Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
The CEO shouldn't be complaining. She does have a real responsibility to solve this impasse and even if she is employee first (and I don't think she is) there is this impasse. A business must either treat remote employees equal 'fairly' not reward in person employees for the unaccounted labor since remote employees don't have access, or they end up in a situation where in person employees have a benefit because they have access to potential work contributions that remote employees dont.

You can try and codify the labor difference there, either with amazon-style bathroom break tracking but based on quantifying productive water cooler talk and small in person tasks that get done much easier without having to be codified and scheduled in an email. But that might end up looking a lot like contract work for the remote employees unless the remote employees find ways to overcome social and convenience divides. If the demographics she ascribes are accurate, they won't--at least not through online (local remote employee get togethers at rented remote offices or coffee shops might actually have huge benefits unseen because everyone is in their house still).

I think the way this is going to shake out long term is that a hybrid strategy is going to suffer in work satisfaction and productivity leading to separation of strategies, with in-person focused and remote-focused workplaces. Hybrid models that succeed are going to do so through either having one modeled company contract from the other modeled company or through companies with divisions separated by methodology so the two groups don't compete against one another. That last option will be super risky unless you're large.

If a CEO sees this coming, she should probably consider what her business should do about it. She should probably talk to her employees about ways to split the company and these labor requirements fairly and find a method, from the people who will have to execute that method, on how to solve this potentially company ruining distinction. She should put on the table for them the possibility of breaking apart into either separate companies or at least separate divisions and deciding the company's future model based on performance of those divisions, ideally in a fair and equitable method that provides enough time to really test and off ramps for the method that won't fit the model.

What shouldn't do is have this conversation publicly around the people whose lives you're actually talking about disrupting instead of involving then in these very difficult life changing concerns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Mr. Nice! posted:

My dad thinks that because his step-mom provided some of the family support by waiting on people in a small diner in truth or consequences, new mexico, that being a server is actually a decent paying job.

My experience in red counties is that people tip like poo poo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Fed Grand Jury for Chauvin came back, they are pressing charges not only for the murder but Chauvin is facing charges for a previous incident where he choked and beat a 17 year old.

https://twitter.com/CommieGIR/status/1390696396706271233?s=20

Chauvin's hosed. Even if he appeals, the Fed charges will stick, he's not getting out of this it looks like.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 7, 2021

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
So glad we are getting Chauvin, the Last Bad Apple, gone

I'm happy about this, but I'm very afraid the messaging from the party in power will be pointing at him as cops continue to be violent sociopaths

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Mr. Nice! posted:

Laying a $35k harley on the ground so you can tackle a dude on a bicycle.

At LEAST.

Now he's got some dented exhaust headers, probably some scratched paint, and probably a bent shifter and clutch lever, over jaywalking.

Also, the most leisurely and relaxing police evasion up until that point.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

Montana and South Carolina have ended enhanced federal unemployment because people aren't willing to work for poverty wages. Florida is soon to follow.

I do enjoy that Biden basically gave a 10-minute speech on the jobs report miss, basically saying "hey jack, told you so", then as soon as he was done, he got this loving question (note: it's not a great question):

https://twitter.com/CurtisHouck/status/1390701658599038979

Pretty clear the Press Corps' brains have been poisoned by talking with too many business owners and Republicans. WHO GIVES A gently caress if businesses can't hire people at the wages they're offering. THE BUSINESS WILL ALWAYS SAY THAT TO KEEP WAGES LOW.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

maffew buildings posted:

I'm happy about this, but I'm very afraid the messaging from the party in power will be pointing at him as cops continue to be violent sociopaths

Truth. We'll see what Biden's DOJ does but at least looks like they are taking it somewhat seriously especially going after Chauvin, Louiseville PD, etc.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Do people really think 8 million jobs are gonna be back? A lot of people that got laid off from covid aren't going to be able to do their old jobs

Not only did those jobs disappear forever, the rich are better off without them.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

piL posted:

I think the way this is going to shake out long term is that a hybrid strategy is going to suffer in work satisfaction and productivity leading to separation of strategies, with in-person focused and remote-focused workplaces. Hybrid models that succeed are going to do so through either having one modeled company contract from the other modeled company or through companies with divisions separated by methodology so the two groups don't compete against one another. That last option will be super risky unless you're large.

