Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Braksgirl posted:

That tracks. You especially have to do the loud "EXCUSE ME" to the people that inevitably suddenly come to a complete stop right in front you in the middle of the loving walkway.

OMG I thought my wife was the only one that did this. Except she loudly yells NOOOO when people stop. She yells alot of other things too. NJ Italian fully comes out of her in Disney crowds, along with some of her crazy Irish side. Add those with not having a filter most of the time and she doesn't mix well with Disney crowds LOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Sounds like MNSSHP is happening this year https://twitter.com/DisneyParks/status/1390283909951365124

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Rumor is masks off by mid August just in time for MNSSHP decorations to start.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Douchebag posted:

OMG I thought my wife was the only one that did this. Except she loudly yells NOOOO when people stop. She yells alot of other things too. NJ Italian fully comes out of her in Disney crowds, along with some of her crazy Irish side. Add those with not having a filter most of the time and she doesn't mix well with Disney crowds LOL.

Give me her email address because I think she and I should be besties.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

alg posted:

one thing i've learned about Disney in my several trips is that I, and it seems like most everyone else there is the same, don't give a gently caress about what other people think of me. If we can wear masks, and we need to, we will. same with planes.

Never thought about that til now, but yeah. You're in a place where you're mind's too busy with a dozen other things in addition to a slight sensory overload. Maybe I would care in lines, but at that point I'm usually on my phone.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Eyyy I'm Waltin 'ere!

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Douchebag posted:

My wife has the crazy NJ half Irish / half Scottish thing going on and she’ll yell out “you’re welcome” when people don’t acknowledge her when she holds the door or let’s someone go in front of her.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Disney announced it will have After Hours Boo Bash at Magic Kingdom instead of Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. I feel the Disboards torches getting warmed up now.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

What's the difference?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

There aren't a lot of details yet but it sounds like it's similar to Villains After Hours rather than the normal Halloween party. I don't know exactly what that means since I never made it to a Villains After Hours.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Braksgirl posted:

There aren't a lot of details yet but it sounds like it's similar to Villains After Hours rather than the normal Halloween party. I don't know exactly what that means since I never made it to a Villains After Hours.

We had tickets to Villains After Hours for our trip at the end of March last year :(

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

The main difference I see so far is that it starts later at 9 pm. Not that that's huge or anything but people with littles might find that less convenient.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

oh, no big deal. its halloween, it will be fun. not sure what people are expecting, it's a fuckin' pandemic at a park people visit from all over the world

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I think closing the park early several nights a week when it's going to be loving HOPPING would be a logistical nightmare for crowds so this seems like the best solution.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
The other difference I noted was people with event tickets can't enter until 7pm, if memory serves, party tickets used to allow entry at 4pm

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I hadn't realized that DeSantis's largely meaningless directive on vaccine records has now evolved into a full legislative bill that fines companies thousands of dollars per incident of asking anyone for vaccination records. Headlines say Norwegian Cruise Line is already threatening to leave the state over being able to not ask either passengers or their own employees for vaccine records, so I'm kind of curious how Disney plans to not just fall apart aside from furious lobbying at the state capitol.

I guess the CP relaunch buys some time since it gives them a bunch of labor on their parents health plans instead on the company's own.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

DeSantis wins that stare down, right? I'm guessing that capacity for all the ships that port in Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, and Port Canaveral simply doesn't exist in any other state, and certainly not in a way that would let them re-locate quickly. Like, didn't Royal Caribbean just build a giant new port terminal in Ft. Lauderdale?

PS pee pee doo doo he is a bad governor

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Cruise lines win in court because the state has no power to regulate cruise ships.

More likely is that the state reluctantly bends over for the cruise lines because they can just pick up their business and go elsewhere. Some have already made plans to sail out of Nassau or other ports.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Cruise is a global industry, so ships that set off from one place can be moved to new routes. NCL's CEO is hoping in interviews that the feds will trample states rights and tell Florida that the CDC overrules them here, but failing that they will simply move boats to adjacent Caribbean nations. They may have something because cruise ships are basically not "property" of one state or another.

