Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Saw was bad, Saw 2 was good, I'm very pessimistic about the rest of the series. You do not, under any circumstances, gotta hand it to em

Origami Dali posted:

Marathoning the Saws is surprisingly enjoyable. You end up fast forwarding through the torture scenes by like part 3 to get to the dumb as hell story poo poo.
They could maybe have won me over if they took things to their logical conclusion and built it around teleportation and time travel. Jigsaw gets killed by the very first trap from the first movie. The cake that cures cancer was a lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If anything the series needed to become even more convoluted.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

The crazy plot twists are better than the traps tbh tho the traps are always a lot of fun too. Might be my favorite 2000s horror series.

Not a ton of competition there. What else are you gonna pick, Hatchet?

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Saw is alright when it's not trying hard to make you vomit. Pretty glad I never worked shifts in a cinema when these movies were out (temp contracts meant they could get rid of me after the summer blockbuster rush)!

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Basebf555 posted:

It's an entertaining series because they always bend over backwards to connect stuff back to what came before, they never do that standard horror series thing where they just drop stuff from the last movie and never mention it again. But they do this to a fault, so there's definitely times where they should just make a clean break from what came before but they refuse to ever do it.

The exception is Jigsaw, which doesn't really acknowledge the end of the previous movie but partially takes place after it. That was my biggest gripe with it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Great, now I want to watch the SAW movies.

I maintain the first three films are probably my fav film trilogy, and certainly would be if the series had just stopped there

Past that, mileage will vary. I legit loved 3D/The Final Chapter and again, if the series had just stopped there. it's a perfect finale imo

I have hopes for Spiral because of how good the trailers have looked, but I was always going to watch it. I love the series shamelessly, even if I can really only recommend half of them at this point. Also just saw a tenth one is already in development :woop:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

I'm kinda worried that Chris Rock, who seems to have been the driving force behind this revival/reboot/whatever may not understand that. Anyone who looks at the Saw series and says "what we need to do here is flush everything and start completely over from square one" doesn't understand why it was good.

On a related note, the first Saw is getting a UHD release next week.

https://moviecrypt.libsyn.com/ep-413-darren-lynn-bousman-returns-again

According to the guy who directed the most Saw movies, he absolutely understood it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Have any of yall watched The Cellar?

Enjoying it so far. Rural TX monster movie focused on a kid trying to stop a monster from eating his baby sister.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

The world of Saw is one where a significant industrial collapse occurred prior to the films so there's an over abundance of empty warehouses.

I really enjoy the series. Saw 1 was a fun film with a unique gimmick for the killer and a cool mystery, and 2 very smartly built the film around Tobin Bell whose performance is always incredible to the extent they always need to bring him back no matter how convoluted. There are some pretty pisspoor entries (7, Jigsaw) but also some surprisingly excellent ones (6) as well.

The character of Jigsaw is really interesting. I think a lot of people think it's a problem that his philosophy is contradictory, full of holes, and that he's largely full of poo poo, but I think that's compelling. He's such a hypocritical narcisstic, cult leader, sadist bellend that's high on his own poo poo. It's a really interesting look at a certain character type. There's a scene in one where he admonishes Hoffman for roughly dipping an unconscious future victim from a wheel barrow, saying "that's a human being you know", and it's so fascinatingly hypocritical for a dude who clearly gets off on seeing people dying while terrified. That's why his traps are so unfair and don't account for people being tired or disorientated, he wants to see them suffer because he's a psycho, he just can't admit it and has to lie to himself and say it's his "work" and he's actually trying to help them.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

flashy_mcflash posted:

Final Destination!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hatchet 3 is kinda good. That's the only one I think worked.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The bit about the Saw series I love is that most of them are taking place at the same time.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

paranormal activity maybe? dunno though

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I wish The Zero Boys was better. Mixing action with slasher is a great idea but it's a mediocre example of both genres which is just sad.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Megasabin posted:

I know we sometimes talk about horror novels in this thread so I have to tell everyone to run, not walk, and go get a copy of Between Two Fires. It's from a few years ago, but a poster here recently discovered it, and brought it to the attention of the fantasy book thread, where it's been getting unanimously high praise.

