Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Silly Burrito posted:

Wait, what???

Bearer has gotten him to throw up as a result of seeing/touching them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Davros1 posted:

Wasn't the story that JBL kept harassing Blackman to the point that has when he bothering him while they were at an airport, Blackman did cold-cocked JBL with a kick to the head, then calmly picked his luggage up from baggage claim and left?

From Bob Holly's book:

quote:

At Kansas City airport, Steve and I were waiting around when Bradshaw came over. It was an early morning flight and John was still drunk from the night before. He started patting Steve’s rear end. Steve said, “John, I don’t play that poo poo, knock it off.” John patted him again. And again. Steve was getting brutally pissed. He told him, “John, next time you do that, I’m going to knock your loving teeth out.” So, of course, John did it again. Steve whipped around and backhanded Bradshaw, popping him with jabs in the face.

John started swinging and missing, and his head was snapping back with each of Steve’s jabs. Steve stepped back, planning to kick Bradshaw’s knees out, but he got his leg caught in a bag handle. Al Snow and I grabbed Steve, Ron Simmons grabbed John, and we pulled them apart. John was walking back and forth like a bandy rooster, looking to fight. Before we left, Steve told him, “I’m going to loving kill you.” He meant it too.

We got our car and got on the road. Ken Shamrock was riding with us. Me, Blackman, and Shamrock. That’s a dangerous car, and I’m the warm one — a teddy bear compared to the other two. That whole journey, Shamrock was poking and prodding Steve, telling him that Bradshaw was going to beat his rear end. Steve wasn’t saying a word. And who did we see when we checked in to the hotel? Bradshaw and Ron were right there.

The boys don’t always stay at the same hotels, so it was a complete coincidence and not a good one for John. He came over to apologize and Steve said, “No apologies, I’m going to finish you later,” then walked off. We found him in the gym, still boiling mad. Once we were in the arena and had sat down in catering, John walked in. Everybody went silent as Steve stood up. He said, “If you’ve got something to say to me, you say it now or I’m going to finish you in front of everybody.” Bradshaw walked over, apologized and said, “I shouldn’t have hosed with you,” and shook his hand. That was the end of it. Steve sat down and said, “Bob, if it wasn’t for that bag, John would be in intensive care right now.” Trust me, I believe it — if anybody can put Bradshaw in the hospital with one kick, it’s Steve Blackman.

(Sure, Bob. Put yourself over too.)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Red posted:

Bearer has gotten him to throw up as a result of seeing/touching them.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I don't know why but Paul said in a shoot video he did that he sliced some cukes and put them in the purple gloves Take used to wear. When he discovered them, he ran to the washroom and puked.

Well I'll be damned, I never heard that before. Everybody's got their thing, I guess.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Ganso Bomb posted:

To spin this away from him, is there anyone else who they could reasonably tap into with his scope of knowledge who would actually do the show?

mike tenay

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Man, that'd kick rear end

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

fumi saito as well, he knows as much about american wrestling as dave

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ganso Bomb posted:

Man, that'd kick rear end

Yeah, he'd be a good talking head.

They could also bring back John Arrezi, or bring in Greg Oliver or Pat Laprade for specific episodes.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

if you're talking historians, anything concerning mexico needs steve simms and kurt brown

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Dawgstar posted:

From Bob Holly's book:

I mean, I sure as hell wouldn't gently caress with Bob Holly, but he did say he was the least frightening guy in that group.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TL posted:

I mean, I sure as hell wouldn't gently caress with Bob Holly, but he did say he was the least frightening guy in that group.

I'm pretty confident Bob would gently caress JBL up

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

JBL moved to Bermuda so he could stop paying taxes(good) and teach underage boys the art of locker room hazing in-between rugby games(super bad)

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

From Bob Holly's book:

Was Shamrock an rear end in a top hat? Goading Blackman just seems like a lovely thing to do. On top of that, I know he got into a fight with the Nasty Boys (which he lost), but I always assumed the Nasties were the instigators.