Miami-Dade just spent about a quarter of a billion in corporate welfare money to buy NCL a flashy new terminal, too.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 7, 2021

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
The quote from Norwegian Cruise Line is the best part:

"" posted:

Frank Del Rio, the CEO of Norwegian Cruise Line, reportedly said Thursday: “At the end of the day, cruise ships have motors, propellers, and rudders, and [if] God forbid we can’t operate in the state of Florida for whatever reason, then there are other states that we do operate from, and we can operate from the Caribbean for a ship that otherwise would have gone to Florida.”

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Even I’d they’d prefer Florida in the long term, cruise ships can absolutely out wait any dumb Florida vaccine law.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Yeah, I mean, I get that ships can move around, but like airplanes, I figured that they were somewhat limited by where they can move to by sheer capacity. It feels like the 3 cities, each with large, if not massive, ports serviced by major international airports would be scrambling to find the logistical capacity in the islands.

I do think "we can work with other states" is not a guarantee - other shitpile states are going to pass similarly stupid anti-public health laws, and Louisiana and Texas have a lot of shitheads in their legislatures. I don't really know if they have the numbers, though. I...guess they could reposition all their ships to New England and the Pacific. They won't draw as many people with the Caribbean itineraries, but its gotta be better than none.

Craptacular! posted:

Miami-Dade just spent about a quarter of a billion in corporate welfare money to buy NCL a flashy new terminal, too.

That being said, I completely forgot about the corporate welfare angle. Now that's funny (as is the NCL statement).

EDIT: Also, "they can wait it out" is probably guesswork, right? We've spent a year talking about how Disney and Universal are hemorrhaging cash operating at partial capacity, and they own most of their own poo poo. And the cruise lines have been zeroed out on revenue completely. Don't cruise lines finance their boats?

Boxman fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 7, 2021

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Boxman posted:

Yeah, I mean, I get that ships can move around, but like airplanes, I figured that they were somewhat limited by where they can move to by sheer capacity. It feels like the 3 cities, each with large, if not massive, ports serviced by major international airports would be scrambling to find the logistical capacity in the islands.

I do think "we can work with other states" is not a guarantee - other shitpile states are going to pass similarly stupid anti-public health laws, and Louisiana and Texas have a lot of shitheads in their legislatures. I don't really know if they have the numbers, though. I...guess they could reposition all their ships to New England and the Pacific. They won't draw as many people with the Caribbean itineraries, but its gotta be better than none.

That being said, I completely forgot about the corporate welfare angle. Now that's funny (as is the NCL statement).

EDIT: Also, "they can wait it out" is probably guesswork, right? We've spent a year talking about how Disney and Universal are hemorrhaging cash operating at partial capacity, and they own most of their own poo poo. And the cruise lines have been zeroed out on revenue completely. Don't cruise lines finance their boats?

At least Louisiana has a Democratic governor who has some sense. But IIRC the New Orleans port isn't ideal for megaships, but there's obviously cruises there now.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I think NOLA can fit 1, maybe 2 ships at a time, and definitely not the huge ones.
Might have better luck with Galveston. I think they would just bail on US entirely and go to europe cruises for a bit until things blow over. Hell, they might have more luck since silly US regulations don't allow "cruises to nowhere"

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Boxman posted:

Lower income somewhere else (or just getting out of town and operating out of Europe for a while) is better than trying to operate out of Florida, being unable to check vaccination status, and having an entire cruise have to turn around on day two because somebody's infected half the people onboard with COVID.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/SpicyPrawn/status/1390652647833673732

Muppet Haunted Mansion special this Fall.