I just finished it and it's up there with the best horror-fantasy I've ever consumed. There's imagery in it that won't leave my mind for a long while. I would give a kidney to see a movie or TV adaptation.

just wanted to say I finished this the other night and it was really good, thanks for the recommendation!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Speaking of Saw movies, has anyone seen the comedy movie based off of this real life murder (The Erie Collar Bomber)? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Brian_Wells

I can't remember the name but it was clearly a comedic treatment of this actual case which seemed weird (although I think in the movie the guy was able to get out of it IIRC which, uh.... wasn't what happened in the actual case). The tone just seemed odd.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'd rather sit through the Final Destination series than the Saw series, if we're just discussing 2000s horror movie series.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Zwabu posted:

Speaking of Saw movies, has anyone seen the comedy movie based off of this real life murder (The Erie Collar Bomber)? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Brian_Wells

I can't remember the name but it was clearly a comedic treatment of this actual case which seemed weird (although I think in the movie the guy was able to get out of it IIRC which, uh.... wasn't what happened in the actual case). The tone just seemed odd.

Pretty sure you're thinking of 30 Minutes or Less: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1622547/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 . Actually a somewhat decent heist-comedy thing and a stellar cast, although the fact that it is weirdly based off a real true crime story does make it pretty gross.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Not as gross as it seems since he was in on the heist

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Zwabu posted:

It had its moments. Mostly from McBride and Michael Pena.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

There's a fan edit of all the Saw films recut into chronological order and I watched the whole thing. It was like having really bad flu for 11 hours and I'm still not sure it was real (especially since I immediately deleted the files)

e: I actually have a soft spot for the series but chaining together an hour of flashbacks with weird camera filter and wobbly flashback music will drive you insane

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

gey muckle mowser posted:

just wanted to say I finished this the other night and it was really good, thanks for the recommendation!

Really glad you enjoyed it!

Some time and several books later, imagery/scenes from that book still really stick with me. The scene with the living stone Mary statue in Paris & the imagery of these giant angels climbing out of the girl's ruined body near the end.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Tarnop posted:

There's a fan edit of all the Saw films recut into chronological order and I watched the whole thing. It was like having really bad flu for 11 hours and I'm still not sure it was real (especially since I immediately deleted the files)

e: I actually have a soft spot for the series but chaining together an hour of flashbacks with weird camera filter and wobbly flashback music will drive you insane

If you can find this again please send it to me

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Megasabin posted:

Really glad you enjoyed it!

Some time and several books later, imagery/scenes from that book still really stick with me. The scene with the living stone Mary statue in Paris & the imagery of these giant angels climbing out of the girl's ruined body near the end.

Oh I also read this a few weeks ago but I couldn’t remember where I heard about it, thanks for the rec as well. I don’t read fantasy novels much anymore but I burned through that one fast. I can’t get enough of all that war in heaven junk and the miserable 14th century is a good setting for horror.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Final Destination!

Ah you're right! For some reason I always think of that first movie especially as being extremely late 90's but it sneaks in under the wire.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Kvlt! posted:

If you can find this again please send it to me

PM'd you

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

I'd rather sit through the Final Destination series

I would actually like to do this

get some tony todd menace goin

all I have on my streaming poo poo right now is final destination 5 though

e: Dark Skies is back on Netflix and part of me wants to watch it again and part is like "you, a grown rear end man in your late 30s, slept with the lights on after you saw that the first time"

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

Phy posted:

e: Dark Skies is back on Netflix and part of me wants to watch it again and part is like "you, a grown rear end man in your late 30s, slept with the lights on after you saw that the first time"

There are pretty few horror movies that actually keep me thinking well after the movie's over, and for some reason Dark Skies is one of them. Maybe it's the alien thing, when I was a kid I was constantly having nightmares about abductions, probably the result of reading every possible alien abduction book I could find at the library. They really truly terrified me and watching Dark Skies was like reliving all those nightmares again. The scene with the dad rhythmically slamming the shotgun on the floor? Amazing.

If there are any other movies out there that hit the same, I'd love recommendations. Not quite full blown sci-fi but more grounded alien-based psychological poo poo. I've seen all the obvious ones already: The Fourth Kind, Fire in the Sky, the McPherson Tape (and Incident in Lake County), V/H/S, Signs (lol), Santa Claus Conquers the Martians... etc.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Ohhh I just had a great idea for the Challenge thread. I'm gonna do a double feature of Dark Skies and The McPherson Tape(which I haven't seen yet and was recently added to Shudder).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Themed double features are tight.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

Ohhh I just had a great idea for the Challenge thread. I'm gonna do a double feature of Dark Skies and The McPherson Tape(which I haven't seen yet and was recently added to Shudder).

I was literally just thinking this hell yeah

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

R.L. Stine posted:

There are pretty few horror movies that actually keep me thinking well after the movie's over, and for some reason Dark Skies is one of them. Maybe it's the alien thing, when I was a kid I was constantly having nightmares about abductions, probably the result of reading every possible alien abduction book I could find at the library. They really truly terrified me and watching Dark Skies was like reliving all those nightmares again. The scene with the dad rhythmically slamming the shotgun on the floor? Amazing.