Lemme see...

Link: https://prowrestlingstories.com/pro-wrestling-stories/ken-shamrock-the-nasty-boys-incident/

quote:

By this point, the other bouncers had kicked Sags and Knobbs out of the bar.

“I was fuming,” Shamrock admits. “Big-time fuming. I knew they were staying at the hotel downtown; I knew that’s where they were at. So as soon as [the bouncers] let me go, I told everyone, ‘Alright guys, I’ll see you later.’ This was about half an hour after Knobbs and Sags were thrown out of the bar.

“I went to the hotel and knocked on their door because I was going to get in their face and say, ‘Listen, that’s uncalled for! Do you want to end up in prison? That’s exactly what’s going to happen!’

“Nobody answered,” Shamrock continued, “but I knew they were in there, so I ended up kicking the door down. And as I kicked the door down, the shorter and heavier one, the blonde one [Sags] was laying on the bed face down, so I just kind of paused–and that’s the last thing I remember.

“From what I was told, when I came through the door, the big one [Sags] was hiding because they were afraid because I was pissed. The other one was lying there on the bed, saying, ‘He ain’t coming, he can’t come in!’ Well, when I came through the door, the big one [Sags] grabbed this phone, and the bottom had a steel metal plate underneath it, and as soon as I came through, he hit me in the back of the head. I went down, and then he put the boot to me. They both had steel-toe boots on. They broke my sternum and my nose and pretty much almost killed me.

“They dragged me outside to throw me over the railing from the second floor onto the ground below. At this point, one of the guys, I don’t remember who, but he was an older gentleman [Col. Robert Parker], he came in, and he said, ‘Hey guys, you need to stop!’ He stopped them from doing what they were about to do. Had he not done that, I wouldn’t be here today.”

According to Sags and Knobbs, when Ken Shamrock came looking after them, he found their room, jumped on top of Knobbs, and punched him across the head. All the while, according to Knobbs, he was out cold sleeping at the time.

“That’s when I got involved,” claimed Sags. “It was a bad fight, and [Shamrock] ended up in the hospital. That’s what happened.”

“[The paramedics] had to revive me,” Shamrock admitted. “I had passed out. I was dying. They did that much damage.

Jesus, I never knew the details of all that.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Mob posted:

JBL moved to Bermuda so he could stop paying taxes(good) and teach underage boys the art of locker room hazing in-between rugby games(super bad)

Actually both are bad I hope mike rotunda kicks his rear end too.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Were there any other ideas for Paul Wight’s name in WWF besides “Big Show”? I always thought it sounded loving stupid and I’d love to know what was rejected in favor of that.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The Big Nasty

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I would’ve loved if they called him Big Nasty Bastard.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Were there any other ideas for Paul Wight’s name in WWF besides “Big Show”? I always thought it sounded loving stupid and I’d love to know what was rejected in favor of that.

He was going to be called Titan, for a while before his debut

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He was going to be called Titan, for a while before his debut

Ok this might be Hulk Hogan Meatshoes memory but i remember late 90s internet knew Chris Jericho was signed with WWF but the word was he was going to be renamed Excalibur (several years before our Excalibur) and they put out poo poo suggesting it to hide he was behind the Millenium Clock. Is this meatshoes memory?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
You're not making it up, there are references to it on RSPW back in 1999, including a quote from the Ross Report:

"Excalibur? Are you kidding me? How the hell did that get started?"

There's also a thread about how there is a character select screen for Wrestlemania 2000 on a preview article by Jeff Gerstmann that shows a character named "Excalibur" that seems to have spurred/heightened these rumors, ignoring that the same surviving preview images on archive.org show created wrestlers like "The Rombler" and a rough approximation of rap legend E-40.