Do the needful and get rid of Nightmare Before XMas and make it Muppets

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Tim Whatley posted:

get rid of Nightmare Before XMas and make it Muppets

cosigned

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Boxman posted:

Cruising is a kind of weird hobby wherein people are so rich they fly to cities that would be vacation destinations for more ordinary people just to use as a point of departure for somewhere else.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Tim Whatley posted:

https://twitter.com/SpicyPrawn/status/1390652647833673732

Muppet Haunted Mansion special this Fall.

Do the needful and get rid of Nightmare Before XMas and make it Muppets

one of the best WDW specials they ever filmed was that stupid thing where the muppets go to walt disney world

So I'm really, really looking forward to this. Like, typical Haunted Mansion fans levels of weird looking forward to this. And maybe that's amplified by the pandemic and maybe it's not but oh my goodness :3:

Craptacular! posted:

Cruising is a kind of weird hobby wherein people are so rich they fly to cities that would be vacation destinations for more ordinary people just to use as a point of departure for somewhere else.

I think you have to like boating to like cruising, if that makes sense. And boating, as a hobby, has a really steep entry fee for a lot of people. I can't swim but I love the water. I love being out on boats. We've rented WDW boats a couple of times and had a great time. The really short cruises I've been on were loads of fun, but the idea of being trapped in the ocean for a week isn't really appealing.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I hate the ocean and water and everything to do with it. Fill it with concrete for all I care.

I loving love cruising. It's an awesome hotel where you wind up in a different city every time you wake up.

Only ever cruised on Royal Caribbean 'cause my wife worked there for years. Apparently, I'm very spoiled because the other lines like Carnival and Norwegian suck in comparison. We have cruise credit we need to use sometime in 2022. Our stupid loving governor will not win out over the tourism industry here in Florida.

I'd love to go on a Disney cruise some day.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Craptacular! posted:

Someone has never sailed from Mobile or New Orleans on Carnival I see…..

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yeah while there are always locals on Florida cruises the vast majority (except maybe 3-days) are from elsewhere. Getting a flight from the Midwest or East coast to Nassau isn't really more difficult than one to Orlando or Miami. Especially since you already need a passport to cruise.

San Juan and NY/NJ are also major cruise departure ports that I bet would be fine with vaccine rules.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

This is...quite the take. Cruising is amazingly affordable, especially when using cheaper cruise lines and staying in the inside staterooms, and especially when compared to the high cost of other vacations, such as Disney World. I’m not saying they’re cheap, but “rich people” is quite the stretch.

Cruising (as much I love them) is horrible for so many other reasons, including environmental impact, lovely labor standards, among others.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Nottherealaborn posted:

This is...quite the take. Cruising is amazingly affordable, especially when using cheaper cruise lines and staying in the inside staterooms, and especially when compared to the high cost of other vacations, such as Disney World. I’m not saying they’re cheap, but “rich people” is quite the stretch.

Cruising (as much I love them) is horrible for so many other reasons, including environmental impact, lovely labor standards, among others.

I think you took this wrong. I read it more like "plenty of people are willing to fly to Europe or Alaska to cruise so needing to fly to Nassau, San Juan, or New York isn't a stretch."

Edit: FYI there is a cruise thread since we are way off topic here now: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876784

Zero One fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 7, 2021

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Zero One posted:

I think you took this wrong. I read it more like "plenty of people are willing to fly to Europe or Alaska to cruise so needing to fly to Nassau, San Juan, or New York isn't a stretch."

Edit: FYI there is a cruise thread since we are way off topic here now: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876784

The people going to Florida for cruises aren't flying to Europe, so the comparison isn't really valid. Florida is where a ton of cheap cruises depart from and it's way cheaper to get to somewhere like Orlando than it is Nassau. There are cruises out of Orlando that are 5 nights for <$300. Flights to Nassau are gonna cost more than the cruise itself

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

skipdogg posted:

Someone has never sailed from Mobile or New Orleans on Carnival I see…..

