Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BLOOD AND GUTS
This poll is closed.
HORRIBLE 1 0.63%
MEH 16 10.06%
GOOD 74 46.54%
GREAT 68 42.77%
Total: 159 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
couple weeks ago i forget which match but bootlegging came up and taz dropped a rochelle, rochelle reference and just holy poo poo lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Remember back in the day when WCW did weird shoot promos like the Sid scissors one? It sticks out to me because it was written about in Death of WCW about how it didn't work because only a small amount of the audience even knew what they were talking about.

These days more promos in AEW have some shoot elements - MJF and Jericho come to mind in recent memory - but these land. I wonder if it's just because the audience knows more or if they are just done better.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shard posted:

Remember back in the day when WCW did weird shoot promos like the Sid scissors one? It sticks out to me because it was written about in Death of WCW about how it didn't work because only a small amount of the audience even knew what they were talking about.

These days more promos in AEW have some shoot elements - MJF and Jericho come to mind in recent memory - but these land. I wonder if it's just because the audience knows more or if they are just done better.
The scissors thing makes literally zero sense if you don't know the story already. "You were a dorky kid on Rosie O'Donnell" makes sense whether you'd heard about it before or not.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Benne posted:

He literally hasn't wrestled anywhere since WWE released him last year. I think he's done.

He didn't wrestle anywhere before they released him either :dadjoke:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

You know you've made it as a wrestler when you get the rapper reference.

RIP DOOM :gaz:

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

DrVenkman posted:

You know you've made it as a wrestler when you get the rapper reference.

A lot of AEW wrestlers, specifically tag teams, have been referenced by a rapper

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

is pepsi ok posted:

He didn't wrestle anywhere before they released him either :dadjoke:

Yeah he was a good worker and even The Rock used him as a training partner to get back into ring shape because he was a solid wrestler, but unfortunately Mr. Perfect's genetics didn't quite transfer over - he didn't have the 'look' that McMahon usually favors.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

jesus WEP posted:

The scissors thing makes literally zero sense if you don't know the story already. "You were a dorky kid on Rosie O'Donnell" makes sense whether you'd heard about it before or not.
"Making sense" aside, there is also a world of difference between 1999-2000 and 2020-2021 in that pretty much anyone watching Dynamite could look up "MJF Rosie O'Donnell" while watching it and see the clip (or look up "kenny omega ibushi" or "christian cage impact" or whatever other "insider" reference incredibly easy on their phone during a commercial break or hell, during the promo. That wasn't the case when WCW was doing it.

I also think it's part and parcel to how a lot of people consume entertainment in 2021 versus 1999, taking it outside of wrestling, the overwhelming majority of people seem to enjoy television and films where there are Easter Eggs and references and an entire cottage industry of "here's the backstory of that character/company/historical reference that had three seconds of screen time in the latest Marvel/Star Wars/Game of Thrones/Good Place/Watchmen/Stranger Things/American Horror Story/etc. episode!" articles/websites.

Which is why I also think it's funny when people expend so much energy asking HOW IS ANYONE WATCHING DYNAMITE SUPPOSED TO KNOW WHO KENTA IS, I BET THIS TURNS PEOPLE OFF OF THE SHOW when signficantly more popular television programs have audiences that generally flip their poo poo with excitement when they get to google "Agatha Harkness" or "Bo-Katan" or "Ida B Wells" or whatever.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Sorry to go to Max Caster discourse again but he's genuinely one of my favourites at the moment. About a year back, he posted a music video dealing with MH stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lc6hTXNE7Y

I found it just after watching Acclaimed vs Inner Circle and left a comment about how it was great to see a wrestler being so vulnerable and then seeing them again at a better point in their life. I got a message from Shook Crew (not sure if it was Max) telling me to keep being strong. His rhymes can miss the mark sometimes but anyone trying to say Max is "pretty much Trump" is mad.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Sorry to go to Max Caster discourse again but he's genuinely one of my favourites at the moment. About a year back, he posted a music video dealing with MH stuff:

I found it just after watching Acclaimed vs Inner Circle and left a comment about how it was great to see a wrestler being so vulnerable and then seeing them again at a better point in their life. I got a message from Shook Crew (not sure if it was Max) telling me to keep being strong. His rhymes can miss the mark sometimes but anyone trying to say Max is "pretty much Trump" is mad.

