Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
i think rutibex has a point, the widespread use of english across the globe (hollywood + media that propagates american propaganda) does give the american empire a lot of soft power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mila kunis posted:

i think rutibex has a point, the widespread use of english across the globe (hollywood + media that propagates american propaganda) does give the american empire a lot of soft power

I've talked about this before, but the American stranglehold on media and cultural influence is going to make it difficult for "Chinese soft power" to come to the fore, even if the US doesn't do anything to help, or is actively harmful to, its client states, simply because lots of people are going to keep cheerleading American imperialism as being fundamentally good at worst or the-lesser-evil at best, while simultaneously considering China's proactive moves to be efforts at imperialism itself.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

that much i cant argue with its genuinely disturbing at this point how many countries are hellbent on giving the united states the benefit of the doubt no matter how gaffishly our leaders indicate we dont understand or care about any of their interests

its kind of like seeing someone date your dirtbag uncle and insist theyre a great and wonderful person despite the fact that in public he treats them just as shittily as he treats anyone else in your family

THS
Sep 15, 2017

how can non americans be convinced that this place is a crumbling pathetic nation full of homeless camps, medical debt, mass imprisonment, mass shootings, and a deeply unhealthy neurotic “culture” resulting in 20% of the population taking psychiatric drugs just so they dont jump off a bridge or have constant panic attacks

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Sure, there are bad things about America, but we also make capeshit so it evens out.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

THS posted:

how can non americans be convinced that this place is a crumbling pathetic nation full of homeless camps, medical debt, mass imprisonment, mass shootings, and a deeply unhealthy neurotic “culture” resulting in 20% of the population taking psychiatric drugs just so they dont jump off a bridge or have constant panic attacks

I swear to you, every time Duterte picks a fight with Congress, some dipshit ignoramus brings up how "at least the US still has checks-and-balances"

it's gotten even worse now that Biden has won, because people here are convinced that it means we can also VOTE!!! our way out of this mess, just like America did

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/benjaminkatzeff/status/1390239641996042242

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i just started going through and reading the china gbs thread in early february 2020, and lol the posters there were calling quarantine centers "concentration camps"

my favorite post:

quote:

This is so cruel. Instead of warehousing them, can't they just identify them as sick? Maybe something like make them wear a badge to say they're sick?

wait no just got to this one, which is very funny in retrospect:

quote:

Yeah it's too late to worry about infecting the family members. This is the point of the quarantine at home, everyone in the house gets it but it doesn't spread from there. And as I said most people get mild symptoms and if the severe cases can't be cared for elsewhere then just stay at home. It's a bad situation but it's better than taking the severe cases and cramming them all in a room together to die.

But of course you don't have to take my word for it, if the quote from the president of the Infectious Diseases Society of America doesn't persuade you then I don't see the point of arguing about it myself.

fart simpson has issued a correction as of 15:13 on May 7, 2021

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've talked about this before, but the American stranglehold on media and cultural influence is going to make it difficult for "Chinese soft power" to come to the fore, even if the US doesn't do anything to help, or is actively harmful to, its client states, simply because lots of people are going to keep cheerleading American imperialism as being fundamentally good at worst or the-lesser-evil at best, while simultaneously considering China's proactive moves to be efforts at imperialism itself.

I wonder how much of a difference this is going to make in the long term considering that the US does not have control on soft power across the world in the way they need to especially in the global south or large parts of Eurasia. Even Europe at this point is a bit of a battleground. The US isn’t going down without a fight but they have done a ton of self damage to themselves.

I mean the Philippines has a ton of American influence in it but it is also a former American colony with a large number of immigrants to the US. The fact that it is now “contested” if anything shows Americans soft power has eroded and the US is simply now pushing back.

In contrast, I think in Russia, the US has lost a lot of soft power more recently. The Navalny protests have fizzled out and I don’t think halting visas has won them any points.

Yeah I read through this thing and they didn’t provide any evidence to support their headline. It is a bit annoying.

Basically, North Korea is making more cement and probably won’t export most of it... that is it.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 16:44 on May 7, 2021

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

building things? bah, that just shows they have a lack of options. its much higher returns to ram your money into speculation instead of making things

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

gradenko_2000 posted:

It appears to me that dynamics in cultural softpower can change rather quickly with changing economic primacy

Consider how Korea has become a media export juggernaut comparable to Japan in the span of a mere decade.

Hell, america itself is an example of this. Going from a culture viewed as quaint by Europe's artistic elite to the defining world spanning culture within the span of 50 years from 1900-1950. Everyone watched american movies and listened to american songs, irregardless of language. This was mainly predicated on american economic dominance.

