Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's funny, Forgotten looks like he should be a super fun character but I just never enjoy my runs with him. He has a bone club so in my mind he should be a berserker but taking one hit too much is so punishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
og lost was tough as poo poo given he didnt start with the mantle, but also the game has gotten significantly harder since

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Forgotten is easily my favorite character and tainted forgotten just makes it even better. Idk different strokes i guess

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The cool thing about Forgotten is you can fight in Soul Mode whenever you're about to lose a bone heart, and switch back to the skeleton whenever you find more red health. There's so many cool things you can do with the switch mechanic too, you can completely juke some attacks by switching to soul, moving away then switching back.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 6, 2021

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Black August posted:

Rule seems to be it counts as a Mom’s Box version of itself, so if a trinket isn’t enhanced by the box it doesn’t do anything even when it has effects that could easily be doubled/enhanced

So a cool but also stupid idea that could stand to get a mod to expand it. If you have Mom’s Box, the effect is tripled instead. The ideal seems to be Gold Cancer, or Gold Cracked Crown with the Box. Best with a way to absorb them.

moms box and golden trinkets do stack but i still dont know what moms box poker chip does!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Super No Vacancy posted:

moms box and golden trinkets do stack but i still dont know what moms box poker chip does!

Looks like it is a trinket affected by box/gold, but no idea what it does to improve it. I'm sure research will be done eventually.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The cool thing about Forgotten is you can fight in Soul Mode whenever you're about to lose a bone heart, and switch back to the skeleton whenever you find more red health. There's so many cool things you can do with the switch mechanic too, you can completely juke some attacks by switching to soul, moving away then switching back.

Yeah the second knife piece chase sequence is already pretty easy but with the forgotten it's about as trivial as it can get without being a character that just straight up flies through it

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I got Neptune for the third time today! Also the third time I've gotten it on a build where it does literally nothing! (Azazel this time). I just want to use Neptune, it looks fun!

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Forgotten is easily my favorite character and tainted forgotten just makes it even better. Idk different strokes i guess

Tainted Forgotten is a lot of fun except for like 4 of the completion marks which are just a nightmare.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
I got mars for the first time, fun but I had trouble activating it.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
If they let you force a first angel deal, why the gently caress can't you force a second one? So loving arbitrary. Have a tainted Eden run going trying to kill Mega and got first key piece. Then failed on an 81/19 ratio to get deal with the angel and failed again on a 42/25. Come the gently caress ON. Now I'm depending on dad's key to turn up in chest with like a million to one chance or whatever. Had Revelation locked in with birthright....

Nevermind died on the chest anyway. Dislike this character strongly. Would like it a lot more if the stats on the rerolls were ever good. They're always poo poo.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 7, 2021

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

ArfJason posted:

og lost was tough as poo poo given he didnt start with the mantle, but also the game has gotten significantly harder since

They've also nerfed the gently caress out of the lost, for some reason, despite the fact that no one plays him for fun except me

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kawalimus posted:

If they let you force a first angel deal, why the gently caress can't you force a second one? So loving arbitrary. Have a tainted Eden run going trying to kill Mega and got first key piece. Then failed on an 81/19 ratio to get deal with the angel and failed again on a 42/25. Come the gently caress ON. Now I'm depending on dad's key to turn up in chest with like a million to one chance or whatever. Had Revelation locked in with birthright....

Nevermind died on the chest anyway. Dislike this character strongly. Would like it a lot more if the stats on the rerolls were ever good. They're always poo poo.

The way rerolling effects your health now just kills this character for me. It's like each time you get hit you have a chance of taking 1-10 damage (protip: never pick up curse room items because they'll reroll into dead cat and tank your hp like every 4 hits). it's a shame because I always loved D4 runs in Afterbirth.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

The way rerolling effects your health now just kills this character for me. It's like each time you get hit you have a chance of taking 1-10 damage (protip: never pick up curse room items because they'll reroll into dead cat and tank your hp like every 4 hits). it's a shame because I always loved D4 runs in Afterbirth.

I prioritize spirit hearts on Eden for that very reason.

Had another run where I got to Mega satan with the help of multiple floor re-dos to compile items and still lost because it only ever fucks my HP, it never helps it! Like the dead cat thing you mentioned. I routinely will reroll into items like Red Stew and it doesn't give me the effect of it at all. It should!!! If I roll into the card pack it should drop 5 cards. If it's going to do the dead cat thing do those things too. Agh. I'll get it eventually just they need to fix this dude he's the second worst tainted behind jacob.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kawalimus posted:

I prioritize spirit hearts on Eden for that very reason.

Had another run where I got to Mega satan with the help of multiple floor re-dos to compile items and still lost because it only ever fucks my HP, it never helps it! Like the dead cat thing you mentioned. I routinely will reroll into items like Red Stew and it doesn't give me the effect of it at all. It should!!! If I roll into the card pack it should drop 5 cards. If it's going to do the dead cat thing do those things too. Agh. I'll get it eventually just they need to fix this dude he's the second worst tainted behind jacob.