From what I've seen, hybrid models can work well but the secret is that everybody has to be in the same mode. So 3 days in/2 out, or whatever, works fine. The things that don't work at all are when 60% of the team is in-office and 40% are virtual.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Best Friends posted:

If "sources close to" Malinda are leaking that already it's going to be a hilariously contentious divorce and I am here for it.

In other news, UK labour is getting positively cleaned out in council elections (basically local elections + 1 equiv of a special election). You may be wondering "well, what was their platform?" That's an excellent question and they can't quite answer much besides not being Jeremy Corbyn.

Imagine if after the dem primary, the Dems actually literally kicked Bernie and the squad out of the party and told everyone who volunteered for them that they have no place in the party. That's what labour did and the results are not great for them so far.

yeah but Keir Starmer's wife is Jewish so they solved their imaginary anti-semitism problem, all is well!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Corporate America's middle manager bureaucracy took it on the chin during COVID because it turns out you dont need legions of useless middle managers and VPs if there aren't people in the building to micromanage all day long. Its hard to justify your 6 figure salary if you can't point to your Outlook calendar full of meetings to discuss the previous meetings as proof that you're needed.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

maffew buildings posted:

So glad we are getting Chauvin, the Last Bad Apple, gone

What makes you think this? Seems like it would be an easy win to work on getting those consent decrees back into effect for the Biden DOJ

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Texas transgender sports related bill died in committee. Then the committee chair, a Democrat, brought it back to life as an act of revenge against his fellow Democrats because his bill to make it easier for the state to take over Houston ISD died.

blUe nO maTteR Who

https://twitter.com/McGeeReports/status/1390706092766859267?s=20

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The more I watch boomers reach across party lines to gently caress people over the more I think Logan's Run had some good points.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah I'm gonna hate immediate ascension but gently caress it at this point.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

The more I watch boomers reach across party lines to gently caress people over the more I think Logan's Run had some good points.

My hatred of young people is matched only by my hatred of old people. How can we combine Logan's Run with Children of Men?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Madurai posted:

My hatred of young people is matched only by my hatred of old people. How can we combine Logan's Run with Children of Men?

Eat more plastic.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Hunger games no age restrictions 1k people a year?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
dont worry yall both most of the olds and the young are going to die miserably

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Madurai posted:

Have you watched Threads?

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

That Works posted:

Have you watched Threads?

https://twitter.com/westonfront/status/428654305453686784

This kind of reminds me of that serialized story about some mercenary in a future US that was on the front page for a little while somehow.

E: Searching, I can't find it for the life of me. It was some dude who was working with some douchebag, some reality show involving the remnants of the us gov't. Realizes at one point he's being set up to take the fall for the assassination of some organizer. Was in Cali I think?

Pine Cone Jones fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 7, 2021

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Remote work breaks the boomer and boomer-like mind because they can’t see people at their desks and that’s what they associate to productivity.

I spent a year remote and I’ve been back in the office for four months now. The productivity I lost from those alleged water cooler conversations is far, far eclipsed by the productivity lost from random people popping into my office to ask dumb questions and the logistics of being at the office instead of home.

My employer would straight up get more out of me if I was WFH, but here I am on a Friday at 16:30 watching YouTube videos because it’s dead.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah, the difference in time lost due to commute shenanigans on its own is staggering. I can roll out of bed at 8am, have a shower, pour a bowl of cereal, eat it while reading the forums for fifteen minutes, and be "at work" at 8:30 sharp, or I can get up at 7am, have a shower, skip breakfast, drive to the transit exchange, park there, get a bus over the river, get on a train, get off the train near work, walk to the office, and probably be in my chair around 8:30. If there's an accident on the bridge, I'll be some varied amount of time late. Then I have to do the same in reverse to get home.

I went into the office a couple days last month and even with only a few of us there I still felt like I was getting distracted more often than I am when working from home (I say, as I post on the forums while "at work").

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The biggest benefit for me with WFH is I can spend 16 hours doing my 8 hour day if I want.

