sure I am set up according to the TV config tool).

Without ray-tracing it is at or near solid 60fps, looks fine and plays much better but it's nice to have options.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Real hurthling! posted:

Ray tracing on console is going to be a total poo poo show of compromises for a long time sadly

Considering the new consoles are RTX 2000 level, it's gonna be like that until the .5 upgrade versions.

It takes a special combination of good DLSS, ray tracing and all around optimization for me to maintain high frame rates on my pc's 2070 Super. I think the only game I've played more than 10 minutes with it on so far is Control.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

control has a really annoying visual thing where the glare off lights will snap unnaturally to catch up with camera movement and i couldn't play it with rt on. like if you are moving around adjusting the view constantly you see the halo of light adjusting itself from one side of a light source to another. the only one else i've seen mention it and be bothered by it is the nx gamer tech analysis vid that goes into what's happening but i found it really distracting and it ruined their RT mode for me from the very first room in the game.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Soul Glo posted:

Has anybody experienced or heard about a Series X (or Series S, I guess) having a crash of nowhere problem? No overheating warnings, nothing, just a beep, my controller vibrates for a second and then a black screen and the console is completely off, while my controller flashes the Home button, like it can't find a signal. I reboot the console, no warnings about turning it off properly like a computer might do or anything like that, no corrupted data, everything's fine, like nothing happened. Very weird.

It happened twice in the first week I had it, about a month ago back to back in an hour while playing Madden 21. I figured it was a problem with Madden, uninstalled, and haven't seen anything like it since. Have had the console running for probably 100-150 hours since, lots of gameplay, but I also turned off power saving and left it idling at the home screen while I do other things a lot, just to see if it would do it again, to see if it was maybe a power supply problem but it's been fine until just now while playing Nier Automata.

The first couple times it happened the console was plugged into the same surge protector as my pc and playstation, and no other device has this problem. I moved the plug to the wall socket directly anyway, as the troubleshooting said to. And that's where it's plugged in when it just crashed now.

I know Series X's can have bad power supplies, but I figured that problem would be a lot more consistent. I've had this thing on a lot since I got it-- but could it be that random? I can probably go through customer service for a replacement just citing a power supply problem, and probably will before the year warranty is up, but, ugh.

So I sent it in for repair on Monday and just got shipping notice that it's coming back, be here Tuesday (but probably able to get it from the shipper on Monday).

Serial number on the order form looks the same, and I don't see anything regarding what they did to repair. On the Device page on my Microsoft account it says "No Issues Found" under the console's status, the same as it states under both my Xbox One's.

I was hoping they would replace a power supply or just snap send me a new one, but I bet they opened it up, saw nothing obviously wrong and are just shipping it back. Be cool if there was some sort of notice as to what they did/attempted rather than this automated crap :sigh:

At the very least I'm hooking it up with my Xbox One X's power and hdmi cables when it gets back, maybe one of those was weird and tripping something in the motherboard or psu. :shrug:

My warranty runs until next March. I guess if the problem presents again I'll call and get a real person on the line and make a stink or something.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Conan Exiles is going up on game pass. Who is excited about the dong slider?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lammasu posted:

i thought that feature was pc only

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lammasu posted:

I’ve been playing it off and on and it’s actually not a bad game.

The combat is pretty decent as well.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

i thought that feature was pc only

PS4 version also had the slider.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

oh im glad they added it. it was not there when console versions launched

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Lammasu posted:

The game also has very easy achievements for folks who care about that kind of thing.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I can't stop playing dragon quest builders

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Zerot posted:

The game also has very easy achievements for folks who care about that kind of thing.

With MS rewards achievements=money. Also when I was going through a major depressive episode Xbox achievements where the only thing that made me feel like I had any agency.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0nvnNIjlUk

On paper this sounds like my thing, but this gameplay looks pretty boring so far.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

John F Bennett posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0nvnNIjlUk

On paper this sounds like my thing, but this gameplay looks pretty boring so far.

Check out, the hunter: call of the wild, it's already on gamepass.

Speaking of just cause 4 just popped up in coming soon

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

univbee posted:

The SSD difference between PS5 and Series is an interesting one. The Series is definitely fast at loading but is 2-2.5x slower than the PS5 and this bears out in PS5- and Series-native games where visible load times are a thing. (e.g. a 5ish second load time on Series is 2 seconds on PS5)

It's pretty safe to say that any next-gen-only multiplatform game that are attempting a "no loading" experience or data streaming will be designed with the Series speeds as the bottleneck.

Returnal is an interesting case here since it can leverage the full speed of the PS5's storage without having to worry about other platforms. The game leverages the PS5's fast loading pretty extensively to make the gameplay as seamless as possible. So when teleporting, there's a set teleport delay where your character is deconstructed and reconstructed, fairly quickly, without anything noticeable in terms of load issues. A theoretical Series version would probably require a more pronounced delay where instead of the around 5 seconds it takes it would potentially take 8-10+ seconds.

The game also does make use of at least one "corridor load" depending on your specific approach a little way into the game, you can sometimes notice a micro-stutter from the loading of the new area as walking down the corridor is attempting so a game still needs a "basic controller" playing method as a fallback, so for example Returnal has two functions mapped on the left trigger which is determined by a half-press versus a full press (and there is resistance in the trigger to make a half press more reliably doable) but one of the default controller layouts also has these two functions on separate buttons (and the controller is customizable).

It'll be interesting to see what performance improvement there is with the direct storage API and games made natively for next-gen rather than cross-gen. There's also all that Velocity Architecture stuff I don't understand but is apparently pretty good poo poo.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Oh btw as a Certified Xbox Wireless Headset haver, those "audio guy" settings that got posted in here last week are total dogshit. Headphones sound better at default settings and I don't know what kind of ears you'd have to have to make those settings even approach tolerable. There was like zero lower register and every clickity clack footstep made my eardrums want to burst. I realize this is a very ymmv kind of thing based on your particular range of hearing but :chloe: don't trust people on the internet who claim to be experts, kids.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Like I said, just because they are employed as a sound tech doesn't make them a good one

Redditors thinking their job makes them an authority on something is some bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I spent a day going through things on gamepass, which has given me the terrible habit of deleting things super quickly

Star Wars fallen order: Wow this game really wants to be uncharted. Quick Resume bugged out and made me lose like 10 minutes of "progress" which was slowly climbing poo poo. I read that eventually it replaces being not-Uncharted for being not-Dark Souls, but I've been playing loads of monster hunter so I don't really need an approximation of good combat. Also remembered I don't really like star wars, I just liked Mandalorian

Sunset Overdrive: Runs poorly on the Series S. I can't believe this came out in 2014, everything in the presentation of this game is so... PS3 era. Zombies and snarky dialogue and everything is sort of ugly. If they FPS boost it I might go back and play a bit more but it felt like Insomniac has made better games than this. You can see where some of the Spiderman traversal comes from though. I am curious because people think this is a "hidden gem", and I absolutely love Spiderman and Ratchet & Clank, but this reminds me that they also made Resistance

Doom Eternal (I have this on PC, wanted to see the console version): Forces me to sign in to my bethesda account, which I don't think I have. Everything on this console signs into your xbox account. Microsoft owns this company now. Why would they allow this. Uninstalled

Dragon Quest Builders 2: Ok maybe I was tired at this point but the tutorial part on the ship took a bit too long. I only played the demo for 1 but I remember it letting you jump in and experiment right away but also guided you?

In more positive news I got back to the Titanfall 2 campaign, which is super good (The new Apex season reminded me) and they need to make another titanfall. Prey continues to be excellent.