Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Bloopsy posted:

The bots are picking off cards just as quick if not quicker.

Fauxtool is literally running a bot to buy cards from Amazon now and he's still only gotten two 3080s I think? Average humans trying to use the websites by hand have literally zero chance, nada, zilch.

Your current options for getting one at MSRP or close to it are: camp out at a microcenter for a week, or have gotten on the correct EVGA queue several months ago. Or get one from fauxtool, who is offering a better deal than any of my local computer stores even when they have stock lol. That's it. Everything else is hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

punk rebel ecks posted:

Three of the 3080s.

Realistically the only 3080 queue that's moving is the 3080 FTW3 Ultra so if you didn't queue for that, good luck. Even then the 3080 FTW3 Ultra queue has only moved from 9/17 (first day of queueing) to 9/21

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

mA posted:

TBH, none of that really matters right now. Whichever card you can get without paying the 2x-3x resale tax is the right answer.

when the next mining boom hits in another 3 years you'll probably be able to sell your 3090 for $2000 again

(I mean a 1080 Ti is selling for more than when it was new...)

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
The resale market on Radeons isn't nearly as bad as the RTX cards. If you are willing to settle for one to just be done card shopping and hope things get better in the next few years, I would say it's an option.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
Rumor: AMD's answer to DLSS might be launching next month.

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1390415821386797059

mA fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 7, 2021

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020

Jimong5 posted:

The resale market on Radeons isn't nearly as bad as the RTX cards. If you are willing to settle for one to just be done card shopping and hope things get better in the next few years, I would say it's an option.

I primarily play warzone and will be playing whatever new battlefield that comes out. Am I missing out on much with no raytracing and no dlss? I'm like a week into trying to get an RTX cars and already want to give up lmao

The system I'm building will have the Ryzen 5 5600X and my current computers 1070. I play on an ultrawide at 1440p on 100Hz. Which AMD card should I shoot for? The monitor also happens to have freesync but I've always been an Nvidia guy.

Side note.....will I notice much difference in Warzone going from a 7 year old i5-4670k to the 5600x system but with the same video card(1070)? I have some serious frame rate dips right now and I'm not smart enough to know if it is a cpu bottleneck or GPU.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

molestrios posted:

I primarily play warzone and will be playing whatever new battlefield that comes out. Am I missing out on much with no raytracing and no dlss? I'm like a week into trying to get an RTX cars and already want to give up lmao

Honestly if you're only going to be playing online shooters, your reaction time is going to be such that A. You're going to want as many frames and lack of input latency as possible (so no RTX and no DLSS) and B. You're not really going to be noticing those effects

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

mA posted:

Rumor: AMD's answer to DLSS might be launching next month.
if it "requires minimal developer intervention" my bet is it's just a slightly unusual upscaling algorithm and will look only slightly better than the current methods of lower-than-native-res rendering. so the dev intervention will mostly just be adding it as an option to whatever method they have of already doing that.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The hell does it mean for an upscaler to be implemented "early in the pipeline"? Upscaling by definition works as a post-process at the very end of the pipeline

This reeks of the same bullshit as the DLSS 3.0 "works with any game that uses TAA" rumour

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

also 2 months ago AMD said they were still evaluating which approach to use for FSR, getting from there to a launchable product in 3 months seems like a stretch

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

repiv posted:

The hell does it mean for an upscaler to be implemented "early in the pipeline"? Upscaling by definition works as a post-process at the very end of the pipeline

This reeks of the same bullshit as the DLSS 3.0 "works with any game that uses TAA" rumour

maybe there is a way to preprocess a bunch of stuff early to make the stuff at the end really quick? :shrug: At least we wont have to wait long to find out it's BS.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

repiv posted:

What? Upscaling is just a transformation that you apply to some pixels. You can do it anywhere in the graphics pipeline. DLSS is an example of an upscaling transformation that occurs early in the pipeline, with some render stages and most post-processing effects applied to the full resolution image.

The fact that AMD's solution is integrated earlier is a good sign that it might actually be competitive with DLSS. I wouldn't believe them if they said it was just some magic algorithm that can be tacked on at the end and blow any image up to double its size without losing quality.

Lol that it's going to be compatible with Nvidia cards though. I mean that's great for gamers and for Nvidia but it's not super compelling to buy an AMD card when they only use their solution but Nvidia can do both

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Sagebrush posted:

Lol that it's going to be compatible with Nvidia cards though. I mean that's great for gamers and for Nvidia but it's not super compelling to buy an AMD card when they only use their solution but Nvidia can do both

no, but similar to freesync it makes it more attractive to implement if it hits a wider market

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

molestrios posted:

The system I'm building will have the Ryzen 5 5600X and my current computers 1070. I play on an ultrawide at 1440p on 100Hz. Which AMD card should I shoot for? The monitor also happens to have freesync but I've always been an Nvidia guy.

Side note.....will I notice much difference in Warzone going from a 7 year old i5-4670k to the 5600x system but with the same video card(1070)? I have some serious frame rate dips right now and I'm not smart enough to know if it is a cpu bottleneck or GPU.