At the office there’s a lot of distractions but the biggest distraction is “always look busy. Always. ALWAYS!!!!!!”

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
WFH is basically going to be a non-negotiable with Millennial workers now, at least majority time. Good luck putting that back in the box, Corporations.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

WFH is basically going to be a non-negotiable with Millennial workers now, at least majority time. Good luck putting that back in the box, Corporations.

The new job I took has been work from home all but one day a week, which has been great. Even better is that my boss and his boss both support staying that way, but we'll see how DoD guidance goes for the civilian side.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

CommieGIR posted:

That's probably fine with a lot of corporations - they get to outsource the expense of a workplace to their employees and present it as a perk.

I kind of hate WFH. I already have an immense caseload and always have a ton of poo poo going on. Now I don't even have my house as a respite, I have to go wander in the woods in order to get away from it all. Thankfully I live in rural Colorado so there are a lot of woods around, but I would love to just worn from my office again.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Grip it and rip it posted:

That's probably fine with a lot of corporations - they get to outsource the expense of a workplace to their employees and present it as a perk.

I kind of hate WFH. I already have an immense caseload and always have a ton of poo poo going on. Now I don't even have my house as a respite, I have to go wander in the woods in order to get away from it all. Thankfully I live in rural Colorado so there are a lot of woods around, but I would love to just worn from my office again.

I love/hate WFH. I like having more time with my family, less time in traffic, but its also harder to brow beat teams into security compliance remotely. But its likely here to stay.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Pine Cone Jones posted:

https://twitter.com/westonfront/status/428654305453686784

This kind of reminds me of that serialized story about some mercenary in a future US that was on the front page for a little while somehow.

E: Searching, I can't find it for the life of me. It was some dude who was working with some douchebag, some reality show involving the remnants of the us gov't. Realizes at one point he's being set up to take the fall for the assassination of some organizer. Was in Cali I think?

That sounds familiar, pretty sure it was one of Zack Parson's story series:

https://www.somethingawful.com/author/12/

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
A good number of businesses are looking at 14 floors of pricey real estate and noping out. Others are still pretending were six months away from going back to 'normal' and not understanding that this is the new normal.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Terrifying Effigies posted:

That sounds familiar, pretty sure it was one of Zack Parson's story series:

https://www.somethingawful.com/author/12/

Yes!

https://www.somethingawful.com/series/eastwood/

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Now that everyone is working from home, can people stop sending emails or leaving voicemails notifying me of the fact they have 'a question' or 'some questions' and please just ask the questions in the email?

Did I miss some weird online etiquette class they're teaching high school students now? Is it rude to share the content of your inquiry before the proper dance of dodging each others calls and scheduling-then-rescheduling a zoom meeting?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
My favorite is people messaging “Hi.”

Then a minute later “how are you?”

...dude just ask your loving question

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

My favorite is people messaging “Hi.”

Then a minute later “how are you?”

...dude just ask your loving question

This one is easy to deal with, just ignore them until they ask an actual question or lay out what they want.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
hey

call me when u get a chance

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

One aspect of work from home culture I like is people texting to see if it’s a good time to call. Oftentimes I can get by with a no, they’ll reply with an okay and their question, and I can answer it with a text. It saves so much time and unnecessary chitchat. Have you had similar experiences?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Retrowave Joe posted:

One aspect of work from home culture I like is people texting to see if it’s a good time to call. Oftentimes I can get by with a no, they’ll reply with an okay and their question, and I can answer it with a text. It saves so much time and unnecessary chitchat. Have you had similar experiences?

Yea. Saying "call me" will guarantee that I will never call you. Asking if you can call me will either get a "yes" or "No, just ask in text"

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

facialimpediment posted:

hey

call me when u get a chance

Maybe they want to have a conversation that is not recorded? People are sometimes more candid face to face or over the phone when there isn't an obvious record of them saying a thing.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Hekk posted:

Maybe they want to have a conversation that is not recorded? People are sometimes more candid face to face or over the phone when there isn't an obvious record of them saying a thing.

If thats the case I should make it more well known that Georgia is a one party consent state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I spell out if I think it's something that can be a long email exchange(s) or a short zoom meeting and give 3 dates/ times I am free and leave it up to them usually.