Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Bags go into their storage sacks, those go into a larger plastic bag from ikea with a tin of dessicant, pad is under my bed, everything else goes into a large bin on top of a shelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I bought some cheap mesh laundry bags on Amazon for my sleeping bags and they seem to be doing pretty well. They were only a couple bucks apiece.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Are there any convection biofuel-stoves that can also fit a trangia-style burner inside, for redundancy? All I've been able to find is the Solo Stove Lite or Titan.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Trail designs has the side winder. It's more of an alcohol stove that can burn wood. It can also do esbit tablets.

I picked one up over the winter and I'm hoping it will replace my canister stove.

And if it's no good I will borrow a buddies stove and we can get blind drunk on the ever clear I bought to fuel it.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Any recs for a cheapish white sun hoody? preferably without any labels. Need something light yet protective for desert hikes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've been eyeing the outdoor research echo hoodie but don't have one yet. But everyone seems to love it and I'll probably be getting one for the summer.

Not sure it means your labels or price criteria though.

testifeye
Sep 24, 2004

maroon moon

Head Bee Guy posted:

Any recs for a cheapish white sun hoody? preferably without any labels. Need something light yet protective for desert hikes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08B1N9HHV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_WJ449Q14SNGSMRDSYJF2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I have used the women's version in both desert and alpine environments and it does the job! It might not be as light or have as many features as a brand name one, but it worked well for me.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Personally, I hate the feeling of primarily-polyester/nylon fabrics, particularly if I am sweaty and/or wearing a backpack. I’d highly recommend spending an extra $30 and going for a lightweight merino hoodie. I like Smartwool’s merino 150 series, and they make a lightweight hoodie that is ~85/15 wool/nylon that I’d recommend. They usually have good sales on their website and/or REI/backcountry.

E. Fair points re durability/sun protection

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 7, 2021

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

xzzy posted:

I've been eyeing the outdoor research echo hoodie but don't have one yet. But everyone seems to love it and I'll probably be getting one for the summer.

Not sure it means your labels or price criteria though.

I have one of these, and I like it a lot. I wish it was cheaper, and mine is a light grey instead of white. The dirt doesn't wash from it very well, so if that's a problem keep it in mind. I went on a canoe trip down the Colorado tho, which is both very silty and in the desert when camping.. So might be asking a lot to get cleaned from that.

1redflag posted:

Personally, I hate the feeling of primarily-polyester/nylon fabrics, particularly if I am sweaty and/or wearing a backpack. I’d highly recommend spending an extra $30 and going for a lightweight merino hoodie. I like Smartwool’s merino 150 series, and they make a lightweight hoodie that is ~85/15 wool/nylon that I’d recommend. They usually have good sales on their website and/or REI/backcountry.

My issue with merino is the durability. I get a lot of small holes from snags in my merino stuff. I like it but.. also is it sun blocking? The OR Echo is very light weight with added sun protective. Just a long sleeve isn't enough to shield me from getting a burn.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hey thread, I'm unemployed and now seems like a good time to go for my first-ever backpacking trip. I'm thinking just 1 day/night to keep it simples, but I'm wondering what equipment I should buy?

I've got basically everything for car camping - good tent, okay sleeping bag + pad for underneath, a big battery pack to make sure my phone and whatnot are fully charged, headlamp, and a small backpack (Talos 25 I think, but maybe it's a 22), decent boots and good socks to wear.

Given that I'm unemployed, I don't want to spend much money on remaining things... But I'm not even sure what exactly I should buy? Some sort of water filtratrion thingamajig? Something to cook in?

Also I'll have my 2 dogs with me FWIW

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Sounds like you need a bigger pack. 25l is really small for backpacking and probably won't even hold your tent + sleeping bag.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But it's fine for car camping, so I guess clarify what you're actually doing. :v:

Are you hiking in for an overnight back woods camp, or sleeping in an organized campground with parking spaces?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Sab669 posted:

Hey thread, I'm unemployed and now seems like a good time to go for my first-ever backpacking trip. I'm thinking just 1 day/night to keep it simples, but I'm wondering what equipment I should buy?