If you can score a 6800xt, it's roughly at the performance level of the RTX 3080, so it'll give you very high FPS on most games at high settings on your setup and last you at lest until the next generation of GPUs. A 6700xt, is also really good and is about equivalent to a RTX 3070 in performance at 1440p.

mA fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 7, 2021

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020

mA posted:

If you can score a 6800xt, it's roughly at the performance level of the RTX 3080, so it'll give you very high FPS on most games at high settings on your setup.

Thanks, I'll add it to the search list haha

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Running Battlecruiser 3000AD with FSR via Blast Processing on my Ouya's Cell-based CPU Reality Synthesizer Emotion Engine with primitive shaders supported by Xbox Cloud Computing and Sony's PCIe SSD compression on my 3DTV with integrated Google Stadia, all on my Bitboyz Glaze3D in SLI.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

What? Upscaling is just a transformation that you apply to some pixels. You can do it anywhere in the graphics pipeline. DLSS is an example of an upscaling transformation that occurs early in the pipeline, with some render stages and most post-processing effects applied to the full resolution image.

I think we have different definitions of early/late in the pipeline, I'd call anything that happens after shading "late" but whatever that's open to interpretation

I'll quote what Coreteks says in the video to clarify what I mean

quote:

It's also going to be implemented early in the pipeline instead of DLSS, which is a bolt-on feature at the end of the pipeline

Regardless of how you define each stage of the pipeline DLSS is as early as it can be, upscaling right after the lighting is calculated, and he suggests that FSR somehow slots in even earlier than that

How are you going to upscale an image that hasn't been generated yet?

repiv fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 7, 2021

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

repiv posted:

How are you going to upscale an image that hasn't been generated yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_-TJjV8d8g

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Dang they finally made a good Matrix game

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

oh yeah coreteks is the mind that brought us "ampere has a separate raytracing co-processor on the back of the board" so making poo poo up is his forte

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvqakws0CeU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

repiv posted:

oh yeah coreteks is the mind that brought us "ampere has a separate raytracing co-processor on the back of the board" so making poo poo up is his forte

no but his videos are two hours long so he has to be right

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I won! Thanks, Newegg!

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Cygni posted:

Battlecruiser 3000AD

Oh wow I remember trying to play this game as a wee lad and not understanding a single thing about it. I'm struggling to remember and probably misremembering, but the first mission in probably the tutorial mode was to try and moor your drat ship or something and, yep, never managed to do it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Oh wow I remember trying to play this game as a wee lad and not understanding a single thing about it. I'm struggling to remember and probably misremembering, but the first mission in probably the tutorial mode was to try and moor your drat ship or something and, yep, never managed to do it.

Ah the classic experience of playing a simulator as a too-young child. Mine was Jane’s ATF flight simulator, and never learning how to lock onto targets, so I would try to shoot them down from miles away with “dumb” missiles that never stood a chance of connecting with anything but clouds.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The Jane's games had sick intros. I had ATF and Longbow, and yeah similarly had basically no idea what I was doing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

AMD's existing CAS tech is compatible with NVidia cards, so it's not entirely surprising for this to be the case.

Like, I don't know if I believe this Coreteks guy but I've always personally thought that AMD's DLSS competitor is going to trade off visual fidelity/quality in exchange for ease-of-adoption.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The fact that this poo poo is going on still, in May, is wild to me and holy gently caress am I glad I tried for a 3080 FE back then, wow.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I will not be the least bit surprised if it’s still like this by next May.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Folks itt not understanding that this is the new normal under end stage capitalism lol

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Crunchy Black posted:

Folks itt not understanding that this is the new normal under end stage capitalism lol

Winning is no longer winning the actual product. It's winning the opportunity to buy said product :v:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Crunchy Black posted:

oh man I got transported right back to the mid 2000's with edgy teens doomposting on the internet :allears:

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

How many semiconductor manufacturers are there? Isn't TSMC the biggest?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zotix posted:

How many semiconductor manufacturers are there? Isn't TSMC the biggest?

Intel, TSMC, and Samsung are the big ones.

Global Foundries is another, but I don't know what they're producing that's still relevant to our particular slice of the market.

SK Hynix is also a big semicon manufacturer, but for DRAM and NAND flash.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ijyt posted:

oh man I got transported right back to the mid 2000's with edgy teens doomposting on the internet :allears:

did people talk about capitalism then?

it all seemed like suicide jokes

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

ijyt posted:

You misunderstand what's going on in the world right now.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

ijyt posted:

The fact that this poo poo is going on still, in May, is wild to me and holy gently caress am I glad I tried for a 3080 FE back then, wow.

"Things will ease up in the second half of December."

"Supply will normalize in February."

"Everything is hosed."

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

“First they came for the...” speech except it’s a choosey beggar who refused every card because he wasn’t a developer, gamer, or miner until there’s no cards left

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

ijyt posted:

If this is back to pre-mining craze price levels within a year I’ll buy you a GPU. Wait. I can’t.

The Ferret King posted:

You misunderstand what's going on in the world right now.

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I've seen enough cycles of this poo poo before to figure that it'll probably be about this time next year when things settle down.

Again if you listen to the manufacturing side of things they're making as many as they normally do. It's all down to a handful of corporations not caring whether they sell 1 card each to 90 guys to 90 cards to just 1 guy, and that's nothing a little extended shaming wouldn't solve.