China is unlikely to reach the monopolization of influence golden age Hollywood enjoyed, but this comes down to the likelihood that China will not reach the status of unquestioned hegemon that America became post WW2. The Chinese will be competing in a cultural sphere with america Russia India Japan Korea and regional players like Nigeria as well as Brazil.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Dreddout posted:

It appears to me that dynamics in cultural softpower can change rather quickly with changing economic primacy

Consider how Korea has become a media export juggernaut comparable to Japan in the span of a mere decade.

Hell, america itself is an example of this. Going from a culture viewed as quaint by Europe's artistic elite to the defining world spanning culture within the span of 50 years from 1900-1950. Everyone watched american movies and listened to american songs, irregardless of language. This was mainly predicated on american economic dominance.

China is unlikely to reach the monopolization of influence golden age Hollywood enjoyed, but this comes down to the likelihood that China will not reach the status of unquestioned hegemon that America became post WW2. The Chinese will be competing in a cultural sphere with america Russia India Japan Korea and regional players like Nigeria as well as Brazil.

Yeah, the PRC is going to be in more of a "first among equals" situation than the US. However, for that to happen, the US really can't be in complete control anymore and the American elite is determined to not allow it to happen even though I don't think there is much to do economically.

The most likely result is just different players carving parts of the world out for themselves and there may not be a single united "culture" even if it would be possible to stop cross pollinization.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dreddout posted:

hollywood movies are for boomers. the chinese company Tencent controls fortenight/call of duty/world of warcraft, they are dominating the future

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

it’s our turn to be on the other side of the iron curtain looking out. gonna be more and more difficult to square the lie of life as portrayed by hollywood when china looks increasingly like wakanda irl

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Antonymous posted:

the Gutenberg press is quite plainly just making books the chinese way, by pressing movable type onto paper, instead of scribes writing on parchment, and it blew europe the gently caress up

the original fake news russian disinformation campaign

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Antonymous posted:

sorry to triple post but I remember David Graeber (I think) saying that from an outside perspective arabs are westerners since they have the same cultural origin, worship the same god, were in constant contact. Blew my mind. If you were chinese it would be hard to see how Spanish and Arabic history/cultures are somehow completely distinct but spanish/french aren't because without the lens of western racism and being embedded in the history well, the distinctions don't really exist

islamic culture especially in andalusia was as "western european" as gently caress

especially since they saved all the ancient greek texts

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Rutibex posted:

hollywood movies are for boomers. the chinese company Tencent controls fortenight/call of duty/world of warcraft, they are dominating the future

The future in the same sense that movies were the future like 60 years ago.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I think it will be increasingly like English in EU. The European are still using the language to communicate with each other but the nation state of UK will be more and more irrelevant in the European continent. But the process will take a very long time.

Also when people are talking about the Chinese "soft power", they are not refer to the Chinese culture, but rather the investment and consumer market influence. So it's not fair to use language and culture to describe the American soft power.

A good example I can think of is in the non-Westetn English media, the Al Jazeera, TRT and CNA news of the world, how many of them are following the Western media lead of calling the Uyghers camp "genocides", or the Chinese rocket falling down to crash houses, or blood cotton? I actually have looked. But my point is if these media are not following the western lead, then your "English soft power" is not as useful as you think.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 17:36 on May 7, 2021

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Ardennes posted:

In contrast, I think in Russia, the US has lost a lot of soft power more recently. The Navalny protests have fizzled out and I don’t think halting visas has won them any points.

the horror of the 90s are associated with american fueled neoliberalism and the more things get worse in russia due to the oligarchy the more people remember what they lost

its a dual hatred of the oligarchy and the american government

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Rutibex posted:

Tencent may be forced to divest those holdings.

It's also facing antitrust penalties from China's regulators.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/amnesty/status/1390674607703830530?s=20

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

muzzled for calling Caucasus peoples cockroaches

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Antonymous posted:

the Gutenberg press is quite plainly just making books the chinese way, by pressing movable type onto paper, instead of scribes writing on parchment, and it blew europe the gently caress up
it's cool how white supremacist schooling is in the west i didnt know this until this thread pointed it out just now lmao

i should just assume everything i was ever taught was a lie

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

comedyblissoption posted:

it's cool how white supremacist schooling is in the west i didnt know this until this thread pointed it out just now lmao

i should just assume everything i was ever taught was a lie

If anything, technologically speaking both the West and East were also relatively on equal terms technologically as well until around the mid-17th century. The major advantage for the West was that it started adopting flintlock firearms and the Ming Dynasty didn't (they knew about them but didn't see them as a worthy investment). If anything it was the post-Napoleonic era: accelerated enclosure and early industrialization that gave the British specifically an overwhelming advantage.

The West obviously did get an advantage but it wasn't as far back as a lot of people think it was.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 20:53 on May 7, 2021

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Ardennes posted:

If anything, technologically speaking both the West and East were also relatively on equal terms technologically as well until around the mid-17th century. The major advantage for the West was that it started adopting flintlock firearms and the Ming Dynasty didn't (they knew about them but didn't see them as a worthy investment).