This is real cool, thanks for posting

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think my problem with Castor... and where I can kinda get the Trump comparison... is that his stuff feels like it comes from the same kind of Twitter internet poo poo posting kind of energy that Trump's whole thing kind of commandeered and got intertwined with. And that's a pretty broad spectrum of people and ideas so calling them all the same thing doesn't work, but also like the free flowing movement of stuff like "cuck" across political and idealogical lines kind of personifies to me what a mess it is. And I'm just sick of that "internet poisoned" stuff and how toxic it can be so Castor adapting it as a gimmick just has go away heat for me.

On the flip side its no surprise that it appeals to people who like that stuff or aren't as beat down by it and have fun with harmless people like Nyla Rose or Maki Itoh. So its largely a matter of perspective.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Tarnop posted:

I thought he called them the Young Cooks and now I think about it I want to see someone with a chef gimmick

Dragon Gate's head ref used to have a baker gimmick when he was active. He would hit people with baguettes and also pretended to be Italian. Eventually he admitted he didn't know how to bake and was actually raised as a fisherman so he got kicked out of his unit until he learned how to bake.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
max caster, the freestyling wrestling president of the united states

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I like the Acclaim now for their ability to get so many people to come out and tell us which stereotypes in their head they've put the Acclaim in.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i don't know how someone can be on SA for over a decade and not be down with people with shitposter energy

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Strong On Cinema energy in this post

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

me @ this thread:

https://twitter.com/OfficialTAZ/status/1390761332404850695

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Gumball Gumption posted:

I like the Acclaim now for their ability to get so many people to come out and tell us which stereotypes in their head they've put the Acclaim in.

this lol

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Taz's farts definitely reek

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Holy poo poo MJF is cool. Check out his twitter pic and background

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
for posterity

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Benne posted:

He literally hasn't wrestled anywhere since WWE released him last year. I think he's done.

I'm not sure a guy who probably had a bunch of money saved up from sitting in catering choosing not to wrestle during a global pandemic is a good measuring stick of retirement

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Gumball Gumption posted:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

all i hear when I see this is "I... AM TUROK"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

There is a lot of really cool stuff on the Shook Crew page and it's amazing Max is getting to do the same thing in front of a million people a week.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

:discourse:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Gumball Gumption posted:

they're truly fantastic heels

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Somewhere, at this very moment, Eddie Kingston got the sudden urge to punch someone, and he doesn't know why.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
If the Acclaimed have go away heat, why don't the people they have heat with go away?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

ThePariah posted:

If the Acclaimed have go away heat, why don't the people they have heat with go away?

naw, there's some good posters in that group

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jonny Nox posted:

Citation needed

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jonny Nox posted:

Thanks

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

late but im watching the sammy vlog and griff's laughinging "no we can't beat him up, he'd gently caress us up" was incredible and i love the boy band

e: poo poo the dean alexander bit is also great

boxcarhobo fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 7, 2021

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

boxcarhobo posted:

late but im watching the sammy vlog and griff's laughinging "no we can't beat him up, he'd gently caress us up" was incredible and i love the boy band

That was an all time great episode. I was laughing my rear end off almost the entire time.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Max is gonna pay a million dollars to the first person that names their kid "Clap, Bowens Is Back"

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

fite censored QTs rear end

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Wasn't QT's rear end always censored? It was Dax's rear end that slipped through because it was live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Pylons posted:

Wasn't QT's rear end always censored? It was Dax's rear end that slipped through because it was live.

it may have been and i didnt realize it at the time, but i love the image