Yeah, spirit hearts are the way to go, but not even spirit hearts are safe if you roll into then out of a bunch of empty red hearts! It's just such a drag to play if you don't luck into some omega build that can just clear everything without taking any hits. It stinks because aside from the HP issue I find them a really fun character to play but the HP ruins it for me.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

can someone explain to me like you would to an idiot baby toddler how rock bottom works exactly

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, spirit hearts are the way to go, but not even spirit hearts are safe if you roll into then out of a bunch of empty red hearts! It's just such a drag to play if you don't luck into some omega build that can just clear everything without taking any hits. It stinks because aside from the HP issue I find them a really fun character to play but the HP ruins it for me.

That's what finally happened to me and I was able to beat Mega...but still lost to Delirium with an I'm Drowsy pill running even. Had a monster build that cleared several floors with no hits but got telefragged right away on D and then it got me with Shard of Glass and kept draining my HP....my god do I dislike this character.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Too Many Birds posted:

can someone explain to me like you would to an idiot baby toddler how rock bottom works exactly

After you take it (no retroactive applications), you are immune to stat-downs. All stat-downs, even temp ones. If you manage to temporarily skyrocket a stat, it stays there.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Too Many Birds posted:

After taking Rock Bottom, it will freeze your stats to the highest point they've ever reached in a run, but the effect is not retroactive. Your true stats are still calculated behind the scenes, so you'll only see changes if your stats reach a new highest point. Like taking Soy Milk will let you benefit from the tears up without reducing damage, but increasing your damage afterwards will become a herculean task afterwards.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

okay thank you

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It's an easy Top Five, if not Top Three item. It's absolutely insane. This is why it's in the Secret Room Pool, so you'll see it once every one billion runs.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I loving hate it when i see a cool item in the secret room but it's one of those layouts where you basically have to have flight in order to get it

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

It's also a complete game winner on Tainted Isaac, as he can bypass a lot of the whole "only works if your stat calculations reach a new high point" by being able to drop items. Like you can never fully benefit from all the upsides of the Polyphemus + Soy Milk combo on most characters, as you'll either have to go with tears way up but no damage increase, or damage way up but not that much of a tear increase. (Poly then Soymilk is the better combo for DPS for Rock Bottom.) Tainted Isaac on the other hand can pick up the items in one order, then drop them to pick them up in the other order to pull off the Polyphemus + Soy Milk combo with absolutely none of the downsides. Not only that, but he can freely ditch one of the items as long as he doesn't get rid of Rock Bottom to still benefit from its stat increases.

Speaking of Polyphemus, something that kind of bugs me is that the damage normalization nerf with multishot items like Inner Eye and Mutant Spider is still there to this day. (Polyphemus's "[Damage + 4] * 2" multiplier goes down to +5 damage period with a multishot. It's been there since those 2 got introduced in Wrath of the Lamb back when the game did a lot more to restrict your power levels than the Rebirth era of Isaac ever did.) Seems like a really outdated internal nerf when several other damage multipliers work fine with multishots nowadays. And with the item pools being as big as they are now, the chances of running into that combo is pretty low, while running into say, Poly/Spider + Sacred Heart/Godhead is way higher now due to the special item system being gone. I kind of hope that gets taken out eventually. (Rock Bottom being Rock Bottom on the other hand, bypasses this as long as you've picked up Polyphemus first. Or you're Tainted Isaac.)

Thankfully that nerf doesn't apply to the Keepers, but unlike Inner Eye/Mutant Spider + Polyphemus where the tear penalties don't stack with each other, Poly's tears down does stack with their lovely rate of fire, so uh, probably not a great idea to pick that up as them unless you already have a great rate of fire.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 7, 2021

Modoh
Jul 23, 2007
What's the deal with "The Marathon" achievement/unlock (5 daily win streak)? I've definitely won the last 5 dailies I played, with non-0 scores showing up in black, but no unlock. It doesn't have to be consecutive days does it?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The Ultra Hard challenge is what I feel this game would be like if it was entirely proc gen garbage. A third of the items don't work, rooms are packed with bullshit, enemy layouts are downright nonsense at times and you spend forever just wandering around on every floor. It's the only thing in the game that's reduced me to holding R for a decent start, large rooms on the first floor are miserable otherwise. It's just miserable room after miserable room even if you luck into some kind of healing. After hours of attempts I've made it to sheol 3 times and the dark room 0 times.

I'm sure it was way worse in AB+ with all the portals, but the champion versions of some of the new enemies (especially needle) are extremely obnoxious. A common room I run into around womb is a 2x2 with tons of poo poo in the way and filled with champion enemies that dive in and out of the ground, paired with a champion needle that's healing everyone in the room constantly. Absolutely miserable, easily the worst experience I've had with this game but I'm still kinda into it because I like getting mad at games. It's also the last challenge I need to cross them all off the list

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Modoh posted:

What's the deal with "The Marathon" achievement/unlock (5 daily win streak)? I've definitely won the last 5 dailies I played, with non-0 scores showing up in black, but no unlock. It doesn't have to be consecutive days does it?