If there are any other movies out there that hit the same, I'd love recommendations. Not quite full blown sci-fi but more grounded alien-based psychological poo poo. I've seen all the obvious ones already: The Fourth Kind, Fire in the Sky, the McPherson Tape (and Incident in Lake County), V/H/S, Signs (lol), Santa Claus Conquers the Martians... etc.

Yeah, I'm that way about greys too - I distinctly remember reading about alien abductions as a kid, and seeing the pictures that people had drawn of greys while under hypnotic recall, and I just felt the pit of my stomach drop out. So Dark Skies in particular was like custom-made to give me the jibblies

My favorite part is when the family is talking to JK Simmons, playing a former (and current) abductee, and he tells them to get a dog if they want to know if there's aliens in the house, because cats won't narc them out. JK Simmons gets abducted often enough that he only has cats, because that way he can at least get some sleep without the doggos going nuts. Which was a great detail for someone with two cats himself...

As for other alien-centric movies, you've hit many of the big ones that I'm aware of. Close Encounters counts! I used to have to cover my eyes at the end when all the greys come pouring out the ship. I have yet to see the McPherson Tape but it's on my list. I will always go to bat for Signs (lol) despite the water thing and starring Mel Gibson.

Check out The Vast of Night, it's not particularly scary but it is a good UFO flick, with some neat oners. There's a couple movies where alien abduction is the twist, so I'm putting those titles in spoilers: The Block Island Sound, which I've seen and enjoyed, and The Forgotten, which I haven't seen. And a handful of found footage flicks about Area 51, of which I thought Phoenix Forgotten and Oren Peli's Area 51 were the most striking.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ok here’s a challenge. Is there a great alien movie that shows the alien greys? I feel like a lot of them keep skipping out on them.

They’re so scary and cool.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ve seen most. Just curious if there’s anything I’ve missed.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

Ok here’s a challenge. Is there a great alien movie that shows the alien greys? I feel like a lot of them keep skipping out on them.

They’re so scary and cool.

Jupiter Ascending

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

:spooky: Week 19 Bracketology Streams! :spooky:
:rip: Only on the CineD Discord :rip:

All times are in EST and may not reflect reality.

Saturday, May 8th

1900 On The Silver Globe*
vs.
2145 Dario Argento's The Phantom of the Opera

*This is over two-and-a-half hours long, so plan accordingly. I'll take a vote on either an intermission or an extra-long middle break during the stream. Either way, this is cumulatively going to be an over four-and-a-half hour long stream.

Monday, May 10th

1900 Mark of the Vampire
vs.
2010 Tigers Are Not Afraid

Content Warnings

On The Silver Globe (1988)
Unrated - Severe violence, gore, and frightening and intense scenes. I couldn't find a lot of ratings info on this one, but it's from the same director as Possession, so, it could be intense.

The Phantom of the Opera (1998)
Rated R for violence/gore, sexuality, and depictions of Julian Sands.

Mark of the Vampire (1935)
"Passed" in ye olde ratings. The vampire and bats may frighten some viewers.

Tigers Are Not Afraid (2017)
Unrated - Moderate violence, gore, and frightening and intense scenes, including violence against children.

Work is starting again, so my days of doing this to a reliable schedule are at an end. So one last hurrah before the sun sets.

:cry: Mini Sunday Chill Stream :cry:
Kiss Goodbye Edition

All times are in EST, and may not reflect reality.

1000 Vampire's Kiss
1155 Punch Drunk Love
1340 Kissed
1505 Freeway II: Confessions of a Trick Baby

Content Warnings

Vampire's Kiss (1989)
Rated R for language, and moderate violence and gore. E: rape/sexual violence

Punch Drunk Love (2002)
Rated R for strong language including a scene of sexual dialogue

Kissed (1996)
Rated R for aberrant sexuality and some language, including necrophilia and suicide

Freeway II: Confessions of a Trick Baby (1999)
Rated R for strong perverse violence and sexuality, graphic language and substance abuse, and some transphobia

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 9, 2021

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

The Resort has about five minutes of exposition where it looks like it might be cool, but no, it is extremely dumb. It has palm trees, a lot of broken glass, a guy who kind of looks like Chris Hemsworth, and a climax that would have been more satisfying if it had just been an intertitle that said "gently caress it, it doesn't matter."

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Imagine if someone treated themselves to a sweet new avatar and posted for that reason alone with no worthwhile content

horror movies are cool

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Tarnop posted:

Imagine if someone treated themselves to a sweet new avatar and posted for that reason alone with no worthwhile content

horror movies are cool

That's a fantastic AV, and a thrilling tribute to onanism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Tarnop posted:

horror movies are cool

Great AV from a great movie