I've got basically everything for car camping - good tent, okay sleeping bag + pad for underneath, a big battery pack to make sure my phone and whatnot are fully charged, headlamp, and a small backpack (Talos 25 I think, but maybe it's a 22), decent boots and good socks to wear.

Given that I'm unemployed, I don't want to spend much money on remaining things... But I'm not even sure what exactly I should buy? Some sort of water filtratrion thingamajig? Something to cook in?

Honestly, if it’s your first time I would recommend renting the gear as opposed to buying some stuff. Unless the car camping kit you have is already lightweight backpacking gear, you’re going to have a less-than-fun time lugging it wherever you wanna go. I just checked REI and where I am you can rent a kit with tent, bag + pad, backpack, and stove for about 90 bucks for one night, and only a few bucks more for 2 nights. That’s cheaper than a night at a lodge or something, and less than you would spend for a new backpack, plus you get to see if you a) like it and b) if the gear works for you.

Alternatively, see if you have a buddy that will loan you some stuff and try that.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Backpacking, yea. Only REI near me is like 90 minutes away which I guess would be worthwhile but :shrug:

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Sab669 posted:

Off the top of my head:

Yes, you need some way to have clean potable water. You can get something like a Sawyer Mini fairly cheap, although it'll be slower than something like a gravity filter system. You could boil your water, but that's pretty slow and fuel intensive. I toss some water purification tablets in my bag, but only as a backup option (that I've never had to use)--I wouldn't use them as my main source of getting water. I suppose if you're only out for a single night it'd be possible to haul in all the water you need, but I'd recommend at least having a backup plan.

You didn't mention a stove system, only something to cook in. Does that mean you have a stove and need a pan, or does that mean you intend to only use a fire? Cooking over a fire is certainly viable, but I personally wouldn't want it to be my only option, especially if I was new to backpacking. You can get little MSR PocketRockets for under $50, and probably can find other brands for even cheaper. I bet you could find used ones without too much effort.

Don't forget a trowel, some toilet paper, and to educate yourself on how to poo poo in the woods (if you haven't before). You can get cheap plastic trowels for like $5 at REI--they're basically plastic gardening tools, so you can probably find cheap alternatives elsewhere, too.

I second others who say that a 22-25 liter pack is probably too little space, especially if you're not rocking minimalist ultralight gear.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Where are you planning to go? Lots of places have potable water at established campsites so you wouldn’t need a filter in those cases.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I was thinking I'd just cook over the fire.

East Otto Forest in WNY is where I was looking. There is a lake but I don't think there's anything readily drinkable.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Even safe camp water is gonna taste a bit grainy, filtering is never bad.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

filters? boiling? i simply spit in the lake and let my superior biota render it safe for all to drink

(don't get a sawyer mini, the weight savings over the regular aren't worth the reduced flowrate.)

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I think the Sawyer Squeeze + Smart Water combo works great for personal use. Outside of that your best choice for more water would be a gravity system like the Platypus GravityWorks. I haven’t use GravityWorks, so I am going by stuff I read in the past.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I actually just bought a GravityWorks and used it on a backpacking trip in Escalante. It’s great, but we were filling multiple containers to carry all day. I don’t think it would be worth it for personal use on a short overnight.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I use a gravityworks solo. I’m sure a Sawyer would be more space efficient, but the GW is fine, particularly compared to the MSR pump system people used to have to carry.

One added bonus over the smaller systems is you can keep 4L of water close to your campfire.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

waffle enthusiast posted:

the MSR pump system people used to have to carry.

:(

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

I've had great luck with my Sawyer squeeze. I did buy a few things to turn it into a gravity feed system myself which helped quite a bit with the flow and is easy to do.