I'm also confused by this one. As far as I know they're supposed to be consecutive days, but according to the wiki you just need to post scores in the positive rather than actually winning.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Of course the very first run after I bitch about it I got brimstone and book of revelations in the basement. mom's knife in the dark room was the icing on the cake. GG.

Also twisted pair from a soul of lilith, of the souls I've unlocked I definitely like lilith's the most. though azazel's is pretty stiff competition lol

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kawalimus posted:

That's what finally happened to me and I was able to beat Mega...but still lost to Delirium with an I'm Drowsy pill running even. Had a monster build that cleared several floors with no hits but got telefragged right away on D and then it got me with Shard of Glass and kept draining my HP....my god do I dislike this character.

Oh god, new Shard of Glass basically exists entirely to gently caress over Tainted Eden. I'm not sure I've even seen it on another character but it feels like Tainted Eden gets it at some point every time.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

Oh god, new Shard of Glass basically exists entirely to gently caress over Tainted Eden. I'm not sure I've even seen it on another character but it feels like Tainted Eden gets it at some point every time.

Yep and it hit me at the absolute worst time and ruined a sure win :mad:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Yeah I don't like the interaction of the debuff carrying over between TEden forms.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Didn’t get a single goddamn bomb for like 6 floors and couldn’t do mega satan, what are the odds

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I improbably snatched victory from the jaws of defeat on my Keeper Mother run. I was extremely powerful by Masoleum 2, with flight, huge dps, star of bethlehem (which doesn't work on Mother!), piggy bank + swallowed penny + counterfeit penny and etc. It was a blind floor but I decided to play a hell game because devil room items are good right? Naturally I got dead cat. I don't think I'm good enough to no-hit Mother on a non-completely busted run so I thought I was doomed. Then on Corpse 1 I found a Soul of Cain, which opened up a red room shop, where I bought a booster pack with an inverted stars card, which I used in the boss room to get 2 hp back. The booster pack also had an Era Walk so I was actually able to no-hit Mother anyway :v:

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
I'm in a run and got to floor 2 and it's 100% angel room chance. Uhh how is this possible? Bethany, and I have 0 items that affect the angel/devil deal %. Jokered into it and it actually was an angel room. wtf

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

I'm in a run and got to floor 2 and it's 100% angel room chance. Uhh how is this possible? Bethany, and I have 0 items that affect the angel/devil deal %. Jokered into it and it actually was an angel room. wtf

bethany's starting item guarantees an angel room

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Bethany's starter item (book of virtues) guarantees angel rooms over devil rooms for the first deal you see. It's basically a reward for how hard it is to get devil/angel rooms as a character that doesn't have soul hearts. This means that BoV is really, really good to find as other characters.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

I improbably snatched victory from the jaws of defeat on my Keeper Mother run. I was extremely powerful by Masoleum 2, with flight, huge dps, star of bethlehem (which doesn't work on Mother!), piggy bank + swallowed penny + counterfeit penny and etc. It was a blind floor but I decided to play a hell game because devil room items are good right? Naturally I got dead cat. I don't think I'm good enough to no-hit Mother on a non-completely busted run so I thought I was doomed. Then on Corpse 1 I found a Soul of Cain, which opened up a red room shop, where I bought a booster pack with an inverted stars card, which I used in the boss room to get 2 hp back. The booster pack also had an Era Walk so I was actually able to no-hit Mother anyway :v:

I hate that Star doesn't work on the big bosses. Why not!! It works on every other boss. Still a good item but I hate that it changes the rules on you like that.

Managed a True Ending victory with Tainted Lost!! Ghost Pepper and Perfection Trinket is a hell of a combo. Also got Boss Rush done during attempts.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Never again do I have to touch these disjointed hitboxes. :shepface:

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
I thought people might be interested to hear that today's daily includes Death Certificate. I found it by picking up Card Reading in a shop, and then using it to reach the secret room in Dank Depths 1.

There's also an I Can See Forever pill on Dank Depths 1, so you could find the secret room that way also.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 8, 2021

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I just tried out Tainted Jacob. All I can say is, wow Edmund really likes The Lost, huh? At least Tainted Esau is more honest about wanting you dead.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So I finally got back to this, and my only good run in recent times was Cain with Thunder Thighs and False PHD. Got to Mom and died because I am bad at managing 1 Heart.

That said, I got Azazel unlocked at least? His beam's weird to me, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

crosspost from a different isaac thread

Evil Eagle posted:

eden start with a d6 was extremely cathartic after so much ultra hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5M3BrpT8fw

Soul of Lilith can even give you psy fly. man it's good