The West did get an advantage but it wasn't as far back as a lot of people think it was.

The west held a decisive advantage in seamanship which is why they were able to dominate africa in that period.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

If anything, technologically speaking both the West and East were also relatively on equal terms technologically as well until around the mid-17th century. The major advantage for the West was that it started adopting flintlock firearms and the Ming Dynasty didn't (they knew about them but didn't see them as a worthy investment).

The West did get an advantage but it wasn't as far back as a lot of people think it was.

the west gained its advantage from colonialism not technology

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The turning point was the West figured out scientific method and better physics/math first.

Also reached the American continents first, which gave early capitalism a huge boost.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 21:00 on May 7, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Stairmaster posted:

The west held a decisive advantage in seamanship which is why they were able to dominate africa in that period.

no they didn't
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ming_treasure_voyages

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

The Western powers (Portuguese, Spanish, Dutch, British, French) were mostly seen by Eurasian land powers as a nuisance at worst and a useful tool towards settling continental disputes. Piracy and expropriation on a global scale, combined with constant fighting, enabled the accumulation of capital and financing mechanisms to give the West a decisive organizational advantage.

It's useful to remember that one of the reasons the British won the opium wars was the Mysorean rocket, which they took from the Indians.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Rutibex posted:

the west gained its advantage from colonialism not technology

It's this. Europeans wanted to conquer and settle and enslave, extracting wealth and resources all along the way. The Chinese did not. Whenever modern westerners assume that China or any other non-western nation state will engage in western-style imperialism in the absence of American or western hegemony is settler colonial thinking.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
wait until this thread discovers the relationship between western colonialism, china, and the global silver trade lol

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It is hard to separate colonialism and technology, specifically since the British so heavily invested in its navy in order to protect its colonial holdings in the first place.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

fart simpson posted:

i just started going through and reading the china gbs thread in early february 2020, and lol the posters there were calling quarantine centers "concentration camps"

My wife and kids were in China at the time and and we have friends who live in Wuhan so I was hate-reading those threads and getting especially annoyed at the amount of people who took Prester Jane seriously.

Prester Jane posted:

Ordinarily I would dismiss the idea that the UN would ever publicly admit that China just oopsied and accidentally released some kind of biological agent, but I actually expect that to happen in this case. You know why?

Now mind you the UN is completely crave and it would never dare criticize a country with his powerful in economy or as large and Military as China. But the thing is, China doesn't have an economy anymore. And I really mean that, China's economy no longer exists, because all its manufacturing equipment is covered in a deadly plague and until we figure out a way to deal with that there's nothing that can be done.

And in about three months, China's military isn't going to exist either. Because according to reports from the ground, all the police and members of the military who are being sent into Wuhan/ Hubei are getting infected. So without an economy to support it or Amendment, China's military will effectively cease to exist.

And once that happens China will have nothing to offer to anyone except hundreds of millions of needy refugees who are desperately fleeing for the nearest border (and probably being machine gunned while trying to cross it).

Prester Jane posted:

Imo its probably more likely that the CCP simply collapses at some point. They are basically wasting what time/resources/manpower they have on futile gestures that are ultimately just spreading the virus even further. The onus is spreading amongst everyone, the doctors and nurses, the police, the local party officials, no one is safe or immune.

You're just not much of an authoritarian state if your police/enforcers are too busy coughing their lungs out to maintain order. What happens when the tipping point is reached is really anybody's guess, ordinarily one would expect some sort of coup, but that might not happen this time.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Hedenius posted:

My wife and kids were in China at the time and and we have friends who live in Wuhan so I was hate-reading those threads and getting especially annoyed at the amount of people who took Prester Jane seriously.

what the gently caress hahahahahahahahahahaha

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9X_gxD9YYg

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Hedenius posted:

lmfao wtf

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Hedenius posted:

lmao

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Hedenius posted:

My personal funny Covid story. My folks were in GZ when China Flu hit in Jan, so all oversea Chinese were scrambling to buy n95 masks and mailed them back. I didn't do it but as soon as Taobao restocked, probably around the time the 2 temp hospitals were built, I order 2 packs and mail them over. I remember they didn't advertised them as "medical" masks cause they probably didn't have any certification.

By the time the masks were delivered a few days later, the Chinese manufacturing had already hit high gears and it was very easy to buy masks from B&M stores. So my folks just took the 2 packs I mailed, plus 3x more masks and mail them to New York. And I got them around mid March when Amazon/Homedepot were completely out of masks.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Hedenius posted:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Hedenius posted:

People dramatically leaving for BnR and then coming back a week later will never stop being a hilarious bit.