If I was just getting started I would just use the kit as is to begin with and if you find yourself wanting more/longer trips then invest in the few parts to make it gravity feed later on.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I grabbed the Cnoc dual bladder system with a filter when someone mentioned it in the thread and while I don’t need to filter water as much as some folks it works great as a gravity set up. I also have a Sawyer Micro Squeeze so I can use both bladders to get water and filter into a Nalgene or Smartwater bottle.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Can anyone recommend a water bottle holder and a phone pocket that can attach to backpack shoulder steps? It's hard to find reviews and I've never seen one in stores.

Here's an examole:

https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/product/shoulder-strap-pouches/

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Sab669 posted:

You may need to buy or rent a bear cannister depending on where you are going. If it's your first backpacking trip, just one or two nights, and you don't want to waste money or worry about buying too much poo poo all at once, you could consider forgoing a stove/pot and just taking ready to eat foods that don't need to be heated (or cold soaking).

Honestly backpacking is just hiking + a suitable tent, sleeping bag, and sleeping pad, and a few extras for exigencies you may not always take on a day hike (making GBS threads in woods, getting potable water, hiking in the dark). If your tent and sleep system are adequate for backpacking, I'd just get a pack that can fit them + your other poo poo, take a look at https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/backpacking-checklist.html to see if you're missing anything critical , and go for it.

Morbus fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 9, 2021

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

evilpicard posted:

Can anyone recommend a water bottle holder and a phone pocket that can attach to backpack shoulder steps? It's hard to find reviews and I've never seen one in stores.

Here's an examole:

I am a big fan (when it comes to phone holders) of https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.c...YhoC7KoQAvD_BwE

But it comes with the Hyperlite MG name tax.

Also if you are using a SmartWater type bottle this rocks

https://zpacks.com/products/aquaclip-kit

Edit: \/\/\/\/\/ I know, just typical HMG. I love their stuff (I also have their Southwest backpack plus their fanny pack), but do they make you pay premium.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 9, 2021

Morbus
May 18, 2004

at those prices u should be using ur phone 2 protect the phone pocket amirite

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

That's great, thanks.

I am Canadian so unfortunately quite used to getting ripped off for backpacking gear.

just paid $35 CAD for the $7 water bottle clip, and I will probably get charged another $20-40 in "processing" from UPS and receive it in 1-2 months.

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 9, 2021

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

evilpicard posted:

That's great, thanks.

I am Canadian so unfortunately quite used to getting ripped off for backpacking gear.

just paid $35 CAD for the $7 water bottle clip, and I will probably get charged another $20-40 in "processing" from UPS and receive it in 1-2 months.

Christ I am going to start smuggling backpacking gear from the US to Canada. Sorry about that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

nate fisher posted:

Christ I am going to start smuggling backpacking gear from the US to Canada. Sorry about that.

As a bonus hike it over the border at Chilliwack. If you get stopped for some reason just say you're extremely paranoid about being prepared.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

We call that Chilliwacking off

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Sab669 posted:

I’m going to take the opposite tact and say that you don’t really *need* anything besides a bottle of water. Most of the gear we buy is for comfort or to enhance our enjoyment (lighter gear means I enjoy my hike more). You could survive a fifty degree night outside with nothing but your clothes, but it is going to be absolutely miserable and you probably won’t get hardly any sleep.

You’ve got a bag pad and tent, that’s excellent. Take those and use them, no need to buy new gear if you’re pinched for cash. They may be heavy or bulky or not warm enough, but only you can answer that by using them. You’ll quickly figure out where the shortcomings are in your setup and want to buy gear to address those and make the next trip better.

Same thing with water filters, you don’t need them, just bring extra water with you. 1 gallon per day, you can easily pack that for an overnight. Once you start getting above a gallon, gallon and a half I’d look into water filters to save your back. Hell, I’ve packed three gallons before for desert trips.

You’ve already got a headlamp, fantastic.