The more prevalent rumor in the summer of 1999 was that Jericho was going to come in to revitalize a post-HHH Degeneration X, so the whole Ex/X-Calibur thing seemed to be a run-off rumor from that. I don't know that any of this was WWF's doing as much as wild speculation on scoops sites, but I have a hazy memory of there being at least one rumor from that spring/summer that was eventually revealed to actually being WWF planting fake 'scoops'. Unless the planting of fake scoops was itself a fake scoop.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 8, 2021

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lid posted:

Ok this might be Hulk Hogan Meatshoes memory but i remember late 90s internet knew Chris Jericho was signed with WWF but the word was he was going to be renamed Excalibur (several years before our Excalibur) and they put out poo poo suggesting it to hide he was behind the Millenium Clock. Is this meatshoes memory?

I believe Jericho himself making a joke about being called Excalibur in a post WCW interview is the source.

I kinda hope the actual Excalibur and Jericho have had a chuckle about it.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Cavauro posted:

The Big Nasty
Yeah, this was what they were going with for like the first two weeks of his run before switching over to Big Show. My guess is "Big Nasty" might have already been trademarked before then?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Yeah, this was what they were going with for like the first two weeks of his run before switching over to Big Show. My guess is "Big Nasty" might have already been trademarked before then?

Or they realized it sounded like either a sex move or euphemism for a huge dump.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I remember seeing numerous “Paul White” signs after his debut.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
His debut is even defined by Michael Cole crowing "PAUL WIGHT! IT'S PAUL WIGHT!!!".

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
At what age is it considered "too old" to train to become a wrestler?

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 8, 2021

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Nick Jr. Face posted:

the butcher/andy williams (first match at age 39) and bodyguard (first match age 40) are the oldest starting regular wrestlers who have had decent careers that i can think of tho obv they're outliers

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

How does one go about searching for matches on billibilli? do i type in the romanized letters or do I put in the kanji?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Martin Wright (The Boogeyman) went on Tough Enough at age 40. I don't know if you'd call him successful but he's had a couple WrestleMania matches and still works there.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Martin Wright (The Boogeyman) went on Tough Enough at age 40. I don't know if you'd call him successful but he's had a couple WrestleMania matches and still works there.

That’s pretty successful

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

:geno: THIRTY :geno:

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Boogeyman is extremely successful

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Are you asking for yourself? If so, there is no age. I started training when I was 36 and it wound up not really being for me, but it was a ton of fun despite being like twice as old as everyone else there. Nobody cared about age if you were willing to put in the effort.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

How old was DDP when he actually transitioned to an actual in-ring talent? As I recall, he was already considered pretty old around then, wasn't he?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Ganso Bomb posted:

Are you asking for yourself?
Ha, I dunno maybe?

Sometimes I find myself thinking "what if I pursued something I am truly passionate about while I was in my 20s instead of working in a cubicle" and wonder what could have been. FWIW I'm down 30 lbs since last September through circuit training and eating properly so I know I can put in the effort to train. I'm 41 tho :corsair:

Vagabundo posted:

How old was DDP when he actually transitioned to an actual in-ring talent? As I recall, he was already considered pretty old around then, wasn't he?
35 I think

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Vagabundo posted:

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Batista was considered old by the time of his first World title win. He was 34.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1359275678567460873

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Thauros posted:

the butcher/andy williams (first match at age 39) and bodyguard (first match age 40) are the oldest starting regular wrestlers who have had decent careers that i can think of tho obv they're outliers

I think Butch said in an interview that he trained when he was much younger but blew out his knee and ended up focusing on his music career because of that.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

There's also a thread about how there is a character select screen for Wrestlemania 2000 on a preview article by Jeff Gerstmann that shows a character named "Excalibur" that seems to have spurred/heightened these rumors, ignoring that the same surviving preview images on archive.org show created wrestlers like "The Rombler" and a rough approximation of rap legend E-40.

I want to believe that somebody in the GameSpot offices made a custom E-40 for that game, that’s amazing if true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

harperdc posted:

I want to believe that somebody in the GameSpot offices made a custom E-40 for that game, that’s amazing if true.

Way more screenshots here, though not the one listing "Excalibur"