Hey, hold the gently caress up, only we are able to say our city is trash. You haven't earned that

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Jose Valasquez posted:

The people going to Florida for cruises aren't flying to Europe, so the comparison isn't really valid. Florida is where a ton of cheap cruises depart from and it's way cheaper to get to somewhere like Orlando than it is Nassau. There are cruises out of Orlando that are 5 nights for <$300. Flights to Nassau are gonna cost more than the cruise itself

Weekend booze cruises wouldn't depart Nassau. If they even have those to start. Those can be out of any US port on the East coast.

But a 7 night to the far western or eastern Caribbean is a different story. Those are already multiple thousands of dollars for most rooms before all the add ons. An extra couple hundred to go to Nassau vs Orlando isn't much when you dropped $900 on a cabana in St. Martin.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

couldcareless posted:

Hey, hold the gently caress up, only we are able to say our city is trash. You haven't earned that

Don't get me wrong, I love, love, love New Orleans. Nowhere like it anywhere else, but when I sailed on my 1st and only cruise (so far), a Carnival out of NOLA..... it wasn't a bunch of fancy folk flying in to cruise. I'd say most folks lived in driving distance to the cruise terminal.

Braksgirl posted:

I think closing the park early several nights a week when it's going to be loving HOPPING would be a logistical nightmare for crowds so this seems like the best solution.

To get back on WDW topic, I strongly dislike when they close the parks early for hard ticket events. I have no issue with them keeping them open after regular hours, but we'll never go back in Sept or October because of MNSSHP closing down MK 4 nights a week early.

I'm not opposed to hard ticket events.. we've done MNSSHP, and several DAH events, and for the most part thought they were a decent value. MK DAH totally was worth it, but them shutting MK down at 7pm 4 times a week really messes with the way we like to spend our time at WDW.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Zero One posted:

But a 7 night to the far western or eastern Caribbean is a different story. Those are already multiple thousands of dollars for most rooms before all the add ons. An extra couple hundred to go to Nassau vs Orlando isn't much when you dropped $900 on a cabana in St. Martin.

I'm not talking booze cruises, I'm talking eastern Caribbean. I mean, you can certainly pay multiple thousands for a room if you try, but you can easily do a 7 night eastern Caribbean cruise out of Florida for way less than that. Even balcony rooms on Carnival or Royal Caribbean can be had for less than that.

https://www.priceoftravel.com/2819/cheapest-cruise-lines-for-caribbean-cruises-13-lines-ranked-by-price/ compares example prices last year before the poo poo hit the fan, until you get to the Disney cruise level none of them are starting at more than $1k per person. Yes, they have rooms that are more expensive, but there are a poo poo ton of cheap rooms on a cruise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Jose Valasquez posted:

I'm not talking booze cruises, I'm talking eastern Caribbean. I mean, you can certainly pay multiple thousands for a room if you try, but you can easily do a 7 night eastern Caribbean cruise out of Florida for way less than that. Even balcony rooms on Carnival or Royal Caribbean can be had for less than that.

https://www.priceoftravel.com/2819/cheapest-cruise-lines-for-caribbean-cruises-13-lines-ranked-by-price/ compares example prices last year before the poo poo hit the fan, until you get to the Disney cruise level none of them are starting at more than $1k per person. Yes, they have rooms that are more expensive, but there are a poo poo ton of cheap rooms on a cruise

You talked about 5 night cruises. 3/4/5s out of FL typically only went to the Bahamas.

Also note that I said per room. At a typical 2 person minimum most of those you link are over $1000 per room.

Could you find a (pre-covid) deal on a 7 night interior stateroom then not spend any other money the rest of the trip? Sure. And those people may not go to Nassau, San Juan, or New York. But the vast majority of cruisers spend a ton of money on a 7-night so there will be people willing to fly to cruise again.

Royal Caribbean seems to agree with me: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/03/24/new-adventure-of-the-seas-sailings-out-of-nassau-bahamas-now-available-book

And so does Norwegian who started this derail by saying that they were perfectly able to leave Florida.

But what do I know?

Zero One fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 7, 2021