I’d strongly advise against cooking over a fire. Or try it out and see how awful it is. Between the soot, ash, low heat, no real control, you’ll switch to a canister stove real quick. These can be had stupid cheap, but you don’t need it. Just bring some clif bars, fruit, trail mix, and jerky and you’ll have a nice weekend. Mix it up with a pb&j or whatever else you wanna pack, there’s no need for a stove or cooking. It makes things more enjoyable having a morning coffee or hot meal at night, but you don’t need it just getting started. Plenty of open and eat options.

Put your phone in airplane mode, and you’ll get a weekend of battery out of it, fyi.

If you’re bringing dogs, don’t forget about their food water and shelter. Here’s where you may want to spend money, to make sure they have a foam pad to sleep on, collapsible bowls for food and water, that kind of thing.

Also as was mentioned before, a 25L pack isn’t really sufficient. You may be able to find used gear pretty cheap for larger packs. I’d recommend used over buying a lovely pack, you want something durable enough that the strap isn’t going to break away and leave you up the creek. You don’t need a 200$ Dyneema pack, you could probably find something decent on ebay or Facebook marketplace for under 50, like an old gregory or kelty internal or external frame pack. Hell those old external frame packs are pretty drat light to begin with and indestructible if you don’t mind strapping your gear to the pack.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

evilpicard posted:

Here's an examole:

garagegrowngear.com has a bunch of these. Cant speak for any of them myself though.

I'm a Sawyer squeeze fan for solo hiking. On group trips I'll bring that plus the gravity filter.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

evilpicard posted:

Here's an examole:

If you can time the drops - usually Wednesdays and Sundays - the stuff from JustinsUL on Etsy is really solid. I think he sells on Facebook, too.

I have multiple water bottle pouches from him and they’ve held up great. I’m sure the shoulder pouch is of similar quality.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
I'm looking to upgrade my sleeping bag, as my current one is denim with a red paisley lining that, while rad as hell, is older than me and not really cutting it anymore.

I generally car camp, so weight / size isn't a huge factor. I'm usually in a tent with a cot or air mattress in the spring or late summer/ early fall. I also go to a deer camp once a year for opening weekend, and usually end up on a bunk in a cabin there. I also try and get my wife out once a year, usually spring before it gets too hot. In that case we take the big tent and a queen air mattress.

The vast majority of my camping is in south / central Texas, and while it occasionally gets cold, especially during deer season, I haven't intentionally camped in temps below 40F in years.

With all that said, and knowing the temp ratings for sleeping bags aren't super accurate, I'm thinking a more modern 30 or 40F rated bag will probably do the trick. I know they've fallen out of favor compared to mummy style bags, but I'd prefer a rectangular bag I can unzip and use as a comforter when the wife and I go camping together. I figure since I'm always taking my car I can add a liner and an extra blanket if I think it'll be a cold one at the deer camp.

There is a large Cabelas very near me, and have a $100 gc I can use towards this. The house brand is so cheap I don't trust it , and their heartier Mountain Trapper line seems like over kill for my needs. They also carry Ascend and Kelty, but outside of reading reviews on Amazon I'm not really sure where to start.

I'm also willing to not buy from Cabela's if everything they have sucks, but I'd like to try and stay below $150, and closer to a bill if I can. Any recommendations? Should I just buy a good mummy bag and takes an actual quilt when the wife comes with?

Hayden fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 14, 2021

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Hayden posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my sleeping bag, as my current one is denim with a red paisley lining that, while rad as hell, is older than me and not really cutting it anymore..

Probably anything you get from Cabelas would work alright for what you need.

Aa far as other options for roomy sleeping bags outside of Cabelas, you might check out something likeThule bags from Wiggys

If you’re not getting very cold and want something more packable, there’s always stuff likedown camp blankets that might work for you

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Hayden posted:

They also carry Ascend and Kelty,

If there is any chance at all you might want to try backpacking one day, the Kelty Cosmic Down is considered one of the best budget down bags. Mummy cut, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Business of Ferrets posted:

If there is any chance at all you might want to try backpacking one day, the Kelty Cosmic Down is considered one of the best budget down bags. Mummy cut, though.

Seconding this recommendation for you